General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/07, 01:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
But $25 + shipping is a great deal! Unless shipping is $125.
Called GMS today and they said yes it's $25 plus $14 shipping to SD. If you want the deal just say you saw "joe's post on modular fords". I think I'm going to jump on this even though it's a granatelli product it's only a bar.

Got the new tune from Doug so I'm off to install the delete's. Wish me luck.
Old 7/10/07, 03:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Called GMS today and they said yes it's $25 plus $14 shipping to SD. If you want the deal just say you saw "joe's post on modular fords". I think I'm going to jump on this even though it's a granatelli product it's only a bar.

Got the new tune from Doug so I'm off to install the delete's. Wish me luck.
Good luck with the plates. I'm sure after seeing it done you should be able to knock it out with ease.

Speaking of plates... once the dreaded CA smog check comes around are you and Bill gonna put your old plates and H-pipes back on to get past inspection ??

GMS for me. It's only 25 bucks and only a bar but after everything I saw and read they ain't getting my money. YMMV
Old 7/10/07, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

GMS all the way for me. The only company out there that you can burn rubber and slide the rear going into 2nd gear with the factory tune on 87 octane.
Old 7/10/07, 06:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
Good luck with the plates. I'm sure after seeing it done you should be able to knock it out with ease.

Speaking of plates... once the dreaded CA smog check comes around are you and Bill gonna put your old plates and H-pipes back on to get past inspection ??

GMS for me. It's only 25 bucks and only a bar but after everything I saw and read they ain't getting my money. YMMV
Well Joe is more of a driver/salesman than an engineer or quality expert.
He talks (types) too much.
Obviously, not everything he says is correct.
I do have his strut tower brace on my car though.
After a year, it still suits my needs better than anything else I could find.
Everyone says how great it looks and it is light and does whatever a brace does as well or better than anyone elses.
I say...
If you can save significant money, why not.
By the way...
I am against the sway bar delete mod because I think cornering is more important.
Old 7/10/07, 06:45 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Hey, that's one of my kind.
And, one of my kind!

Glad you are having a good time, Bill!!
Old 7/10/07, 06:50 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by karman
By the way...
I am against the sway bar delete mod because I think cornering is more important.
I have seen no difference at all in cornering. I can take the corners just as fast as before, but then again, I have really good tires, too.

I thought the front end was a hair too low compared to the back. With the weight savings of the swaybar and heavy brace, I think it raised the nose the RCH I was looking for. Did I just say that?

Plus, my car is PERFECTLY level now. The swaybar was tilting the car toward the driver's side because of the preload on the swaybar (which most EVERY car with a swaybar has unless all factory tolerances are dead on).

With the preload gone, there is no oversteer in one direction and understeer in the other direction.

But... I've gone over all this before, so I'll shut up...
Old 7/10/07, 08:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by karman
By the way...
+1
I just can't see how removing the front swaybar has no impact on cornering. Undoing/removing it for Drag Racing... that I understand. Not that I don't believe Tom or Leo, it goes against anything I've ever learned. Wouldn't be the first time though
Old 7/10/07, 08:21 PM
GTR Member

I just can't see how removing the front swaybar has no impact on cornering.
Because the lowering springs don't allow as much sway as the stock springs. With stock springs, it would lean like a b!tch around corners. Just like the lowering springs reduce nose dive during braking, and rear-end squat during take-off.

Stock springs: need the swaybar.

Lowering springs: don't need the swaybar unless you are road-racing.

If you were closer, I would let you drive my car as hard as you wanted around corners and I would bet you couldn't tell the swaybar was removed. I let Mike (matko) drive my car and he didn't notice any difference.
Old 7/10/07, 09:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well got the Deletes installed today. Everything went smoothly except for two hiccups.

Problem #1 -Didn't have a #30 torx bit. Could of borrowed from Bill but insisted I had one. So I had to run 3 blocks with intake manifold in hand to the local repair shop. They let me borrow their #30 torx bit and I switched the plates out on the parking lot floor. I didn't have a second car and they wouldn't let me borrow so I had no choice.

Problem #2 - Didn't know I needed an SCT liveload update before uploading new tunes to XCal II. Problem solved within five minutes thanks to Bill.

I haven't driven it yet so I can't give a review. Look for one tomorrow. BTW-I'll be getting the GMS swaybar delete in the next few weeks. I'll take some good pics so we can compare the quality with Tom's BMR.

Like Tom I don't feel a difference in handling with the swaybar off. Brian you should try it out it only takes 15-20 to remove the swaybar. You still planning on coming down for Race Legal?

Looks like Brians got UDP's on the mind.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=67992
Old 7/10/07, 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well got the Deletes installed today. Everything went smoothly except for two hiccups.

Problem #1 -Didn't have a #30 torx bit. Could of borrowed from Bill but insisted I had one. So I had to run 3 blocks with intake manifold in hand to the local repair shop. They let me borrow their #30 torx bit and I switched the plates out on the parking lot floor. I didn't have a second car and they wouldn't let me borrow so I had no choice.

Problem #2 - Didn't know I needed an SCT liveload update before uploading new tunes to XCal II. Problem solved within five minutes thanks to Bill.

I haven't driven it yet so I can't give a review. Look for one tomorrow. BTW-I'll be getting the GMS swaybar delete in the next few weeks. I'll take some good pics so we can compare the quality with Tom's BMR.

Like Tom I don't feel a difference in handling with the swaybar off. Brian you should try it out it only takes 15-20 to remove the swaybar. You still planning on coming down for Race Legal?

Sounds like my fun with a 21mm doing the struts... luckily I had my dad's truck to take down to Sears. Those last-minute tool runs are a pain.

Race-legal... yep. Do I have to buy a helmet ?? Was hoping to get the stripes this weekend, but not if I have to get a helmet. I figured I'd remove the front bar or at least undo the links that weekend and see what that felt like.

Crap, you caught me. 130 bucks seemed too good to pass up, ya know ?
Old 7/10/07, 09:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Peer pressure at its finest.

Congrats on the new mods Leo. Now get out and enjoy them!
Old 7/10/07, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Race-legal... yep. Do I have to buy a helmet ?? Was hoping to get the stripes this weekend, but not if I have to get a helmet. I figured I'd remove the front bar or at least undo the links that weekend and see what that felt like.

Crap, you caught me. 130 bucks seemed too good to pass up, ya know ?
They rent helmets or for $20 or you can buy a cheapo open face one like mine for $60.

No doubt $130's a great deal espcially since he's in LA. In fact you met him at knott's show. He was the one with the SHR louvers in his trunk.

Race legal info.
http://www.racelegal.com/web/videos.asp

Like the new avatar.

Originally Posted by kh765
Peer pressure at its finest.

Congrats on the new mods Leo. Now get out and enjoy them!
Thanks and believe me I will.
Old 7/11/07, 12:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Greetings from the mainland!

Bill the thread isn't the same without you. But at least we can all take a breather from buying our next mod, ya right! That's a nice Kamaina ride

you took a picture of. Tell me you rented a stang as your island hopper?

Hope youre having a blast on the rock have a Chi Chi for me!

Old 7/11/07, 02:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Howzit guys!

Wow! Lots of news goin' on!

Leo, you're welcome. Glad you got the delete plates and tune installed. It must have been quite a site seeing you running down the street with your intake in hand!

Kyle, saw another 4.0 today at the Hilo mall (pic below). 99% of the S197's I've see herehave been all 4.0 convertible rentals. Only seen 2 4.6's here, a LL GT and a Tungsten Saleen.

On the swaybar delete, I see why Leo and Tom (and maybe Brian) removed theirs. For me, I'm actually thinking of getting a bigger swaybar, front and back!

On the Alpine/Raptor/12V bezel/rear cam/switch plate/volt gauge project, all but the Raptor came in (should arrive by Friday). This will be somewhat of a challenging install wiring all this stuff up centrally to the switch plate, rear camera included. I'll try and tackle it this weekend... if I'm not too spent!

Old 7/11/07, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Tell me you rented a stang as your island hopper?
I wish! With 3 others in tow, I needed something with a little more trunk space and room, so I got a Trailblazer.

It has 30k miles and sounds like crap. It has this terrible whinning sound when driving. Oh well.
Old 7/11/07, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill

On the swaybar delete, I see why Leo and Tom (and maybe Brian) removed theirs. For me, I'm actually thinking of getting a bigger swaybar, front and back!
Here's a nice set:

Old 7/11/07, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well after driving the car around today I have to say that the addition of the Delete's was also felt. The deletes and the pulley's make the car feel like a beast. I'm hoping to shave a couple tenths if not more my next time at the track. I'm very happy with both these's mods and the fact that I got them both for $230 is icing on the cake.

Peformance mods ranking
CAI/TUNE
Gears (I don't have them but I'm sure they'd have more of a SOTPF than UDP's and Delete's combined.)
UDP's /Deletes
O/R H
Flowmasters

BTW- Stopped by the local Kragens and picked up a can of 1200 degree High Heat aluminum paint (DH 1606). According to the can the 1200 variant doesn't require primer. Yet the 500 degree paint requires a primer.Strange. So if all goes well I'll be painting the covers this weekend and installing them some time next week.
Old 7/11/07, 11:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Bill, it sounds like you are having a blast !! Tell me you have pictures of 'scenery' that you are going to share

Leo, That sounds great. I'm glad it's working out. Of all the mods the delete plates would be one that I'd fret over the most. I am wondering... when it comes to smog time are you going to put the stock plates back on ?
Old 7/12/07, 12:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Bill, it sounds like you are having a blast !! Tell me you have pictures of 'scenery' that you are going to share

Leo, That sounds great. I'm glad it's working out. Of all the mods the delete plates would be one that I'd fret over the most. I am wondering... when it comes to smog time are you going to put the stock plates back on ?
From my understanding the car will still pass. I guess we'll just wait and see next year.
Old 7/12/07, 02:07 AM

I think the CMDP's will pass smog too. I forgot that Leo is now a 'every 2 year'er'.

Getting ready to head back home tomorrow night. I have a couple pics to show, but the internet connection here at the hotel reminds me of the 28.8k days.

Mike, like the beefed up sways.
Also glad to see that I'm not the only nut that wipes down the undercarriage.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)