Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

LED Switchback turn signals (3157)

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/16, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
LED Switchback turn signals (3157)

I have the Oracle LED side markers on my car and am wanting to now swap out my turn signal bulbs for LED's so they more closely match the amber color of the side markers. I bought a cheap amazon set of 3157 switchbacks that came with load resistors, hoping to not have to use them but the bulbs hyper flashed without them. My 12' already has LED bulbs in the tails that came from the factory (I believe). I don't want to mess with the wiring on the turn signals if possible. Does anyone know of a replacement LED bulb I can get that won't require splicing in a resistor?? I spoke with the guy at VLEDS about their Triton bulb system yesterday. The VLED Tritons have a nice plug in load resistor option, just not sure changing out my turn signals is worth $200 right now. The guy at VLEDS said he has heard from people with mustangs and some need the resistors and others don't?!?! All the posts I've seen are mixed as well ?!?
Old 2/18/16, 10:50 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the flasher on this gen Mustang replaceable? (as opposed to built into the BCM like some newer cars - I'm interested too). If so, swapping the flasher to a no-load electronic flasher will fix the issue and negate the need for load resisters.

Either of these EP27L might work:

Amazon.com: iJDMTOY (1) 5-Pin EP27 FL27 Electronic LED Flasher Relay Fix For LED Turn Signal Bulbs Hyper Flash Fix: Automotive Amazon.com: iJDMTOY (1) 5-Pin EP27 FL27 Electronic LED Flasher Relay Fix For LED Turn Signal Bulbs Hyper Flash Fix: Automotive

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...asher/784/838/

I haven't tried yet. Those are listed for earlier years (1995-2011), but may work unless Ford changed the flasher for the 2010-2014.

I know on my Firebird, I changed the flasher to a no-load electronic one (different part number) and that solved the hyper-flash and didn't need load resisters.

Last edited by VIP1; 2/18/16 at 10:57 PM.
Old 2/19/16, 04:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That's a good idea, but everything I've read tells me that the blinkers since around 2010 are controlled by the SJB and our cars don't have a relay?? I also read on an f-150 forum that a guy on there had the hyperflash "turned off" by the dealership somehow... I definitely don't feel like cutting into the turn signal wires to install those resistors, plus the wires on them are so short, I'm not sure where I would find a place to mount and tie them into the wires without removing the front bumper. I was hoping someone who had installed them would chime in with their experience and some installation insight.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 2/19/16 at 04:49 AM.
Old 2/19/16, 07:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't know why those links exist with a mustang picture. S197 turn signals are controlled by the SJB. The last time that I'm aware of where you could just swap a relay was SN95.

I have switchbacks on my '05, and I would expect yours to function the same as mine (which needed resistors).

Perhaps others have had different experiences, but I would strongly suggest taking off the bumper and soldering them in or not changing the bulbs at all. I messed around with "quick splice" connectors for a long time...sometimes they would work, and then suddenly they wouldn't anymore. The wire gauge is pretty small, so there's not a lot of wire strands left. I finally considered making a connector with a built-in resistor, so it would all be plug n play. But I decided, why go through all that effort when it would be just as much work to just solder everything. It's been working great ever since.
Old 2/19/16, 10:46 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Installing those load resistors negates half the reason for switching to LED. First Half is fast bright light. Second half is reduced power consumption.
Old 2/19/16, 11:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
I have the Oracle LED side markers on my car and am wanting to now swap out my turn signal bulbs for LED's so they more closely match the amber color of the side markers. I bought a cheap amazon set of 3157 switchbacks that came with load resistors, hoping to not have to use them but the bulbs hyper flashed without them. My 12' already has LED bulbs in the tails that came from the factory (I believe). I don't want to mess with the wiring on the turn signals if possible. Does anyone know of a replacement LED bulb I can get that won't require splicing in a resistor?? I spoke with the guy at VLEDS about their Triton bulb system yesterday. The VLED Tritons have a nice plug in load resistor option, just not sure changing out my turn signals is worth $200 right now. The guy at VLEDS said he has heard from people with mustangs and some need the resistors and others don't?!?! All the posts I've seen are mixed as well ?!?
I installed the Diode Dynamics HP80 Amber only turn signals on my 2014. I bought the resistors but they weren't required. Not sure if you'd need them with the switchbacks, but my car has the white LED DRLs that yours doesn't, so I can understand wanting the switchbacks.