General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/08, 08:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Hey... I paid my renewal fee (automatically) and I lost my italicized name... my C/T... and my private message amount dropped drastically.
Same happened to me. Contact Scothew, that's what I had to do.

Originally Posted by habu
well for my 2,000th post I wish I had something momentous to say or add or some really awesome news.
Hmm.. I see your post count at 1991.
Old 7/1/08, 08:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Same happened to me. Contact Scothew, that's what I had to do.
Hmm.. I see your post count at 1991.
Me too. Oh, wait... don't have a C/T

1991... WTF ??

I done fergot hows ta count

I think it probably has to do with a thread in the forsale section that I had locked.... only thing I can think of. Guess I'm gonna have to try and post 8 more times today.

Last edited by habu; 7/1/08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 7/1/08, 09:19 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Congrats Brian on 1,992? WTF. I guess you got penalized or something.

BTW, I have a C/T.
Old 7/1/08, 03:09 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
and I still dont have one...

congrats on 1992 brian, lol
Old 7/1/08, 03:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's time for a new exhaust. I love the Flowmasters, but it really toned down when I installed the turbo.

Remember... my exhaust comes out of the headers, Y's together, goes to the front of the car, past the wastegate, into the turbine, out of the turbine, back toward the center of the car, un-Y's, goes through 2 high-flow cats, then through the rest of the H-Pipe and then through the mufflers.

What should I get?

I like the deep tone of the Flowmasters, but it's kinda quiet now due to the path it needs to take. I want something deep... but not too obnoxious.
Old 7/1/08, 04:27 PM

I like the deep tone of the Flowmasters, but it's kinda quiet now due to the path it needs to take. I want something deep... but not too obnoxious.
Your exhaust plumbing sounds confusing.

You know you always wanted the Stingers.
Old 7/1/08, 04:38 PM
GTR Member

Your exhaust plumbing sounds confusing.

You know you always wanted the Stingers.
Well, it has to ALL get to the turbine... and then ALL get back to the mufflers...

Is there anything in between??
Old 7/1/08, 04:49 PM

^ I hope not.

So you going to try a set of Stingers?
Old 7/1/08, 04:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Try no mufflers at all first....then see what you think....you wont need much, at most a short resonator at the end just to take the rasp out (if there is any) The stinger variety of mufflers are just straight through resonators.....lots of brands have this variety typified by thier short round cannister. If no mufflers works for you (it may be quieter than one may think) then a couple brands have replacement pipes with no mufflers such as the "SLP loudmouth" axelbacks. The down side is with such a long run of empty pipe it may rap on deceleration, or in some cases acceleration as well. The turbo and cats should kill most of, if not all of the rap so I'd suggest pulling the axel backs off and going for a spin......see where you are then.

Last edited by fabman; 7/1/08 at 05:07 PM.
Old 7/1/08, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by fabman
The down side is with such a long run of empty pipe it may rap on deceleration, or in some cases acceleration as well.
My Stingers (as well as Leo's setup) rap/burble on decel.. it's kinda cool.
Old 7/1/08, 05:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
1991... WTF ??

I think it probably has to do with a thread in the forsale section that I had locked.... only thing I can think of. Guess I'm gonna have to try and post 8 more times today.
That is exactly it- when I deleted that thread, your posts go along with it. I tried it out myself actually- posted, watched my post count grow- deleted it, and watched the post count shrink.

I think it's time for a new exhaust. I love the Flowmasters, but it really toned down when I installed the turbo.
What should I get?

Borlas. Flowmasters = deep? LOL, try Borlas. C'mon sissypants, step up. You got a 500hp convertible, make it sound like one.
Old 7/1/08, 05:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
That is exactly it- when I deleted that thread, your posts go along with it. I tried it out myself actually- posted, watched my post count grow- deleted it, and watched the post count shrink.
That's pretty much what I figured. No biggie.

Originally Posted by tom281
Borlas. Flowmasters = deep? LOL, try Borlas. C'mon sissypants, step up. You got a 500hp convertible, make it sound like one.
Definitely. We all know the H-pipe is out-of-the-question. Try the loudmouths or stingers.
Old 7/1/08, 06:10 PM
GTR Member

Try no mufflers at all first....then see what you think....you wont need much, at most a short resonator at the end just to take the rasp out (if there is any) The stinger variety of mufflers are just straight through resonators.....lots of brands have this variety typified by thier short round cannister. If no mufflers works for you (it may be quieter than one may think) then a couple brands have replacement pipes with no mufflers such as the "SLP loudmouth" axelbacks. The down side is with such a long run of empty pipe it may rap on deceleration, or in some cases acceleration as well. The turbo and cats should kill most of, if not all of the rap so I'd suggest pulling the axel backs off and going for a spin......see where you are then.
There is some rasp on hard decel... and some on accel, (which seems to go away when the car warms up). How do the Borlas compare to the SLP loudmouths?

Last edited by 89Trooper; 7/1/08 at 06:15 PM.
Old 7/1/08, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My Stingers (as well as Leo's setup) rap/burble on decel.. it's kinda cool.

Exactly...thats why I went with the Bassani street setup...deep and powerful sounding without the rap. (remember, I have an automatic and have less control of the RPM's than a stick) If I had gone with a 5 speed I probably would have gone with the straight through mufflers, although I probably would have gone with the Bassani's. Personal taste only here.

The turbo should kill the rap so I don't think it's an issue here.

Go to YouTube and listen to sound bites for 50 gazzillion hours like I did...that helped me emmensly when choosing the sound for my personal taste. I'm sure if you look around you'll find someone with a similar set up and can listen to thier sound as well as ask some questions....most posters are happy to talk about thier cars, and hey, it's free help.....why not use it?
Old 7/1/08, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There is some rasp on hard decel... and some on accel, (which seems to go away when the car warms up). How do the Borlas compare to the SLP loudmouths?
The Borla Stingers have a resonator in them which helps reduce the Rap...The SLP Loudmouths are just straight pipe...no resonators at all and will rap more that the stingers. If you like the rap, go with the Loudmouths, if you hate it, go with a resonator type muffler like the Stinger variety. As I suggested, I'd take the mufflers off completley (Axle back) and see what it sounds like....that should help you decide how much muffler you need....my guess is not very much.
Old 7/1/08, 07:07 PM
GTR Member

The Borla Stingers have a resonator in them which helps reduce the Rap...The SLP Loudmouths are just straight pipe...no resonators at all and will rap more that the stingers. If you like the rap, go with the Loudmouths, if you hate it, go with a resonator type muffler like the Stinger variety. As I suggested, I'd take the mufflers off completley (Axle back) and see what it sounds like....that should help you decide how much muffler you need....my guess is not very much.
I hate rasp! So, if I have some now on hard decel, I would probably want to go with the stingers.
Old 7/1/08, 07:14 PM
GTR Member

Why are they so freakin' expensive?
Old 7/1/08, 07:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I hate rasp! So, if I have some now on hard decel, I would probably want to go with the stingers.
You have rap now with the flowmasters? You may still have some with the stingers then....maybe, maybe not. Better check out the YouTube clips and see what you can learn....other wise, if you went with the Bassanis (street muffs) like I have it would sound deep with absolutley no rap....but not sure if it would be loud enough for you.

Here is a link to my car with the Bassani axelbacks on a stock motor for reference.

Bassani Street Mufflers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QQZAZNJMRY

SLP Loudmouths:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swZrEKRN6vw

Stingers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc70Au_DP0E

There are tons more...take time to look around....

Last edited by fabman; 7/1/08 at 07:35 PM.
Old 7/1/08, 07:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Why are they so freakin' expensive?
Why is gas so expensive?
Supply and demand...it's the American way.

I don't like it either, but if you wanna play, you gotta pay.
Personally, I don't see the SLP's being a great value, but it is what it is.

A local mufflershop can cut out your mufflers and insert straight pipe for way less money....but thats up to you to see if thats what you want.
Old 7/1/08, 08:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Love them Ricers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oArzG2zGXj4

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)