General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Best way to get out of Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/05, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MachMe@May 29, 2005, 8:22 PM
Let's see here. You have a great looking car, , I'll assume a good playing job to pay for the good looking car. So why on earth would you risk your life running 103mph? :nono: . I went through that faze many years ago and let me tell you. just because the car will run that fast doesn't mean you have to go out and try it. I blew up a motor one night in a '69 Camaro I had trying to see what it would top out at and I also had an '87 GT Mustang up to 145mph going to Nashville :scratch: . It was on the way home when I nearly lost it in the rain following my parents and checking the tires when I got home and finding them nearly bald in the middle that I realized that had one of them blown on me I probably wouldn't be here typing tonight. Yeah, it's a rush to see what your car can and will do but do it on at the track where there's a safety crew.
Actually I don't usually speed and don't use a radar detector. Some moron in a riced out Neon wouldn't let me pass him, I was doing about 80. So I put a little foot in the new Tang and he sped up. A car was coming up on me at well over 100 and I gunned it and got around him. The speeding car was an AZ DPS officer chasing a car that just passed at over 100. He chose me and said he could have picked any of the three of us. He was really cool and wrote the ticket down to 10 over and could have really stuck me. I really didn't know the Mustang went over 100 because it was my 4th day and it was so flippin quick. Also it was 11pm in a remote part of AZ, straight and very open. I don't think it took more than a car-length for that car to go from 85 to 103.

So my hats off to the AZ DPS guy. I was careless and it was my fault. I paid the fine and the money wasn't a big issue. The big issue is the cost on the insurance.
Old 5/30/05, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Lord Chabelo@May 30, 2005, 11:49 AM
Another thing that helps to keep a cop happy when they pull you over, is to do so in a place where there is plenty of room for them to walk over to your car and not get run over (like a parking lot). Bonus points if you park your car in such a way that is obvious you don't plan to run.
Honesty does work when trying to get yourself off a ticket. A friend of mine was driving back home after a party (after some drinks :nono: ) He didnt realize he ran a stop sign and got pulled over. The cop asked if he had been drinking, my friend said yes. The cop said he apreciated the honesty, and let him go. Same scenario, different friend. Friend gets pulled over on I-10, cop asks if my friend knew why he got pulled over. My friend says because he was swirving (which he was), but the cop said no, because you don't have your headlights on :bang: The cop asked if my friend had been drinking, he said yes. The cop told him to go straight home.

Let this be a leason, dont drink and drive!
Letting a drunk driver go home is not a cool cop, it is a stupid cop. WTF He should be fired. :shock:
Old 5/30/05, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Have you ever heard of Morning Breeze Perfume? It is available at gag shops and smells like you put your head in a septic tank.

My brother-in-law is a really funny guy and for some reason had a bottle of it in his car. He got pulled over and he opened the bottle and waved it around the inside of his car. When the cop walked up to the window he opened the window and the intense smell just came rolling out.

He said, I'm sorry officer, I just crapped myself and I have to get home and clean up. The officer said, just go.

Now that's creative. We aren't sure if it's true or not because he is a major league BS-er. But it sounds pretty funny.
Old 5/31/05, 05:54 AM
GT Member

I get pulled over all the time, but I haven't had a moving violation (in state) in more than 10 years. Out of state tickets don't count on my insurance so I don't count those.

I'll say pretty much anything to get out of a ticket. I won't do anything, but with the cost of insurance in NJ, I will say anything. The key is to be nice. I don't think of cops as getting picked last and hit first, but I do think of them as the guys who probably played football in high school, not the brightest, but big hearts.

Okay, when I was 17 I would tell them, at the right time, that my father would beat me if I got a ticket. When I turned 25, I would say my husband would beat me.

I don't cry, but I do babble. I can talk more nonsense in the shortest period of time of anyone I know. I dyed my hair blond and I do the ditz routine really well. I'm never rude, but I can give my life story in under 3 minutes.

Almost every cop who pulls me over says I'm one of the nicest people they've ever pulled over, so I guess being nice is the way to be. I've had cops write tickets and then tear them up. I've had them take my car (revoked registration) but drive me home and help carry my grocery bags in. I've been taken to the station (revoked registration in a different town) and one went toto a diner to get me tea.

It also helps to negotiate the ticket. I don't wear a seatbelt, so when I get pulled over for speeding -- NJ State Troopers are required to write something for each stop -- I try to get a non-moving violation instead of a speeding ticket. That works pretty well.

I guess the most important thing is to be nice. I always try to remember these guys are putting their lives on the line each time they pull someone over. They don't know if I have a gun under the seat, or if I'm a nut. So I try to put them at ease quickly. Being a blond female helps a lot -- not at all with women cops or rookies -- I don't know how big guys get out of tickets, but being female gets me out of them almost every time.
Old 6/9/05, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I got pulled over on 295 in NJ a couple of weeks ago. When he asked me "do you know why I pulled you over" . I said yes officer, I was speeding. He seemed sort of relieved when I didnt lie to him but then why I went to give him my lisc. and reg. I also gave him 3 pba cards. He just handed them right back to me and said, these wont do you any good. I dont know if he thought I was trying to be a smart butt (which it did kind of seem that way) but I was pretty mad. ( by the way I was doing 84 in a 65 ) I only gave him all my pba's bc it was my first time getting pulled over and I was pretty nervous. I just wanted to do anything to get out of it. I am going to court on the 15th and fighting it so we will see what happens... cross your fingers!
Old 6/9/05, 03:01 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 88blueGT@June 9, 2005, 3:33 PM
I got pulled over on 295 in NJ a couple of weeks ago. When he asked me "do you know why I pulled you over" . I said yes officer, I was speeding. He seemed sort of relieved when I didnt lie to him but then why I went to give him my lisc. and reg. I also gave him 3 pba cards. He just handed them right back to me and said, these wont do you any good. I dont know if he thought I was trying to be a smart butt (which it did kind of seem that way) but I was pretty mad. ( by the way I was doing 84 in a 65 ) I only gave him all my pba's bc it was my first time getting pulled over and I was pretty nervous. I just wanted to do anything to get out of it. I am going to court on the 15th and fighting it so we will see what happens... cross your fingers!

Just for clarification,what part of that are you going to fight??? :scratch:
Old 6/9/05, 03:13 PM
GT Member

In NJ, when you get any moving violation, you go to court.

I actually called around and got my insurance lowered by $1,000. a year. Granted, now I'll have a $1k ded but at least my insurance payment is less than my car payment.

One ticket and I'll probably pay double the rates.
Old 6/9/05, 03:16 PM
Service Manager

Received 450 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally posted by Fellser@May 31, 2005, 5:57 AM
Out of state tickets don't count on my insurance so I don't count those.

I've got news for you....you had better check your local state laws....MOST if not all states usually have what is called reciprocity with bordering states...which means that tickets issued in neighboring states DO go on your record.

When I lived in Maryland, any ticket from Virginia, PA, West Virginia, D.C. and Delaware went on your Maryland driving record and consequently reported to the insurance company.
Old 6/9/05, 04:01 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Fellser@June 9, 2005, 4:16 PM
In NJ, when you get any moving violation, you go to court.

Oh, I see.
Old 6/10/05, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

FYI .... as a city cop for more than 18yrs, I never make up my mind to write a citation until I speak to the operator. I've been called every name in the book, and some that aren't in anyone's book. Politeness and truthfullness goes a long way to resolving any situation. "Guilty with and explanation..." is the quickest way to avoid a fine. That and obeying the rules of the road.
Old 6/10/05, 04:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by delz05@June 10, 2005, 2:56 PM
FYI .... as a city cop for more than 18yrs, I never make up my mind to write a citation until I speak to the operator. I've been called every name in the book, and some that aren't in anyone's book. Politeness and truthfullness goes a long way to resolving any situation. "Guilty with and explanation..." is the quickest way to avoid a fine. That and obeying the rules of the road.
I find the big city cops and the HP guys are pretty cool. I have found the biggest jerks are small town cops that are bored. Our local cops start at 20K a year and retire at about 36K.

I think most of our cops would only make security guards in a big city. You remember, all over the news, the sqeeky voiced fat cop that was screaming, "you want to taste my juice" and pulling that heavy set black woman out of her car with her seatbelt on and a can of Mace in the other hand? That's a small town cop.

I have been pulled over 7 times and not received a ticket. I am always polite and basically tell the cop to give me a ticket. The last pull over I did receive a ticket because I was going 103. He wrote it down to 85 in a 75 and I was very happy.

Hey cops do a tough job, but like anything there is good and bad. I've had to fight a few tickets in my life and I have been successful about half the time. I have seen cops lie in court to cya.
Old 6/10/05, 04:21 PM
Service Manager

I live in a small town with a lot of other small towns around....only one has a reputation for pulling people over...but they are pulling over speeders and other offenders, just not cutting them any slack.

I don't find that attitude at all here and around which is why you should not make assumptions that they are the same everywhere. My experience here with the small town is not the same....others may have a different opinion but they are the ones who have broken the law or deserve a ticket thanks to their own attitude. I am no angel.....I exceed the speed limit, have done a rolling stop on a stop sign and been pulled over but the "small town cop" never ticketed me and that was before I got to know him and the others. Sure small town cops get bored....but that doesn't mean that they are looking to go out and write tickets or harrass people...most the time they just want an uneventful day and do go home at 6pm.

Again....they are people just like the rest of us. You don't want to be called names and harrassed while you are at work and neither do they. I can honestly say having known cops in every area from New York, New Jersey, Washington D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama.....every one of them have had a similar relaxed attitude and were very likeable guys...you WILL find an SOB every now and then but the majority are nice people just trying to do their job and go home to their families and it isn't fair or right to label the entire group as "liars" and "Barney Fife's".
Old 6/10/05, 04:28 PM
Cobra Member

The best way to get out of tickets...Don't break the law.

Or at least don't get caught.
Old 6/10/05, 04:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by delz05@June 10, 2005, 2:56 PM
You should appreciate this.

A Las Vegas cop was cruising on a 4 lane hiway out here (in Southern Utah) and a cop in the other lane pulled a u-turn and nabbed him. He was not speeding and was being passed by another car that was. It didn't matter, the officer chose him out of the pack.

The LV cop identified himself as an officer and was scolded for throwing his weight around. He was told, "you don't have to flash a badge to get out of a ticket". The LV officer told him that he wasn't speeding and that he was actually the slowest car in the pack. The small towner said, tell it to a judge and said he was still going to write the ticket. Finally, the LV cop asked him how much training he had on the radar and he said just what his captain had shown him. He was a young kid with little or no training. He finally decided not to write the LV cop the ticket.

He went to the academy the next month.
Old 6/10/05, 05:03 PM
Service Manager

Sounds to me like you need to be blaming the Administration of the local gov't or city council down to the chief of police rather than the cops themselves....lack of training sounds like the problem to me by your description if true and therefore the fault of those in charge rather than the "offending" officers.
Old 6/10/05, 07:33 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I have only ONCE lied to get out of a ticket... and it worked. I was hauling hiney down Whittier blvd, 2am. I pass my friends turn, and flip the u'ie, from the right lane, and proceed to haul hiney the other way. I see the lights... So, I think, how do I get outta this? (I was 21) I hit on a plan.

Pull my car over, and by the time the officer gets to my window, I am in full tears. He was caught unsuspecting, (which was odd, they normally expect that) and as soon as he saw me, crouched down and said, "Hey are you ok?" Between sobs, "N-no." He says, "Try to calm down, tell me whats going on." Me:" M-m-y boyfriend just l-l-left me, and my b-b-baby." I motion to the car seat in the back (It was empty). He looks back, and says, "Ok, you made the most illegal u-turn I have seen in years, and your speeding. Where are you going?" Me: "I am sssstaying at a fffffriends house off Colima....I mmmmmissed her turn, so I ttttturned around. I am sorry" He says, "Listen, get to her house, and dont drive while you are so upset. Your baby needs you, ok?" Never again..

Now, this is the process I follow everytime I am pulled over, about 75% of the time, I dont get a ticket. I have posted this before...

Shut off the ignition of the vehicle. (remove sunglasses if wearing them)
Place BOTH hands on the steering wheel, 11 & 1
Look the officer in the eye during the ENTIRE exchange, Say "yes sir, no sir"
BE HONEST!!! (i.e. "Do you know why I stopped you." "Yes, sir. I was speeding." We all know when we are doing it, and he knows that.
When asked for ID, etc, let the officer know where it is, before you retrieve it. i.e., "I am going to get my wallet out of my purse, and Reg out of glove box." Ladies, place your purse ON YOUR LAP, to retrieve any ID.

Never underestimate the power of SMILING, a little humor. I once got out of ticket because when asked "Do you know why you are being pulled over?" I looked him dead in the eye, laughed and said, "yep, you caught me dead to rights, I was doing 75." He said, "Hows your day going so far?" I said, "Not bad, not excited about the ticket... Hows your day?" He said, "Good. Your the nicest person I have pulled over in weeks. You slow down, and have a great rest of the day."

I know it sounds extreme, but having all kinds of LEOs around growing up, I learned the value of putting these guys AT EASE as soon as possible. If you stay relaxed, no attitude, even try to be a little nice, I would say 9 times out of 10 the stop will go much better. I have gotten reckless speeding knocked down to basic speed, heck, got caught by the same cop twice in one week (same spot) and he lectured me instead of ticketing me twice.

Of course, the BEST advice is to just pay attention to what you are doing, and dont break the law. We drive some fast cars, and yes, it is easy to be speeding if you dont watch yourself. Having these cars just means we have to be more responsible, and pay closer attention to our speedometer. I set my cruise a lot, just so I dont float over...