General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

First Car Manual vs Auto

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/13, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Car Manual vs Auto

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some help deciding on my first car. My parents made a deal with me where they'd match the amount that I saved for a car. Several summers and many perilous jobs later, I've acquired around $6,000. I've done some research and strongly feel like a V6 manual is the way to go. After driving my dad's manual around for a while, I simply can't settle with an automatic.

However, I can only seem to find 2005-2007 deluxe models (meaning no mycolor, etc ) However, as soon as i open the search filters to automatic, I'm greeted with 2008-2010 premiums. So, my question is, do you guys recommend a manual or automatic for a first time driver? And is the lack of manual transmission a worthwhile sacrifice for a better interior?
Old 1/30/13, 03:21 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Welcome and tough choices! Which is more important to you, upgraded interior or stick? I didn't say I'd offer much help but that's pretty much it. IMO newer year and auto.
Old 1/30/13, 03:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im partial to MTs, but theres nothing wrong w/ an AT except that its good to learn stick early in your driving life. Sounds like you already have though and if you drag at all, the auto will likely be faster anyway. What $ range are you looking at?
Old 1/30/13, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Mine is auto and I've never looked back after the Steeda 93 tune. I eat manuals with same mods 10/10.
Old 1/30/13, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I am selling my Honda S2000 (obviously manual) and will soon (but not soon enough) take delivery of a new Mustang V6 with the SelectShift automatic. I don't know what the earlier Mustang automatics were like, but I will be quite content to only shift it myself when I want to, such as when autocrossing.
Old 2/3/13, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

The upgraded interior is nice. But stick is always fun. I'd say go for the stick. I have a auto gt with all the upgrades. And after about 3 months it gets old and you don't really care about my color and stuff like that. But I do love the red leather.
Old 2/4/13, 03:07 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
A lot depends on where you will be driving. Heavy traffic situations would tend to lean me towards an automatic. If you feel you can get out and drive the car the way it should be driven, then a manual is the way to go. One other plus with a manual is the experience it offers. Even if you own it for just a year, you will never forget how to shift for as long as you live, just like riding a bike.
One other note: Is that the best 'user' name you could come up with?
Old 2/4/13, 03:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
One other plus with a manual is the experience it offers. Even if you own it for just a year, you will never forget how to shift for as long as you live, just like riding a bike.
Lol, plus youll be able to pop your clutch, which is, you know, not terribly helpful, but does make you cooler.
Old 2/4/13, 10:38 PM
GT Member

A lot depends on where you will be driving. Heavy traffic situations would tend to lean me towards an automatic. If you feel you can get out and drive the car the way it should be driven, then a manual is the way to go. One other plus with a manual is the experience it offers. Even if you own it for just a year, you will never forget how to shift for as long as you live, just like riding a bike.
Have to agree heavily with this logic. I just got out of a Miata with a 6-speed I drove for almost 10 years and when traffic is bad, I was limping when I get to office/home from the clutch action. I opted for an auto in my 'Stang for a break from that.

But starting off with a manual means you can drive almost anything. Slightly better MPG and (like wheelman said) the ability to burn out pretty much on demand adds to the fun.
Old 2/4/13, 11:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Nunja Business
Slightly better MPG and (like wheelman said) the ability to burn out pretty much on demand adds to the fun.
Not true. Generally speaking, the new cars that are available in both manual and automatic have better MPG specs on the automatic. That is certainly true of the V6 Mustang. Don't know about the V8s.
Old 2/4/13, 11:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Depends on your orher hobbies. I ride MX & one day tweaked the crud out of my left knee during a crash. The pain driving my manny trans all the way home was almost unbearable!
Old 2/5/13, 06:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
Not true. Generally speaking, the new cars that are available in both manual and automatic have better MPG specs on the automatic. That is certainly true of the V6 Mustang. Don't know about the V8s.
Since the OP said he would be in the $12K range, I think we can forget "new cars."
Old 2/5/13, 10:40 AM
V6 Member

If it were my daily driver and I was driving a lot in stop & go traffic and/or hills, I might opt for the AUTO. Otherwise, standard transmission all the way.
Old 2/5/13, 04:20 PM

ya that user name has to go
Old 2/5/13, 08:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
What's wrong with it? It's his name, obviously, ***** Ackben. Oh, sure, I mean, the last name is certainly different, but why would anyone's parents name their kid '*****' is a little beyond me.

Then again, there's Lo'matequacharmagnes (Lo for short) and Apples and Rumers and Blues and such, right? So... ***** Ackben. Yeah. YEAH. Manly name!

I'll allow it!

/Must be some sort of Geoff Peterson fan, them parents...

Last edited by houtex; 2/5/13 at 08:13 PM.