The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Ponies on The Run (Again) (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/ponies-run-again-432873/)

KdF 5/17/06 07:14 AM

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...showtopic=3543

Looks like Commander K got in trouble.

I wish him the best.

OKCMustangGT 5/17/06 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by KdF
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...showtopic=3543

Looks like Commander K got in trouble.

I wish him the best.

Yea, I hope all is well, he provided an awsome service to all of us.

TacoBill 5/17/06 07:43 AM

Mr. K sure helped most of us out by filling in the blanks during the whole build process.

I feel sorry for all current (and future) customers that were tracking their babies down the line. :shakehead:

Some party pooper in Ford needs a gentle attitude adjustment... :brick:

89Trooper 5/17/06 10:38 AM

Too bad about Kzinti. I would have hated waiting not knowing what was going on.

Well...

Front Springs are installed. PIECE OF CAKE!! I didn't take any pictures because Bill's write-up was already excellent.

I wasn't worried about getting the strut assemblies out (a few bolts here, a few nuts there), I was just concerned about compressing the stock springs.

I used the impact wrench to loosen the center nut while still on the car (not too much as I didn't want the nut to come off!) The Auto Zone free-rental spring compressors worked great. I hooked one on each side and used the air ratchet a little on each side until I felt the bearing cap was loose. Then I just took the center nut and bearing cap off (how people lose the bearings is beyond me)???

To get the new springs on, I just put the spring into place, placed on the bearing cap, put a little weight on the spring and started the nut. No spring compressor required!

Camber Adjustment - I was expecting some sort of "slot" on either the top or bottom spindle hole to adjust at least some camber. Both spindle holes were round and both strut holes were round. The only adjustment is the slop of the bolts in the holes. I still pulled the top of the rotor out as much as possible.

Using my digital angle finder, both front wheels had -1° of camber. I laid a straight edge up and down on the sidewalls of the rear tires. They were both at 89.1° (I took this to equal 90°), due to the bulge of the bottom side wall. Both front tires showed 88.1° on the angle finder. This is how I determined the -1° of camber on both front tires. After driving a few days, I'll see what the camber is on the front tires to see if I need the camber bolts. I even marked the exact spot in the garage that I did this so I can duplicate the results next time.

Rear Springs - Tomorrow.

TacoBill 5/17/06 11:39 AM

Front Springs... I didn't take any pictures because Bill's write-up was already excellent.
Why thank you; you're too kind! :-D

Camber Adjustment - ...I still pulled the top of the rotor out as much as possible.

Using my digital angle finder, both front wheels had -1° of camber.
Both front tires showed 88.1° on the angle finder. This is how I determined the -1° of camber on both front tires.
Did you take a reading on the front tires of the 'before'? If so, what was the difference in angles?

Than tiny amount of bolt 'slop' must equate to +/- 0.75 degrees of adjustability.

Did you swap out the front rotors at the same time (or they haven't arrived yet?)?

Rear Springs - Tomorrow.
The day's still young! Whatcha waiting for?

89Trooper 5/17/06 12:29 PM

Camber Adjustment - ...I still pulled the top of the rotor out as much as possible. Using my digital angle finder, both front wheels had -1° of camber.
Both front tires showed 88.1° on the angle finder. This is how I determined the -1° of camber on both front tires.
Did you take a reading on the front tires of the 'before'? If so, what was the difference in angles?
I typed out of order there. Those measurements were "before".
Rear tires = 89.1
° (Therefore, lower tire bulge = 0.9° because they should be 90°).
Front tires = 88.1
° + 0.9° = 89.0° (So, front tires have -1° camber from the factory).
This is what I will shoot for after driving for awhile (even though I'll still check the front tires angle after driving around the block!)

Than tiny amount of bolt 'slop' must equate to +/- 0.75 degrees of adjustability.
Also, there is bolt slop on the four studs on the shock tower. Not much, but since the fulcrum is the bottom of the spindle, .25
° of camber adjustment might be there, too. Which is alot when trying to get .75° back. I pulled these toward the fenderwell when I tightened them.

Did you swap out the front rotors at the same time (or they haven't arrived yet?)?
No Fed-Ex yet.

Rear Springs - Tomorrow.
The day's still young! Whatcha waiting for?
We are going to a matinee to see RV. Then to Outback for a late Mother's Day dinner.

TacoBill 5/17/06 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
...Then to Outback for a late Mother's Day dinner.

Alright, we'll cut you some slack then. :)

I'm curious to see what the current camber angle is now after the pulling and tweaking to achieve max +camber.

89Trooper 5/17/06 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I'm curious to see what the current camber angle is now after the pulling and tweaking to achieve max +camber.

Just from looking at it, it looks more negative.

Now that I've seen everything first hand, I have no idea how those camber bolts work. There are 3 places where the spindle attaches. Upper bolt, lower bolt, and lower A-arm.

I know for a fact now that the camber bolts go in the top hole (I read an article in Mustang Enthusiast where they used them).

OK, so they go in the top bolt. Where does the spindle pivot? On the A-arm attachment? If so, there would have to be a slot in the lower bolt. Or, does it pivot on the lower bolt? Then the A-arm mounting point would have to move in toward the car. I don't get it.

89Trooper 5/17/06 01:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
They just came in and I threw one on:

Attachment 598

A little less area there between the tire and fender, too.

TacoBill 5/17/06 01:35 PM

Lookin' good! :nice:

OKCMustangGT 5/17/06 02:55 PM

Attachment 598

Looks good !!
You guys make me sick, you have done 2-4 mods apiece and I still don't have my scoops :(
I sure hope he calls me, but I guess it wont matter since I will be out of town this weekend.

TacoBill 5/17/06 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Looks good !!
You guys make me sick, you have done 2-4 mods apiece and I still don't have my scoops :(
I sure hope he calls me, but I guess it wont matter since I will be out of town this weekend.

But wait til you get them on, it'll be worth it! :yup:

Don't forget to pack the Z-6 and a towel for your road trip.
Love Bugs or not, it's a jungle out there! :eek:

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 06:46 AM

But wait til you get them on, it'll be worth it! :yup:

Don't forget to pack the Z-6 and a towel for your road trip.
Love Bugs or not, it's a jungle out there! :eek:

I plan too, but my family will think I have gone :screwy: when I pull out the towel and start pritzing the Z-6 :)
She is getting rinsed, dried and Z-6'd tonight in prep for the long trip.
PS I got the sticky squares (on the rims), loose tape, dirty crevices and the A/C rings all taken care of last night. No alcohol to remove X need to make a trip to the store :)

TacoBill 5/18/06 07:29 AM

I plan too, but my family will think I have gone :screwy: when I pull out the towel and start pritzing the Z-6

.... No alcohol to remove X need to make a trip to the store

You should hear the comments I get from my family... It's already clean!, You're gonna rub the paint right off!, etc., etc.

Your family will think you're really loco when you start watching them like a hawk as they get up and personal with your baby. And, I hope they're not the 'touchy and feely' type, you know, the ones that just can't point at things, they must touch and feel it!
You better reconsider and bring along the Z-6.

No alcohol in the house?? We gotta talk.. :nonono:

TacoBill 5/18/06 07:43 AM

...I have no idea how those camber bolts work.

Sorry Tom, forgot to reply about this yesterday.

Here's what my 'front end' guy told me about these types of camber bolts...

Avoid them if at all possible.

Reason being, the OEM bolts are 14mm and have been engineered to accomodate the stress and (sheer) load in that area.
Problem with the cam bolt is that the shank is 12mm with a 14mm head. Meaning, the required load for this bolt size is now compromised.

Will it be still okay? For the everyday driver, most likely yes.
However, for the track folks, most likely no.

Since I don't see myself Autocrossing anytime soon, I'll have the cam bolts installed if needed (haven't checked my camber yet).

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 07:55 AM

No alcohol in the house?? We gotta talk.. :nonono:

Which type of alcohol are you refferring to?
There is a reason for some of the types to not be in the house.:) (long story LOL )

TacoBill 5/18/06 08:17 AM

Well, the ol' $0.99 rubbing alcohol will work great!
You'll need some to install your scoops too.

btw- what brand scoops did you get?

TacoBill 5/18/06 08:17 AM

Well, the ol' $0.99 rubbing alcohol will work great!
You'll need some to install your scoops too.

btw- what brand scoops did you get? Never mind.. I just saw your sig. :sleeping:

Double post.. Ughh.. bare with me, I'm on my first cup of coffee, it hasn't kicked in yet...

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 08:20 AM

btw- what brand scoops did you get?

The man can spot dirty crevices and green x-marks on my engine bay but can't read a SIG :dunno:
Sorry Bill couldn't refuse that one :)

TacoBill 5/18/06 08:22 AM

The man can spot dirty crevices and green x-marks on my engine bay but can't read a SIG :dunno:
Sorry Bill couldn't refuse that one :)

I'm blaming the response time of the caffeine kick, see my edit above.

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 08:25 AM

I'm blaming the response time of the caffeine kick, see my edit above.

Looks like someone else has found the alcohol. :drunk2:
LOL

89Trooper 5/18/06 08:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't recall seeing that I had to remove these is your write-up, Bill:

Attachment 638

The axle wouldn't lower enough with these Vert-Only Specials in the way.

So much for the rear being easier.

BTW, did you get the feeling that the car was folding in half when you lowered the rear axle and supported the frame on the jackstands? They are so far forward.

TacoBill 5/18/06 08:43 AM

I don't recall seeing that I had to remove these is your write-up, Bill:

Attachment 638

The axle wouldn't lower enough with these Vert-Only Specials in the way.

So much for the rear being easier.

BTW, did you get the feeling that the car was folding in half when you lowered the rear axle and supported the frame on the jackstands? They are so far forward.

I don't have those funny looking bars. :jester:

No folding feeling, but one side seem to go down further than the other.

I always leave the floor jack up under the pumpkin in conjunction with the jack stands, just incase. I don't trust either by themselves.

89Trooper 5/18/06 08:52 AM

I always leave the floor jack up under the pumpkin in conjunction with the jack stands, just incase. I don't trust either by themselves.

So do I, but when the axle is all the way down to remove the springs, the jack isn't supporting the car at all.

It's just the thought of all the weight of the car on the 2 jack-stand points IN FRONT of the rear wheels.

TacoBill 5/18/06 08:58 AM

So do I, but when the axle is all the way down to remove the springs, the jack isn't supporting the car at all.

It's just the thought of all the weight of the car on the 2 jack-stand points IN FRONT of the rear wheels.

Yes, it's alot of weight. To add to that, you even have to press down on each side of the axle to get the OEM springs out.

Hope your life insurance is paid up. :jester:

TacoBill 5/18/06 09:15 AM

Got my MGW oil and radiator caps installed! :banana:

Quality is 1st Class like their other stuff. These are complete replacement caps, not covers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...f/IMG_8187.jpg

89Trooper 5/18/06 09:17 AM

Caps look great!

Hey, which way did you face the pig tails on the rear springs? Do you remember?

TacoBill 5/18/06 09:30 AM

Hey, which way did you face the pig tails on the rear...

Towards the latrine! :jester: Sorry, had to say it.

Doesn't matter, but you can see the indentation on the axle pad from the OEM coils and orientate them the same.

89Trooper 5/18/06 09:39 AM

Towards the latrine! :jester: Sorry, had to say it.

Doesn't matter, but you can see the indentation on the axle pad from the OEM coils and orientate them the same.

I took the pads off before checking to clean them (wasn't thinking about pigtails then). The passenger side pad was folded under itself, so I fixed that.

Pre-'05 manuals tell you to face the pigtails a certain way.

The '06 service manual says the labels on the stock springs should be toward the rear. This makes the pigtails face toward the front.

So, dumb or not, I re-lowered the rear axle and rotated the springs that way (the vert braces were still off, so it was easy).

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 09:47 AM

Got my MGW oil and radiator caps installed! :banana:

Quality is 1st Class like their other stuff. These are complete replacement caps, not covers.

Those look awsome Bill.

TacoBill 5/18/06 09:50 AM

Mustang Cafe

10 Attachment(s)
Well, I had my 2nd outing at the Cafe with my club. There were alot more 05/06's out there this time. Many more came after I took these pics and almost every color was represented except for PW and VB, maybe 12-13 or so total.

I was flanked by GT's with Saleen superchargers, pretty neat, but the cost of them... :confused:

I was the only one with the CDC Classic Chin Spoiler! :banana:
And yes, everyone loved it!

I got to see a set of Xenon scoops up close and my son, Chris, says that we MUST get them! Obviously, he must think I have an endless supply of money.

The wife is sporting my new club jacket I picked up lastnight. I'll turn her into a Mustang fan yet!

TacoBill 5/18/06 09:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)

I took the pads off before checking to clean them (wasn't thinking about pigtails then). The passenger side pad was folded under itself, so I fixed that.

Pre-'05 manuals tell you to face the pigtails a certain way.

The '06 service manual says the labels on the stock springs should be toward the rear. This makes the pigtails face toward the front.

So, dumb or not, I re-lowered the rear axle and rotated the springs that way (the vert braces were still off, so it was easy).

Here's 2 pics of the way mine are. Can't really see the actual ends, but you can imagine pretty much where it is.

TacoBill 5/18/06 10:15 AM

Daryl, when you get your scoops back, can you take a pic of the backsides? I want to see how and where the double side tape goes.

Not sure if I allready asked you this, but are you doing anything different to the rear quarter windows before installing your scoops over them? (Same tint, darker tint, balckout film?)

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 10:31 AM

Daryl, when you get your scoops back, can you take a pic of the backsides? I want to see how and where the double side tape goes.

Not sure if I allready asked you this, but are you doing anything different to the rear quarter windows before installing your scoops over them? (Same tint, darker tint, balckout film?)

When I get them back from the painter I will snap pics of the backside. He was going to apply the tape to the backside of my scoops for me, and I don't know if he has done that already or not. (Might drop by at lunch again today) I don't plan on doing anything to the window. I think with the 15% tint and the black background of the scoop it will just look black from inside the car. (If I can get a friend to hold the scoops up I will snap some pics of that too)
The back of the scoops have a tape ledge, a sunken area that borders the entire scoop. If you can visualize that :)

KdF 5/18/06 01:13 PM

A bad day In Austin. As of latley , I aint been in to gooda mood. Job and all that noise , but I go in real early in the AM , and iffin it aint rainin , or a good chance I`ll drive the GT. Took the pony in today. Well a rotten day at the JOB , and I get off after 10 hrs <at the Airport> and start down the street. well it used to be Bergstrom AFB , and the streets are a few of the same when it was. Well , for me to get out , I have to go thru a 4 way stop. it used to be a double checkpoint. well I wait my turn and start to make my left turn and this city HACK <Taxi> turns at the same time as I do. he has a lane but he seems to want mine as well. Well I got to cut the turn sharper than normal and BAM! Nailed the curb on the left side of the rear tire HARD. M&*%#% F*^$#@!!! All the way home I kept thinkin I just screwed my mag wheel all to hell. Got in the driveway and looked and Nuthin , just a rub on my tire. ****ed glad I got the 17 inchers with lots `O meat , cuz if it was low profile , those Air Force curbs would have bent it for sure. Just got my Sequential tail lights in the mail , lemme put `em in.
:woohoo:

TacoBill 5/18/06 01:19 PM

Mike- Sounds like you had a close call. Glad no permanent damage occurred.

Good luck with the sequentials, they're on my future mod list.

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by KdF
A bad day In Austin. As of latley , I aint been in to gooda mood. Job and all that noise , but I go in real early in the AM , and iffin it aint rainin , or a good chance I`ll drive the GT. Took the pony in today. Well a rotten day at the JOB , and I get off after 10 hrs <at the Airport> and start down the street. well it used to be Bergstrom AFB , and the streets are a few of the same when it was. Well , for me to get out , I have to go thru a 4 way stop. it used to be a double checkpoint. well I wait my turn and start to make my left turn and this city HACK <Taxi> turns at the same time as I do. he has a lane but he seems to want mine as well. Well I got to cut the turn sharper than normal and BAM! Nailed the curb on the left side of the rear tire HARD. M&*%#% F*^$#@!!! All the way home I kept thinkin I just screwed my mag wheel all to hell. Got in the driveway and looked and Nuthin , just a rub on my tire. ****ed glad I got the 17 inchers with lots `O meat , cuz if it was low profile , those Air Force curbs would have bent it for sure. Just got my Sequential tail lights in the mail , lemme put `em in.
:woohoo:

I'm glad you have no damage :) The one thing I have noticed since I got my Stang (or maybe I just pay more attention) is that I am a freaking target for stupid people on the road. I have had more people pull out in front of me, cut me off, etc than ever before.

I stopped by the painters at lunch and he said they should be ready today or tomorrow, so hopefully a Monday install :) (Took Monday off !!)
I took some pictures for you Bill, and with the 15% Window Tint and the scoop over the window it just looks like a black window. Can't see any of the lettering etc on the scoop through the window. I also took pics of the backside of them, before the 3M tape.
I will post pics tonight when I get home (no USB cable or card reader for the camera at work)
Got those springs installed yet Tom? You have had all day now :)

TacoBill 5/18/06 02:02 PM

I took some pictures for you Bill, and with the 15% Window Tint and the scoop over the window it just looks like a black window. Can't see any of the lettering etc on the scoop through the window. I also took pics of the backside of them, before the 3M tape.
I will post pics tonight when I get home (no USB cable or card reader for the camera at work)

Got those springs installed yet Tom? You have had all day now :)

Thanks, looking forward to seeing them.
On that topic, what made you pull the trigger and get the Xenon scoops over the others (Cervini, Razzi, 3D Carbon, etc.)?

Yeah Tom, where's the pics?

89Trooper 5/18/06 02:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm slooooow and picky. I had to mess around with those braces, too:

Attachment 651

I'm glad I found that tightening order.

Plus, I'm playing around with camber (seeing how much of a difference it makes on how you install the top 4 nuts).

Bill -- Did you just tighten those nuts down? center the middle stud? try to hit the same marks as from the factory? something else?

TacoBill 5/18/06 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)

I'm slooooow and picky. I had to mess around with those braces, too:

Attachment 651

I'm glad I found that tightening order.

Plus, I'm playing around with camber (seeing how much of a difference it makes on how you install the top 4 nuts).

Bill -- Did you just tighten those nuts down? center the middle stud? try to hit the same marks as from the factory? something else?

Torque pattern for those bars? :wonder: Well, if you have the sheet, use it.

Yes, I just tightened down the nuts, typical torque pattern.
Positioned the studs/nuts in the exact factory position.

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 03:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Thanks, looking forward to seeing them.
On that topic, what made you pull the trigger and get the Xenon scoops over the others (Cervini, Razzi, 3D Carbon, etc.)?

Well to be honest, originally I wanted the Cervinis Window Scoops, but after seeing them on several other members cars, they just looked TOO big.
I didn't like the 3D carbon soley because the opening is cut straight with no taper.
Attachment 654
I like the shape of the Razzi, but they are only as big as the window and would be my 2nd choice.
I got the door scoops from Xenon because IMO they are the only ones that flow with the shape of the car. The others look TOO tape-on. The Xenon wrap over the wheel well a little and make it look more like it was supposed to be there.

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 03:19 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Why you always make sure your parking brake is set.
This happened at work today. No one knows why.
This was an old Blazer of the owner's that no one has driven in quite awhile, it was just stored here.
Attachment 656Attachment 655Attachment 657Attachment 658

TacoBill 5/18/06 03:23 PM

I didn't like the 3D carbon soley because the opening is cut straight with no taper.

I like the shape of the Razzi, but they are only as big as the window and would be my 2nd choice.

I got the door scoops from Xenon because IMO they are the only ones that flow with the shape of the car. The others look TOO tape-on. The Xenon wrap over the wheel well a little and make it look more like it was supposed to be there.

On the 3D pic, the red arrow is pointing at the straight cut ledge? Also looks like the leading edge isn't taped town that good either.

Man, I keep going back and forth on these scoops. First it was 'all systems go!', then it went to the back burner, now its back to the front.

Also re-considering the 10 or 12" vinyl racing stripes.

I wonder if I'll ever sit back and say, 'I'm finally done!'.

89Trooper 5/18/06 03:25 PM

Positioned the studs/nuts in the exact factory position.

I pulled the strut assembly over toward the fenderwell when I tightened those 4 nuts. The holes are quite a bit bigger then the studs, so the studs are pulled against the side closest to the fenderwell.

Now the center stud is 6mm closer to one side of the hole than the other (it used to be centered in the hole or close to it).

Doing that tilts the spindle a lot more then the slop in the bolts where the spindle attaches to the strut assembly.

Never!

That happened in the movie RV!

TacoBill 5/18/06 03:26 PM

This happened at work today. No one knows why.
This was an old Blazer of the owner's that no one has driven in quite awhile, it was just stored here.

Wow! :eek:

That's unfortunate, but it's kinda funny (I have a twisted sense of humor sometimes).

I always set my parking brake, even in the garage (which is level).

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 03:30 PM

Wow! :eek:

That's unfortunate, but it's kinda funny (I have a twisted sense of humor sometimes).

I always set my parking brake, even in the garage (which is level).

Trust me, about the only person that wasn't laughing around here was the owner.
To make things even funnier, of all the times for this to happen, we had an insurance company here to quote on the fleet insurance. LOL, how funny is that.

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 03:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)

On the 3D pic, the red arrow is pointing at the straight cut ledge? Also looks like the leading edge isn't taped town that good either.

The circled areas are what I am referring too.
Attachment 659
See how there is no variation on the 3D and there is a 2-3" variation on the Xenon ? That is what I liked about them.

Just like Tom said "NEVER" :nonono:

TacoBill 5/18/06 04:31 PM

See how there is no variation on the 3D and there is a 2-3" variation on the Xenon ? That is what I liked about them.

Just like Tom said "NEVER"

It's crystal now. :yup:

Never? Well then, let's go spend some more money! I'm supposed to get a stock option bonus next month, hmm... stripes? scoops?? both???

TacoBill 5/18/06 04:33 PM

I pulled the strut assembly over toward the fenderwell when I tightened those 4 nuts. The holes are quite a bit bigger then the studs, so the studs are pulled against the side closest to the fenderwell.

Now the center stud is 6mm closer to one side of the hole than the other (it used to be centered in the hole or close to it).

Tom- Take a pic of the top studs. Can't get a visual on which direction it's up against. In airplane talk, we always refer to directions as up, down, inboard, and outboard.

89Trooper 5/18/06 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a quick shot in the garage. I only backed it out and back in to un-**** the front wheels.

Attachment 666

I still have one rotor to install (as can be seen on the floor).

I'm close to my marks on the floor, and without any settling of the springs at all the front dropped about 5/8", and the rears exactly 1". I'm sure they will drop more in the next week, so I'll post my before and after measurements then (and pics).

Camber is almost exactly like it was stock! I'll check it again after it lowers more, but it's at about -1 degree right now.

Bill... the nuts are on the studs now, so you can't see in a pic. With the nuts loose, stand on the side of the car and pull the center stud toward you (outboard) and tighten the nuts. The center stud should be closer to the fenderwell. This adds + camber. Not much, but it might be all we need. (With the billet caps, you can't tell the center stud is not centered, and any missing paint around the nuts is covered, too!)

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 05:31 PM

10 Attachment(s)
OK Bill these pictures are for you.
The window from the inside
Attachment 669
Anything you see is only reflection of my interior, you can't see any scoop period.

OK here are the backsides of the scoops.
Attachment 667Attachment 668

And recommended tape placement.
Attachment 671Attachment 670

D A M N They look HUGE in that picture, but they are not that big :)

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 05:38 PM

It's crystal now. :yup:

Never? Well then, let's go spend some more money! I'm supposed to get a stock option bonus next month, hmm... stripes? scoops?? both???

Just FYI when I was researching the Xenon scoops, AutoAccessory4U.com had them the cheapest. I purchased the scoops from them but through eBay using PayPal.

TacoBill 5/18/06 09:45 PM

10 Attachment(s)

Here is a quick shot in the garage.

Bill... the nuts are on the studs now, so you can't see in a pic.

Lookin' good, Tom! That Ultralite drop looks perfect on your vert. When the fronts settle a bit, it'll look all the more better. Good job.

Okay, I took some measurements off my center strut stud in relation to the hole opening so you can compare it to yours.

pics attached (5 total):
2 views only (see pic file name for description);
Driver's side, looking aft, 2" mark on scale lined up to hole opening, scale butted up against the threaded stud.

Same, but looking inboard.

(Passenger side pics on next post)

TacoBill 5/18/06 09:49 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Passenger side; same as above post.

5 pics total.
(3 pics looking aft, 2 pics looking inboard)

TacoBill 5/18/06 09:59 PM

Negative Camber

6 Attachment(s)
Negative camber is apparent, at least in my front passenger wheel.
(Can't verify my driver's side because of my Parking Mat)

End of straight edge is noticibly closer to the bottom section of the tire (even with the slight buldge) as compared to the top section.

As to what degree, I have no idea.

I have to take it to my front end guy just as soon as I find the motivation. :)

TacoBill 5/18/06 10:03 PM

Thanks for posting the pics, Daryl!

Yes, the scoops look huge when not up against the car.

Did the scoops come with the tape?

Are you going to apply the double side tape or the paint guys?

I like them. :nice:

TacoBill 5/18/06 10:17 PM

Just FYI when I was researching the Xenon scoops, AutoAccessory4U.com had them the cheapest. I purchased the scoops from them but through eBay using PayPal.

Thanks for the link.

I found this on ebay.
Price sounds comparable to AutoAccessory4U. If my painter charged me $130 for the CDC spoiler, wonder what it'll cost for 4 scoops?

OKCMustangGT 5/18/06 10:53 PM

Thanks for posting the pics, Daryl!

Yes, the scoops look huge when not up against the car.

Did the scoops come with the tape?

Are you going to apply the double side tape or the paint guys?

I like them. :nice:

Yes they came with tape, adhesion promoter and instructions.
Scott is going to install the 3M tape on the scoops leaving the backing strip on. Then I will get my alignments, mark the locations then remove the backing strip and apply.
That is pretty close to the same price, mine just didn't come in a 4pc set, but got a shipping discount as I bought both sets at the same time.

89Trooper 5/18/06 11:06 PM

Lookin' good, Tom! That Ultralite drop looks perfect on your vert. When the fronts settle a bit, it'll look all the more better. Good job.

Okay, I took some measurements off my center strut stud in relation to the hole opening so you can compare it to yours.

Thanks!

What I did for measurements was lay the metal ruler on edge against the exposed threads on the middle stud and measured to the edge of the circle (only for inboard and outboard). Forward and backward would be for caster, and the center stud is still very close to being centered that way.

Both sides measured the same when pulling the center stud outboard toward the fender. 15mm from the threads to the edge of the circle outboard, and 21mm from the threads to the edge of the circle inboard. Centered would be 18mm and 18mm, so I moved the center stud 3mm toward the fenderwell.

OK, trig time. The distance from the top of the strut assembly (where the nuts are) to the pivot point on the spindle is 28.5" (724mm). I moved the the center stud 3mm toward the fender. The angle is equal to the arctangent of 3 divided by 724, which is .25 degrees.

That .25 degrees might be just enough to bring camber back into specs without using camber bolts.

89Trooper 5/18/06 11:14 PM

5 in a row, Bill... way to rack up post numbers!

89Trooper 5/18/06 11:20 PM

I looked at them, too.

They're HUGE! J/K... can't wait to see them on the car!

OKCMustangGT 5/19/06 07:08 AM

I looked at them, too.

They're HUGE! J/K... can't wait to see them on the car!

Did you see my test fit?
Door Scoop
&
Window Scoop

TacoBill 5/19/06 08:27 AM

Did you see my test fit?
Door Scoop

Daryl- In your 'Hang Loose' pic, is the scoop positioned (up/down) correctly? I'm wondering if it's supposed to be where it is or is the top edge supposed to go up to the body line.

TacoBill 5/19/06 08:32 AM

That .25 degrees might be just enough to bring camber back into specs without using camber bolts.

That will work also if it's barely out of spec.

I was reading other forums about the cam bolts and all have said that they must be torqued and Loctited or there's a chance of them moving.

Maybe the same should apply to the top tower studs and nuts.

I really hope to avoid using the cam bolts.

OKCMustangGT 5/19/06 08:43 AM

Daryl- In your 'Hang Loose' pic, is the scoop positioned (up/down) correctly? I'm wondering if it's supposed to be where it is or is the top edge supposed to go up to the body line.

Yea it needs to come up a bit, but it was **** hard holding that thing, trying not to let it slide and trying to snap a pic. :)
Look at the bottom too, it is out over the ridge there and it wont be once taped in place.

TacoBill 5/19/06 10:19 AM

If and when I commit to the scoops and stripes, I'll have to remove all traces of Zaino from those areas. :crying:

That's going to be tough to do considering all the laborious time I spent laying down 4 coats. Guess maybe I should hold off polishing the CDC spoiler for now.

Daryl- When you get your BSM 12" kit, are you going to attempt the install yourself or take it to a graphics guy?

OKCMustangGT 5/19/06 10:59 AM

If and when I commit to the scoops and stripes, I'll have to remove all traces of Zaino from those areas. :crying:

Yes but after the install you can re-apply over the new stuff and no one will know the difference, plus it is a Labor of Love :)

Daryl- When you get your BSM 12" kit, are you going to attempt the install yourself or take it to a graphics guy?

The rocker panel decals were one thing, but the stripes are another. I think I will leave it up to the vinyl experts. :) Not enough confidence in myself and if I screw it up, I have to purchase a new set. If an installer screws it up, they get to buy me a new kit. lol

KdF 5/19/06 11:12 AM

Exactly!
Ordered my stripes last week , I`ll have a body-shop install `em.
I can`t draw a straight line , let alone install stripes.

http://www.spectrummarcom.com/mustan...pePainter.html

TacoBill 5/19/06 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by KdF
Exactly!
Ordered my stripes last week , I`ll have a body-shop install `em.

Mike- Did you get a quote for the installation?

TacoBill 5/19/06 11:56 AM

Yes but after the install you can re-apply over the new stuff and no one will know the difference, plus it is a Labor of Love :)

Yes, it'll be a labor of something!
In fact, I've seen a post from a while back where a guy Zaino'd his vinyl stripes and it really made it shine!

The rocker panel decals were one thing, but the stripes are another. I think I will leave it up to the vinyl experts. :) Not enough confidence in myself and if I screw it up, I have to purchase a new set. If an installer screws it up, they get to buy me a new kit. lol

I'm thinking the same. I would like to find a mobile guy that'll come and install it in my garage. One quote I did receive was for $500, but that included the stripes.

KdF 5/19/06 12:34 PM

No , not yet , but my son knows an old friend who is into top quality bodywork , and he`s going to see how much he`ll charge.

Pity , I used to know everyone in muscle cars 30 years ago....there all gone or passed on.

OKCMustangGT 5/19/06 01:41 PM

Yes, it'll be a labor of something!
In fact, I've seen a post from a while back where a guy Zaino'd his vinyl stripes and it really made it shine!

Definately Zaino them,(I Zaino my GT300 Stripes) but go length wise not width, or so I hear. :)

I'm thinking the same. I would like to find a mobile guy that'll come and install it in my garage. One quote I did receive was for $500, but that included the stripes.

The lady (Francis) that Scott & Steve recommend is mobile and will do them on site.
Haven't gotten in contact with her yet, so I haven't ordered the stripes.
$500 sounds a little high to me. $150-$200 for the stripes and the other $300-$350 is labor :eek:
I was thinking about $100-$150 for labor. I'll let you know what I find out when I get in contact with her.

TacoBill 5/19/06 01:51 PM

$500 sounds a little high to me. $150-$200 for the stripes and the other $300-$350 is labor :eek:
I was thinking about $100-$150 for labor...

Don't forget, I'm in Southern California. We're all supposed to be rich here! :jester:

Man, if I found a guy that only charged $100-150 labor, they would've been on 2 months ago.

I've also been quoted $650 plus tax. How's that grab ya? http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...imatedCrap.gif

OKCMustangGT 5/19/06 02:23 PM

Don't forget, I'm in Southern California. We're all supposed to be rich here! :jester:

Man, if I found a guy that only charged $100-150 labor, they would've been on 2 months ago.

I've also been quoted $650 plus tax. How's that grab ya? http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...imatedCrap.gif

:eek: I can screw them up 4 times for that price. :eek:
I may be wishful thinking on $150 labor but it's my dream I can think what I want :)

89Trooper 5/19/06 03:01 PM

That will work also if it's barely out of spec.

I was reading other forums about the cam bolts and all have said that they must be torqued and Loctited or there's a chance of them moving.

Maybe the same should apply to the top tower studs and nuts.

I really hope to avoid using the cam bolts.

People worry too much.

With those bolts torqued to 146 lb-ft, do you think they are going to rotate? No way...

The same would apply to the top tower stud nuts. They are torqued to 26 lb-ft each, so that equals 104 lb-ft holding that strut assembly into place. When I get everything where I want it, I'll remove 2 of the nuts on each side and loc-tite them. Then I'll remove the other 2 on each side and loc-tite them.

TacoBill 5/19/06 03:21 PM

People worry too much.

With those bolts torqued to 146 lb-ft, do you think they are going to rotate? No way...

Actually, the cam bolts get torqued to 80 lbs-ft.
Reference: EZ CAM XR 81260 (type in 81260 as the part number)

But still, they should not come loose from everyday driving.

Just goes to show you the load difference between a 14mm shank bolt and a 12mm cam/shank bolt.

89Trooper 5/19/06 03:36 PM

Actually, the cam bolts get torqued to 80 lbs-ft.
Reference: EZ CAM XR 81260 (type in 81260 as the part number)

That's right, I did read that before. I even saw somplace else that said to torque both upper and lower bolts to 80 lb-ft. But, I would torque the new cam bolt to 80 and the lower stock bolt to 146. Then you can put a torque stripe across the head of the bolt to check it later if you want to make sure it doesn't move.

89Trooper 5/19/06 04:02 PM

Looks like it's a race to Mach 1 Member for me and Daryl...

TacoBill 5/19/06 04:33 PM

... I would torque the new cam bolt to 80 and the lower stock bolt to 146. Then you can put a torque stripe across the head of the bolt to check it later if you want to make sure it doesn't move.

I agree with both statements.

Mach 1 Member? Rookies... :jester:

I think you have a shot at being first, I think Daryl took off for the weekend (hopefully with is Z-6 in hand).

89Trooper 5/19/06 06:50 PM

If he's like me, he'll find a computer. And only 4 to go for me.

I did nothing on the car today.

Did I say this yet: I'll wait 1 week, then post all my measurements before and after lowering.

TacoBill 5/19/06 07:40 PM

I did nothing on the car today.

Did I say this yet: I'll wait 1 week, then post all my measurements before and after lowering.

I didn't do anything either.

Yup, you said you'd wait a week to see if the springs settle any.

Did you break in the new rotors yet? Getting more brake dust than usual?

Also, how's the ride quality? Pretty close to my description? Or was I way off?

And finally, is this enough questions for you? :)

89Trooper 5/19/06 07:55 PM

Yup, you said you'd wait a week to see if the springs settle any.
Thought I might have. That's when I'll post pics, too.

Did you break in the new rotors yet? Getting more brake dust than usual?
Believe it or not, I haven't driven it yet. Finished late last night and I was gone all day today.

Also, how's the ride quality? Pretty close to my description? Or was I way off?
See above.

And finally, is this enough questions for you? :)
Anything to get me 4 more posts. I mean, 3.

TacoBill 5/19/06 08:56 PM

Tom-
You mentioned that you were going to drive the vert to work this week?

So what's next on the list for you?

(3 more)

OKCMustangGT 5/19/06 08:56 PM

If he's like me, he'll find a computer. .

I found one but not much to say, so I will give you my first road trip stats.
I reset everything on the computer before we left my son's daycare.
We drove from OKC to Wichita KS, forgot total miles but was 170+
TIME = 2:22:33
AVG SPEED = 71 MPH
AVG MPG = 24.5
I ran 80+ with A/C on the entire trip
This car on smooth roads rides like a Cadillac, only noise was Flows and the radio. The Flows were by no means loud but a steady hmmmmmmm.
LOVED IT

PS No race Tom will win hands down to Mach 1

TacoBill 5/19/06 08:59 PM

I found one but not much to say, so I will give you my first road trip stats.

So did you spiff her up after the road trip for all your family to drool over? :drool:
You know where I'm getting at don't you? (Hehehe!)

OKCMustangGT 5/19/06 09:06 PM

So did you spiff her up after the road trip for all your family to drool over? :drool:
You know where I'm getting at don't you? (Hehehe!)

Z6 and towels in the trunk. We are only half way there staying here tonight and heading out tomorrow AM.
Car windshield only dirty thing rest of car still looks awsome :)

TacoBill 5/19/06 09:12 PM

Z6 and towels in the trunk. :)

Good Man! :nice:

It'll go 2 ways, one, your family will think you go the extra mile to keep her super clean :yup: or two, they'll think you lost it! :screwy:

OKCMustangGT 5/19/06 09:21 PM

Good Man! :nice:

It'll go 2 ways, one, your family will think you go the extra mile to keep her super clean :yup: or two, they'll think you lost it! :screwy:

Uhh definitely # 2 LOL

TacoBill 5/19/06 09:29 PM

Uhh definitely # 2 LOL

#2 for sure if you walk behind whomever you're showing with the Z-6 and towel in hand just incase they put their paws where they're not supposed to. :nonono:

I have a feeling you'll be playing 'Mr. Ford Salesman' as you'll be sure to get asked alot of questions about the car (What year is this?, Did it come with those stripes?, How many HP does it have, yada-yada-yada...). But, it feels good! :banana:

swwake 5/19/06 09:36 PM

I can't keep up! I can't keep up!

Ok, so from what I get, Tom's going for Mach 1 in 3 posts. :wave2:Hi Tom! Waving at you here so you'll wave back and get another post!

I have still been so busy I am so sorry to neglect you guys. I am hoping to slow it down a notch or two in the next couple of weeks. I have taken 6 days total off around Memorial day. I have to work this weekend at least one day, but I sure would love to wash and Zaino that car this weekend.

I am so upset - I have a rock chip in my hood. I know exactly when I got it but I don't understand how. There were cars around, and a truck in the right lane on the highway, but it seems odd that he would have thrown that rock at my car from that angle. I was on my way home from the airport last Friday. I heard the rock (pebble about the size of a dime) hit my hood, then felt it bounce into the back of my shirt. I wriggled it out and saved it in my cupholder. I think Katie took it as trash and threw it out. It wasn't until a couple of days later that I noticed the chip.

I think whenever we take the car for that warranty work on the paint, I'll just pay them to touch it up and buff it out. I am so sad though :(

Met another GT Vert owner the other day while walking my dog. They just got a black on black with charcoal and dark IUP. That is going to be one hot sucker this summer! We stopped by tonight to introduce them to Chris. A right nice family, but not quite the same passion for the car as we have. They just have a little different take on life :dunno:

More about that later. I am finally looking at having my windows tinted. It may happen tomorrow, but more likely one Saturday in the next couple of weeks. These folks at the recommended tint shop said to bring the car in tomorrow at 9am and they'd have it ready by end of the day. But no questions about what kind of car, what tint, etc. I would hate to get there and them not have the soft strip (or velcro). I just want to make sure I'm comfortable with them before turning over my baby to them.

Next up - exhaust. Chris did more research on those Ronaele side exhausts, but I keep saying I want to go with the rolled-tip rear exhaust like you guys have.

Hope y'all are all doing ok, having fun and having a great evening. Where's Daryl headed?

TacoBill 5/19/06 09:49 PM

Susan's back (again)! Hooray! :banana:

So sorry to hear about that pebble chip! :( I feel the pain with ya, Sis!

Yeah, make sure your window tinter is aware that these new Mustangs REQUIRE a felt strip be installed to prevent the tint from scratching. If they've never heard of it, RUN!

Daryl is headed off to a family function. After numerous posts, I finally convinced him to bring along the Z-6 to spritz her up before presenting the GT to his family and friends.

Drop in more often, we need the voice of sensibility.

swwake 5/19/06 09:57 PM

Drop in more often, we need the voice of sensibility.

I don't want to just drop in. I want to be every-day active like I used to be. I will get there. I know I will. I haven't been getting the reply notifications again, because I think I dropped the last one in my "to do" mailbox and haven't ever clicked through. Please forgive me.

I would like to see different stripe options for my car - especially some type of ghost stripe. Any ideas of where I might find pics?

TacoBill 5/19/06 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by swwake
I don't want to just drop in. I want to be every-day active like I used to be. I will get there. I know I will. I haven't been getting the reply notifications again, because I think I dropped the last one in my "to do" mailbox and haven't ever clicked through. Please forgive me.

I would like to see different stripe options for my car - especially some type of ghost stripe. Any ideas of where I might find pics?

Nothing to be sorry about... it's cool! :)

Ever since the forum changeover, it's been through some e-mail notification changes. Since you posted now, you should be receiving notifications to this thread. But, go into your User CP to make sure you have this thread subscription.

Ghost stripes are pretty cool, but you'll have to repaint the whole hood, bumpers, and decklid. I think I'm going the vinyl route.

swwake 5/19/06 10:28 PM

Bill, I copied elements of your signature - hope you don't mind. :)

89Trooper 5/19/06 10:46 PM

Well, Bill copied them from me so, no, I don't mind.

Not the same without the pictures directly linked, though... :)

89Trooper 5/19/06 11:55 PM

I typed a reply saying "Hi", Susan... but I must have lost it somehow before posting. 1 to go!

89Trooper 5/20/06 08:15 AM

OK... I'll cheat... 500!

swwake 5/20/06 08:24 AM

Congratulations Tom!

TacoBill 5/20/06 08:29 AM

Yeah, congrats, Tom! :banana:

Boy, you two are up early! (guess me too..)

89Trooper 5/21/06 01:11 PM

Nobody around?

Well, I helped my neighbor this morning change the springs on his Impala. After 3 hours, we just got the front back together.
The 05+ setup makes it so easy to change springs (unless you have a convertible, of course :shakehead: ).