General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Help me pick between pre/post 2015

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/19, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me pick between pre/post 2015

Ok so this may seem like a premature post but I am looking to buy a Mustang in a few months and I like to do to much research before actually coming to a decision.
So I know there are 3 groups by year. 05-09, 10-14, and 15 -current. I personally like all three models look wise. But just to be semi update I am narrowing my choice to 2010-current.
And as far as which model, I want at least a GT in whichever year I get. Also because my wife will also be using this car it will need to be Automatic.
Price is a big factor. I can get the 10-14 GT starting around 17k. As opposed to the 15-current GT starting at 25k. Here is where I am slightly torn. I do to a very minor degree prefer the looks of the 2010-2014s. And to a much higher degree
like them being around 5k cheaper. But the one thing is I really like paddle shifters on automatics and have wanted them for awhile. And if I can't get the manual I would really prefer an auto with paddle shifters. Sadly this did not come out on the mustang until the 2015 model year. I am aware that there is mods to cut the wheel apart and add them in, but I don't think I want to do that to a car I just bought. So I guess what I am looking for is info for me to justify the 5k at least addition of buying the new model besides just the Paddle shifters. Is there anything changed between the two to justify me spending the extra cash?

And just a side note. I really don't want to step down to the V6 or the Ecoboost. This car will not be my daily driver.
Old 7/24/19, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
One of the most significant changes was from the solid rear axle in 2014 and before to independent rear suspension in 2015 and later.
Old 7/25/19, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by tukatz
One of the most significant changes was from the solid rear axle in 2014 and before to independent rear suspension in 2015 and later.
Yea that is one thing I did read about. I read that a lot of people actually were upset about it going to independent rear suspension because it makes it less of a muscle car. I am not sure the suspension would bother me either way. At this point I seem to be leaning towards the 2014 and earlier models.
Old 7/25/19, 02:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I loved my 06 LL GT until recently when I picked up an 18. 12 years and 112k miles of problem free driving for the most part. The 05-09 had some cool somewhat retro car styling. If I didn't need the cash for the new one I would have kept it. Still some good low mileage examples out there priced pretty reasonably. I would skip the 10 - 15 model years and go 16 or newer if that is in the budget.
Old 7/29/19, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I loved my 06 LL GT until recently when I picked up an 18. 12 years and 112k miles of problem free driving for the most part. The 05-09 had some cool somewhat retro car styling. If I didn't need the cash for the new one I would have kept it. Still some good low mileage examples out there priced pretty reasonably. I would skip the 10 - 15 model years and go 16 or newer if that is in the budget.

Just curious, why would you skip the 10-15 model years? The only advantage I see is the paddle shifters on the auto and the independent rear suspension. Besides that I do prefer the look of the 2010-14 and they are lighter as well. And then the biggest part is from what I am seeing to go from a 2014 to a 2015 is at a minimum about a $7500 dollar difference between the GT models of each year.
Old 7/29/19, 11:14 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I have a '14 GT manual that I bought new shortly before the new S550's came out. I am completely satisfied with it, but I am also an old guy that dosen't want or need all the newest bells and whistles. It's not my daily driver, but I still use it a lot, just turned 55,000 miles and it's been trouble free. Since the '15 and up cars were a whole new design [ the engine is simply an upgraded carry over & the transmissions are the same] Ford and it's dealers were eager to unload the remaining '14's at pretty good prices. Price and not wanting to be an unpaid guinea pig led me to choose the '14. You indicated that this car won't be a daily driver, so just how do you plan to use it? The S550's do ride and handle better than the SN197 cars. There are plenty of aftermarket parts to upgrade the handling of either series, but the S550 will always have the edge given equal changes. No idea how long you plan to keep the car, but it is worth remembering that the more complicated the cars suspension, the more parts [ bushings, ball joints, linkages ] the more things there are to wear out and need replacing [ $sss ]. Of course an older car may also be in greater need of repair. The SN197's tend to average 150 lbs lighter with similar options. The S550's generally have somewhat nicer interiors, but they really are similar. The 197's MAY have slightly more back seat room, but seriously I don't think anyone ever bought a Mustang because the back seat was all that important. If it is, get a Challenger. The back seat in a Challenger isn't all that great, but it is almost usable for normal sized adults. I think the 197's do have slightly more trunk space than the S550's, but probably not enough to make much difference. My girlfriend and I have taken several road trips in my car and we have had plenty of room for two normal size adults and a fair amount of luggage. Another thing to consider is insurance. Generally replacement cost is greater on a newer car and the premiums usually reflect that. I think you'll be happy which ever you choose so long as you have realistic expectations.
Old 8/3/19, 03:15 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,079 Likes on 675 Posts
Paddle shifters get 'ho-hum' after awhile IMO. Fun at the beginning but I rarely touch them now in my C6. The 5 speed in my '07 GT/CS is a blast in comparison. Teach your better half to drive a stick. She may like it and problem solved. I taught my wife to drive a stick when we first got married back in the 70's. It enabled her to drive our first ever new car, a 4 speed '82 Mustang GT. She also has driven an old air cooled 911 and of course our current GT/CS. You never forget.
Old 8/4/19, 04:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just keep in mind that the Coyote 5.0 arrived in 2011. I wouldn't worry about paddle sifters or IRS. Try to find a good deal on a clean GT and drive! Good luck!
Old 8/5/19, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by JCCNY
Just keep in mind that the Coyote 5.0 arrived in 2011. I wouldn't worry about paddle sifters or IRS. Try to find a good deal on a clean GT and drive! Good luck!
Yea I have been trying to read about all the changes year to year. So will get at least a 2011 for the Coyote and preferably the 2013 or higher for the gauge cluster change.
Old 8/6/19, 11:25 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,152 Likes on 825 Posts
I too love my 2014. It is a 401a interior and Track Pack car with the glass roof. Love the glass top option. Car is just under 20k miles and going great. Only issues have been a problem with the key in ignition chime going off when no key. Replaced under warranty and our infamous air bag recall. Pretty uneventful in the trouble area other wise. Love the add-ons that I have put on the car. And the Roush Stage 2 upgrade is fantastic for looks and handling.

Check out Tindols for a coming soon (if it even makes it to the lot) GHIG 2013 Roush Stage 3. Forum member Stage_3 swapped out a perfectly good driveway queen for a new ride. This one would be like buying new at a great discount.

Good luck in your quest, but IMHO the 13/14 are what you should be looking at. Cost has dropped quite a bit, but low mileage babied cars are out there.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 8/6/19 at 11:32 PM.
Old 8/7/19, 06:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by shortyg83
Yea that is one thing I did read about. I read that a lot of people actually were upset about it going to independent rear suspension because it makes it less of a muscle car. I am not sure the suspension would bother me either way. At this point I seem to be leaning towards the 2014 and earlier models.
I didn't want to wait for the '15 so bought my '14 V6 Premium automatic convertible. I have run autocross with it using the shifter button on the side of the shift handle and it worked just fine. I have about 55K miles on it now and it has been great.
Old 8/7/19, 02:45 PM

I have both a 2014 GT Premium Sterling Grey and a 2015 GT Premium Ruby Red. Ride, comfort, and a little extra power makes me like the 2015 a significant amount more than a 2014. I am a bigger guy. 6'2" 290lbs and I fit better in the 2015. As far as looks, the 2014 front end is my favorite by far. But I like the rear end look of the 2015 a little more. If you plan to get the car tuned and get a Transmission tune you will probably rarely ever use the paddle shifters. My 2014 is an Auto because that is what the wife wanted. My 2015 is a manual because I enjoy having clutch and gearing control over the car. I am actually in the process of trading in the 2014, for my wife, and getting her a 2015-2017. You should teach your wife to drive a standard. They are really easy to drive in the 15+ because of features like Hill Assist and on flat ground you can pretty much slowly let out on the clutch and it will take off on its own. My wife is even considering a manual for the fun of driving. As far as driving, the 2015 with the independent rear suspension, is a much more comfortable ride. And I mean MUCH more. It is one of my favorite upgrades from the 14 to the 15. Unless you are going to mod the hell out of the car and put on a power adder(turbo/supercharger) on the car the IRS will perform very well. If you are going for 650+ HP then you will have to do some upgrades to the rear IRS. If you are just gonna keep it stock or do bolt-ons and a tune the 2015+ will be a much sweeter ride in my opinion. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 8/27/19, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We purchased the 2013 RS because of the body style and sure the newer models have some more features. If you are going to spend the extra money to get a newer model that only has 1 or 2 small things that were changed, then I would say save the money on that and use it for the modifications you would truly want after finding the right car. Good Luck. It took us probably 6 months of shopping before we bought the one we did.
Old 9/1/19, 11:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had my 05 GT and I can tell you the 2017 GTPP is light years ahead of the 05 in quality and performance. The engine has 100 more hp and the independent rear suspension helps keep the car from wash boarding in the rear. No squeaks or rattles like my 05 was plagued with and the hvac system works much better. The only thing I don't like is the leather seat bottom bolsters are too high. They should have left them a bit shorter, like the SHO and just used the Recaro seat option as the high bolster seats. I would prefer a performance car with luxury seat option. I also added a Blowfish shifter bracket to get rid of the sloppy manual shifter feel.
Old 9/10/19, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I enjoyed 5 glorious years in a 14 GT Track Pack with Recaro seats and a 6 speed manual. What a car. I miss it every day. I turned mine into a road course weapon and it was lethal to many, many more expensive cars.

The motor is the jewel. It’s hard not to enjoy a Coyote. I sold it last year with 38k on the clock, something like 15 track days and no issues outside of wheel bearings which were replaced under warranty.

I ran to the dealer to put in my order for the 14 as soon as I saw the pictures of 15 Mustangs. I am not a fan of the newer design. Too European. Says me.... Who now lives in Germany and drives a 17 BMW M2. Life is not without a sense of irony.

If if you Don’t have a preference for looks you can’t go wrong with 11+. They are fantastic thrill machines. And I wouldn’t worry about lack of IRS. Unless you take bumpy corners at speed it doesn’t make that much of a difference. Nothing a $100 panhard bar can’t fix.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 9/10/19 at 11:01 AM.