General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Discussion - "fuel savers" do they work??

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/15, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Discussion - "fuel savers" do they work??

Ok I couldn't really find a place to put this, but I figured since its a "tech" item I might as well toss it in general tech, anyways I want to start a discussion about these "magnetic" fuel saver things and weather or not they are a money gag or if they really do something. this is NOT intended to be a "flame war thread" or any thing like that, just a good discussion of yes or no they work and why or why not. so letss keep this clean or I will request the thread be locked!

so here is what I was looking at on evilbay, do these things work or not, are they just a waste of $$$ and why or why not??

here is the link to the original ad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Fuel-Sa...b050dc&vxp=mtr

Here are the claims of the product

Video of the item being installed

a few FAQ type questions found on the ad

Best place to install it?

You want to install the Fuel Saver as close as possible to your engines fuel injectors. The fuel line feeds the fuel pump which then goes to your fuel injectors.

Will it fit my Car/Truck or Hybrid or Air Cooled engines?

Yes, it will fit on any vehicle!

How long will the installation take?

If you find your fuel line, it should not take you more than a few minutes.

Do I need anything else?

No, but we do recommend changing your oil about 1500 miles after installing the fuel saver. The cleaning may have increased carbon deposits in your oil. However, after the first oil change your next oil change can be extended without any harm to your vehicle, up to 6000 mile oil changes.

Will the GTE Fuel Saver pass my smog test?

Yes, it should help with your vehicles smog. You may see up to 50% reduction in emissions if installed properly.

If the GTE Fuel Saver is that great, why don't manufacturers put them on vehicles from factory?

This is a great point. However automobile manufactures try to skimp on any extra costs. Even $10 extra on every car could be millions of dollars for a manufacturer. Most car manufacturers until recently were not even interested in gas mileage. However, just recently we have begun working closely with some top vehicle manufactures...possibly installing our product on their vehicles from factory.

Will the Fuel Saver improve my performance?

Yes, people have seen improved performance on sports cars and regular cars alike. The fuel molecules are optimized for maximum ignition and burn.
Old 3/8/15, 06:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
No, they don't. End of story.
Old 3/8/15, 09:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Like joeywhat said, but if you want more proof:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a310/1802932/

You can find others, and I'm pretty surprised you didn't do that research. It's just like... right there.

So... you don't happen to make these things, do ya?

---

Bottom line... With the CAFE rules in effect against the car makers, they WOULD and DO try every stinking trick in the book to get as much fuel economy as they can in these cars. Which is, by the way, how they now get factory warrantied 5.0 V8s that can do in the 20s on the highway and get 400+ horsepower. I find that to be rather extraordinary.

But if this thing would get them 30% (Seriously... **30 percent!!***) more fuel economy out of the 5.0, they would have done it *years* ago. It would be built in.

And that, above all else, is how you can tell when something's snake oil. They aren't using it. So it's not a thing(tm).
Old 3/8/15, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

no I don't make them, what sparked this discussion was that I was looking for "K&N Airfilters" and AmsOil EA airfilters for my Mustang and these ads for this "fuel saver"(which I don't believe work anyways) started appearing after I had searched emay for reuseable airfilters, as well as a few other sites like Pepboys, Autozone, and NAPA (stange how ads for this type of thing start coming up when Im looking fir airfilters)

as for the claims I see these just like every other magnet, just that a magnet!

oh and I have done research on these things, but was looking to start a healthy discussion on these type of things just to get some discussions going...LOL

Last edited by Jim74656; 3/8/15 at 09:31 PM.
Old 3/9/15, 10:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, then just to add to the discussion.

Being only slightly engine savy....
Assuming that it does ionize the fuel, and I don't see why it couldn't, what is the engine gonna care?
The fuel get compressed and then blows up. How is the fuel being ionized gonna help that process?

Just my initial thoughts, to add to a discussion.
Old 3/10/15, 05:27 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
With pressure from the EPA to increase fuel economy, automakers would jump on this cheap solution if it worked. It does not. End of story.
Old 3/10/15, 07:53 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if

if any of that stuff really worked dont you think they would be put on factory or if not govt mandated by now
Old 3/15/15, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the 70's Car and Driver put these to the test and found that none of then (a fuel ionizer was among them) worked.

I remember the quote for one of the "solutions" - "this solution wasn't effective, but at least it was silent in its ineffectiveness". (I believe some solutions rerouted the air going into the carburetor and made a pronounced whistle).

There were rumours of Smokey Yunick working on something to make V8s ultra-efficient but a lot of it was just to stir interest in various corporations and encourage investment.
Old 3/15/15, 06:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
the best I've found for my 07 gtcs is removing the fuel pump & cleaning the pickup or sock , last time I did I gained 80 to 100 kilometers
Old 3/23/15, 04:55 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me, fuel savers are just a waste of money. I remember the magnetic fuel saver that can help the fuel to flow better so that it will burn better and more efficiently, but there's no scientific evidence that can support this claim.
Old 3/27/15, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

well I was surfing ebay looking for I believe a power steering pump or something like that and this was in that list (not sure why? but its ebay so what would you expect??) and read the ad and just started laughing at it as it just seems so stupid that people would fall for this stuff anyways...I mean heck if magnets would help with fuel economy then hot dang I got a butt load of magnets in my garage that I should be attaching to all my cars, granted they are old fridge magnets and those types of magnets but still....!