General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Sync - how do you utilize playlists?

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/14, 04:52 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Sync - how do you utilize playlists?

I have a 2011 GT Premium, with Sync. Works great. I have my entire music library on a 16gb flash drive. But I'm curious if anyone knows how to segregate specific playlists - like in iTunes? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10/23/14, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
I have a 2011 GT Premium, with Sync. Works great. I have my entire music library on a 16gb flash drive. But I'm curious if anyone knows how to segregate specific playlists - like in iTunes? Any help will be appreciated.
You can do it in iTunes, but the iTunes playlist format is different from Windows. (Linux uses / slashes, Windows uses \ slashes, for example)

It was easier for me to load the playlist into windows media player, create the playlists, and then there's a program out there that will copy your selected playlists over to the flash drive with the right formatting for the playlists and Sync. Using iTunes to do this part was a pain in the **** so I just gave up and did it in Windows Media Player.

There's also a program out there that will take your iTunes music and convert it so you won't get the "Bad Media" message on music it won't play.

The "Bad Media" message comes from songs that don't have all the fields filled out. the program just shoves an "Unknown" into the fields that aren't filled out which fixes the Bad Media message.
Old 10/23/14, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Critical Mass
You can do it in iTunes, but the iTunes playlist format is different from Windows. (Linux uses / slashes, Windows uses \ slashes, for example)

It was easier for me to load the playlist into windows media player, create the playlists, and then there's a program out there that will copy your selected playlists over to the flash drive with the right formatting for the playlists and Sync. Using iTunes to do this part was a pain in the **** so I just gave up and did it in Windows Media Player.

There's also a program out there that will take your iTunes music and convert it so you won't get the "Bad Media" message on music it won't play.

The "Bad Media" message comes from songs that don't have all the fields filled out. the program just shoves an "Unknown" into the fields that aren't filled out which fixes the Bad Media message.
---
Thanks. I don't have the 'bad media' issue you mention. I only need help with play lists. You sound like you know your stuff. Any chance you can translate some of your 'out there' comments to more specific instructions?
Old 10/24/14, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Thanks. I don't have the 'bad media' issue you mention. I only need help with play lists. You sound like you know your stuff. Any chance you can translate some of your 'out there' comments to more specific instructions?
Using iTunes, try the app "Playlist Exporter"

It might work for you.
Old 10/26/14, 07:25 PM

I throw them all into Winamp and then export them from there as m3u files. Save them directly to the USB drive not inside any folder. Then just say "play playlist filename" after hitting the sync button to listen to your tunes.
Old 10/26/14, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by RaceRed-GT
I throw them all into Winamp and then export them from there as m3u files. Save them directly to the USB drive not inside any folder. Then just say "play playlist filename" after hitting the sync button to listen to your tunes.
---
Thanks RR. After reading around, I do understand about the m3u file format. I just don't want to have to manually re-build the playlists for my flash drive, for the car...call me lazy, whatever. So...that being said...can you tell me the what/where/how on 'Winamp'?
Old 10/29/14, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

It takes some work. I just finished consolidating my entire library on my new Mac Book Pro (SSD Drive 512 gigs). And am going to go through and do the metatagging and all the work. set up the playlists, and export them via WPL instead of M3U (seems to work better with Sync).

I'm determined to get it done using iTunes because my Windows Laptop (I call it Monster) - HDX18 with 3 terrabytes worth of HDD space, is my HTPC and is used for ripping and converting my movies for the home network and the processing time used up for the music is annoying.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 10/29/14 at 10:50 AM.