Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

WAAAAAAAAY Off Topic

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/04, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I could have been lucky enough to have to pay taxes on a car that someone gave me. Besides, those people were told when they were given the car that they'd have to pay taxes on it and they could turn down the car, keep it and pay taxes on it, or sell it and make money. Not one person turned it down.
Old 11/24/04, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@November 24, 2004, 7:20 PM
Loses sight of what Grantsdale? I personally think that anything I do here in the safety of the US pales in comparison to the men and women giving thier very lives so that I can sit here safe and sound in the US.
Well, Rabbit girl, I think we have come to a milestone: I finally agree with one of your 193 or so odd post.
Old 11/24/04, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Ok. Let’s get back to reality here. Is giving a DVD player to the troops a nice gesture- Yes. But to think that Ellen is doing this purely out of the goodness of her heart is completely naïve. The marketing geniuses at the Ellen show saw what Oprah did and decided to go a step further-i.e. tie in “support for our troops” to giveaways. Heck, everyone supports our troops regardless of their views on the Iraq debacle. What does a DVD from SONY or cruises from CELEBRITY have to do with charity…not much. I hate to be Captain Obvious here, but it is all MARKETING. SONY and CELEBRITY will get massive amounts of hits on their website for this marketing ploy. Case in point, the Pontiac web site normally receives 30,000 hits in a day. In 24 hours after the Oprah car giveaway show aired, the site received 242,000 hits. Don’t think that Ellen and her marketing handlers didn’t take notice of this. People in marketing will put a price tag on anything-period. In their book this is a win-win. Everyone goes home feeling warm and fuzzy while their is a freakin' war going on.
Old 11/24/04, 05:30 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Ok... I didnt mean for this to turn out to be a huge debate.

So, Ellen makes a million bucks off it, I really dont care. Because, with the USO involved at least I know the troops are getting the packages. Beyond that, I could care less. Seriously, if she's doing it for ratings, or she is getting stuff from the sponsors that donated items.. In the grand scheme of things, is it really important? I truly believe that she is doing this out of the goodness of her heart, and she is using her show to make sure that as many people as possible find out about it. The $25 goes directly to the USO, it is the normal cost of sending a care package. Ellen used her show to spread the word about the program.

This is just my opinion, I could be wrong. --- Dennis Miller
Old 11/24/04, 05:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@November 24, 2004, 8:20 PM
Loses sight of what Grantsdale? I personally think that anything I do here in the safety of the US pales in comparison to the men and women giving thier very lives so that I can sit here safe and sound in the US.
Thats exactly what I meant. There are many people that have a big sense of self importance. Enough to be "anti-military" or "anti-war".
Old 11/24/04, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@November 24, 2004, 8:33 PM
Ok... I didnt mean for this to turn out to be a huge debate.

So, Ellen makes a million bucks off it, I really dont care. Because, with the USO involved at least I know the troops are getting the packages. Beyond that, I could care less. Seriously, if she's doing it for ratings, or she is getting stuff from the sponsors that donated items.. In the grand scheme of things, is it really important? I truly believe that she is doing this out of the goodness of her heart, and she is using her show to make sure that as many people as possible find out about it. The $25 goes directly to the USO, it is the normal cost of sending a care package. Ellen used her show to spread the word about the program.

This is just my opinion, I could be wrong. --- Dennis Miller
Yes, in my eyes it is important. Like I said in the thread, my company has donated $70000 this year. This is the first time that anyone outside of the charities and my company has heard this. If I wanted to profit from it, I could have called the media, made one of those "big checks" and had a ceremony of handing over $70,000 to a charity.

Also, if, taking your example, she is making a million dollars off of this, she really isn't giving to charity, shes making herself money. Thats why I said I don't like things like this.
Old 11/24/04, 05:54 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I just dont think that there is this big marketing ploy going on, especially since this has been approved by the White House, the DOD, and is basically just a way to get out the public the good that the USO is doing. The USO uses clebrities as a general rule, because they know that is the best, easiest way to get information out to the American public. Are saying that every celebrity that works with the USO is doing it for money and as marketing ploys???

If you dont agree, then dont donate your $25 to the cause, dont click on the sponsors websites. Really, I was just posting about something I thought was way cool, and supported. Its not the place for it anyway, since this is a car forum, and I shouldnt have posted it to begin with.
Old 11/24/04, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ellen has been doing charitable auctions through eBay almost since the very beginning of her show. Breast Cancer Research was one of recipients. No, she doesn't keep any of the money, unlike some celebs who loan their name out for $$$$ at benefits. As a matter of fact she started doing it because someone was using something she signed or whatever to make money for themselves. She was PO'd!

It was a THANKSGIVING SHOW...to show thanks and appreciation to our troops and their families. (THANK YOU ALL BTW!)

Ellen could have just put on a regular Thanksgiving themed show with the usual celebrities. Too bad she didn't give away 05 Mustangs! That would have one-uped Oprah! LOL
Old 11/24/04, 07:32 PM
GT Member

If she really wanted to do a charity show she should've given away some sorry a**ed GTOs to her audience. But alas, this would be charity for Pontiac, not a deserving group IMHO.
Old 11/25/04, 08:28 AM
Queen Of Nascar

All I have to say is, Way to Go Ellen and thanks also from the bottom of my heart for "anything" in support of our troops. If I had it my way I would say New Mustangs for ALL returning troops!

Happy Thanksgiving to all. :usa: