Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
11.11%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/13, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Its not for looks at all, its to keep the front end from getting destroyed. I think it looks alright on this particular car, but I'd rather not have to use it. Its not something that's going to be on it all the time, just times like now when the bugs are horrendous and their guts eat into the paint. Or if I want to drive it on a day trip to a show or something, the roads here are terrible with rocks and **** getting slung up, not to mention all the limbs and **** that fall off of log trucks that you can't avoid.

People say "Just get a clear bra". Well, I don't have enough faith in that. That clear **** shows up white specks with every little ding in it, especially on black. How is that clear bra going to look in 5, 6, 7 years? Going to turn yellow? What do I do then when its beat to hell? Take it off? What is going to happen when I take it off? Is this ****ty paint they put on cars going to come off with it and have to paint the whole front end (if it will even match with the fading)? I know damned good and well the stripes are going to come off with it, which means a complete new stripe kit, plus the cost of another clear bra. I can put this one on at the times of the year I need it, and take it off when I don't.
I guess you just don't care what I think, but everyone else.....:usuck:
Old 5/3/13, 09:26 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Its not for looks at all, its to keep the front end from getting destroyed. I think it looks alright on this particular car, but I'd rather not have to use it. Its not something that's going to be on it all the time, just times like now when the bugs are horrendous and their guts eat into the paint. Or if I want to drive it on a day trip to a show or something, the roads here are terrible with rocks and **** getting slung up, not to mention all the limbs and **** that fall off of log trucks that you can't avoid.

People say "Just get a clear bra". Well, I don't have enough faith in that. That clear **** shows up white specks with every little ding in it, especially on black. How is that clear bra going to look in 5, 6, 7 years? Going to turn yellow? What do I do then when its beat to hell? Take it off? What is going to happen when I take it off? Is this ****ty paint they put on cars going to come off with it and have to paint the whole front end (if it will even match with the fading)? I know damned good and well the stripes are going to come off with it, which means a complete new stripe kit, plus the cost of another clear bra. I can put this one on at the times of the year I need it, and take it off when I don't.
I feel your pain. The black car has stone chips in the paint. They do show p as little white dots. Drives me nuts. Yet I don't get them on the Raptor or Navigator. Only on the one I really don't want them on. And thats with only 16,000 miles in almost 6 years.

I won't have a clear bra. I don't trust it either.
Old 5/3/13, 09:29 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm sure neither of yours looks anywhere near as bad as mine. Salt and sand blasted.
Old 5/3/13, 09:31 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
as far as car bras go, that one is not too bad
Old 5/3/13, 09:31 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I won't have a clear bra. I don't trust it either.
I've got 5 yrs and 20k (miles that is) that says you're wrong.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/3/13 at 09:36 PM.
Old 5/3/13, 09:33 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I've got 5 yrs and 20k that says you're wrong.
Let's talk in 15 more years.
Old 5/3/13, 09:34 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by edumspeed

Lee's got a bra
Man *****.
Old 5/3/13, 09:35 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Let's talk in 15 more years.
lol - well you're already waaay behind with all those chips vs ZEROOOOO!
Old 5/3/13, 09:36 PM

I need to get mine repainted and then I'll probably get a clear one.
Old 5/3/13, 09:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
as far as car bras go, that one is not too bad
^agree. Looks very well done.
Old 5/3/13, 09:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I need to get mine repainted and then I'll probably get a clear one.
Mine has barely been driven since repainted the front end and it already has chips
Old 5/3/13, 09:48 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I guess you just don't care what I think, but everyone else.....:usuck:
You would be correct.

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I'm sure neither of yours looks anywhere near as bad as mine. Salt and sand blasted.
Get a bra.

I've got 5 yrs and 20k (miles that is) that says you're wrong.

lol - well you're already waaay behind with all those chips vs ZEROOOOO!
Are you saying it doesn't show marks where **** has hit it? I've seen a couple around here that looked terrible from rocks and such. They stand out like a sore thumb, not to mention the transition from it to the paint.

Peel it off and let me know what happens to the paint under it. I'm actually really curious. If I could see what happens when you have to replace one when its beat to hell and the paint underneath isn't affected I might get one. But I know for a fact that my stripes will come off and the whole top will have to be re-striped (at least $1500 from what I've heard.)

I'd rather take 10 minutes to put this on to drive it a few times a year when its really needed. But that's just me.
Old 5/3/13, 09:58 PM
Post *****

Are you saying it doesn't show marks where **** has hit it? I've seen a couple around here that looked terrible from rocks and such. They stand out like a sore thumb, not to mention the transition from it to the paint.

Peel it off and let me know what happens to the paint under it. I'm actually really curious. If I could see what happens when you have to replace one when its beat to hell and the paint underneath isn't affected I might get one. But I know for a fact that my stripes will come off and the whole top will have to be re-striped (at least $1500 from what I've heard.)
Not a mark - from either cinders or flying rocks or fresh chip seal, nor the gawd awful layers of midge bugs from driving along the lake.

Why would I peel it off? It works and from 6 or 10' away you can't even see the demarcation line. And I'd rather see the edge than rock chips. I mean hell, are you saying you can't see the bra's line? Wait till that wind break flaps against your hood paint for a few years.

I'd rather take 10 minutes to put this on to drive it a few times a year when its really needed. But that's just me.
I'm not knocking your choice. I've had two of them.
Its not so easy peeling them off at midnight after town - particularly if they're wet and have road grime on them. And if the cotton lining is damp (humid, mist, rain soaked roads) it WILL cloud your paint if you don't remove it immediately. Clouded two different cars just because I waited till morning to take it off a few times. Still pisses me off.
I realize you don't drive in the rain but t-storms can come up quickly where you live, and as far as humidity... so be forewarned.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/3/13 at 10:04 PM.
Old 5/3/13, 10:06 PM

You would be correct.

Get a bra.

I think it depends a lot on the quality. Could have just been cheap ebay kits.
Old 5/3/13, 10:20 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Not a mark - from either cinders or flying rocks or fresh chip seal, nor the gawd awful layers of midge bugs from driving along the lake.

Why would I peel it off? It works and from 6 or 10' away you can't even see the demarcation line. And I'd rather see the edge than rock chips. I mean hell, are you saying you can't see the bra's line? Wait till that wind break flaps against your hood paint for a few years.

I'm not knocking your choice. I've had two of them.
Its not so easy peeling them off at midnight after town - particularly if they're wet and have road grime on them. And if the cotton lining is damp (humid, mist, rain soaked roads) it WILL cloud your paint if you don't remove it immediately. Clouded two different cars just because I waited till morning to take it off a few times. Still pisses me off.
I realize you don't drive in the rain but t-storms can come up quickly where you live, and as far as humidity... so be forewarned.
I've used them on multiple Mustangs through the years and they have never ****ed up my paint or had any problems with them. But the ones I've used have all been high quality bras, and I never left them on for extended periods. I only use them as a precautions at times I know things will be bad. And I don't have to worry about wind flapping, you get a high quality bra and it's tight as a nun's *****. Plus, I might not even use the hood piece, most of the damage I get on this car is on the bumper and lower areas. The hood and top of the grill doesn't even get many bugs.

And yours must be a hell of a lot better than the ones I've seen. I can spot the transition from clear bra to paint a mile a way on the ones I've encountered at shows and such. I can put that bra on in 10 minutes, drive 100 miles on the interstate to a show, pull it off in 5 and throw it in the trunk and never know it was there. Done it many times on many cars I've had in the past.

It mainly boils down to what I've seen first hand. The ones I've seen on cars around here are beat to **** and show every little mark (white specs and rough to the touch) where rocks and such have hit them after 20K miles. Might not be that bad on a light colored car, but on black its brutal. Not to mention what I said before about what is going to happen to the paint when it gets so bad that it has to be replaced.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 5/3/13 at 10:28 PM.
Old 5/3/13, 10:31 PM
Post *****

But the ones I've used have all been high quality bras, and I never left them on for extended periods. I only use them as a precautions at times I know things will be bad.
Mine were high quality, on daily drivers. And in my climate, using them occasionally was not an option for fall, winter, spring. So its take it off at night - after you've been fighting sleep for 30 mins to get home, then put it on in the morning. Or not use it in the wet months and get the rock chips anyway - cause those are the months they lay down cinders for ice and snow. They are not well thought out/designed for climates with 4 seasons.

And yours must be a hell of a lot better than the ones I've seen. I can spot the transition from clear bra to paint a mile a way on the ones I've encountered at shows and such.
3M. First time I heard of it or tried it. But I knew I wasn't going to try a bra for a 3rd time based on my experience and my weather. The 5 yr warranty just expired so we'll see. But $100/yr for protection applied by a pro was well worth it to me. Way cheaper than repainting cloudy paint from the bra or from rock chips.
As far as seeing it that always cracks me up when people say that. Like you can't see that black mask stuck on the front end? rofl

It mainly boils down to what I've seen first hand. The ones I've seen on cars around here are beat to **** and show every little mark (white specs and rough to the touch) where rocks and such have hit them after 20K miles. Might not be that bad on a light colored car, but on black its brutal. Not to mention what I said before about what is going to happen to the paint when it gets so bad that it has to be replaced.
Maybe the one's you've seen are still racing on gravel roads haulin shine.
Granted I don't drive in the winter when cinders are down, but I've certainly been hit by flying rocks and fresh gravel. And the midge bugs take paint right off - most the cars around here are messed up from them. You should see my F150.
Now as far as the portion on the bottom of the rockers, I can feel they're rough. That's why I put it there so I could pull and reapply if I wanted, but they're out of sight and the original paint is still protected. Straight portions are easy to apply myself. Its the curved portions where you have to stretch it that were tough for me to apply myself (my Cruiser has a few puckers around the headlights but since its a Cruiser I don't care.)
I'm not knocking yours, they just are a waste of money for my application.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/3/13 at 10:38 PM.
Old 5/3/13, 10:45 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

3M. First time I heard of it or tried it. But I knew I wasn't going to try a bra for a 3rd time based on my experience and my weather. The 5 yr warranty just expired so we'll see. But $100/yr for protection applied by a pro was well worth it to me. Way cheaper than repainting cloudy paint from the bra or from rock chips.
As far as seeing it that always cracks me up when people say that. Like you can't see that black mask stuck on the front end? rofl
Never had cloudy paint or scuffs, been using them for 20 years. And as far as seeing it, yes, I can see the bra on there. And It has looked pretty good on quite a few cars I've had. Not to mention, I can make it disappear completely in 5 minutes, can you?

As far as the rockers, only part on the 3 S-197 cars I've had to get beat up is the lower part, and I've got a spare set of those in the garage. They're cheap (up until 13' at least when they are painted).
Old 5/3/13, 10:56 PM
Post *****

I can make it disappear completely in 5 minutes, can you?
Quicker. Just step a little farther back.

I've never had a negative comment about it. People don't see it till up close and then some ask. And I explain it's the new high tech 3M clear mask that protects the paint 24/7 instead of those "old bra's" (on my J-H/Lotus it HAD to be called a "mask" for the "bonnet". )
And they go...

Old 5/3/13, 11:09 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Quicker. Just step a little farther back.

I've never had a negative comment about it. People don't see it till up close and then some ask. And I explain it's the new high tech 3M clear mask that protects the paint 24/7 instead of those "old bra's" (on my J-H/Lotus it HAD to be called a "mask" for the "bonnet". )
And they go...

I'm just poking at you man, because there's nothing else going on around here lately. Just trying to stir up some kind of conversation. Everyone has their preferences. Hell, I'm about ready to leave, nobody to talk to. Been wondering if I've done something to **** everybody off, nobody responds to anything I post anymore. Just wish they would be honest and tell me like it is. Guess I need to take a break from here.
Old 5/3/13, 11:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just poking at you man, because there's nothing else going on around here lately. Just trying to stir up some kind of conversation. Everyone has their preferences. Hell, I'm about ready to leave, nobody to talk to. Been wondering if I've done something to **** everybody off, nobody responds to anything I post anymore. Just wish they would be honest and tell me like it is. Guess I need to take a break from here.
Yes, your a bastard... **** you

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast