General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Buying a mustang for 18th birthday.

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/16, 09:15 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
Really? At 17, I bought my first car with my own money I'd saved from jobs I had worked since I was 14. I bought a Mustang with a 302. Sure I drove like a normal teenager but never got into an accident with another vehicle. I didn't get my first speeding ticket until I was 20.

I'd hate to think that I'm the exception to the norm. I say buy what you want & can afford. And know that if you break the law or if uou are reckless, there are consequences. Enjoy it as much as you can. I think the lesson that is most often overlooked is that there are consequences.
Not being a smartarz here but are you a parent?
Old 3/2/16, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Not being a smartarz here but are you a parent?
Whether or not I'm a parent is irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not an 18 year old should drive a V8 Mustang.

I'm a realist. And the reality is that teenagers aren't always responsible regardless of what type of car they drive. A responsible parent tries their best to raise their child to act responsibly & do the right thing. But again, TEENAGER.

Should an 18 year old should drive a V8 Mustang? I'm all for it.

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 3/2/16 at 11:22 AM.
Old 3/2/16, 03:21 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Whether or not I'm a parent is irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not an 18 year old should drive a V8 Mustang.

I'm a realist. And the reality is that teenagers aren't always responsible regardless of what type of car they drive. A responsible parent tries their best to raise their child to act responsibly & do the right thing. But again, TEENAGER.

Should an 18 year old should drive a V8 Mustang? I'm all for it.
Well as a parent I respectfully disagree with a hi-po V8 for a teenager and I DO think it's relevant.
Old 3/2/16, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 5.0 is NOT a lot of engine for an 18 year old. It may be considered a lot of engine for an inexperienced driver. By the time I was 18, I had already been driving 6 years. I grew up in the country & started to learn to drive @ 11. By 12, I was driving the farm truck around the dirt roads like the Dukes of Hazzard!

So I don't think a 5.0 might be too much car just becsuse of age, more appropriately a person's driving skill.

If you can handle it, go for it! Learn it, live it, love it!
Sounds familiar... I was driving on a farm by 9 and taking the old man to town by 11 (on country back roads of course). Though time has changed some things, it hasn't changed what fuels an 18 year old. He could definitely be a safe driver and completely respectful of the power. Or he could be like what I would consider the majority of 18 yr old boys out there. We won't/don't know, and that is where good parenting steps in.

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow - Really? At 17, I bought my first car with my own money I'd saved from jobs I had worked since I was 14. I bought a Mustang with a 302. Sure I drove like a normal teenager but never got into an accident with another vehicle. I didn't get my first speeding ticket until I was 20.

I'd hate to think that I'm the exception to the norm. I say buy what you want & can afford. And know that if you break the law or if uou are reckless, there are consequences. Enjoy it as much as you can. I think the lesson that is most often overlooked is that there are consequences.
You just might be the exception to the norm honestly.

Justin Bieber bought the Ferrari he wanted... guess he learned the consequences. Good thing he wasn't street racing and fueled by the typical "invincible" persona of someone that age.
Old 3/2/16, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well as a parent I respectfully disagree with a hi-po V8 for a teenager and I DO think it's relevant.
Amen brother.

But if I had a son that showed reasonable discipline and respect for vehicles, I would have no problem encouraging him to start down the right path of fast cars with something moderately fast as long as that discipline remained. Also, father and son HPDE courses would be a great example of the right way to encourage the passion for motorsports and high HP cars.
Old 3/2/16, 04:08 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Really? At 17, I bought my first car with my own money I'd saved from jobs I had worked since I was 14. I bought a Mustang with a 302. Sure I drove like a normal teenager but never got into an accident with another vehicle. I didn't get my first speeding ticket until I was 20. I'd hate to think that I'm the exception to the norm. I say buy what you want & can afford. And know that if you break the law or if you are reckless, there are consequences. Enjoy it as much as you can. I think the lesson that is most often overlooked is that there are consequences.
Yep really. Just talking from my experience as a parent and high school teacher for years. The majority of kids that age are not ready for such a car. There's actually some proven developmental psychology on the subject but I wouldn't want to bore you. Sounds like you're set
Old 3/2/16, 05:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Yep really. Just talking from my experience as a parent and high school teacher for years. The majority of kids that age are not ready for such a car. There's actually some proven developmental psychology on the subject but I wouldn't want to bore you. Sounds like you're set
I guess it boils down to parenting & a child's willingness to do the right thing. We bought our son his first motorcycle at 4 and so far he's enjoyed it in a way that has been safe for him & the other riders on the track. I see a number of young kids safely enjoying motorized vehicles of different types all the time. So I don't think I'm the exception to the norm. Education, training, practice & parenting.
Old 3/3/16, 06:00 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I've seen teenagers who have the responsibility to handle a Mustang GT, and then there are people like my step daughter, who is now 25. She shouldn't drive anything unless it is powered by Briggs & Stratton.
Old 3/3/16, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
As far as my parents and cars (generalizing) my (can't remember which one) great grandfather on my dads side, had a good comment and even while I served in the Fire Dept I still used it when teaching about vehicle safety and that was "always treat a vehicle with respect, its like a loaded weapon waiting for the trigger to be pulled, that is how fast they can kill" No I didn't start on a Mustang but I did start on a Nissan Altima and while thats not a V8 it did have the get up and go that could be considered a bit much...

but thats aside from the point, my main point is any car or truck is like a gun, its always loaded when it is running and it can kill just as quick as a person pulling the trigger...show them respect and it will treat you well...
Old 3/3/16, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I had this same issue with my 17 year old son. I gave him a tricked out 2006 Mustang V6 pony. He wanted a new Mustang After i ordered a 2014 GT. When he found out what his insurance would be he decided to go with the 2014 V6. It has 305 HP almost 100 more than all of my old Mustangs. It is the best car for him while he is honing his Driving skills. Best part he got his for a steal. It was about 10K less than the GT's. Like my son if it where me I would save the money and go V6. He has not lost a race to his friends.. Good Luck
Old 3/9/16, 01:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm only throwing this out there that at 18 these new 5.0's got a lot of hp. Please be careful they can be a handful if you aren't used to a V8.
I tend to agree. A GT is a lot of car for an 18 year old guy. Very easy to get into serious trouble. Be careful.