Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

I ate a banana this morning

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/08, 05:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I ate a banana this morning

and I will be eating an apple later......

Banana is the common name for a fruit and also the herbaceous plants of the genus Musa which produce the commonly eaten fruit. They are native to the tropical region of Southeast Asia and Australia. Today, they are cultivated throughout the tropics.[1]

Banana plants are of the family Musaceae. They are cultivated primarily for their fruit, and to a lesser extent for the production of fibre and as ornamental plants. As the bananas are mainly tall, upright, and fairly sturdy, they are often mistaken for trees, when the truth is the main or upright stem is called a pseudostem, literally meaning "fake stem", which for some species can obtain a height of up to 2–8 m, with leaves of up to 3.5 m in length. Each pseudostem can produce a bunch of yellow, green, or even red bananas before dying and being replaced by another pseudostem.

The banana fruit grow in hanging clusters, with up to 20 fruit to a tier (called a hand), and 3-20 tiers to a bunch. The total of the hanging clusters is known as a bunch, or commercially as a "banana stem", and can weigh from 30–50 kg. The fruit averages 125 g, of which approximately 75% is water and 25% dry matter content. Each individual fruit (known as a banana or 'finger') has a protective outer layer (a peel or skin) with a fleshy edible inner portion. Both skin and inner part can be eaten raw or cooked. Western cultures generally eat the inside raw and throw away the skin while some Asian cultures generally eat both the skin and inside cooked. Typically, the fruit has numerous strings (called 'phloem bundles') which run between the skin and inner part. Bananas are a valuable source of vitamin B6, vitamin C, and potassium.

Bananas are grown in at least 107 countries.[2] In popular culture and commerce, "banana" usually refers to soft, sweet "dessert" bananas. The bananas from a group of cultivars with firmer, starchier fruit are called plantains. Bananas may also be cut and dried and eaten as a type of chip. Dried bananas are also ground into banana flour.

Although the wild species have fruits with numerous large, hard seeds, virtually all culinary bananas have seedless fruits. Bananas are classified either as dessert bananas (meaning they are yellow and fully ripe when eaten) or as green cooking bananas. Almost all export bananas are of the dessert types; however, only about 10-15% of all production is for export, with the United States and European Union being the dominant buyers

Here are a few more
Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it the perfect food for helping to beat blood pressure.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin � known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body so if you suffer from heart-burn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer, trypotophan.

Smoking: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking, as the high levels of Vitamin C, A1, B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalise the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body�s water-balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be re-balanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

That is all
Old 8/4/08, 11:20 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks Glenn, im buying some on teh way home now
Old 8/4/08, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome. This came just in time, actually, because I just began eating bananas (after 25 years of hating them).

My irrelevant story: Ever since I was a child, I've always hated bananas - the way they taste, smell, etc. But I would always see people enjoying bananas so deliciously, that I would want to try one - and every few years, I would. But it would be disgusting and I would give up after the first bite. And then I would forget how much I hate bananas over the years, see people enjoying them, try them, hate them, etc, and repeat. (I tried one banana about once every 3-5 years throughout my life, in this way)

A couple months ago, I was on an international flight where they served Phillipines bananas (I think they may be smaller/sweeter than normal).. it had been a few years since I last tried/hated a banana, so I gave it a chance. It was delicious.

Ever since then, I've been buying 3 hands of bananas at the grocery store each time I go (about 1-2 times a week). And I've been eating about 3-8 a day, usually in one sitting. I can't control myself anymore and I'm addicted to bananas now. God, they're so delicious.

This is very useful information. I'm just learning about bananas.. just learned the bunches were called "hands" last week. Great post. Thanks.
Old 8/4/08, 12:35 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
i`m having one even as we speak .. iv`e been on a health kick since last september and bananas and other fruits have been my sweets .. i eat mine with peanut butter though
Old 8/4/08, 12:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I eat my sideways
Old 8/4/08, 03:15 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I only knew some of that stuff. thanks Glenn
Old 8/4/08, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not "allowed" to eat them. I take potassium pills and they mess up the amount of potassium I have (such a thing as too much I guess). Too bad for me because I love bananas, especially bananas flambe, mmmmmmmm now there's a banana treat for ya

Old 8/4/08, 03:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Thanks Glenn. Now I'm in the mood for a Banana Banshee.

http://recipes.bartender.com/blender...na-banshee.htm

Last edited by GrnT; 8/4/08 at 03:28 PM.
Old 8/4/08, 03:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
I'm not "allowed" to eat them. I take potassium pills and they mess up the amount of potassium I have (such a thing as too much I guess). Too bad for me because I love bananas, especially bananas flambe, mmmmmmmm now there's a banana treat for ya

skip the pill eat a banana??
Old 8/4/08, 07:28 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
mmm, bananas!
Old 8/5/08, 10:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Chocolate coverd bananas with or without nut . kinda good
Old 8/5/08, 12:44 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by HOSS429
i`m having one even as we speak .. iv`e been on a health kick since last september and bananas and other fruits have been my sweets .. i eat mine with peanut butter though
again i say
Old 8/5/08, 01:42 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Banana Cream Pie sounds good right now
Old 8/6/08, 09:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Jello cocoanut cream pudding with banana in it, and maybe some whip cream & strawberries