General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/06, 09:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KdF
...there is a scratch down the drivers side stripe and one of the roof ones as well. Looks like it happened in the cuttin machine , as thy are in the exact same spots on both. Contacted the seller , and he is going to send me the new pieces for free.
Doesn't anyone to a quality checks before shipping anymore??

This 'scratch' and Daryl's 'step' should've been caught, not to mention Tom's Shaker scoop.

This is why companies should employ QA Inspectors.
Old 6/11/06, 10:23 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess I'll be driving the truck for awhile:

Attachment 1979

I'm about where the red dot is.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-153155w_sm.gif  
Old 6/11/06, 10:27 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
OH SHI T I have a hole in my hood.
I wanna see, I wanna see!!
Old 6/11/06, 10:28 AM

Well, in preparation of my stripe install, I removed the hood liner last night. Bummer part is 2 of those plasic retainers fell into the vast abyss of the engine bay, no where to be found again!

I found that my K&N cone filter had made a 'rub' mark in the liner. Not bad, but noticable.

I'm thinking about leaving it off, but I did go buy 2 replacement retainers at my local Kragens auto part store.

Tom, you removed your liner last week and drove around without it, right?

Did the engine sound any louder when driving around or getting on it (as in WFO)?
Old 6/11/06, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Guess I'll be driving the truck for awhile:
Sounds like the perfect time to cut a hole in your hood!

That way when your replacement scoop comes in, you'll already be more than half way done.
Old 6/11/06, 10:30 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Tom, you removed your liner last week and drove around without it, right?

Did the engine sound any louder when driving around or getting on it (as in WFO)?
Right... and I forgot that I removed it... so, no sound difference at all.
Old 6/11/06, 10:31 AM
GTR Member

Sounds like the perfect time to cut a hole in your hood!

That way when your replacement scoop comes in, you'll already be more than half way done.
I'll wait to hear from somebody, first. I changed the pic above... I added a dot where I am.
Old 6/11/06, 10:35 AM

Tom- Any comment on post 1140? Or you think in the midst of Daryl's excitement, he may have pushed on the jigsaw a wee bit too hard?

btw- my sig look any better?
Old 6/11/06, 11:05 AM
GTR Member

Tom- Any comment on post 1140? Or you think in the midst of Daryl's excitement, he may have pushed on the jigsaw a wee bit too hard?

btw- my sig look any better?
Sig looks better (but it looked OK at work, too)... my monitor at home is 1280x1024. I may have to copy the vertical lines!

Aluminum actually requires less TPI... around 15. Daryl was using 18, so that is better than 24 or 32. Did it jump when you were almost done, Daryl? Or right when you started? They say the "hole" starts to jump around when you are almost done.

Maybe the blade hit the board underneath? It's hard to say.
Old 6/11/06, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I may have to copy the vertical lines!

Maybe the blade hit the board underneath? It's hard to say.
Copy away! I got the idea from another member here; thought it looked pretty cool and easier to read once the list gets long.

On the saw jump, only one man can answer that question and I bet he's right now trying to make heads or tails from the directions.
Old 6/11/06, 04:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Everyone waiting on me ??
Here are some pictures, but you will have to wait longer for the detail and write-up. Me and the boy are heading for Pizza & a movie.
Total time was around 5hrs maybe a little more for the actual install.
Spent 2hrs running errands, with a hole in the hood
Just washed it and took some car pictures.
( I will let you know now, that it is not centered. Not for sure why as you can pretty much tell the hole is in the middle of that **** hood.)
Shaker is slid over as far as she can go in the slots. Might have to drill them out a bit but all that will do is center the front, the back would still be off)
Oh well another day's project.
Here she is.
Attachment 1996Attachment 1994Attachment 2000Attachment 1998Attachment 1999
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-shaker-done-close-up-1-web.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-shaker-done-hood-up-1-web.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-shaker-done-side-1-web.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-shaker-done-rear-1-web.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-shaker-done-front-1-web.jpg  

Old 6/11/06, 06:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Just washed it and took some car pictures.
( I will let you know now, that it is not centered. Not for sure why as you can pretty much tell the hole is in the middle of that **** hood.)
Shaker is slid over as far as she can go in the slots. Might have to drill them out a bit but all that will do is center the front, the back would still be off)
Oh well another day's project.
If you don't, how many people are actually going to notice (besides you).
It looks beatiful.
You know, I don't think very many people will notice the stripe missing from the front bumper either. There's a guy at work that has an '05 with black stripes that end at the hood front and the trunk lid end. I'm pretty sure he bought it that way.
Old 6/11/06, 07:24 PM

Everyone waiting on me ??
Looks fantastic, Daryl!!

I know it's off a bit from what you said, but the pics look great. Looking at the head-on shot, the verticle fin support in the scoop looks like it's centered to the hood crease CL. But, I can see a small gap difference between the left and right sides. I'm sure with a little slotting here and there, it'll be spot on.

Notice any 'intake sound' coming from the Shaker when driving around?

Again, good job on the install. You have proved that you have ***** of steel.
Old 6/11/06, 07:33 PM
GTR Member

Looks great Daryl! I know it will bug you if it isn't centered so I'm sure you will figure it out. I did read of others slotting some holes to center it. Maybe you can move the rear mount over a tad bit, too.
Old 6/11/06, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Looks fantastic, Daryl!!
Thanks everybody
I know it's off a bit from what you said, but the pics look great. Looking at the head-on shot, the vertical fin support in the scoop looks like it's centered to the hood crease CL. But, I can see a small gap difference between the left and right sides.
That is what is bugging. I know I measured the center of the hood accurately, the scoop seems to be centered on the ridge like you said but there is an obvious larger gap to the driver side.
I'm sure with a little slotting here and there, it'll be spot on.
There is only about an 1/8" of material from the end of the slots to the edge of the bracket, so not much room to expand it.
Notice any 'intake sound' coming from the Shaker when driving around?
Maybe a little but the only thing I heard the first trip out was the tires squalling
Again, good job on the install. You have proved that you have ***** of steel.
Or really stupid.
Originally Posted by 89trooper
Maybe you can move the rear mount over a tad bit, too.Today 08:24 PM
No way to move the bracket the way it needs to be moved. I could move it toward the passenger side, but not the driver side.
Old 6/11/06, 08:32 PM
GTR Member

No way to move the bracket the way it needs to be moved. I could move it toward the passenger side, but not the driver side.
Should I mount the scoop first and measure to it's center line. Then cut the hole in the hood to match... even if the hole isn't perfectly centered?

In other words,

Would it be more obvious if the scoop is uncentered in the hole?

Or, if the hole is uncentered in the hood but centered with the scoop?
Old 6/11/06, 08:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

PART ONE OKCMustangGT's CDC Shaker Hood System Install Write-up

First thing was get up early Sunday morning down some coffee and head to the car.
I will mention what I did different from the instructions and what I would change if I were to do it again.
I measured and marked the center of the hood again (Did it once for the Stripes) then used the center marked masking tape again. Ran one piece the length of the hood lining up my hood center marks with the marks on the masking tape. The proceeded with additional tape strips till it looked like this.
Attachment 2023
Prepped the hood and engine for cutting. I placed an old sheet over the engine and then placed a small sheet of 1/4" plywood over the plenum cover. Then I used a FORK tool to remove the hood insulation retaining clips and removed the hood insulation.
Attachment 2024Attachment 2025Attachment 2026
I laid out the template (forgot to take pictures of it on ) Took an razor knife and cut the template out. Pressing hard enough to cut the template, the masking tape, the vinyl stripes and the paint.
Then removed the template and the masking tape inside the area where the hole will be.
Attachment 2027\

GO TO PART TWO
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-hood-masked-1-web.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-removing-retaining-clips-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-hood-insulation-removed-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-engine-prepped-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-template-removed-1.jpg  

Old 6/11/06, 08:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

PART TWO OKCMustangGT's Shaker Hood System Install Write-Up

I took a couple pieces of foam that I had lying around and used them to prop the hood up, so that I could cut the hole.
Attachment 2032Attachment 2028
Time to cut that hole. I took a 1½" Hole saw and drilled the starter hole at the rear most driver side corner. Broke out the Jig Saw and 18tpi metal cutting blade and went to to town.
Attachment 2029
After I had cut for awhile (and the saw jumped on me once) I started taping the cuts from the top and bottom every 10-12" or so. This kept the hole piece from jumping around.
Attachment 2030
When done the hole looked like this.
Attachment 2031

GO TO PART THREE
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-hood-supported-1-web.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-starter-hole-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-taping-cuts-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-hole-cut-out-1-web.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-hood-supported-2-web.jpg  

Old 6/11/06, 09:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

PART THREE OKCMustangGT's Shaker Hood System Install Write-Up

Now that the hole is cut instructions called for installing the trim ring.
This is where if I were to do it again I would do it a little different.
I followed the directions and cleaned the hood area with alcohol, applied the 3M double sided tape to the top ring and attached it to the hood.. (Its down for good now) There is a little play in this and I think I would leave it to last so if your scoop is a little off center you can adjust the trim ring to compensate for maybe 1/16" or so.
But I followed the directions applied the 3M tape and bonded it to the top of the hood.
Now I replaced the hood insulation and marked the outline of the upper trim ring onto it.
Attachment 2037Attachment 2033
Then I removed the insulation again laid it on the ground, and placed the lower trim ring on top of it. The traced the outline of the lower trim ring onto the hood insulation, using a white grease pencil.
Then measured ½" in from the outer edge toward the inner mark and drew another line. This is the line you cut out using a razor knife.
Attachment 2034Attachment 2035
Now it was time to install the hood insulation for the last time with the hole cut out.
Attachment 2036
I then snapped the lower trim ring to the upper trim ring, but I did not rivet them until I was done with the install, just in case.

GO TO PART FOUR
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-hood-insualtion-marked-2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-hood-insualtion-marked-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-hood-insualtion-cut-2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-hood-insualtion-cut-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-hood-insualtion-marked-3.jpg  

Old 6/11/06, 09:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

PART FOUR OKCMustangGT's Shaker Hood System Install Write-Up

Now its time cut to install the shaker unit.
First I had to install the ball socket using the supplied u-clamp and allen wrench. I installed the clamp initially but forgot to apply Loc-Tite to the threads so I removed it, upon which the U-Clamp fell under the plenum cover. I had an extendable magnet which saved the day.
So the moral is "Remember to put threadlocker on the allen screw BEFORE you install the clamp"
Attachment 2042
Then I unplugged the vacuum line and MAF sensors. Loosened the clamp holding the intake tube to the throttle body and removed the tube.
I had to cut off both of the positioning nubs (lower and upper) to enable me to move the screw part of the clamp to the 9 o'clock position. This allows the shaker unit to surround the throttle body and intake tube. I replaced the intake tube after doing this.
Attachment 2038Attachment 2039

Then I removed the top two bolts in the throttle body to allow for the clamps. I placed the shaker unit on the engine, placing the ball into the ball socket in the rear of the unit, running the vacuum line through the hole on the passenger side, the MAF through the hole on the driver side and the top two throttle body bolts through the brackets. (This was a PITA) I took a small piece of masking tape and wrapped the head of each bolt. This allowed the bolts to stay lodged in the socket. I never dropped one this way. You can see why they are a PITA you can hardly see them.
Attachment 2041Attachment 2040

GO TO PART FIVE
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-cut-nub-1.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-cut-nub-2.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-driver-side-throttle-body-bolt.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-pass-side-throttle-body-bolt.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-ball-scoket-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)