General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/08, 11:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281

Yeah, Leo...... and another dude with another automatic transmission. Not knocking Leo at all, but Leo works the steering wheel and holds the go pedal to the floor. The computer and trans do the rest.

Told ya those tires would hook brotha....... and try speed shifting before power shifting, it will help you.
Oh I know, still I guess I couldn't imagine it without trying it. Wow. I know that about 4000-4500 is the ideal launch rpm, need to dial that in better. Also need to get the air pressure in the tires better too.

Can't help you there....... real men race on a true 1/4 mile track.
Yeah, out in the boonies maybe but we're in SoCal. A 1/4 Mile track is only open once in a blue moon. FFW was up in Fontucky this weekend, 1/4 and I probably could have gotten a ton of advice there as a lot of the s197 racers were out there.
Originally Posted by StangMahn
yup...haha

when you launch brian, as you get better, you'll probably be able to feel it hook and floor that *****! that's what we do in our car...gas about 1/3, on the brake hard as you can go, until you're ready to launch, and in the quickest way your feet move off the brake and mash the gas through the floor, although that car's an auto, just for you the brake and the clutch would be the same thing.
Thanks. I'll learn and I'll get it down pat. I know I should be almost a second quicker and I believe that second is all in the driver.
Old 9/20/08, 11:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
yeah totally, Great job on Losing no really it's awesome. Let me know when you find that 2nd place trophy.

I know you're pretty unfamilar with it Bill, but in Drag Racing the ONLY thing that matters is who gets the win light. Don't matter by how much, the light doesn't lie.

Now on the second run, I could have excuses and if, it's only, but, maybe . But that ain't gonna happen. Leo won that round. Fair and square. So right now it's 1 win a piece.

The only thing I wish is that we could have run against each other more. Judging from the time-slips your statement would be valid as Leo had me covered most of the night. But we didn't.
Not saying you didn't win or that it wasn't as meaningful. All I was saying is you didn't have a chance to set the snooze button on your alarm clock as you predicted.

Yeah, Leo...... and another dude with another automatic transmission. Not knocking Leo at all, but Leo works the steering wheel and holds the go pedal to the floor. The computer and trans do the rest.
That's all any "drag racer" does considering they all use auto tranny's. So I don't even want to hear all this crap of well I have to shift blah, blah, blah,wah, wah....... You guys knock the auto tranny all you want but I don't want to hear any whining when you lose to the "slushomatic" at the track.
Old 9/20/08, 11:34 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks. I'll learn and I'll get it down pat. I know I should be almost a second quicker and I believe that second is all in the driver.
yup, it just takes some practice, and you'll have it down pat

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
That's all any "drag racer" does considering they all use auto tranny's. So I don't even want to hear all this crap of well I have to shift blah, blah, blah,wah, wah....... You guys knock the auto tranny all you want but I don't want to hear any whining when you lose to the "slushomatic" at the track.
Its like another memeber said, there's nothing wrong with the automatics in these, but as for me, I prefer the manual.
Old 9/20/08, 11:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Ray Man
Jed... where's the C&C pictures from today?
RAY passed on C & C this morning I was working on the ROUSH instead.

Brian were you running on drag radials? Can't tell buy that picture ink.

Can't say I'm a big fan of 1/8 mile runs over 1/4 mile why doesn't Barona do 1/4 mile?

Jed
Old 9/20/08, 11:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JedCranium
RAY passed on C & C this morning I was working on the ROUSH instead.

Brian were you running on drag radials? Can't tell buy that picture ink.

Can't say I'm a big fan of 1/8 mile runs over 1/4 mile why doesn't Barona do 1/4 mile?

Jed
I wish I knew. They've got enough space out their for a dam airport runway.
Old 9/21/08, 12:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I wish I knew. They've got enough space out their for a dam airport runway.
Good point I'm sure it has to do with safety, and regulation crap. Maybe even insurance.

Jed
Old 9/21/08, 12:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Leo: Are you manually shifting or letting the tranny decide?
What is the shift point?
Old 9/21/08, 12:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by fabman
Leo: Are you manually shifting or letting the tranny decide?
What is the shift point?
Nope letting the tranny decide. I believe it shifts at 6200 which is what Doug at Bamachips set's it to.

Brian-
http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=70571

Last edited by LEO_06GT; 9/21/08 at 12:52 AM.
Old 9/21/08, 09:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Leo, I wasn't knocking the slushomatic. But, before you say you don't want to hear about shifting, blah blah blah you had better admit to yourself that the manual is much harder to manage successfully at the track and involves a whole new world of driver skill that people with autos don't have to worry about. Launching is significantly different, and while you're holding the go pedal to the floor and the auto trans is shifting perfectly at WOT at a specific RPM on each shift, the manual driver is watching the tach or shift light and relying on shifting instantly at the correct rpm while holding the gas down, working the clutch, and then hopefully not missing the next gear threw the shifter.

Oh, and it's called a girlomatic, not slushomatic.
Old 9/21/08, 10:01 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^lol

there's a lot more involved with a 1/4, more track, obviously, more runoff, more insurance, pretty much more of everything; but I prefer 1/4
Old 9/21/08, 10:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and it's called a girlomatic, not slushomatic.

Yeah... a monkey could lay down a good run with an auto....

Only problem with the moroso intercooler tank is the battery relocation to the trunk. That in itself isn't a problem, the problem is that if some track tech wanted to get specific and "quote the rulebook" it states that if the battery is in the trunk then you have to have a kill switch mounted to the outside of the vehicle... THAT I don't want to do. If I could relo the battery and not have that switch, then I think I'd be OK. Thanks for the link. I'll have to keep it in mind.
Old 9/21/08, 10:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't know if "Slush-O-matic" is the right term....
Mine barks second AND third with 10" wide tires and the rear end locked up....(No Blower)

Not sure if "Girl-O-matic" is the best term either since “winning through consistency” is the name of the game here.

Since an automatic is clearly the better option for this racing discipline, wouldn't the "Manly thing to do" be choosing the one that gets you the most checkers...?

Last edited by fabman; 9/21/08 at 10:39 AM.
Old 9/21/08, 10:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah... a monkey could lay down a good run with an auto....
Yes, I believe that would be the Monkey with the WIN light.
Old 9/21/08, 10:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Leo...

How has the 410's affected your drivability and mileage...?
Old 9/21/08, 10:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't know if "Slush-O-matic" is the right term....
Mine barks second AND third with 10" wide tires and the rear end locked up....(No Blower)

Not sure if "Girl-O-matic" is the best term either since “winning through consistency” is the name of the game here.

Since an automatic is clearly the better option for this racing discipline, wouldn't the "Manly thing to do" be choosing the one that gets you the most checkers...?

Don't go getting bent out of shape...... No one ever said that the manual is better at the strip, that's the last thing I would say. But for someone to drive an auto and not ever even know what's involved with racing a manual trans, if they did the'd have a little more respect for the manual driver.

As far as the "manly thing to do", that still belongs to the guy who is banging his gears manually at WOT.

Last edited by tom281; 9/21/08 at 10:58 AM.
Old 9/21/08, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thumbs down

Don't go getting bent out of shape...... No one ever said that the manual is better at the strip, that's the last thing I would say. But for someone to drive an auto and not ever even know what's involved with racing a manual trans, if they did the'd have a little more respect for the manual driver.

As far as the "manly thing to do", that still belongs to the guy who is banging his gears manually at WOT.
I'm just playing with you guys....besides, I've had plenty...I mean PLENTY of experience racing both Automatic and Manual cars and both have thier place.

My GT is also my daily driver, so the need to be able to drink coffe and drive at the same time won out over buying clutches and dry cleaning. Sometimes I hate myself for ordering AND paying extra for the automatic...but then sometimes I'm glad I did.

Last edited by fabman; 9/21/08 at 11:07 AM.
Old 9/21/08, 11:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

One more thing....

Real men actually DRIVE thier cars and don't keep them locked away like cuban cigars....
Old 9/21/08, 11:14 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
One more thing....

Real men actually DRIVE thier cars and don't keep them locked away like cuban cigars....

Ouch Bill, right in the family jewels!
Old 9/21/08, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Ouch Bill, right in the family jewels!
Bill gets a pass....he's trying to drive his but he's been having mechanical failures.

His mechanics keep failing him.
Old 9/21/08, 11:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
OK, I need the POTR's to chime in here and give me your opinions. I just put an SHR rear medallion (great quality piece by the way) on and I want to put a custom painted tri-bar pony emblem on it. I painted an old emblem I had in my garage just to get an idea and I need your suggestions. What do you think looks better, the top half, bottom half, or as is with the slit design? Keep in mind that this looks very sloppy, I just slapped some paint on it to get an idea.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dsc01199.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dsc01192.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dsc01195.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dsc01190.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)