General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Going fast, a performance comparo.

Old 5/12/13, 04:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going fast, a performance comparo.

Let me just put this disclaimer out there for the mods so the thread doesn't get locked..

"I don't in any way condone the discussion or act of racing on the street on public roads and the below account of what happened last week was within the speed limits of where I live in Germany. Either you can stay within the rules for the forum or just DONT comment. Thanks"

So on Friday I had to attend a work event that was about 40 minutes or so away. Since I'm in Germany navigation is always sketchy when trying to find an address. MapQuest and print the directions out or write them down is usually your best bet. Well I had to go in to work to see if I could get a better address but couldn't so I printed out the directions and headed for the door. When I got out to the car there was a guy that works with me that has a very nice, and fast, Subaru WRX STi that was about to leave for the event as well.

He's pushing I think just over 500 AWD HP on his race tune and 110. He has a fully build race engine from COBB racing and a dyno tune done by them as well. He also has suspension done to his car and sticky tires on aftermarket wheels.

Okay, back to the story. He was going to the same place and had some minions with him in his car. I was giving a ride to one of my own minions to the event as well and was starting to rethink my decision as he was talking from the time the door shut until he was too scared to talk. I have ridden in my buddy's car and I know how fast it is but being it's a turbo car there is tons of lag at that level of performance. We got on the road and were on our way. There was about 450 people going to the same event and they were all heading down the same road and it was pretty slow going. That is until we got to the autobahn. Once we got on we were cruising at around 90MPH waiting for the traffic to move over. I knew as soon as it did that he would downshift and hit the gas just to mess with me. So when I saw traffic move over I downshifted to 3rd (heel toeing of course) and then at that point the blah blah blah from the passenger seat stopped and all you could hear was the engine and mechanical noises of my very own muscle car. I waited for the black exhaust plume to exit his exhaust and I hit the gas shifting at 6700 both times till I was in 5th and coming up to the speed limiter. At this point I think he knew that I wasn't going to let up so we slowed down for a big left hand sweeper at 140ish MPH and cruised at that while in 6th for about 10 minutes passing everyone we work with at that speed. For the most part when slower cars are in the left lane they don't stay there long because there are so many cars on the Autobahn that are fast that it's safer for everyone to just stay out of the way than it is to make a car going 155+ slow down because you can't keep up.

We exited using the off-ramp. Exits to the highway are very different than the ones in the states. Sometimes they are VERY, VERY short so may find yourself going from 80MPHish (120K is the speed limit unless posted otherwise) to zero in less than 100 meters and not straight. We both downshifted and made our exit.

I live in Bavaria which is in the South Eastern corner of Germany. There aren't very many straight roads ANYWHERE here and the next road was no exception. There was a ton of event traffic but everyone is moving at a good pace and enjoying the scenery. About 5 minutes later we arrive at the event and find parking. My buddy's car is pretty loud and with me behind him in a low gear trying to stay in the powerband the whole event heard us bounding over the rolling hills as we got close to the equestrian competition arena where the event was being held in the banquet hall. The drive is always great.

When we parked the guy that was riding with me made a bee-line towards the building and the two guys that were in my buds car got out and started talking smack (neither of them own cars) and both me and my buddy reminded them that we weren't racing but just enjoying the performance cars we both own in one of the most satisfying driving countries in the world. And I reminded them that I was cruising in 6th so when he downshifted I didn't and he pulled away a little. I also let them know that I would rather have a little more space at that speed anyway and that I was pretty much right behind him the whole time. We ended up making the trip in 24 minutes.

Just thought I would share since it was one of those times when I felt very privileged to drive an American Icon in Europe.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 5/12/13 at 04:16 AM.
Old 5/12/13, 06:17 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great story, glad you are enjoying your mustang over there.
Old 5/12/13, 06:32 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet he has a TON of money in that Subaru to make it go that fast, thats usually the case with those rice burners, anyway you should havent went ahead and blew his doors off!!...
Old 5/12/13, 07:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually he does have tons of money invested in his engine and suspension. I usually do blow his doors off because he needs to invest in a driver mod. We are about equal when he gets it right. It definitely is fun to live over here with this car.