General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Engine stammers a bit when cold...

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/12, 11:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine stammers a bit when cold...

This may be normal, but I just wanted to check and see if anyone else has experienced it.

I just noticed this yesterday. My car is a GT with the MT82 tranny. The engine wasn't completely up to operating temp yet, but when I accelerated (not severely) I noticed a bit of stammering. It wasn't like turbo lag. The engine responded immediately, but as it accelerated, I noticed a very slight "missing" type of stammer. In other words, it wasn't a typically perfect acceleration.

Like I said, the engine temp needle was just barely off the C peg so it may be a cold engine issue. And it may be because it only has 250 miles on it so far.

Any suggestions? Or has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.
Old 2/24/12, 10:19 PM
V6 Member

Anyone? Anyone

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced any "stammering" with their GT. It's not really like a "missing" but just a very slight uneven acceleration, kind of surging but very minor. I only have about 250 miles on it so far, so that may be part of the computer program trying to figure itself out or "learn" my driving? I don't know how any of that works.

Any comments would be helpful.
Old 3/6/12, 05:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same boat, same miles. Figured the dealer put in as cheap of gas as possible. I put in 93 from Sam's Club. Gonna switch out to Shell next tank. Doesn't seem to like the cold now. I figured I will give it some more miles and see how it goes. 230 on the clock now. By the way how is your tranny smooth or a little notchy. I must say mine is a little notchy. Was gonna let that loosen up a bit to.
Old 3/6/12, 08:37 PM
V6 Member

bh - My transmission started out very un-notchy. I'm currently at 448 miles and I've noticed a bit of notchiness, but I can't be sure that it's not operator error from not completely depressing the clutch. I'm going to make a concentrated effort on checking it in the next few days to see if it's just my driving. I'm thinking it is.

It ran kind of rough on the QT gas that I put in as the second tank, even though I went up to their highest grade, which is 91 octane. I just filled it up again with about 4 gallons left in the tank, using Shell. It does seem to like that gasoline a little better so far. But I really haven't given it a good test since my mileage is still low. I'm going to wait till it hits 1,000 miles before I really abuse it.

Post a photo of yours when you get a chance.
Old 3/8/12, 12:04 AM
V6 Member

Maybe you can see this link:
http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s1...k-in-here.html

I wonder if the car "learned" during the ride home from the dealership. My wife drove it home and I'm sure she was driving it differently than I have been recently. I don't know if it matters but was thinking of trying essentially a reset to see if it has any effect. As far as the tranny, I don't want to make it sound like it's a problem but compared to my mazda stick this one is notchy. I did have to push 2x to get in third today. Just a few more questions comparisons if you don't mind. One, how is your gas mileage. Mine is terrible around 14 in the city. I don't think I'm that hard on it either. Second, what was your build date mine was on Feb 20 per the sticker. We might have got cars in about the same run.

Race Red, 6sp manual, 301a, 3.73
Old 3/8/12, 10:25 AM
V6 Member

bh -

My build date is January 31.
Gas mileage is showing 17.3 with 448 miles on it.
I haven't reset it since I drove it off the lot.
That's about 70% city and 30% highway.

Transmission is good so far.
I've experienced a couple of "notchy" shifts, but I think my foot was not on the floor with the clutch pedal on those. If I fully depress the clutch, it shifts without any notchiness.

I'm very pleased with it so far, and that's coming from a guy who traded in a 2011 BMW 335 that I bought new. Lousy interior in that car in my opinion. Mustang is far superior. Plus the body panels seem thicker and more substantial. The hood on the BMW would burn your hand when you came home. The Mustang's is cool. I love that aspect of it. Also, there was always black soot in my exhaust tips. Had to wipe them out after every trip. The Mustang's are clean every time.

I couldn't be more pleased.
Old 3/8/12, 05:04 PM
V6 Member

We got rid of an 06 Z4. We had the 3.0 in the car. This car is more fun. More comfortable and am pleased with the fact that there are no squeaks, rattles etc. Seems tight. I don't mean to sound like a complainer or that I am dissatisfied with something. I think when new every little thing sticks out and the possibility to be over critical exists. Reading the forums to much lends itself to making mountains out of mohills. Ant tunes or other mods planned?
Old 3/8/12, 05:53 PM
V6 Member

bh -

You're absolutely right. When you buy a new car you expect everything to be perfect. Plus, the fact that I'm a perfectionist doesn't help either. But I can't really fault the car for anything yet. I did notice today that the rubber ring around the ignition wasn't sitting flush, I did a little adjustment on it and it's fine now. Also, I have noticed that the ignition key is a bit (only a bit) stubborn when going into the slot. That's no biggie either. I'm sure it will get better with time and a little wear.

Actually, I had a lot more complaints about the BMW than I do with the Mustang. It's such a great feeling to have a car that you really like looking at and enjoy driving. I never could get that feeling with the BMW, so this is a real plus, not to mention the different in cost.

The great thing is that we're covered bumper to bumper for the next 3 years so if anything goes wrong, it will be fixed. That's a bonus, too.

I don't have any mods planned yet. I got the windows tinted at the dealership when I bought it. In a couple of years when the tires get worn I may buy some different wheel, although I actually do like the 18" polished aluminum that came on it. And I love the Sterling Gray color.

You still need to post a picture of yours.
Old 3/8/12, 07:55 PM
V6 Member

Pic.
Attached Thumbnails Engine stammers a bit when cold...-015.jpg  
Old 3/8/12, 10:32 PM
V6 Member

That's gorgeous! I love it.
Old 3/8/12, 11:51 PM
V6 Member

Thank you. Same to you.
Old 4/17/12, 09:22 PM
V6 Member

It's been a while since I posted on here, but I thought I'd offer an update on the 2012 Sterling gray GT MT82.

It's still great. But it still has that stammering issue.

Something new that just started a couple of days ago is that when I start it up from a cold start, the tachometer does a little surging between 1,000 and 800 and 1,000 and 800 and 1,000 and 800 at about twice the interval that it took you to read that part. It's a little clunky when the engine is cold.

After it gets warmed up, it still has that "uncertainty" issue (for lack of a better explanation) when I step into it. It's like it takes off, but something is just sllightly out of kilter, like it's not getting a steady fuel stream or an uninterrupted fuel ignition. It's ever so slight, but it is noticeable to the driver. I'm guessing a reset of the computer might be in order and might provide the fix it needs. I do need to take it to the dealer to get the front license plate mounting bracket installed. Although I might wait until I'm stopped by a LEO before I go drilling holes in my front bumper. I hate doing that unless it's unavoidable.

But, even with the little minor ignition or fuel issue or whatever it happens to be, I still love driving and looking at the car. I'm hoping they can fix whatever this is. Maybe it just needs to have the tune flashed again. Does anyone know anything about that aspect of it?

Currently at 1,158 miles and 16.6 avg mpg since I took delivery. Haven't reset the mpg so far, and I do put my foot into it occasionally. (How else can you tell if it's running right?)

Oh, almost forgot. I got a letter from the license bureau today. My personalized plates are in and I can pick them up tomorrow. I went with... (wait for it).... GRAVY 8.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SterlingGrayV8; 4/17/12 at 09:24 PM.