General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

How long to convertible tops last?

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/06, 11:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long to convertible tops last?

I was wondeirng, if taken care of well, how long can one expect to have a convertible top last. Both the Vinyl and the motor.

I end up usually having to put mine up and down 2x a day, but that's only in the summer and obviously in the winter in CO I wont have it down much.

The reason I ask is I've been contemplating selling the car to get something cheaper, and I want to see if I will be having many troubles/costs with the top.
Old 6/11/06, 08:39 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeffs05GT
I was wondeirng, if taken care of well, how long can one expect to have a convertible top last. Both the Vinyl and the motor.

I end up usually having to put mine up and down 2x a day, but that's only in the summer and obviously in the winter in CO I wont have it down much.

The reason I ask is I've been contemplating selling the car to get something cheaper, and I want to see if I will be having many troubles/costs with the top.
Alot depends on if you are parking this car in the element all day with no cover.. If so,they start looking pretty bad at about 6 years or sooner.This has been my experience in the past.I'm sure someone else will have a different story though.
Old 6/11/06, 08:48 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moved this to general mustang chat since members with older mustangs can give you an idea on how long the tops will last.
Old 6/11/06, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Alot depends on if you are parking this car in the element all day with no cover.. If so,they start looking pretty bad at about 6 years or sooner.This has been my experience in the past.I'm sure someone else will have a different story though.
It's garaged, the one thing that concerns me is we live in the country so it gets dusty very quickly and cannot always be kept clean.

I've read that over time small dust/dirt particles will start tearing the vinyl.
Old 6/11/06, 08:46 PM
GTR Member

It's garaged, the one thing that concerns me is we live in the country so it gets dusty very quickly and cannot always be kept clean.

I've read that over time small dust/dirt particles will start tearing the vinyl.
get a dust cover.For a hundred or so bucks,you cant go wrong
Old 6/11/06, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
get a dust cover.For a hundred or so bucks,you cant go wrong
Ermm, im talking I drive down a dirt road, I would put scratches on the paint just putting the cover on and off. I drive down the road very slow, less then 10mph, but there's still dust on there unless there is no breeze at all. Still wouldn't keep it off the top either.

I suppose 3 days are so I could use some meguiars #40 with a rag to get off excess dust and stuff.
Old 6/11/06, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

How long could one expect a motor to last?
Old 6/11/06, 09:42 PM
GTR Member

Ermm, im talking I drive down a dirt road, I would put scratches on the paint just putting the cover on and off. I drive down the road very slow, less then 10mph, but there's still dust on there unless there is no breeze at all. Still wouldn't keep it off the top either.

I suppose 3 days are so I could use some meguiars #40 with a rag to get off excess dust and stuff.
Use a CAlifornia Duster first!! Mine works awesome.As long as it is a light dust.Do it gently.I cover mine almost every day at work.I have gone 2 weeks w/out washing my car and it looked like I just washed it.If it rains,thats another story... also,you could use a leaF BLOWER FIRST.iF THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY!!