The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Ponies on The Run (Again) (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/ponies-run-again-432873/)

89Trooper 5/21/06 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Mach 1 Member? Rookies... :jester:

Not really. You have been a member for 20 months, I have been a member for 4 months. When I hit 20 months, I should be around 2500 posts, not a measly 800 something.
:spot:

TacoBill 5/21/06 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Nobody around?

Well, I helped my neighbor this morning change the springs on his Impala. After 3 hours, we just got the front back together.

If he's swapping out his rotors to the cross-drilled variety during this time, you're in the know now! :)

TacoBill 5/21/06 03:24 PM

Not really. You have been a member for 20 months, I have been a member for 4 months. When I hit 20 months, I should be around 2500 posts, not a measly 800 something.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../Icons/boo.gif

I had nuttin' to post back in the day because I had no 05, but I was here during the exciting days of spy photos and first deliveries!

That's when my love for the S197 began... :wub:

89Trooper 5/21/06 04:20 PM

If he's swapping out his rotors to the cross-drilled variety during this time, you're in the know now! :)

He already has them. They have non-directional vanes like ours and he has them installed all like yours.

TacoBill 5/21/06 04:26 PM

He already has them. They have non-directional vanes like ours and he has them installed all like yours.

I'm surprised at all the mis-informed people out there on the subject of crossdrilled/slotted rotors and how they get installed.

We both went from 'wet behind the ears' to 'brake veterans' in 24 hours! :grin:

And thanks for the forum and e-mail help to clear things up.

89Trooper 5/21/06 04:37 PM

I know... keep checking that forum, it'll probably keep going back and forth.

I already had an offer from somebody to buy my old rotors! With just shy of 2000 miles on them, wonder what I should ask for them. Or maybe I should hold on to them for awhile. Even though I can't imagine putting them back on.

89Trooper 5/21/06 04:39 PM

Wonder if I'll get any good or bad comments on my wheels here:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...695#post664695

TacoBill 5/21/06 04:46 PM

Tom-
I marked which wheel my OEM rotors go to and boxed them up with all the other stock parts that I've swapped out. For what reason? I don't know yet.

You should get some +feedback on your Bullitts and tires... can't go wrong with that combination. :yup:

89Trooper 5/21/06 07:58 PM

how do you delete posts? The button says Edit/Delete, but I don't see how to delete.

TacoBill 5/21/06 08:02 PM

how do you delete posts? The button says Edit/Delete, but I don't see how to delete.

Good question. I've only edited my posts, never tried to delete one.

Guess you can just edit it with <DELETE>.

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 10:10 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Well we made it back last night about 10:30pm. Only to realize my son left his backpack, with school books and homework back in Kansas City. :(
Oh well there is a few bucks to get it FedEx back to me.
The car is awsome. I reset the computer again to calcualte the specifics from the front door of the house in Ossowatamie, KS to my front door in OKC.
315 Miles
24.6 AVG MPG (Running 80-85 with a/c on most of the time)
73 AVG MPH (Pretty good I thought for several constructions zones, two toll booths and a stop for food/gas)
There were a couple times I had to to run it up to 100+ (well I didn't really HAVE to) but people just wouldn't scoot over and let me pass :( so I had to haul *** past them.
Smooth ride and no hood flex or shake after I hit 100.
The only thing I think I want to do now is give the wheel wells a good rubberized undercoating. I heard a lot of road noise at times and it always seemed to iminate from the wheel wells. The time I ran through some wet dirt sounded horrible, so that maybe a very soon coming MOD
The car got FILTHY on the trip back.
WARNING THE FOLLOWING PICTURES CONTAIN GRAPHIC IMAGES NOT SUITABLE FOR SOME CAR OWNERS (BILL)
PARENTAL DISCRETION IS ADVISED
Attachment 853Attachment 854Attachment 855

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 10:12 AM

6 Attachment(s)
But of course I cleaned my baby up and made her all pretty again.
Kind of like a woman with and without the make-up :) Sorry Susan.
Attachment 858Attachment 859Attachment 860

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 10:13 AM

I am off to the Painter's, wish me luck. The scoops are supposed to be done today. I'll go grab a bite and drop by.

89Trooper 5/22/06 10:19 AM

Good luck! Bill may not make it to post #712 after the heart attack from seeing post #711.

I put a rubberized undercoating on the rear fenderwells only. I didn't do the fronts because it's mostly plastic.

89Trooper 5/22/06 10:20 AM

Not like this is a contest, but I hit just over 120 MPH :nonono: the other day on the Turnpike. The car was just as smooth and had no flex (and this was with the top down).

89Trooper 5/22/06 10:28 AM

Maybe I'm just fishing for compliments (or complaints), but I asked about my tires and rims here, too:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/the...res_51362.html

Check it out if you are curious what other Ford owners think (there are a lot of old-school guys on that site, so I may get some differences of opinion).

TacoBill 5/22/06 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
The car got FILTHY on the trip back.
WARNING THE FOLLOWING PICTURES CONTAIN GRAPHIC IMAGES NOT SUITABLE FOR SOME CAR OWNERS (BILL)
PARENTAL DISCRETION IS ADVISED

Daryl- What are you trying to do to me? Send me into cardiac arrest? :eek:

At least you washed her up right a way, good job!

So, how did the family back in KC take to the Mustang?

TacoBill 5/22/06 11:04 AM

I am off to the Painter's, wish me luck. The scoops are supposed to be done today. I'll go grab a bite and drop by.

Good luck!

I may be right behind you on these Xenon scoops... :hmm:

TacoBill 5/22/06 11:08 AM

Not like this is a contest, but I hit just over 120 MPH the other day on the Turnpike. The car was just as smooth and had no flex (and this was with the top down).

I only went up to around 80, but that was with less than 100 miles on her (didn't want to stretch her legs out too quickly). *I think I just set myself up for a Daryl Comment :banghead: )*

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 02:07 PM

(didn't want to stretch her legs out too quickly). *I think I just set myself up for a Daryl Comment :banghead: )*

Now do you think I have something perverted to say about EVERYTHING ?
I'm offended that you think that of me. :(

It dpends on what kind of mood she is in as to how fast you stretch them out :eek:

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 02:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
::woohoo::
Scoops are on. I have to go pick up the little man from school. Here is a teaser pic.
Attachment 865

TacoBill 5/22/06 02:38 PM

It dpends on what kind of mood she is in as to how fast you stretch them out :eek:

I knew it.

TacoBill 5/22/06 02:41 PM

Scoops are on. I have to go pick up the little man from school. Here is a teaser pic.

I hope that isn't the tape kit that came with the scoops! :jester: (j/k)

Loos great! More pics, please.

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 02:52 PM

10 Attachment(s)
First off I will say this, I love the look, and the color is about as perfect as you can get.
I prepped the areas where the scoops were going with 91% alcohol from Tom's favorite store, Wal-Mart. I wiped it down thoroughly and let it dry. I could run my finger across the surface and tell where the alcohol had been rubbed as my finger would stick and not slide smoothly across the surface.
I decided to do the window scoops first. Here is the scoop with the 3M tape applied to it.
Attachment 871
The instructions call for a 2-7/8" gap between the door edge and the beginning of the window scoop. I took my 6" stainless rule and placed a strip of masking tape across the length of the back so it wouldn't scratch the paint. Measured 2-7/8" and placed two strips of masking tape to mark the scoops leading edge placement. I then measured 1" down from the top ledge where the side of the car meets the roofline, and placed pieces of masking tape to hold the scoop in place.
Attachment 870
Once in place I outlined the leading edge and top edge of the scoop with masking tape.
Attachment 872
Then I peeled the backing tape off the three pieces of 3M tape on the leading edge and about 4" back on the top and bottom strips, leaving the excess backing strip hang out so I could grab it later.
I placed the leading edge against my masking tape marks, while aligning the top with those masking tape marks. I applied soft pressure to tack the leading edge down and then removed the rest of the backing strip. Applying light pressure I worked from front to back pressing the scoop against the car until it was seated. It came out looking like this.
Attachment 873Attachment 874

Side door scoop coming up in my next post.

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 03:03 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I began the door scoop install immediately after the windows scoops expecting this one to be harder for some reason. I tried to align it using masking tape to mark the placement like I did for the window scoops using masking tape. After about 5 minutes of that I realized it was pointless to do so. The car has a perfect ridge with which to align the scoop and the hockey stick indentation.
So I grabbed the scoop removed the backing strips from the three double sided tape strips along the leading edge and about 4" back on the top and bottom strips. I left them hangin out just like the window scoops.
I then aligned the leading edge with the door jamb and the top of the scoop with the ridges of the car. I pressed lightly and worked from front to back removing the remaining backing strips as I went.
They turned out like this.
Attachment 875Attachment 876Attachment 877Attachment 878

TacoBill 5/22/06 03:15 PM

Daryl- Xenon scoops look excellent! :metal:

Can you take a pic from further back (whole car in pic), would like to see the overall effect of the scoops.

Also, what's inside of the scoop openings? I know they're blocked off, but how far back? Color?

Install question: You didn't make mention of prepping the paint surface. How did you defeat your 3 coats of Zaino?

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 03:19 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Now the post we all have been waiting for :) (Well maybe not all of us and maybe you weren't waiting but)
The completed project.
Attachment 879Attachment 880Attachment 881Attachment 882Attachment 883

Ill go get a close up slot shot for you Bill. Might even take a shot of the scoop holes too :)

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 03:23 PM

Daryl- Xenon scoops look excellent! :metal:

Thanks Bill

Install question: You didn't make mention of prepping the paint surface. How did you defeat your 3 coats of Zaino?

Ooops forgot to mention that. I edited the first post to reflect the process used.

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 03:35 PM

8 Attachment(s)
OK Bill Here you go, the slots in the scoops.
The inside color = Vista Blue
Attachment 885Attachment 886

Depth of the slots
Attachment 887

BOTTOM
Attachment 888

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 03:48 PM

Had to be a Post ***** Like Tom for my induction to Mach 1 status :)

89Trooper 5/22/06 04:23 PM

Geez... I actually go to do some work and POSTS GALORE! Looks good from what I've seen, Daryl! I'll have to go back and read through everything later.

What was the alcohol? $.88?

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 04:33 PM

Geez... I actually go to do some work and POSTS GALORE! Looks good from what I've seen, Daryl! I'll have to go back and read through everything later.

What was the alcohol? $.88?

1.23 since it was 91% the 80% was .75 lol

89Trooper 5/22/06 04:36 PM

Looks great! I don't think I would like the window scoops on my car, though. :hmm:

Ya know what, Daryl?

THAT CAR NEEDS TO BE LOWERED!!

I don't see that mod on your future list. (Wait to you see my lowered pics!)

One look at my car and Mike ordered the same springs...

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 04:57 PM

Looks great! I don't think I would like the window scoops on my car, though. :hmm:

Ya know what, Daryl?

THAT CAR NEEDS TO BE LOWERED!!

I don't see that mod on your future list. (Wait to you see my lowered pics!)

One look at my car and Mike ordered the same springs...

Why the Steeda over other brands such as Eibach, Roush, etc ??

TacoBill 5/22/06 05:20 PM

Why the Steeda over other brands such as Eibach, Roush, etc ??

You're done for now! That's the first question we all asked before taking the plunge.

To sum it up (and correct me Tom, if I'm off on the numbers);

Steeda Sports and Ultralites offer the same drop (mild compared to the others) of approx 7/8" in front and 1" out back. Difference between the 2 is ride quality, the latter being closer to stock.

Eibach Pro drops the fronts approx 1 1/2" and a bit more in back.

Roush, H&R, and BMR being comparable to the Eibachs.

TacoBill 5/22/06 05:23 PM

Looks great! I don't think I would like the window scoops on my car, though.

Yeah, it would be a bit difficult to mount those quarter window scoops on your CONVERTIBLE. :slap:

TacoBill 5/22/06 05:30 PM

OK Bill Here you go, the slots in the scoops.
The inside color = Vista Blue

Thanks for the dimensions. I do like that they're painted the same color on the inside of the scoop area.

Man, you've got me thinking about those now. :hmm:

My next big mods just may be some 12" Gloss White racing stripes and Xenon scoops ('C', quarter window and hood).

By doing this, it'll change the looks drastically!

Also, what I like most about the Xenon kit is that they're all non-permanant mods.

btw- How long did you painter say to wait before laying down a coat of Zaino?

OKCMustangGT 5/22/06 06:04 PM

btw- How long did you painter say to wait before laying down a coat of Zaino?

About two weeks, which he has had them painted a week, so in two weekends when I get a chane I will Zaino them up.
Another 400 mile road trip this weekend, get a weekend break then another 350 mile road trip :( Racking up miles now, over 2500

89Trooper 5/22/06 07:02 PM

You're done for now! That's the first question we all asked before taking the plunge.

To sum it up (and correct me Tom, if I'm off on the numbers);

Steeda Sports and Ultralites offer the same drop (mild compared to the others) of approx 7/8" in front and 1" out back. Difference between the 2 is ride quality, the latter being closer to stock.

Eibach Pro drops the fronts approx 1 1/2" and a bit more in back.

Roush, H&R, and BMR being comparable to the Eibachs.

Exactly right, Bill!

I lowered my '03 GT with Eibach Pro's. It looked really good, but I had to get the adjustable caster/camber plates to bring camber back into specs. Plus, the ride quality wasn't that great after the drop. That's why it took me awhile to lower the '06... I didn't want to ruin the ride quality. Don't get me wrong, you still lose some, but not nearly as much as with an Eibach drop.

Last night at work, I pulled up behind Mike's '06 GT. I didn't realize the difference until I was right next to his car.

Tomorrow, I'll try to take some pics. I wanted to wait at least a week for the springs to settle (they've already gone down a bit more from only driving 2 days).

TacoBill 5/22/06 08:36 PM

Last night at work, I pulled up behind Mike's '06 GT. I didn't realize the difference until I was right next to his car.

In what way? Mike's being level and yours with the foward rake?

TacoBill 5/22/06 08:46 PM

About two weeks, which he has had them painted a week, so in two weekends when I get a chane I will Zaino them up.
Another 400 mile road trip this weekend, get a weekend break then another 350 mile road trip. Racking up miles now, over 2500

I'm ready to Zaino my spoiler now, but I feel like holding off since the stripes are on the horizon.

If mine was a daily, it probably would have around 3k on it now.

As it stands now, I'm averaging a whoping 2.7 miles per day!

89Trooper 5/22/06 09:14 PM

In what way? Mike's being level and yours with the foward rake?

Not much of a forward rake (rear gap is about 3/4" more than the front and now the rear gap is maybe 1/4" or so more than the front).

Mine is closer to level now since from the factory there is a forward rake. Mike's is a little lower in the rear because we cut the top coil of the rear springs.

Mike's is higher overall in the front and rear than mine, but both are pretty level. (That's the difference I meant... that his really looks like a 4x4 now.)

TacoBill 5/22/06 10:06 PM

Not much of a forward rake (rear gap is about 3/4" more than the front and now the rear gap is maybe 1/4" or so more than the front).

I like the 'ever so slight' forward rake it has now.

Can you picture it with stripes & scoops?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../IMG_8026m.jpg

89Trooper 5/22/06 10:58 PM

I meant to say that the rear gap is 3/4" more in the back from the factory.

My rear end may sit lower now than yours, Bill, because of the extra weight of the convertible (170 lbs). Remember, I had a higher spring rate from the factory, but now we have the same spring rates.

Would look great with stripes... but I know it's a big step.

OKCMustangGT 5/23/06 07:10 AM

My rear end may sit lower now than yours, Bill, because of the extra weight

Diet and exercise will take care of that Tom.

Would look great with stripes... but I know it's a big step.

Would look awesome with stripes. I hope I get in contact with Francis pretty soon. Really wanting to get those stripes on mine.

TacoBill 5/23/06 07:25 AM

Diet and exercise will take care of that Tom.

:lol:

I'm curious what the graphic guys charge in OK for the stripes. That will determine the number of degrees I have to bend over. :eek:

OKCMustangGT 5/23/06 07:36 AM

That will determine the number of degrees I have to bend over. :eek:

Ask Tom, I bet he will let you borrow his Angle Gauge

89Trooper 5/23/06 09:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, what do you think? Does my rear-end sit lower (than Bill's)? :hmm:

Attachment 921 Attachment 922

OKCMustangGT 5/23/06 10:22 AM

I would need a pic with you two side-by-side to determine that.
Looks good Tom. I might consider lowering mine, but these roads in Oklahoma SUCK !!!!!. I don't want to get beat to death. Where did you guys buy your Steedas at? and at what cost ?

89Trooper 5/23/06 10:30 AM

I don't think either one of us are willing to drive that far.

Looks good Tom. I might consider lowering mine, but these roads in Oklahoma SUCK !!!!!. I don't want to get beat to death. Where did you guys buy your Steedas at? and at what cost ?
Thanks! And the ride quality is really good! Here's my scale with a stock '06 GT as the best (10) and my '89 with 600 lb-in springs as the worst (1) for ride quality.

1 - My '89 lowered with Ford Racing springs (600 rate)
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 - My '03 GT lowered with Eibach Pro's
7 -
8 - '06 GT lowered with Steeda Ultra Lites
9 - '03 GT factory
10 - '06 GT factory

We both got them directly from Steeda. They are still on sale for $209.95. I got them in 2 days, but had to pay tax since they are in FL.

TacoBill 5/23/06 11:37 AM

Well, I'm only 5' 5" with a 30" inseam. So I'd say that I got the drop on him. :-D

They can't be that bad, otherwise you would've gotten a Caddy, Buick, or Olds.

I think my Steeda's ran $240ish delivered.

TacoBill 5/23/06 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Side by side shot, almost to scale.

89Trooper 5/23/06 01:27 PM

Unless you are extremely lucky, all Mustangs are un-even from the factory. It could be 1/16" lower on the driver's side, or it could be as much as 3/8". I solved this problem in all my Fox-body Mustangs, but now since we are dealing with a modified Lincoln chassis, everything has changed.

In my ongoing obsession to level my car from left to right, I removed the passenger side front sway bar link:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...s/DSCN3398.jpg

And I loosened the top rear sway bar link bolts on each side:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...s/DSCN3399.jpg

I slowly drove around the block to give things a chance to move where they wanted to without having a preload.

REAR SWAY BAR LINKS - As you can see in the pic, the bottom is fixed to the sway bar with a bushing. However, the top bolt has slop. So, if one side is tightened down with the bolt toward the top of the hole and the other side with the bolt toward the bottom of the hole, the body could lean slightly to one side.

FRONT SWAY BAR LINKS - With either link out, the sway bar is rendered useless and the car is under no preload. The arrow shows how the stud can pivot... but once the nut is tight, the stud is at a right angle with the bar. When installing the link, the studs slide right in... but when they are tightened down, it will twist the sway bar or compress the spring a little bit and cause the body to lean to one side.

Before doing this, neither the front of my car or the rear was level. Now, from the bottom of the rim to the fenderwell is dead even in the rear and the front is closer than it has ever been (passenger side still high a bit).

I know how to solve this, but I haven't decided which way to go.

FREE WAY - Washers or shims between the body and strut assembly on the low side. Cheap, but difficult to change out if needed.

EXPENSIVE WAY - Adjustable front sway bar links. These will get rid of the pre-load on the links to help level the car out. Expensive (about $175), but unlimited and easy adjustability if the car settles over time.

TacoBill 5/23/06 03:06 PM

In my ongoing obsession to level my car from left to right...

So when are you going to order the 'adjustable front sway bar links'?
It's just a matter of time... :yup:

OKCMustangGT 5/23/06 04:38 PM

So when are you going to order the 'adjustable front sway bar links'?
It's just a matter of time... :yup:

You are a bad influence Bill. :shakehead: :)

TacoBill 5/23/06 06:24 PM

You are a bad influence Bill.

I know Tom. He's getting ready to order these.

It cannot be stopped.

For the rest of us, we'll hang back and wait until he confirms the purchase. :popcorn:

89Trooper 5/23/06 09:40 PM

I know Tom. He's getting ready to order these.

It cannot be stopped.

He does know me! :crying:

I probably will order them because I REALLY can't stand the car un-level.

TacoBill 5/24/06 07:47 AM

Tom- Heard on the news that hurricane season is quickly approaching. Keep her bunkered down and out of harms way! :nice:

TacoBill 5/24/06 11:16 AM

Everyone must be :sleeping: ... starting to hear crickets.

KdF 5/24/06 11:56 AM

<BANG!!>

Saw a big one..................

89Trooper 5/24/06 06:57 PM

Tom- Heard on the news that hurricane season is quickly approaching. Keep her bunkered down and out of harms way! :nice:

Yep... starts on June 1st.

Now you'll have something else to track! I'll post a link to any hurricane coming our way, and you can watch with me as we all hope and keep our fingers crossed that it steers away from us.

The 2006 forecast calls for:
  • 17 named tropical storms; an average season has 9.6.
  • 9 hurricanes compared to the average of 5.9.
  • 5 major hurricanes with winds exceeding 110 mph; average is 2.3.
We were at Busch Gardens all day riding SheiKra!

TacoBill 5/24/06 10:07 PM

Yep... starts on June 1st.

That's scary.

That looks really scary!

OKCMustangGT 5/24/06 10:13 PM

H E L L Y E A I wanna ride that :)

89Trooper 5/24/06 10:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you guys ever come to FL, we'll go!

Have to go to bed... have another Mustang to lower in the morning...

I modified the pic a little... who wouldn't lower that car?

Attachment 1004

TacoBill 5/24/06 10:22 PM

Have to go to bed... have another Mustang to lower in the morning...

Tom's new side business, "Tom's Springs N' Things". :jester:

89Trooper 5/24/06 10:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the real picture again. I tried taking them in the same spot and you can see how the rocker panel is more level now.

Attachment 1005

TacoBill 5/25/06 07:27 AM

Here's the real picture again. I tried taking them in the same spot and you can see how the rocker panel is more level now.

It's amazing what 7/8" - 1" drop does to the overall appearance of the vehicle.

Funny, in some of my side view pics, it looks level and in others, the forward rake is prominent. :dunno:

89Trooper 5/25/06 11:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I found another change from '05 to '06 (Mike's '06 got some left over '05 parts). Look at the difference between the front sway bar links (I'm holding mine since it is out of the car now):

Attachment 1020

Those are the links shown here (and I never did understand what the guy was comparing the adjustable links too):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8036952357

Click on the 4th picture in the auction.

89Trooper 5/25/06 11:44 AM

It's amazing what 7/8" - 1" drop does to the overall appearance of the vehicle.

See my modified pic in post 764? That's what I should use to show how good the Ultra Lites are! (I lowered the wheels even more in the top pic)

89Trooper 5/25/06 11:51 AM

Daryl... something to watch out for if you lower it... Mike's top strut bearing assembly came apart a little bit (or it was that way to begin with). It's very easy to fix, though.

We popped it off all the way (carefully) and the ball bearings weren't in the right places at all. There is a ring with a hole for every ball bearing... we just layed them all back into place and snapped the two halves back together and it was good as new!

Now... if a shop installed the springs they may not even have noticed the ball bearings were out of place. They would have installed the new spring and remounted the strut assembly. I knew right away something was wrong because the two halves didn't spin properly.

OKCMustangGT 5/25/06 12:00 PM

Daryl... something to watch out for if you lower it... Mike's top strut bearing assembly came apart a little bit (or it was that way to begin with). It's very easy to fix, though.

We popped it off all the way (carefully) and the ball bearings weren't in the right places at all. There is a ring with a hole for every ball bearing... we just layed them all back into place and snapped the two halves back together and it was good as new!

Now... if a shop installed the springs they may not even have noticed the ball bearings were out of place. They would have installed the new spring and remounted the strut assembly. I knew right away something was wrong because the two halves didn't spin properly.

I might lower it as it does make your car look better. I am just not sold on it yet, due to the crappy roads I drive over EVERY day. :(
I really don't like messing with stuff like that, as I am sure I would screw something up and almost all of my friends have no clue about working on cars either, I don't even think they could change their own oil if they had to.

TacoBill 5/25/06 12:02 PM

Now we know who's Mustang you're dropping today! :yup:
So, did Mike get the Ultralites too?

Yes, your pic in post #764 shows the Ultralite drop nicely.

Wonder why Ford changed the link design? Did the 05's use an aluminum link? (looks like it)

Good thing you fixed Mike's bearing cap, I read alot of threads about the 'popping noise when turning', bet this is the problem.

89Trooper 5/25/06 12:51 PM

Yep!

You know that is a fake pic, right?

Wonder why Ford changed the link design? Did the 05's use an aluminum link? (looks like it)
I think so... aluminum, so it's fatter.

Good thing you fixed Mike's bearing cap, I read alot of threads about the 'popping noise when turning', bet this is the problem.
Almost makes me wish I would have popped my bearing assemblies apart to make sure all the ball bearings were in place.

TacoBill 5/25/06 01:09 PM

Yep!
And to think, I started this revolution.

You know that is a fake pic, right?
Post your REAL side view pic and let's see its REAL stance.

I think so... aluminum, so it's fatter.
Got a magnet?

Almost makes me wish I would have popped my bearing assemblies apart to make sure all the ball bearings were in place.
No need... if it ain't poppin', your balls are in the right place. :grin:

89Trooper 5/25/06 01:27 PM

Post 764 is fake (look how high the body sits - I moved the wheels down in the top pic using Paint).

Post 766 is real and the lines show the stance.

TacoBill 5/25/06 01:43 PM

Post 766 is real and the lines show the stance.

That's better. :)

OKCMustangGT 5/25/06 02:21 PM

No need... if it ain't poppin', your balls are in the right place. :grin:

I'm afraid to ask if "WHAT" ain't poppin' ? :eek:

89Trooper 5/25/06 07:46 PM

I'm afraid to ask if "WHAT" ain't poppin' ? :eek:

Your strut bearing cap during turns.

Anybody need any springs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

TacoBill 5/25/06 09:02 PM

Your strut bearing cap during turns.

Anybody need any springs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

Mike is selling his MRT CAI already? :wonder:

89Trooper 5/25/06 09:06 PM

Mike is selling his MRT CAI already? :wonder:

You are good... he bought a BBK plenum cover, and the matching BBK CAI kit... and the BBK throttle body.

I would have offered that MRT kit to Daryl (or anybody else if he didn't want it), but I didn't like it very much.

Wow... 2 hours in and already 4 bids. How do these people find this stuff so quick? Only 9 days, 21 hours left!

TacoBill 5/26/06 09:42 AM

You are good... he bought a BBK plenum cover, and the matching BBK CAI kit... and the BBK throttle body.

Post pics of his BBK stuff once installed. I would like to see how it looks.

89Trooper 5/26/06 09:46 AM

Post pics of his BBK stuff once installed. I would like to see how it looks.

Okay... But, the plenum cover came and was messed up. That was returned and they are sending another one. The CAI is on back order, and the throttle body should be here soon from Jeg's (if it isn't on back order).

OKCMustangGT 5/26/06 10:55 AM

Okay... But, the plenum cover came and was messed up. That was returned and they are sending another one. The CAI is on back order, and the throttle body should be here soon from Jeg's (if it isn't on back order).

Looks like some one needs to update their sig.

AutoVation Competition Pedals & Heel Guard (in progress), MGW GT Oil Cap, Rotorpros Cross-Drilled/Slotted Zinc Plated Rotors (ordered)

89Trooper 5/26/06 10:59 AM

Looks like some one needs to update their sig.

AutoVation Competition Pedals & Heel Guard (in progress), MGW GT Oil Cap, Rotorpros Cross-Drilled/Slotted Zinc Plated Rotors (ordered)

That's funny... I was working on that, then I saw your post! Pedals are still in progress since I haven't finished the heel guard yet.

TacoBill 5/26/06 12:11 PM

Daryl- I see that you ordered the 12" BSM stripes?

Good going! Get a price from your installer yet?

TacoBill 5/26/06 12:44 PM

Finally made an appointment with my front end specialist.

Monday, June 5.

I'll take my camber bolts with me just incase.

KdF 5/26/06 01:03 PM

MY Stripes just arrived with the Mailman. Ain`t gonna call around for a price now , everyone`s leaving early for the Holiday.
I`ll give it a try on tuesday.

OKCMustangGT 5/26/06 01:31 PM

Daryl- I see that you ordered the 12" BSM stripes?

Good going! Get a price from your installer yet?

No quote yet, but if she can't install the pre-cut kit, then I don't want her touching my car anyway. :)
$150.15 shipping included.
That is a very reasonable price IMO.
If for some reason she wants too much for labor or I can never get in contact with her, I guess I will attempt it myself :eek:

TacoBill 5/26/06 02:25 PM

If for some reason she wants too much for labor or I can never get in contact with her, I guess I will attempt it myself :eek:

I would like to see that happen... I know that if you're successful at laying them down, I've got a decent shot at it myself.

If you do go for it, I'll want to know all the details and hiccups that the other guys that posted here in TMS aren't saying. From all DIY'ers, there's one common bit of advise... patience.

If I did go for the install, I would lay them down in the following order; hood, roof, rear deck and spoiler, bumpers, CDC spoiler (and possibly hood scoop) last.

Rob (at BSM) sent me a test strip of Gloss White a while back. I haven't had the nerve to try it out yet, mainly because I would hate to alcohol wipe my Zaino shield off from anywhere. But, depending on which direction I go with this, I may try my skills on the hardest part, the front bumper. If I pass that test, the rest should be easier.

OKCMustangGT 5/26/06 03:37 PM

If I did go for the install, I would lay them down in the following order; hood, roof, rear deck and spoiler, bumpers, CDC spoiler (and possibly hood scoop) last.

Pretty much the same order I had ran through in my head. Hood, Roof, Rear Deck, Spoiler, Rear Bumper, Front Bumper then Chin Spoiler if & when I get one.
I have one upcoming weekend free with no kid or any plans, (Yes I know I am a pathetic loser) so if I get antsy I will try it then.
(June 3-4)

You know I will take pics and do a write-up if I attempt something like this. :)

TacoBill 5/26/06 09:32 PM

You know I will take pics and do a write-up if I attempt something like this. :)

... Whether you succeed or not.

Good luck my friend.

We'll be here pullin' for ya! :banana:

swwake 5/27/06 10:03 AM

Goooood morning! Guess what? I'm going to get the windows tinted today!!! I'll post an update later tonight.

TacoBill 5/27/06 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by swwake
Goooood morning! Guess what? I'm going to get the windows tinted today!!! I'll post an update later tonight.

Sounds great! Post pics for sure.

You're finally getting rid of the 'fishbowl' effect. :-D

89Trooper 5/27/06 04:04 PM

And the felt installed? This will be soon for me, too.

swwake 5/27/06 05:51 PM

I'll post some pics tomorrow. Chris had the camera with him in his truck when I got home, so I didn't have it to take pics. We're off to a dinner cookout/fight night, so no time to take and upload pics at the moment, but I will have them tomorrow.

I didn't realize this meant I would have to spend the rest of the holiday weekend with the top up :( (They recommend waiting 3-5 days before rolling down the windows, and they want to see the car for a no-charge "check-up" in 3-4 days.) We talked to the two installers at length about the felt/velcro. One was off duty today but was installing tint on his buddy's mustang (either '05 or '06). He seemed to know of the issue, but said that adding the soft side of velcro wouldn't really help because it is still a synthetic material. He said the best bet is to just keep the rubber strip VERY clean (as in, wipe it down with a wet rag after driving through dust, near the beach, etc.) and keep it conditioned to keep it from drying out. The soft velcro and felt apparently could catch and hold dust particles, etc. The shop and the manufacturer offer a lifetime warranty. So Chris and I talked about it a little, and decided to go ahead with the install today. If we get scratches, we'll take it back and have it replaced or get a refund, if possible. Chris said that he's done tint before and could have done mine, but didn't think about it until today, and said "let's go ahead and get the professional install". Anyway, there's my long story.

Legal in TX is 18 back, 35 sides. So that's what we got. We had the option of 35 on the little back windows, but opted to match the side windows, since they butt right up against.

All in all, it makes a huge difference in the appearance of the car (as did Bill's). And it just feels a little better to drive in the shade. I can't believe I actually beat Tom to a mod!

swwake 5/27/06 05:54 PM

I guess I might as well have legal window tint, even if I'm not going to have the legal front LP :hmm:

TacoBill 5/27/06 11:27 PM

Sad night for the BJJ world... Royce Gracie lost to Matt Hughes in UFC 60. :shakehead:

89Trooper 5/27/06 11:31 PM

Legal in TX is 18 back, 35 sides. So that's what we got. We had the option of 35 on the little back windows, but opted to match the side windows, since they butt right up against.

No strip up front? Is FL the only state that does this? The tint in the center of the windshield goes right over the bottom edge of the rear-view mirror. Then it curves to the sides of the windshield whereever it ends up (below the legal limit). REALLY helps with the sun.

No velcro? Bill will be flabbergasted.

I can't believe I actually beat Tom to a mod!

It won't happen again!

Sad night for the BJJ world... Royce Gracie lost to Matt Hughes in UFC 60. :shakehead:

Not much into boxing. http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Icons/boxe.gif

89Trooper 5/28/06 08:47 AM

Finally made an appointment with my front end specialist.

Monday, June 5.

I'll take my camber bolts with me just incase.

Let us know how it goes. My cam bolts should be here any day. I'll put them in the top bolt location and make an appointment.

OKCMustangGT 5/28/06 09:49 AM

uhh, I guess not UFC is not boxing. UFC is a MAN's sport. :)
Mixed Martial Arts and they can hurt poeple in a BAD BAD way and very quickly.
Royce is past his prime and the UFC has changed dramaticaly from it's early stages when Gracie dominated the field.
The outcome was pretty much how I thought it would be.

Still need pics Susan :)