General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/06, 12:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Bill, if you want to add it into your write-up, there is exactly a 13 lb weight savings with this mod, too. That's a lot for drag racers.
Addendum added.
If you want to add torque values, here they are:

Exhaust Manifold Nuts: 33 lb-ft

Exhaust Coupler Nuts: 40 lb-ft
Old 11/15/06, 02:46 PM
GTR Member

Finally took it out for a drive. I don't know... it's pretty "breppy". Tomorrow I'll have my friend Dave drive it so I can hear it from the outside. That's when I'll take some videos.

I didn't take it anywhere where I could get on it for a long time, but for the little bit that I did, it sounded very NASCAR-ish. I may need to get those Edelbrocks if I decide to keep the H-Pipe on.
Old 11/15/06, 03:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Finally took it out for a drive. I don't know... it's pretty "breppy". Tomorrow I'll have my friend Dave drive it so I can hear it from the outside. That's when I'll take some videos.

I didn't take it anywhere where I could get on it for a long time, but for the little bit that I did, it sounded very NASCAR-ish. I may need to get those Edelbrocks if I decide to keep the H-Pipe on.
Breppy? NASCAR? Besides 'raspy', those are the terms I would use for an O/R X description.

Are you sure no packing from the O/R pipe didn't blow into your Flows?

If they were clear and you didn't get an instant grin the first time you turned it over, I'm not sure if this was such a good idea.
Old 11/15/06, 03:16 PM
GTR Member

I used the term "brep" because that's what you used to descripe the small RPM window on your car. No packing in them...

I drove it more... between 2500 and 2750 RPM it gets louder and "breps" even if you aren't flooring it. Accelerating away from a light normally, when you get in that RPM window, it "breps". WOT sounds like a race car.

Kinda sounds like a leak. There is a tiny leak at that crossover pipe with the crappy clamp, but I don't think that's what I'm hearing. That would be heard all the time I would think.

I'm uploading a video now, but it sounds different revving it up than it does under load - do you notice that, too? It only does that "brep" under load.
Old 11/15/06, 03:31 PM
GTR Member

OK, here's the video: My neighbor took it for me - I had him stand back a bit so the sound wouldn't distort the mic in the camera.

It's definitely louder in person. And it sounds better than some of those X-Pipe videos I've seen - Guess I'll have to give it time.
Old 11/15/06, 03:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

OK, here's the video: My neighbor took it for me - I had him stand back a bit so the sound wouldn't distort the mic in the camera.

It's definitely louder in person. And it sounds better than some of those X-Pipe videos I've seen - Guess I'll have to give it time.
That doesn't sound bad to me at all. The X-pipe sounds like **** IMO. Hey Tom if you don't like them I would buy them from you for a USED item discounted price.
Old 11/15/06, 03:57 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
That doesn't sound bad to me at all. The X-pipe sounds like **** IMO. Hey Tom if you don't like them I would buy them from you for a USED item discounted price.
Well, I'm going to re-check for leaks (if I was going to keep it for sure, I would have the cross over pipe welded since the H-Pipe can go in and out as 1 piece).

Before buying the Edelbrocks in my signature, I may try these. Mike had them, so before selling them on eBay, I might try them out to see if they get rid of the trumpeting. The in and out pipe look like resonators, which is what I want/need.

Attachment 13848

He says, "They have a straight-thru 3" pipe design and I expected them to be louder than the Edelbrocks. They were not. They were about the same, maybe slightly quieter. Anyways, I had them on the car for one day and put the Edelbrocks back on. They have the 4" stainless tips that I wanted [Edelbrocks have stock-like tips - Tom]. They have a low rumble, louder than stock at idle and an aggressive tone throughout the entire rpm range. They may be great with an h-pipe and no cats".
Attached Images  
Old 11/15/06, 04:05 PM

I used the term "brep" because that's what you used to descripe the small RPM window on your car. No packing in them...
My apologies... The 'brep' sound is the infamous 'trumpeting' sound that occurs in the absense of cats. It occurs exactly where you said in the RPM range under a load.
The trumpeting doesn't bother me (or Leo), but there are some who simply can't stand it. For me, it's just part of the O/R experience.

Do give the pipe some time and see if you like it before making a rash decision to get rid of them (although Daryl wouldn't mind!)

I know what you were thinking... 'Just push the button!... Now I got your voice in it! "

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
That doesn't sound bad to me at all... Hey Tom if you don't like them I would buy them from you for a USED item discounted price.
Wrong comment Daryl! Youre supposed to say how crappy they sound and that you'll take it off his hands for $50.
Old 11/15/06, 04:08 PM
GTR Member

My apologies... The 'brep' sound is the infamous 'trumpeting' sound that occurs in the absense of cats. It occurs exactly where you said in the RPM range under a load.
The trumpeting doesn't bother me (or Leo), but there are some who simply can't stand it. For me, it's just part of the O/R experience.
Then it's the same thing since I only hear it under load (and more backfiring when really revving it up at idle - since more unburned gas makes it to the mufflers). Do you hear the backfiring, too?
Old 11/15/06, 04:29 PM

Then it's the same thing since I only hear it under load (and more backfiring when really revving it up at idle - since more unburned gas makes it to the mufflers). Do you hear the backfiring, too?
Yes, a little, but I'm not quite sure it's the sound of afterfiring (see below) as it could be the result of the lack of cats or other muffler devices designed to reduce or eliminate the popping sound.

Check out my vid and pay attention at 1' 52"+, this is what mine sounds like.

(I sound like Prof. Tom) Here's a little lesson between 'backfire' and 'afterfire'...
Backfire is the unburned gas 'exlosion' up thru the carburator or intake (remember seeing the ol' flames coming up thru the carb?). Hence the term 'backfire' as in going backwards from the start of the combustion process.

Afterfire is what we're talking about, an explosion of unburned fuel being ignited at the exhaust exit.

It's a common mis-reference when using the term 'backfire'.
I learned this is my aircraft engine building class.
Old 11/15/06, 04:33 PM
GTR Member

I guess I meant afterfire, then. Well, mine sounds like what you hear in the video. Going to be taking more videos in a little while... I'll post them when I'm done.
Old 11/15/06, 05:57 PM
GTR Member

OK, got some video of Dave (the only other person who has ever driven my car - wait, maybe Mike has driven it) doing some drive-bys.

The first one is a slow cop check. Doesn't seem windy out there, but you can hear that it is (or maybe that's me breathing hard).

The second one is quicker. I wish he could have stayed on it in the next gear, but he slowed down because of the car coming the other direction (figures a car would come just then).

Tell me what you think! I'm still not TOTALLY thrilled. I love how it sounds, but I would love to hear what it sounds like with the Edelbrock mufflers installed.
Old 11/15/06, 09:22 PM
GTR Member

Daryl, you might want to add this to page #1:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...79&postcount=7

I never knew about that...
Old 11/15/06, 10:49 PM

Tell me what you think! I'm still not TOTALLY thrilled. I love how it sounds, but I would love to hear what it sounds like with the Edelbrock mufflers installed.
What I think?? You're nutz! Your car sounds totally awesome!

And, I don't understand how 'I love how it sounds' doesn't equate to 'I'm still not TOTALLY thrilled'?

Driving mine tonight just reminded me how much I love my set-up!
Old 11/15/06, 11:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Leo, I piggy backed off your MWAG Shock Tower Cover pics you already posted up and did a quick 'How To' here.

They look sweet indeed! And the paint matched perfectly!
As always nice write-up although I'm not really sure it warrants one.

+1

They look great! I don't think I'll get mine by tomorrow's mail. They are coming from WI - it's possible, but unlikely. Only good thing is that nobody else will have theirs, either!
If they sent them priority mail I'm sure you'll have them by Friday.

And, I don't understand how 'I love how it sounds' doesn't equate to 'I'm still not TOTALLY thrilled'?

Driving mine tonight just reminded my how much I love my set-up!
+1. Tom call me tomorrow so we can talk over the phone about these sounds you speak of.
Old 11/16/06, 12:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Busy day today. Here's a list of what I did:

Went to the dealership to have the 10,000 mile service performed. $40 bucks got me an oil change, tire rotation and multipoint inspection.

Painted my hood strut brackets black and removed the CDC stickers. Could of come out better but I rushed it. Maybe when I feel like going through the PITA of removing them I'll try again. For now though they look good. You be the judge once I get some pics up.

Installed the chrome bolt caps Bill gave me. Thanks Bill. They really add some pizaz to the car.

Installed my CDC chin spoiler. Tried pulling in and out of my apt complex. I get minor scraping on the way out no matter how slow I go. Checked the underside and there was not visible damage so that's good. Coming in is not a problem. Looks great and goes well with the shaker hood. I think I'll leave it matte black.

I'll post pics my new mods tomorrow.

I also went to my monthly SDMC member meeting which was held at JBA's new, bigger, better shop. It was pretty cool since I got to meet J. Biddle and got to see the shop before it's official opening. They now stock every CDC and CAL Mustang product. Which means I can now save on shipping plus get a 10% discount since I'm a SDMC member.
------------------------------------
Richard is coming over tomorrow to detail the car. I know I know what your going to say, "do it yourself" I would but there's swirls and he's the man at removing them. Don't worry I'm doing the interior and engine bay myself. So after tomorrow the car should be about 85% ready.

I'm also getting the rear window retinted tomorrow before he show's up.

Then at night I'm going to the Marine Corps ball with the wife. I hate going to these events.

I'll stop typing now.
Old 11/16/06, 05:35 AM
GTR Member

It sounds better in the videos than it does inside the car since you can't hear the trumpeting in the videos. Just going by the videos, I would think I was nuts, too, for not LOVING it! Since I don't like the trumpeting, I'm not TOTALLY thrilled. Other than that, I love it.

If it was just a higher pitch, I wouldn't mind - but during that RPM window, it sounds like a "loosness" - like something in the exhaust is loose and vibrating. Everything is tight (torqued even) to the proper specs.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Tom call me tomorrow so we can talk over the phone about these sounds you speak of.
OK.

BTW, Mike said he would drop off a set of the Edelbrock mufflers and a set of the FlowTech Terminators for me to try on the car. If the Edelbrocks do the trick, I'll be ordering them ASAP!
Old 11/16/06, 06:18 AM
GTR Member

Busy day today.
Must have been... you weren't here!

Looking forward to the pics...
Old 11/16/06, 08:03 AM

Installed the chrome bolt caps Bill gave me. Thanks Bill.

Installed my CDC chin spoiler. Tried pulling in and out of my apt complex. I get minor scraping on the way out no matter how slow I go.

Richard is coming over tomorrow to detail the car... So after tomorrow the car should be about 85% ready.

I'm also getting the rear window retinted tomorrow before he show's up.

Then at night I'm going to the Marine Corps ball with the wife. I hate going to these events.
You're welcome!

Try approaching the driveway at an angle instead of straight on; it works!

That's good. Once your exterior is done, all you have to focus on is the engine and interior stuff, which can easily be done on Saturday.

All I have to do is Z-6 the exterior, Adam spray the scoop and grille, Z-16 the tires, and jack up the front & rear to wipe the inside of the rims... the only PITA part. I know...

Make sure the tint place matches the shade of tint, there's alot out there.
See this example of Solar Guard tints and you'll see what I mean.

Leo in his Dress Blues... got to see a pic of that!

Since I don't like the trumpeting, I'm not TOTALLY thrilled. Other than that, I love it.

If it was just a higher pitch, I wouldn't mind - but during that RPM window, it sounds like a "loosness" - like something in the exhaust is loose and vibrating. Everything is tight (torqued even) to the proper specs.
Uh oh... since the trumeting hits a chord with you, I'm betting the O/R H will be short lived in your car. (Daryl- Get your $50 ready )

Hate to say it, but I think the FRPP catted X is what you may be looking for. Link.

I think I know of the 'looseness' you hear. It's really more of a 'raw camel' (as in unfiltered) sound. And the vibration exists for me too on a cold start, but only lasts for a minute (the best minute, btw). I don't think it's not from anything loose, but more of an exhaust percussion note that's out of phase which creates the exhaust note you hear and feel.
Old 11/16/06, 08:12 AM
GTR Member

Uh oh... since the trumeting hits a chord with you, I'm betting the O/R H will be short lived in your car. (Daryl- Get your $50 ready )
We'll see after I try out the Edelbrocks and FlowTechs from Mike.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)