General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Save the Manuals and the Convertibles?

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/14, 11:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
Ive driven a few and the fact that it does bring your attention to driving makes it safer IMO compared to automatics where all you have to worr about is the gas and brake pedals.
I'm afraid I must disagree. Having to pay attention to the clutch and gear shift are not the things that will make you safer. Staying alert to what is in front of you, behind you, and coming out of streets and driveways beside you is what makes you safer. The less you have to distract you from those things the better off you are. I do understand what you are getting at, that it's easier to become lulled into failure to observe what's around you when you don't have to stay alert to shift. However, either you are a good driver and your eyes are always moving or you are an accident waiting to happen.
Old 2/8/14, 11:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I think manual gearboxes will go the way or the carburetor in the future. Still around, still able to be purchased and installed in vehicles, just not really available on new cars. It's a logical progression, really...computer controlled gearboxes are becoming better, faster and more intelligent. Whether it's a true automatic or a paddle shift manual, at the end of the day they can get the job done faster then a human.

I see it this way: lots of folks like driving and building and restoring old vehicles. I like it to, there's a certain greatness in driving a classic car. Yeah it leaks everywhere and the engine pollutes a bunch and it's loud and rattles and whatever...but it's still nice. But nobody is buying a brand new car built like a 1968 Mustang. It's a small niche and it's likely to get smaller as not everyone is concerned with the "feel". A lot of folks just want what's fastest.

Which is likely why a lot of supercars and higher end sports cars don't bother with regular manual gearboxes any longer. The computer controlled/assisted gearboxes shift much quicker, meaning better numbers on paper and at the track. I think the market for such cars has shifted to folks who aren't concerned with using a clutch, but are concerned with how fast it goes.
Old 2/9/14, 12:41 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
I'm afraid I must disagree. Having to pay attention to the clutch and gear shift are not the things that will make you safer. Staying alert to what is in front of you, behind you, and coming out of streets and driveways beside you is what makes you safer. The less you have to distract you from those things the better off you are. I do understand what you are getting at, that it's easier to become lulled into failure to observe what's around you when you don't have to stay alert to shift. However, either you are a good driver and your eyes are always moving or you are an accident waiting to happen.
I see your point. I do a mirror check very very frequently, maybe every 20-30 seconds. Also my foot is half on the gas pedal ready to hit the brakes if need be. One hand on the shifter ready to downshift (yes in an automatic) and i always check my surroundings almost as fequently as my mirror checks. But still you can be the perfect driver but someone can still come along and ruin your day.
Ive witnessed cops slam into civilian cars because their talkin into the radios, texting (yes law officers breaking the law), speeding, or just not paying attention so anyone can fall victim.
Manual transmission just remind you more to focus on actually driving instead of worrying about your phone or even radio station
Old 2/9/14, 02:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
A manual is "safer" in that it helps prevent drivers falling asleep at the wheel, assuming the vehicle is driven in traffic or town. On the highway, it's no different than an auto.

I don't answer my phone when in the car. I have voicemail and I return calls if I need to. I don't text or read texts when in the car, I don't touch or mess with the phone in any way whatsoever. I always choose a playlist, load it and begin playing it, start the car and go. I can switch between the radio, satellite, playlist, etc., with a push of a button. I want so badly for texting/talking/using the phone in any way with your hands to be a felony. It would almost completely stop and people would quit having accidents because of it. I also want deaths as a result of that kind of negligence to be something other than manslaughter. Minimum should be negligent homicide. If a DUI can get you arrested and they're no less dangerous than a distracted driver, the distracted driver should also be arrested. It's not hard to look up phone records to verify stuff like that.
Old 2/9/14, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me, being an old dinosaur, I like the control of my manual and the ability to match revs in a turn and exit from same "on the cam."

I like riding in (someone else's) convertible, but for me to own, no. I am usually carrying/transporting one or more firearms, am always aware of the inherent responsibility, there-in. Anyone with a knife has a "key", with which, to gain relatively silent entry into a ragtop.

Mike

Last edited by satcong; 2/10/14 at 05:10 PM.
Old 2/9/14, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
A manual is "safer" in that it helps prevent drivers falling asleep at the wheel, assuming the vehicle is driven in traffic or town. On the highway, it's no different than an auto.

I don't answer my phone when in the car. I have voicemail and I return calls if I need to. I don't text or read texts when in the car, I don't touch or mess with the phone in any way whatsoever. I always choose a playlist, load it and begin playing it, start the car and go. I can switch between the radio, satellite, playlist, etc., with a push of a button. I want so badly for texting/talking/using the phone in any way with your hands to be a felony. It would almost completely stop and people would quit having accidents because of it. I also want deaths as a result of that kind of negligence to be something other than manslaughter. Minimum should be negligent homicide. If a DUI can get you arrested and they're no less dangerous than a distracted driver, the distracted driver should also be arrested. It's not hard to look up phone records to verify stuff like that.
It would be kinda tough falling asleep while driving in traffic (unless you suffer from narcolepsy) whether you are shifting or not.

I certainly agree with you about operating stuff while driving. That's one of the things I really like about my Mustang. The Sync system lets me select music from my thumb drive by voice command or answer my bluetooth connected phone without taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road. If I'm in the Accord all that stuff waits until I'm parked. As you said, calls can go to voice mail. My state made talking on a hand-held cell phone a primary offense, so you can get tagged for it even if you aren't doing anything else wrong. Unfortunately, there can never be enough police officers to deal with all the dumb schmucks who ignore the law.
Old 2/10/14, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
The fact that a stick shift is a theft deterrent is not a small matter. I had a conversation with my insurance the other day and they are considering giving stick shift owners a small discount because of the fact that they are being stolen less and less because the thieves don't know how to drive one. I think it's hilarious.
I keep reading more and more stories like this and it is hilarious and sad at the same time...

And I would love to have a discount for driving a manual! I think that is a great idea!
Old 2/11/14, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
In my automotive classes my instructor says the industry is getting away from them all together. I am glad I got my in manual before the powertrain is gone forever. Now get off my lawn!!!!
Old 3/13/15, 06:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Save the manuels!

http://blog.advanceautoparts.com/201...ck-shift-cars/
Old 3/13/15, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

I could be wrong.

http://jalopnik.com/rejoice-the-manu...ved-1688464485
Old 3/13/15, 11:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
It is not looking good! I was talking to my instructors at the college (I am in automotive) and they are thinking of dropping manual transmission from the core curriculum.
and some schools are dropping cursive handwriting
Old 3/16/15, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Vader99
I love driving a manual car, but honestly I couldn't care less about convertibles no offense. I've never understood what the big deal was and I've even had a convertible once and I absolutely hated it. As far as auto being faster I'm pretty sure that's still debatable.
I personally know a person who can shift a manual as if it were an auto, heck when your in the car (or just listening to it) if your not watching or aware that it is a standard you would think it was an auto, and yes I am getting that way my self and once I get some $$$ saved up for a trans upgrade/build (post for the build thread) I will make sure my trans can keep up with the task...

granted even though its a bit annoying in the stop and go traffic of a city I love the standard trans and only took about 10 minutes of trying it out in a parking lot to get the hang of driving one...something about it just feels like im alive and connected to my car more then an auto....sorry I will keep my standard trans Mustang, autos just don't belong in a Mustang just does not feel right...as for the vert I test drove one (same colour code as my current car) and I didn't really like it...not sure why but it just was kinda "ehh" I am guessing it was also the fact it was an auto trans...
Old 3/16/15, 06:56 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
As much as I enjoy a manual transmission, I opted for the auto in my Mustang. Maybe I'm getting lazy, and part of me was turned off by some of the reports of how notchy the China-built manual was.

We still have two manuals in our garage, so I do get to shift from time to time.

As for convertibles, I'm doing my part to keep them alive. My last four cars have been topless, and three out of four that we currently own are.

Last edited by SpectreH; 3/16/15 at 06:58 AM.
Old 3/16/15, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Most of the US society is getting lazy. In Europe they buy manuals. Here they buy Auto's. it is because they are lazy and really most don't buy a car for the enjoyment of driving. They are buying cars for just transportation. Most people today don't care what they drive. You will not find those kind of people on this forum or any other car related one. They just want to drive and rad / text on their phones LOL. I live in Florida and convertibles and manuals are on every lot here. I was supprised that 50 % are Manuals and 20% were convertables approx when I went to buy my new GT.
Old 3/16/15, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
If my car was a vert and standard I would be ok, I just don't see me buying a vert more for the safety factor, if i got one as a rental id be ok with it.
Old 3/16/15, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

What I find funny is I am looking for late 90's GT convertible (Purple) for my wife and I am having a hard time finding one in Auto. The time have changed!
Old 3/17/15, 05:34 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
True story....

Just before I got my '14 GT 'vert last May in Pennsylvania, I considered a '12 GT 'vert leftover at a local dealer (yup, new and untitled).

I went to the dealer for a test drive and while the salesman went inside to make a copy of my drivers license, I waited for him in the Mustang. He came back with my license, handed me the keys and told me to have fun.

As he was walking away, I asked him what the extra pedal on the left was for. I really caught him off guard. He stuttered and stammered and finally gathered himself enough to inform me that this was a manual shift, not an automatic. He was really nervous.

I gave him a thumbs up and slowly pulled away in first gear, then rowed through the gears out on to the highway, and proceeded to take a 30 minute test drive.

The look of relief on the salesman face when I returned the Mustang with no damage or strange clunking noises was priceless.
Old 3/17/15, 08:46 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,017 Likes on 632 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
As much as I enjoy a manual transmission, I opted for the auto in my Mustang. Maybe I'm getting lazy, and part of me was turned off by some of the reports of how notchy the China-built manual was.

We still have two manuals in our garage, so I do get to shift from time to time.

As for convertibles, I'm doing my part to keep them alive. My last four cars have been topless, and three out of four that we currently own are
I was wondering if there were many other owners like myself. 2 of my 3 cars are 'verts and before that I had two others. I also don't want a manual in every car. My Mustang's 5 speed has been wonderful and I love shifting the gears in it. I'm just not a fan of 6 speeds which is why I went auto in the Trans Am.
Old 3/17/15, 09:36 AM
Cobra Member

I've had verts since 1999 - at times two of them. I had one of them with a manual from 2001 and it overlapped with another manual vert until I got my Mustang. Now it's two autos.
Old 3/17/15, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
True story....

Just before I got my '14 GT 'vert last May in Pennsylvania, I considered a '12 GT 'vert leftover at a local dealer (yup, new and untitled).

I went to the dealer for a test drive and while the salesman went inside to make a copy of my drivers license, I waited for him in the Mustang. He came back with my license, handed me the keys and told me to have fun.

As he was walking away, I asked him what the extra pedal on the left was for. I really caught him off guard. He stuttered and stammered and finally gathered himself enough to inform me that this was a manual shift, not an automatic. He was really nervous.

I gave him a thumbs up and slowly pulled away in first gear, then rowed through the gears out on to the highway, and proceeded to take a 30 minute test drive.

The look of relief on the salesman face when I returned the Mustang with no damage or strange clunking noises was priceless.
LMAO!

I bought an '06 GT Vert Auto back at the end of '06 that they were trying to get rid of (and got one hell of a deal) and I was going from a manual to an auto and figured since it was a Vert (and I was getting a great price), I'd be okay with the auto (more of a cruising car), but man, after a couple years, I really was missing shifting! Especially when I started dating (my now wife), who was driving a Mini with a manual... Now, we have a Mini, Mustang and a Ranger, all manuals, as well as my motorcycle... And I don't miss the auto one bit! And driving autos now (rentals, etc), I always go for the phantom clutch! LOL!

Quick Reply: Save the Manuals and the Convertibles?