General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/08, 12:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
But.. here comes the Taco party pooper...
No more MMR updates, I'm sick of it all.

Long story short, they found 2 pistons that the coating has started to flake off, obviously from a bad prep or contamination. They were going to send the 2 bad ones to a different coater, but I told them to send all 8.. duh! They were all coated at the same time, so the whole batch has been compromised.

At this point, I'm not making anymore pipedream dates on when it'll be ready.
Really sorry to hear that Bill. I was pulling for an awesome update. Dangit. Hope they cut some slack on either the build price or something, this is getting ridiculous
Old 5/28/08, 12:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks.
I'll be asking for a free t-shirt at the least.

I don't know whether to to get mad at these guys or praise them for not sending out junk.
Old 5/28/08, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
It's a tough pill to swallow but praise them for not sending it out. If they did, and it failed next week or next year, you would be screwed in trying to tell anyone that the coating failed on it's own.

Sucks I know, but hey you can't be that far away from completion.
Old 5/28/08, 12:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks.
I'll be asking for a free t-shirt at the least.

I don't know whether to to get mad at these guys or praise them for not sending out junk.
I'd lean towards the mad side. But like you said, you're kinda at their mercy. So if you complain too much the cook will spit in your burger. Not a fun situation.
Old 5/28/08, 01:52 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Leo, if you don't mind, where did you get this part? Is it a faux gas cap for the trunk? What did you put on the real gas cap? Does it coordinate?
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT

Old 5/28/08, 02:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Well I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Spec 3+ clutch and flywheel combo.....
Old 5/28/08, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Leo, if you don't mind, where did you get this part? Is it a faux gas cap for the trunk? What did you put on the real gas cap? Does it coordinate?
Can't see the pic right now but I'm assuming your talking about the Silver Horse Racing (SHR) rear medallion. It's replaces the factory piece. Install is as easy as pulling off the old one and sticking the new one on. If you want a two tone look like mine call marcello personally and tell him. It's not any extra if I remember correctly. FYI-Doesn't come with the pony emblem or GT emblem I added that myself. He does offer it with "GT" engraved but it's not the same font style as the current or any other GT logo for that matter.
Old 5/28/08, 03:25 PM
Post *****

Leo,
Thanks for the info. What do you have on your actual fuel door. Did you keep it stock or is it a billet piece and does it match that faux cap on the back? Also the picture is dark it looks like black billet center with satin billet ring on exterior? Have any of you other SoCal guys seen it. Does it look good on the black car? The reason I ask is my stocker medallion is having that problem where the black is coming off and I'm looking at options such as this or replacing the stocker under warranty, or something else. The one thing I don't want is one of those airbrushed medallions. That just doesn't do it for me.
Old 5/28/08, 03:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Leo,
Thanks for the info. What do you have on your actual fuel door. Did you keep it stock or is it a billet piece and does it match that faux cap on the back? Also the picture is dark it looks like black billet center with satin billet ring on exterior? Have any of you other SoCal guys seen it. Does it look good on the black car? The reason I ask is my stocker medallion is having that problem where the black is coming off and I'm looking at options such as this or replacing the stocker under warranty, or something else. The one thing I don't want is one of those airbrushed medallions. That just doesn't do it for me.
The fuel door is still stock. I tried going with a black billet one but didn't like the look. Your correct it's a black center with a satin ring. Yes all the Socal guys have seen and said they liked it. (They could be lying though.) I think were pretty honest about each other's mods. I think it looks great on black car. JMO.
Old 5/28/08, 03:38 PM
Post *****

Thanks Leo. I'll give Marcello a call. I haven't seen it except the one picture but I think it would look great on the black car. Also I think you're right about the fuel door, I think you saved me the trouble of trying different ones and ending up with the stocker anyway.

Also, don't take my posts in the Lakers thread to seriously, I'm just a Spurs fan whose team is losing and it is a little hard to take. (from one fan to another)
Old 5/28/08, 03:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Leo. I'll give Marcello a call. I haven't seen it except the one picture but I think it would look great on the black car. Also I think you're right about the fuel door, I think you saved me the trouble of trying different ones and ending up with the stocker anyway.

Also, don't take my posts in the Lakers thread to seriously, I'm just a Spurs fan whose team is losing and it is a little hard to take. (from one fan to another)
Your welcome.

Not taking anyone's post seriously in that thread. I'm just having fun going back and forth.
Old 5/28/08, 03:42 PM
Cobra Member

I'm going have to check out that thread.

The fuel door would be a good mod for your car. You have the satin stripes. It'll match

Go Lakers!
Old 5/28/08, 03:48 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by superfly s197
I'm going have to check out that thread.
It is interesting, but ultimately pointless.

Originally Posted by superfly s 197
The fuel door would be a good mod for your car. You have the satin stripes. It'll match
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. I would like to scale back some of the shiny chrome bling and rear medallion is all thats left.

Originally Posted by superfly s197
Go Lakers!
D'OH!
Old 5/28/08, 03:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281
Well I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Spec 3+ clutch and flywheel combo.....

is yours about to go out ?? Why the change ?
Old 5/28/08, 04:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by habu
I'm guessing that it's starting to slip sometimes. Putting down that much torque will eventually tax the stock clutch.
One of the reasons why I'll be upgrading to the Centerforce DF.
Old 5/28/08, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by XxDevilR6xX
Looks like you had a good time Ian.

I can't believe you're moving.
No Dan, look at it this way, I'm getting a place up in Vancouver so you can stay when you come up to snowboard.
Old 5/28/08, 05:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Update for This Saturdays 281 Motorsports Open House

If you are going to the open House at 281 Motorsports.
Looks like Jason would like to know who/what's coming can you shoot him an Email with the folowing information below.

Jed

(Thanks Steve for letting us know you da man! )

Email to jason@281m.com

Name:
phone number
email
Car; year, model, color, transmission type, horsepower output (dyno tested)
# of guest you will be bringing

Thanks for your support guys!!
Old 5/28/08, 05:50 PM
GTR Member

Sorry about the update, Bill... hopefully things start getting better!
Old 5/28/08, 05:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nice beer conversations, and Ian, that beach looks amazing!

But.. here comes the Taco party pooper...
No more MMR updates, I'm sick of it all.

Long story short, they found 2 pistons that the coating has started to flake off, obviously from a bad prep or contamination. They were going to send the 2 bad ones to a different coater, but I told them to send all 8.. duh! They were all coated at the same time, so the whole batch has been compromised.

At this point, I'm not making anymore pipedream dates on when it'll be ready.

Dang sorry to hear about the delay but look at the bright side at least they noticed it and will be taken care of. So ready for a drink tonight?

Jed
Old 5/28/08, 05:52 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by habu
I'm guessing that it's starting to slip sometimes. Putting down that much torque will eventually tax the stock clutch.
One of the reasons why I'll be upgrading to the Centerforce DF.
For me, I only had trouble with the clutch slipping that one time. It was when I was peeling out hard in 1st, 2nd, and then 3rd. The load in 3rd really taxed the clutch and the clutch started slipping instead of the rubber-to-the-road!

Guess that is what's going to happen to the stock clutch with over 500 ft-lbs of torque between 4000 and 4500 RPM.

Everybody said I would continue to have trouble with it, but I have never smelled it slip again. I can still go WOT in 3rd and 4th gear to redline without any problems... it was only when popping the clutch in 3rd that it didn't like it.

I would definitely change the PP and clutch if I was in there, like Bill... no question about it!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)