General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/08, 05:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GTR.... no offense Jed...

They scared me. They hemmed and hawed...

Um a Whipple ??... I think we've installed those before, make sure you keep the installation instructions from the kit and give them to us, I don't know that we have any here
Does the whipple kit include fuel pumps... you'll need a BAP
Oh you have an SCT, we really only do Diablo but I think we can find someone that has tuned on a SCT before
I scratched them off my list pretty quick after that conversation, sorry. It wasn't a real confidence booster for my first shop to call.
Old 10/1/08, 05:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superfly s197
The research has begun
The more you research the more you'll desire. Prepare to buy instead

Originally Posted by TacoBill
It's all part of the experience.

Wait til the gauge research starts...
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
That's the easy part IMO. I'm planning on a three gauge pod from either SOS or Autometer. Using the following three Autometer Ultralite gauges Wideband A/F, Boost/Vac, and Fuel Pressure. Then maybe later on down the road getting water, tranny, and oil in a CDC gauge pod.

Originally Posted by habu
Well the most important part is that you are doing the research and asking questions from multiple sources then making your own decision. That is the hardest part, but the more work you put into it now the less you'll regret the decision.
As far as shops, IMO, between RET and ST you aren't going to go wrong. Both shops have a great reputation and do great work. I know and beat the ST drum because it's my experience and how happy I have been with the trouble free end-result (can't blame the SCT on them) has been

Gauges... don't get me started on gauges. And talk about $$$$ that is not cheap at all
Yeah no kidding. I spent like $600 on two guages + dual SOS pod + install If/when I do the GT500 pump upgrade I'd like to also add a fuel gauge to the mix.
Old 10/1/08, 05:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Man I want to order these spacers but I have NO idea what size to get... I think at 1" it'll be overkill and could possibly stick out. ...
Old 10/1/08, 06:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Man I want to order these spacers but I have NO idea what size to get... I think at 1" it'll be overkill and could possibly stick out. ...
How to find out what size spacer you need.

"This requires that the tires be mounted on the wheels and the wheels be mounted on the car. First level the car side to side. This can be easily accomplished by just measuring from the ground to the highest point of the fender. Theorectically the car should be even side to side, but they usually aren't. Just jack up the low side in small increments until the measurements on both sides are equal.
Now get a plumb bob (you don't need anything fancier than a string with a nut or washer tied on the end.
Tape the plumb bob to the centerline point of the fender (make good tape choices), wait until it stops swinging, then simply measure from the outer edge of the tire sidewall to the string. Convert this measurement to Millimeters and this is the size spacer you need for the tire to be flush with the fender. If you want to poke or tuck, add or subtract to get the desired width. "

Last edited by LEO_06GT; 10/1/08 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10/1/08, 08:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

How to find out what size spacer you need.

"This requires that the tires be mounted on the wheels and the wheels be mounted on the car. First level the car side to side. This can be easily accomplished by just measuring from the ground to the highest point of the fender. Theorectically the car should be even side to side, but they usually aren't. Just jack up the low side in small increments until the measurements on both sides are equal.
Now get a plumb bob (you don't need anything fancier than a string with a nut or washer tied on the end.
Tape the plumb bob to the centerline point of the fender (make good tape choices), wait until it stops swinging, then simply measure from the outer edge of the tire sidewall to the string. Convert this measurement to Millimeters and this is the size spacer you need for the tire to be flush with the fender. If you want to poke or tuck, add or subtract to get the desired width. "
I just did that, minus the lifting of the car to get a rough estimate and got a MAX of 3/4 up front and less then that at the rear. Now I wonder if 3/4's will be sufficient to clear the brakes.

I'm having a hard time finding a template for these brembo brakes.

Last edited by JonCo; 10/1/08 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10/1/08, 09:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I just did that, minus the lifting of the car to get a rough estimate and got a MAX of 3/4 up front and less then that at the rear. Now I wonder if 3/4's will be sufficient to clear the brakes.

I'm having a hard time finding a template for these brembo brakes.
From reading this thread it looks like you'll be fine.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=443152
Old 10/1/08, 10:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

From reading this thread it looks like you'll be fine.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=443152
Fine with what? 3/4" spacers?

Yeah I read through that thread. How close are fanblades to the caliper to begin with, mine might not be as tucked in as stock. I mean my calipers are maybe an 1/8" from touchingrim but since the diameter will also be changing it gets MUCH closer to touching the farther it goes out. I also imagine stock rim offset is different then my 38mm offset. I'm a new when it comes to this.

Still a tough call... Playing with 3/4" on all 4 corners. Or going with 7/8'.

Last edited by JonCo; 10/1/08 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10/1/08, 10:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Fine with what? 3/4" spacers?

Yeah I read through that thread. How close are fanblades to the caliper to begin with, mine might not be as tucked in as stock. I mean my calipers are maybe an 1/8" from touchingrim but since the diameter will also be changing it gets MUCH closer to touching the farther it goes out. I also imagine stock rim offset is different then my 38mm offset. I'm a new when it comes to this.

Still a tough call... Playing with 3/4" on all 4 corners. Or going with 7/8'.

I'd call MustangSpacers and talk to the guy there. He might be able to tell you what measurements to take to ensure you have a good fit.

Guys chime in.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...44#post5646244
Old 10/1/08, 10:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah good idea. I'll give them a call tomorrow. According to some guys on that gt500 brake thread the brembo's have another another 1" worth of front over stock. I may need 7/8-1" to clear. I'll have to remeasure tomorrow

I have no idea about the shocks... sorry.
Old 10/1/08, 11:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Brian - I think you would be happier with Diablo

Jed- that is one scary picJ I DO have a DARK SIDE though. I’ll just surprise you one day.

Bill – sorry votes closed b4 I got mine in L But congrats on the front page

Stangmanh- Ditto on the scholarship, I’m all about education

Leo06GT – good choice on the IC
Old 10/1/08, 11:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kanicas
Jed- I DO have a DARK SIDE though. I’ll just surprise you one day.

Let's keep it PG here folks.
Old 10/2/08, 12:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Brian - I think you would be happier with Diablo

Jed- that is one scary picJ I DO have a DARK SIDE though. I’ll just surprise you one day.

Bill – sorry votes closed b4 I got mine in L But congrats on the front page

Stangmanh- Ditto on the scholarship, I’m all about education

Leo06GT – good choice on the IC

Dark Side on!

Jed
Old 10/2/08, 12:39 AM
Cobra Member

Old 10/2/08, 01:36 AM
Cobra Member

Looks like I'll be going to Irwindale tomorrow. Pops is bugging out/wants to chill.

Brian - you said you where going right?

Any others?
Old 10/2/08, 01:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

GTR.... no offense Jed...

They scared me. They hemmed and hawed...

Hey no offense taken Brian sorry that you first impression was as you described. From my personal experience they have been great. They practically build my car. But that's not why I trust them. I have nothing but positive experiences with their workmanship and customer service. Gonzalo & Ricardo both highly experienced on the S-197. They are easy to deal with and they genuinely lookout for their customers. I know they are authorized installers for Kenne Bell and Vortech, I don't know what their experience is with the Whipple. I don't think it's a bad thing that they asked you for instructions. I mean, I admire a shop that installs via the manufactures spec. When they installed my KB every step in the KB manual was "X" as the work progressed all the way to the final install. I like that kind of detail. Even if a shop has installed something 100 times. I feel more confident that they don't forget anything. I think their question about the fuel pump was really trying to get an idea on your install and what it’s going to cost. A lot of people walk in there shop with different situations some buy through GTR, some walk in with a purchased parts like SC's and the like, new and used. I can only speculate on your conversation but trust me they have your best intentions in mind. When they admitted to you that they use and are familiar with Diablo and not SCT. Guess what they mentioned the same thing to me. I had a SCT w/ a C & L CAI. It didn't bother me that I had to change. I like the fact that told me up front, no surprises. I was impressed that they did all of my work and never asked for a deposit, I though that was cool. During the two weeks that the car was there they would call me with an updated about every 2 -3 days. Some shops you have to subpoena just to get an update. Our experiences are 180 degrees apart. But in the end you found a shop you trust and that's all that really matters.

Jed
Old 10/2/08, 07:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I DO have a DARK SIDE though. I’ll just surprise you one day.
Jed, better break out your light sabre and make sure it's working before meeting with Monica.

Looks like I'll be going to Irwindale tomorrow. Pops is bugging out/wants to chill.

Any others?
Causing too much trouble Fly?

No can do tonight, heading out to the RB Pier for a Bug and Bud.

Originally Posted by JedCranium
But in the end you found a shop you trust and that's all that really matters.
I think that was Jed's longest post ever.

Don't get me started on shops. So glad I/we installed most of my other mods and didn't have to deal with a shop, otherwise I'd have a head full of white hairs.
Old 10/2/08, 08:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Jed, better break out your light sabre and make sure it's working before meeting with Monica.
TMI
Old 10/2/08, 09:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Brian - you said you where going right?

Any others?
That's the plan. It hinges on two things for me.
Is ST going to be there? I want Adam to either take the car down the track or have him watch me. It will confirm that it's either the driver(likely) or something that needs to change on the car. I should be much quicker than 8.3

I have to buy some things for work tomorrow, it's a luncheon and I got suckered into bringing food... so I gots to get the the grocery store first

So it should all work out, but there is a chance it might not.

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Hey no offense taken Brian sorry that you first impression was as you described. From my personal experience they have been great. They practically build my car. But that's not why I trust them. I have nothing but positive experiences with their workmanship and customer service. Gonzalo & Ricardo both highly experienced on the S-197. They are easy to deal with and they genuinely lookout for their customers. I know they are authorized installers for Kenne Bell and Vortech, I don't know what their experience is with the Whipple. I don't think it's a bad thing that they asked you for instructions. I mean, I admire a shop that installs via the manufactures spec. When they installed my KB every step in the KB manual was "X" as the work progressed all the way to the final install. I like that kind of detail. Even if a shop has installed something 100 times. I feel more confident that they don't forget anything. I think their question about the fuel pump was really trying to get an idea on your install and what it’s going to cost. A lot of people walk in there shop with different situations some buy through GTR, some walk in with a purchased parts like SC's and the like, new and used. I can only speculate on your conversation but trust me they have your best intentions in mind. When they admitted to you that they use and are familiar with Diablo and not SCT. Guess what they mentioned the same thing to me. I had a SCT w/ a C & L CAI. It didn't bother me that I had to change. I like the fact that told me up front, no surprises. I was impressed that they did all of my work and never asked for a deposit, I though that was cool. During the two weeks that the car was there they would call me with an updated about every 2 -3 days. Some shops you have to subpoena just to get an update. Our experiences are 180 degrees apart. But in the end you found a shop you trust and that's all that really matters.

Jed
yeah good points Jed. Let's just say they did not convey a reasonable sense of comfort with the Whipple and all it entails. Maybe it was a bad day, whatever. After talking with other shops and their level of comfort with the Whipple kit there was a marked difference between them and GTR, IMO. Again it could have been unfortunate circumstance. The first impression usually makes or breaks a sale.
Old 10/2/08, 10:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I should be much quicker than 8.3
It's the tune.

I'm kidding!

Yeah, should be wayyy quicker than 8.3.. that's what Leo's running.

The first impression usually makes or breaks a sale.
Even that can't be used as a 'Rule of Thumb' nowadays. Danny sure gave me that warm and fuzzy initially, but ended up with ice and grit.

Truth is no shop is as good as we hope. No one will take the time and care as you will on your car. To a shop, time is money.. period. If you think otherwise, you a foo.
Old 10/2/08, 10:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

It's the tune.

I'm kidding!

Yeah, should be wayyy quicker than 8.3.. that's what Leo's running.
The problem is that was my best run and it was cool outside. Is it a tune or driver or heat issue ?? That is what I don't know. I drove my car all over hell to get to SD to Woodside To BJ's then to the track... was any of that a factor ?? Are the used DRs I bought crap are they a factor ??

Too many questions and not enough answers. If I had run in the high 7's all night I'd be happier than a pig in slop and wouldn't even be worrying about it right now.

Even that can't be used as a 'Rule of Thumb' nowadays. Danny sure gave me that warm and fuzzy initially, but ended up with ice and grit.

Truth is no shop is as good as we hope. No one will take the time and care as you will on your car. To a shop, time is money.. period. If you think otherwise, you a foo.
Man ain't that the truth. If I had the equipment and experience I'd do it all myself and I wouldn't even look back.

Last edited by habu; 10/2/08 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)