General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/08, 03:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
The Saleen blower is installed.....
Sounds good Tom!
Can't wait to see some pics and dyno vids.

I'm getting the Auto Meter fuel pressure gauge (#4963, full sweep electric). I'm guessing that it just taps into some electrical wire? Or is it more complicated than that?
Old 2/11/08, 04:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Sounds good Tom!
Can't wait to see some pics and dyno vids.

I'm getting the Auto Meter fuel pressure gauge (#4963, full sweep electric). I'm guessing that it just taps into some electrical wire? Or is it more complicated than that?

Ahahahaa, you're in for a treat..... just like I was last year and several others over on modfords.

When you buy electric guages, that means there is a sending unit that installs in the engine bay in a mechanical fashion that sends info "electronically" to the gauge inside of the passenger compartment. So, you need to install this sending unit under the hood.....

But, the sending unit needs to sense the mechanical flow of fuel in order to "send it electronically" to the gauge. That means, you need to install the sender on a place where it physically sees fuel pressure.

There are 2 ways to do this on the S197.......

1) Fuel rail adaptor: this is by far the easiest way..... link:
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...es/5553055.gif

This unit installs under the factory fuel pressure regulator on the driver's side fuel rail. Very easy, takes about 10 minutes to install....... (dramatic pause).......

BUT, it won't fit under the CDC shaker assembly. I bought one of these last year and found out for myself. If you locate the factory regulator, you can see what I'm talking about. As I remember, it basically is right under the drain pipe on the front driver's side of the shaker.

2) Tap into the fuel line, physically...... this is the way I ended up doing it and I had no problems (until installing the Saleen). As long as you use the correct parts, including the correct hose clamps for FUEL LINE (not just normal clamps!) you should be fine. Pix of the parts/install I did last year:

Tied into the crossover fuel rail tube:

Zoomed:

Fuel line specific clamps:

Moroso fuel line "T" - search for part number on Ebay:

Questions, let me know.
Old 2/11/08, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats Bill on your "up coming power" I know how happy Tom was with this blower when he had it installed on his car. I expect to see a vid of you smoking the tires some Sunday morning out there when she is done!!!!
Scott
Old 2/11/08, 06:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
Did it break or are the threads stripped in the head (worst case)... I would think the fastest way to get one is a dealer. It's such a funky bolt that I can't imagine anyone just having one. If the threads are stripped you'll have to re-tap them and that I'd do with the valve cover on to minimize the metal shavings in the head....

next time don't use the 1/2 drive for the valve cover bolts

Naw, it was a clean break. I wasn't using a 1/2 drive but air tools... haha j/k. I was just not thinking. Oh well, ordered one through Ford. $7 could have been worse. Now to figure out a way to get the broken half out. I may try screw-out from sears. We'll see. Any suggestions?
Old 2/11/08, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

screw-out or bolt-out will be your best bet..... cheaply.
Old 2/11/08, 08:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

This a DIY or go to a mech and have it done? My car goes into the shop at the end of the month for the blower install. Safe to wait till then?
Old 2/11/08, 08:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Total diy. basically you drill a small portion of the broken bolt, small drill bit here. Tap in the easy-out with a hammer. Unscrew the bolt with a wrench on the easy-out. Unless the screw is really torqued or has been in there a long time it should be a piece of cake.
Old 2/11/08, 08:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by habu
Total diy. basically you drill a small portion of the broken bolt, small drill bit here. Tap in the easy-out with a hammer. Unscrew the bolt with a wrench on the easy-out. Unless the screw is really torqued or has been in there a long time it should be a piece of cake.
I'ma look into that then. I'd hate to see what I'd get charged to have it done.

Question, a custom dyno tuned vortech HO shouldn't have any problem doing 425-450rwhp, correct?
Old 2/11/08, 09:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Come.....

Muhahaha! Luis oh Luis!

Jed
Old 2/11/08, 09:09 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
hahah^

from what Ive heard 450 is about max on stock internals
Old 2/11/08, 10:10 PM
Cobra Member

Trust me...if I could...I would. I'm going to be working really hard this year to get as close as possible to "the dark side" When I do make the move though, I'm not telling until it's under the hood

Originally Posted by JedCranium

Muhahaha! Luis oh Luis!

Jed
Old 2/11/08, 10:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Congrats Bill!

Of all people, I thought that you would not have succumb to the peer pressure. But as I know all too well, Jed can have a major influence on peoples pocket books.

I do have to take credit for starting all of this though. Without my Stang, Jed would never have bought his, so I guess you can blame me!.

Luis... resistance is futile!

Old 2/11/08, 10:46 PM

I was going to read this thread. I got to the bottom of page 1, saw the number of pages and realized I had something else to do for the next month.
Old 2/11/08, 11:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TopDown
I was going to read this thread. I got to the bottom of page 1, saw the number of pages and realized I had something else to do for the next month.
Hahah

Welcome!
Old 2/11/08, 11:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TopDown
Thought the same thing when I first opened this thread. Welcome
Old 2/11/08, 11:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Ray Man
Congrats Bill!

Of all people, I thought that you would not have succumb to the peer pressure. But as I know all too well, Jed can have a major influence on peoples pocket books.

I do have to take credit for starting all of this though. Without my Stang, Jed would never have bought his, so I guess you can blame me!.

Luis... resistance is futile!

This is Locutus speaking...!

AKA-Jed
Old 2/12/08, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by tom281
There are 2 ways to do this on the S197.......

1) Fuel rail adaptor: this is by far the easiest way..... link:
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...es/5553055.gif

This unit installs under the factory fuel pressure regulator on the driver's side fuel rail. Very easy, takes about 10 minutes to install....... (dramatic pause).......

BUT, it won't fit under the CDC shaker assembly. I bought one of these last year and found out for myself. If you locate the factory regulator, you can see what I'm talking about. As I remember, it basically is right under the drain pipe on the front driver's side of the shaker.
Thanks for all the info and pics Tom!
Question.. Won't this Steeda adapter fit under our 'modified' Shaker shroud? How high does this thing stick up? Needs more clearance than this?..

Way #2 sounds easy too. And being under the shroud, no one will see the tee.

On this related topic, where is your vacuum/boost sensor hooked up?

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I expect to see a vid of you smoking the tires some Sunday morning out there when she is done!!!!
Count on it Scott!

Originally Posted by JonCo
Now to figure out a way to get the broken half out. I may try screw-out from sears. We'll see. Any suggestions?
Like others have suggested, an 'easy out' should work. However, I would get a test plate and bust off a few threads in it and practice removing the broken studs before trying it in your car.
Drilling into the center of a broken stud is harder than you think.. try it, and good luck!
Old 2/12/08, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Man
It's all your fault Ray!

Thank you.

AKA-Jed

That's too funny!
Old 2/12/08, 01:06 AM
Cobra Member

AKA-Jed
Wow. I'm on route to a paxton blower...but that won't be until late 2008-middle 2009
Old 2/12/08, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

AKA-Jed

That is TOO FUNNY!

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Thanks for all the info and pics Tom!
Question.. Won't this Steeda adapter fit under our 'modified' Shaker shroud? How high does this thing stick up? Needs more clearance than this?..

Way #2 sounds easy too. And being under the shroud, no one will see the tee.

On this related topic, where is your vacuum/boost sensor hooked up?
Bill, the adaptor is probably about 1.25" tall and mounts between the fuel rail and the fuel regulator..... therefore it raises the regulator up by that much and into the shaker shroud. I had my shaker raised 1/4" for a meaner appearance, and still had fitment issues. Plus, you're putting additional downward pressure on a very sensitive part- the fuel rail- not a good idea. Do yourself a favor and do #2, it's actually cheaper anyway. BUT be warned that if you don't make a clean cut in the crossover line, or don't cut it in the appropriate location, that you CAN NOT just buy a new crossover line; it is a press-fit line at the factory and you have to buy a complete fuel rail assembly that includes both rails with the crossover already attached; I think I was quoted around $300 if I remember right.

Old rule applies: measure twice, cut once LOL!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)