General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Save the Manuals and the Convertibles?

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/13, 06:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy Save the Manuals and the Convertibles?

I know of what they are talking about in this article first hand. I went to go buy a new Mustang and could not find one anywhere that was a convertible and a manual. I ended up buying a used one.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/08/n...tibles-parade/

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 7/9/13 at 06:56 AM.
Old 7/9/13, 08:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Problem is that the convertibles are a *very* premium item to consider even in base format. I mean, a V6 'vert vs a GT... not a whole lot of difference.

Couple that with... where you gonna drive it these days? Here in Texas, my goodness, there's only 2 days a year where it works good. Either it's too hot, or too cold. My dad's vertible top stayed closed 80% or more of the time he drove it (and it was a DD)

They're loud. They make noises that a coupe doesn't... They're less secure...

They're a *toy*, to be honest.

Ditto the manuals. Especially with these newer transmissions that are faster than manuals now... what's the point at that point?

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, I have a manual myself, and wouldn't mind a vert, but there is a very good reason manuals and vertibles aren't good sellers, much like 2 door big coupes like Thunderbirds aren't very prominent either. Practicality. The American roads aren't like they used to be. 4 doors and people/thing movers are the rage.

Last edited by houtex; 7/9/13 at 08:49 PM.
Old 7/9/13, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I had to order mine because there were no Verts with a manual anywhere... My last Vert was an automatic (REALLY good deal) and it sold pretty quickly because of being an auto (well, that and low miles/great shape, LOL)... But you know what, half the reason I got this car was that I missed having a manual...

Luckily, here in California, I get many days where I can have the top down... Hell, the last few years, there were some times in like February that I got to ride with the top down! Mine is a weekend car (toy), but I'd say that a good (at least) 75% of the time I drive it, the top is down...

The manual problem, in general, gets worse every year... My wife and I have been driving Mini's for years (all manuals), which, when we first got one, there were more manuals than autos on the lot... When we bought our latest one last year, there were only one of each style in a manual and the rest were autos! We asked the sales guy and he said they just don't sell that many manuals anymore...
Old 7/9/13, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

It just sad to see so many high end cars like Porsche and Lambo making their cars without Manuals. It just hurts on so many levels.

I almost bought a '13 off the lot with an Auto and I am really glad I did not. Rowing the gears is in my blood. Where I live in South Carolina the top is down only when it is not raining, which is almost every day in the summer. However, winter here you can run with the top down.

My dream car was always Mustang Vert. Mainly due to this picture. So they have to always make a Vert IMHO.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 7/9/13 at 10:35 AM.
Old 7/9/13, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dad had to order our '13 V6 'Vert with a manual. It's fun to drive around in and here we can and do use it year round as a daily driver. We keep some hats in the car for when the top is down because Florida sun is always hot.

I really hate the way things are looking with manual transmissions, I don't like the idea of paddle shift or automatics. We have an EcoBoost Flex with paddles, and I know it isn't a real paddle shift, but that isn't any fun to me. In my group of friends, I'm one of two people that CAN drive a stick, and we both do as a preference, but his brother refuses to even learn. It isn't that my friends don't like cars either, but to me paddles just feel like a video game, and if I wanted that, I'd play one.

There's just something about going through the gears with a clutch pedal that I love. Sometimes I think I was born at the wrong time. It seems like it is getting harder to find a regular car that can have a manual in it, even in cars like the focus, other than the special versions like the ST. Hopefully the Mustang will have the availability of a manual for many years to come.
Old 7/9/13, 04:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I read somewhere recently that in the U.S. less than 4% of new cars sold have manual transmissions.

I ordered my vert with the automatic because it lets me shift when I want to but doesn't force me to shift when I don't want to. I'm in Western Washington, but I still get plenty of days when I can drive with the top down. It's got to get REALLY hot before I put the top up. I can always aim the vents straight at me and crank up the air conditioning. I've had convertibles since 1999 and can't imagine being without one. My last one was a Honda S2000 and I loved driving it, but my Mustang lets me have fun and be comfortable at the same time.
Old 7/9/13, 11:17 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love driving a manual car, but honestly I couldn't care less about convertibles no offense. I've never understood what the big deal was and I've even had a convertible once and I absolutely hated it. As far as auto being faster I'm pretty sure that's still debatable.
Old 7/10/13, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good amount of the time, when I see a vert mustang, it's a lady driver.
I wonder what the ratio is of vert mustangs sold to women vs men.
And how this may be impacting the decision to make verts auto.
Old 7/10/13, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is true! I wanted a GT with a manual and my wife wanted a vert so we compromised.
Old 7/10/13, 08:33 AM
GT Member

How can your average dips**** make a phone call or text message if he/she has to shift gears?
Old 7/10/13, 08:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I could drive my car in a auto, if it was a sole track car....yea but stick on the street is so fun.

Now my DD I wish was auto....
Old 7/10/13, 09:13 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,017 Likes on 632 Posts
Really depends where you live as far as a convertible is concerned. Lived in FL for most of our lives and we did not own convertibles due to the horrible heat in the summer, never mind the torrential tropical rains. Too many tourists and too crowded to cruise during the ideal winter months. ( I did own one when I was single and young, but only for a short time). Now we own two 'verts here in the mountains of western NC where the weather is very moderate with the only months eliminated for convertible use being Dec, Jan, Feb.. I challenge anyone not to enjoy a drive along the Blue Ridge Pkwy, the Tail of the Dragon, or the Cherohala Skyway with the top down and shifting through the gears. Talk about driving heaven!
Obviously we are in the minority having both a 'vert and manual but we sure love our GT/CS and the vacation we took to the southwest this past April was the absolute best! 'Topless' on Rte 66, the CA coast and the ET highway in NV were highlights. Hopefully Ford will always offer the Mustang with both options. If not, looks like we will keep this one until I can't shift anymore.

Last edited by NC14GT; 7/11/13 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 7/10/13, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would love a convertible... but like 'houtex' said... 2-3 days year is basically all the time you have here in Texas. My dad's SSR... barely has the top down... Mom's SC430.... same thing. So, I'll probably never own one except for maybe my wife's car.
Its just not practical here.

Manuals though... As long as I'm blessed with two working hands and two working feet, all of my sports cars will have one. Even if one day they don't make them, I'll then only buy used.
Old 7/10/13, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

I definitely feel lucky that I live somewhere where I can actually put the top down all the time... One thing I LOVE is to drive at night with the top down, which is great in the summer (not as much in the winter, LOL, but I have heated seats, so that helps a little...).

A Vert is not for everyone (and not for all climates), that's for sure... If I didn't live here (and get to put the top down all the time), I probably wouldn't have a Vert either...
Old 7/10/13, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
I definitely feel lucky that I live somewhere where I can actually put the top down all the time... One thing I LOVE is to drive at night with the top down, which is great in the summer (not as much in the winter, LOL, but I have heated seats, so that helps a little...).

A Vert is not for everyone (and not for all climates), that's for sure... If I didn't live here (and get to put the top down all the time), I probably wouldn't have a Vert either...
Well enjoy it for us southerns and those northerners! lol
Old 7/10/13, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Krohn
Well enjoy it for us southerns and those northerners! lol
I will! I plan on driving this weekend, with the top down...
Old 7/10/13, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

In five years when our son starts driving, I was wondering if I'd even be able to get a manual tranny car in which to teach him. Is it even worth it, considering the direction the trannys are going? It got me thinking, anyway. (My CS is an auto.)
Old 7/10/13, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

It'll always be worth it to learn, IMO! Just good to know how to drive one, if you ever needed to. I wish I would have learned back when I first started driving, cause my first experience driving one took me like 20 minutes to move a friends truck across the street and into a parking lot! LOL!
Old 7/10/13, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Everyone I talk to lately keeps saying that it is a dead technology. What bothers me about this comment is it is so soulless. It is completely missing the point of why we want a Manual. It is the experience we are after. I feel more plugged into my machine when I shift the gears.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 7/10/13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 7/10/13, 11:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
Everyone I talk to lately keeps saying that it is a dead technology. What bothers me about this comment is it is so soulless. It is complexly missing the point of why we want a Manual. It is the experience we are after. I feel more plugged into my machine when I shift the gears.
Wow, dead technology? That's a bold statement... It may become a niche market, for sure, but that's because only the people who like to drive will want one. Your normal person just wants to get into a car and go, but those who enjoy to drive want to feel the control, want to enjoy being in the gear *they* want to be in, want to feel as if they are part of the car itself, want to have some fun...

I don't think manuals will ever fully go away. I don't care how good the automatics get... They will be harder to find as more and more makers ditch them, but there will always be people who want to drive a manual car...

The best way to keep them around is to continue buying them! They'll keep selling them as long as there is a big enough market...

Quick Reply: Save the Manuals and the Convertibles?