General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

2012 GT Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/11, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GT Reliability?

Ok so I'm not sure if this is unfounded fear or not, but I have been getting progressively more scared of buying a new Mustang lately. I feel as though I have stumbled across numerous reports describing an overall lack of reliability. Because I cannot pinpoint these fears perhaps I am being irrational.

So to the great MustangSource community, how would you rate the overall reliability of your 5.0's? Does the Mustang actually have a rather good track record? Are you sending these things to the shops constantly for small to large mechanical issues? Or do you still chalk up most complaints to just random luck of the draw? Obviously cars will have problems on occasion, but I'm not going to lie, I've been kinda poisoned by "anti-american car rhetoric", and would like to rid myself of it if it's unfounded.
Old 10/6/11, 09:31 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome!

The 5.0 is a great car. 99% of the what has been posted/reported is from a small group. I work with a few guys and gals that own 2011/2012s and they have not has a problem. To be far all companys and models will have a few bad cars or truck.

Also you get a warranty that will cover problems.
Old 10/6/11, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Only thing ive read so far was the getrag tranny give a few people some problems
Old 10/6/11, 10:21 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the replies. My fears have been calming down after it looks like a lot of the breakdown hysteria was really coming from older gen mustangs, and some complaints about the chinese manual tranny in the '11 models being abused by people with no experience using them. I plan to buy an AT and it looks like those are plenty reliable.
Old 10/6/11, 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The main problem you will have is resisting the urge to drive it all day!
Old 10/7/11, 03:20 AM
Cobra Member

Chinese manual? I thought the getrag tranny was a german company? Correct me if im wrong!
Old 10/7/11, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Getrag is a german company but the MT-82 is made in china.
Old 10/7/11, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember, you never see people start a thread saying, "My MT-82 is working fine!" or "My 2011+ 5.0L has zero issues!"

For every one person you see posting a problem thread, there are literally thousands that do not participate in forums who have no issues.

The MT-82 trans seems to be getting better. I don't know if it's Ford revising it or what. But due to an accident, I had to get my MT-82 replaced. The new one has performed flawlessly. The original one was notchy as hell and I would have problems when trying to speed shift it from 1st through 4th. Watch the end of the video in my sig to see how hard I can shift it now, even short shifting 2nd while the tires were still spinning. Which with the original trans meant a for sure, every single time 3rd grind and miss.

The #8 cylinder issues are drying up now that tuners know not to jack with the knock sensors or timing and to keep the A/F ratio in the low 12's.

Overall, there are very few complaints when compared to the number of 2011+ GT's rolling around out there.
Old 10/7/11, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

This looks to me like another one of these fishy posts.

I am shocked that so many new members join to ask about the reliability of a Mustang.

I wonder if this isn't someone conducting a survey about how Mustang owners feel about their cars...
Old 10/7/11, 08:04 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have done the same thing with mustangs and other car I have owned. Infact I did it with my 2012.
Old 10/7/11, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

https://themustangsource.com/f657/re...-gt500-500778/
Old 10/7/11, 08:28 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
This looks to me like another one of these fishy posts.

I am shocked that so many new members join to ask about the reliability of a Mustang.

I wonder if this isn't someone conducting a survey about how Mustang owners feel about their cars...
Well you have to admit, the negative PR is coming from somewhere. My wife has been ragging on me all week about driving to the dealership commenting about how horrible her ex boyfriends mustang was back in high school 10 years ago. Then I come here and before I even look, I see a couple of "I hate my Mustang" type threads so I kinda panicked. Plus every import dealership has been planting the seed for years now, telling you how to spot shoddy american construction and so forth, hence why you need to buy X Y Z.

I just came from owning 3 brand new Nissan's and they never ONCE gave me problems. It was kinda silly, literally all I did was bring them in for oil changes and nothing else. So my expectations are high. Anyway someone mentioned that for every 1 complaint, there are 10,000 others who dont bother to create an account describing how well their vehicle works. This is obviously true, and thus it's natural to only hear about that bad stuff.

P.S. I am not a corporate shill, just a concerned customer. I guess somebody took my lead and created a new GT500 reliability thread.
Old 10/7/11, 10:00 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
They're perfectly reliable. Just buy it. You'll be fine. They have a warranty for a reason. Search around, and you'll find a poll that someone started a little while ago about reliability. There's only been problems with a small percentage of owners on forums, which is an extremely small percentage of all Mustangs. The only real problem some people were having was a really loud whine coming from the driver's mouth, that seemed to get worse as they got closer to a computer.
Old 10/8/11, 07:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I will just chime in for the heck of it. Purchased in Jul 2010, Built 9 Jun 2010. Not a daily driver since I am retired, but almost. 14300+ miles and no problems. It has never used a drop of oil, no ticking noise in the engine and the MT-82 transmission has been almost flawless. It shifts hard in cold weather, until it warms up, and for that reason and that reason only, I am having the Fluid TSB done as I drive it all year. Handled great, last year, in the snow with Blizzaks all around.

No squeeks or rattles. Fit and finish is above reproach. The Red Candy Metallic paint is perfect, and believe me I looked when I waxed it the day I bought it. No orange peel, etc. I have owned numerous new cars, both foreign and domestic, and this is by far the best built one. The car has not been back to the dealer, for a repair, since the day I bought it.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 10/8/11 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10/8/11, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

To new of a car to rate reliability yet. Put some real miles on the car first. Its pretty much brand new for most people.
Old 10/9/11, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had only 6 issues with my 2005 V6- 1. Got a flat once in OH, admittedly after driving to CO, racing, and driving home on USED BFG's, no surprise there. 2. Leaking rear pass-side caliper when purchased, had 13k on the OD, replaced caliper, no repeat. 3. Driving in heavy rain, hit a huge puddle and it pushed the trans sensor plug grommet in on the harness by the trans-pan, went to limp mode the next day on start-up. Re-seated the grommet, cleaned and greased the connector and wrapped it, no repeat. 4. E-brake seized-crappy internal un-serviceable rear calipers, ended up replacing the cables and calipers at 100k, no repeat of issue yet. 5. Water leak in dash, pretty common, used seam-seal on all cowl cover inserts and a weld spot on the cowl, dry ever since. 6. Stock electric fan had a blade self-destruct. Hey it was at 100k, new fan assembly with motor and all good. Not a lot of inherent defects with the car from what I have seen in the 5 years driving year round. Snow isnt bad with the right snow tires, 120 lbs of sand in trunk and traction control. And I beat the snot out of it for three seasons of autocross. These cars are very well build, take to modding superbly and hold up! It helps that everything has been upgraded as well, :-)

Last edited by Womprat; 10/9/11 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10/9/11, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 75XX FUN(take that as you will) miles on my 5.0, It has a squeaky clutch peddle, right front shock sounds odd and a rattle in the trunk. At the end of the day I would do it ALL over again. Fun car....