Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The last bullit you will ever need

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/14, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I worked in a gun shop just outside Detroit for a while. Not sure which was worse; the idiot coworkers spouting crap, the customers spouting crap (and having to agree to play nice) or all the people who couldn't pass a background check.
Been there, done that, Joey, and I'm right there with you. What is it about guns that makes so many idjits want to appear to be walking encyclopedias on the subject?
Old 6/29/14, 10:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
Maybe my Kimber is the exception but I've never had one hiccup with it that I can remember. Now a days there's quit a few manufactures out there doing it right and offer something right out of the box that you can bet your life on. I've never been a fan of the Glock for some reason or another, I do hear lots of good things about them tho. I'm no pro but I have been around guns most of my life.
How old is your kimber? Older kimbers have always impressed me. As they became more popular, the quality control seems to have dropped off. I have fired amazing newer ones and some that seemed to jam all the time.
Old 6/29/14, 11:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
How old is your kimber? Older kimbers have always impressed me. As they became more popular, the quality control seems to have dropped off. I have fired amazing newer ones and some that seemed to jam all the time.
This. I've owned three newer Kimbers and every single one was a jam-o-matic.

I've never bothered with the older ones as they're too expensive for my tastes.
Old 6/30/14, 01:30 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V

fwiw, (officer) Treadhead pointed out that not using a firm grip can sometimes cause a stovepipe. Your wrist is absorbing some of the action the slide needs to eject the spent cartridge. I am very comfortable shooting a .45 - perhaps too comfortable. I am going to pay more attention to this because I have had a few stovepipes the last time out. Whereas I didn't before. (Could be a change in ammo too though.)
Just another thing to be aware of.
Old 6/30/14, 05:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I have a Colt Defender that I shoot sometimes and if I don't maintain my grip, I'll get stovepipes every time. Maintain the grip and it does fine.

I have fired Kimbers before and I like them, but they're pricey for me (not a fanboy of handguns). Never had one jam on me though.
Old 6/30/14, 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Mine is at least 10 years old. With just about every gun I buy I try to find a gun mag article on its test firing. They usually find a few of the rounds the weapon is happiest shooting. I think different ammos will jam/stovepipe in one gun and not the other. If you have a gun that is constantly stove piping the first thing I would do is try a different brand of ammo
Old 7/3/14, 12:20 PM
Post *****

Army wants a harder-hitting pistol

By Matthew *** Published July 03, 2014

The U.S. Army is moving forward to replace the Cold War-era M9 9mm pistol with a more powerful handgun that also meets the needs of the other services.
As the lead agent for small arms, the Army will hold an industry day July 29 to talk to gun makers about the joint, Modular Handgun System or MHS.
The MHS would replace the Army's inventory of more than 200,000 outdated M9 pistols and several thousand M11 9mm pistols with one that has greater accuracy, lethality, reliability and durability, according to Daryl Easlick, a project officer with the Army's Maneuver Center of Excellence at Fort Benning, Georgia.

Army weapons officials maintain that combat troops need a more effective pistol and ammunition. But experts from the law-enforcement and competitive shooting worlds argue that tactical pistol ammunition -- no matter the caliber -- is incapable of stopping a determined adversary without multiple shots in most cases.
One of the major goals of the MHS effort is to adopt a pistol chambered for a more potent round than the current 9mm, weapons officials said. The U.S. military replaced the .45 caliber 1911 pistol with the M9 in 1985 and began using the 9mm NATO round at that time.

Soldiers who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan have complained that the 9mm round is not powerful enough to be effective in combat.

"The 9mm doesn't score high with soldier feedback," said Easlick, explaining that the Army, and the other services, want a round that will have better terminal effects -- or cause more damage -- when it hits enemy combatants. "We have to do better than our current 9mm."

The MHS will be an open-caliber competition that will evaluate larger rounds such as .357 Sig, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

The FBI and several major police departments recently decided to return to using the 9mm round after finding that .40 caliber ammunition was causing excessive wear on its service pistols. The heavier bullet and greater recoil over time resulted in frame damage to well respected makes such as Glock and Beretta, according to Ernest Langdon, a shooting instructor and respected competitive pistol shooter who has worked for gun makers such as Beretta, Smith & Wesson, and Sig Sauer.

"Most of the guns in .40 caliber on the market right now were actually designed to be 9mm originally and then turned into .40 calibers later," Langdon told Military.com.

Langdon served 12 years in the Marine Corps where he was the chief instructor of the Second Marine Division Scout Sniper School and the High Risk Personnel Course. He's been a competitive pistol shooter for 15 years where he has won competitions in the International Defensive Pistol Association and two World Speed Shooting titles.
Larger calibers, such as .40 S&W, have significantly more recoil than the 9mm making them much harder for the average shooter to shoot accurately, he said.

"I don't think anybody would argue that shot placement is the most important for terminal ballistics," Langdon said. "Even though you say a .45 is better than a 9mm, it's still a pistol caliber. Chances are if it is a determined adversary, they are going to have to be shot multiple times regardless of the caliber."
Many law-enforcement shooting incidents have shown this to be reality, he said.
"I talked to a Chicago cop that shot a guy eight times with a .45 to kill him and that was a 230 grain Hydra-Shok," Langdon said. "And that guy now carries a 9mm …he realized that handgun bullets suck. "You have to shoot people a lot with a handgun."

"We have got an old fleet of M9s right now; it's costing us more to replace and repair M9s than it would cost to go get a new handgun," he said.

Army officials, however, say the M9 does not meet the MHS requirement.
"The M9 doesn't meet it for a multitude of reasons," Easlick said. "It's got reliability issues; the open slide design allows contaminates in. The slide-mounted safety doesn't do well when you are trying to clear a stoppage -- you inadvertently de-**** and safe the weapon system."
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/07/...ntcmp=features
Old 7/3/14, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Army wants a harder-hitting pistol
"The Army Wants to Spend Money" Fixd that for you. Look at all the programs that millions were sunk into and went absolutely nowhere. Individual Carbine Comp, Camo, etc.

Also, the M9 is well regarded as crap, and military is pretty handicapped with the inability to use hollowpoints.

Last edited by narphenal; 7/3/14 at 12:27 PM.
Old 7/3/14, 12:30 PM
Cobra R Member

There's nothing wrong with the 9mm, it's that they have to use crap ball ammo which is useless. That's about the only time bigger (handgun) calibers are better...it's a shame they're stuck with crap ammo all around.

Never did like the M9, although from what I gather most failures are due to awful mags provided by some supplier who didn't give a ****. They seem to work OK with proper magazines, even in adverse conditions.

If they were smart they'd switch to Glock, or M&P if they care to keep things at home. And keep it 9mm once they figure out that a .45 ACP ain't gonna do a whole lot better at killing things, but you get a lot less in the magazine.

I also hope some jack **** in the brass doesn't get a hard on over the .357 sig, or otherwise chooses a caliber based on how wet it makes him. I always cringe when I see cops or military carrying crap guns/ammo because someone who's never been in a fight thinks it's the best thing ever.

Also, the .357 sig isn't a "larger round". It uses a 9mm bullet, just with more velocity.
Old 7/6/14, 04:43 PM
Post *****

I don't understand why stores still don't have any .22 rounds in stock. Been keeping my eyes open in store after store.
But you can buy boatloads online for .10 - .11 cents a piece in bulk.
If individuals and small gun shops can get quantity to sell online why can't the chains put some on their shelves? Have to watch online sellers though so they don't gouge on freight.
Other pistol ammo is starting to show up in some stores and prices are coming down a bit finally.
Old 7/6/14, 04:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Because everyone is still going crazy and buying everything off the shelves just because. I bet half don't even own a gun that shoots the ammo they're buying. They're either preparing for the apocalypse (I hear having ammo you can't shoot is good for those sorts of things) or for resale.
Old 7/6/14, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone hear of the only lead smelting plant in the US that is getting shut down because of the EPA? Yay, they did't take our guns, but they took the fuel from them.
Old 7/6/14, 10:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by KushBandit
Anyone hear of the only lead smelting plant in the US that is getting shut down because of the EPA? Yay, they did't take our guns, but they took the fuel from them.
Yes, however from what I understand little to none of the lead used by the ammunition industry even comes from any plant here in the US. So it's not really effecting anything ammo-wise.
Old 7/6/14, 11:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, however from what I understand little to none of the lead used by the ammunition industry even comes from any plant here in the US. So it's not really effecting anything ammo-wise.
Actually, the ammo manufacturers use recycled lead here in the US. The recycled lead comes from everyday things like tire weights, car batteries, etc. which are initially made with fresh lead bullion's.

I doubt the lead plant closing is really gonna impact the ammunition market, but it does make you wonder if Big Brother is tip toeing into quasi-gun control.
Old 7/8/14, 02:26 PM
Post *****

An ammo bot

http://www.gunbot.net/
Old 7/14/14, 02:38 PM
Post *****

‘Smart’ bullets aim to create ultimate sniper’s rifle

Published July 14, 2014

‘Smart’ bullets look set to join guided missiles in the military’s growing arsenal of high-tech weapons.
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) recently conducted its first successful live-fire tests of 0.50-caliber bullets capable of “in-flight guidance.” This means that even if a sniper’s aim is off, the bullets can still reach their intended target.

Part of DARPA’s Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance (EXACTO) program, the specially designed bullets are tracked and directed to their target by an optical guidance system. The system compensates for factors such as weather, wind and target movement, according to DARPA.
A video posted on the DARPA website shows a round heading towards a rifle aim point, then maneuvering in mid-flight to hit its intended target.
Funded by DARPA, EXACTO is being developed by Thousand Oaks, California.-based Teledyne Scientific and Imaging. The program aims to revolutionize rifle accuracy.
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/07/...snipers-rifle/
Old 9/23/14, 12:38 AM
Post *****

Ringin the bell at 680 yds:

Old 9/23/14, 01:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Look up the videos of people hitting targets at 1000+ yards with old WW2 bolt action rifles. I'm too lazy to bother finding them but there's a few out there. Real cool stuff. My favorite is the guy hitting a piece of steel from so far away you can barely see it without the camera zooming in....and he does it with a Swiss K31 and open sights.
Old 9/23/14, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look up the videos of people hitting targets at 1000+ yards with old WW2 bolt action rifles. I'm too lazy to bother finding them but there's a few out there. Real cool stuff. My favorite is the guy hitting a piece of steel from so far away you can barely see it without the camera zooming in....and he does it with a Swiss K31 and open sights.
What Joey said ... I have an original issue WWII Japanese Arisaka Type 99 bolt action rifle in 7.7mm caliber. Surprisingly accurate with its open sights at 500 yards, which is the limit for my eyesight. Too bad quality ammo is so expensive, otherwise I’d like to shoot it more often.
Old 9/23/14, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by silverstate777
What Joey said ... I have an original issue WWII Japanese Arisaka Type 99 bolt action rifle in 7.7mm caliber. Surprisingly accurate with its open sights at 500 yards, which is the limit for my eyesight. Too bad quality ammo is so expensive, otherwise I’d like to shoot it more often.
Time to start reloading.

Quick Reply: The last bullit you will ever need