Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Crazy Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/08, 02:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u call this crazy... don't come to Europe...
Old 9/12/08, 09:13 AM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by karman
How can it possibly go to $2 ?
It wasn't at $2 last year when oil was $80 a barrel.
$2.15 a gallon with crude oil showing a corrected $73 per barrel in January 2007. I think that's pretty dang close to $2.00 a gallon. Information from historical charts at eia.doe.gov.

The experts agree it will stay above the $80 level.
http://news.tradingcharts.com/future...113446045.html
At this point predictions mean nothing because the same people squawking have a financial interest in its well being. They predicted $6 a gallon gas by then end of summer. Then they predicted crude oil wouldn't drop below $110 a barrel (and it closed at $101 yesterday). The only reason crude oil and gas is going up right now is due to Ike. Gas here in northern Alabama jumped $0.25 overnight. Why? Because it can, not because of an immediate shortage. When Ike makes landfall and doesn't do near the amount of damage as they are predicting (God willing!) gas will stay artificially high for at least a month.
Old 9/12/08, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jgsmuzzy
Stop your whinging. Even with the $ strengthening over the past 3 weeks we are still paying $7.15 a gallon (us). Luckily, my Jeep runs on LPG, so costs $3.60 a gallon!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by StangRalle
u call this crazy... don't come to Europe...
...and Europe has a mass transit system that is so far advanced from ours it makes the US look like North Korea.
Old 9/12/08, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Sendero
...and Europe has a mass transit system that is so far advanced from ours it makes the US look like North Korea.
Old 9/12/08, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by codeman94
anyone else hear that the Saudis pulled out of OPEC yesterday?...apparently they want to keep production levels up while OPEC wants to cut production....so the Saudis said up yours.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/to...th%20of%20opec
While I like what I see it may have just been a publicity stunt:

Daily Times

Originally Posted by S Arabia reluctantly agrees to mild cut in oil output
KUWAIT CITY: Under pressure from OPEC price hawks, Saudi Arabia reluctantly agreed to a mild cut in oil output, but the world’s top exporter will do what it takes to keep the market balanced, analysts said on Thursday.

“I don’t think Saudi Arabia will cut output unless it is necessary. It has been the leader in stabilising prices and striking a balance in the market,” Kuwaiti analyst Kamel al-Harami said. “I don’t expect other OPEC members to cut either and the most likely scenario is that they will wait until the December meeting to take a ‘final’ decision,” Harami told AFP.

The kingdom, which pumps one-third of OPEC production, is caught between the organisation’s hawks pressing for deeper cuts to shore up falling prices and US-led Western consumers demanding more supplies, analysts said. Following a marathon meeting on Tuesday, the oil producer cartel sprang a surprise by deciding to cut crude production by 520,000 barrels per day (bpd).

The cut will not affect official output quotas of member countries, currently at 28.8 million bpd, but aims at taking extra production off the market. Most countries have been overproducing, Harami said, and to implement the decision all of them would have to reduce output.

Ahead of the meeting, Saudi Oil Minister Ali al-Nuaimi said the oil market was “fairly well balanced,” giving the impression that production levels would remain unchanged. Traditional price hawks Iran and Venezuela led calls for a production cut and were assisted by Algeria and Libya.

“Yes. The kingdom came under pressure ... but the 520,000 bpd cut will not have a major impact on prices, because there is up to two million bpd of surplus crude on the market,” Saudi economist Ali al-Dakkak said.

The United States immediately criticised the decision, with White House spokeswoman Dana Perino saying: “We would like to see more oil on the market, not less.”

Dakkak, head of Al-Dakkak Economic Studies House, told AFP that “Saudi Arabian oil policy has been for some time based on striking a balance between the two sides, taking into account market conditions and prices. “When there is a shortage in supplies, Riyadh boosts production, and vice versa,” he said.

The kingdom raised its output by 500,000 bpd in May and June when the oil price was rising rapidly. In August, it pumped 9.45 million bpd, far above its 8.94 million bpd quota, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).

Oil prices topped a record $147 in July but have since fallen some 30 percent, dropping below the symbolic $100 mark for the first time in five months on Tuesday, as the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries was meeting in Vienna.

Dakkak said he believes the Saudi acceptance of the mild cut has satisfied all sides and avoided a price battle with OPEC hawks.

“The Saudi approval satisfied all parties in OPEC as well as consumers. Saudi Arabia does not want to enter into a price war with some OPEC members,” he said.

The decision was also necessitated by fears that oil prices could collapse because of excess supply. OPEC is still haunted by the price collapse of the late 1990s when oil prices crashed from around $20 a barrel to just $8. “There is a real fear that oil prices could collapse because supply is more than demand. Though Saudi Arabia can sustain a sharp drop in prices, it is looking for an objective price of 90-95 dollars a barrel,” Dakkak said. afp
There's that whole supply and demand thing again.
Old 9/12/08, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

Hmmm...no Hurricane Ike in Canada but we wake up to a price jump of 13 cents a litre. The average price in Edmonton today being $137.4 per litre or $6.87 per gallon. It seems whenever there is a weather problem or conflict in the world that is justification for the oil companies to jack up the price. Funny thing is oil is pumped out of the ground in Alberta and we have some refineries here also but we are stuck with these insane prices. Just venting.
Old 9/12/08, 12:53 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
xxxx

Last edited by HOSS429; 9/12/08 at 01:43 PM. Reason: wrong
Old 9/12/08, 01:57 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
so yeah gas has gone up over 50cents today in bham. possibly more before i can finish typing this and by the time i leave today at 5... gouging anyone?

Also to note, people are in panic mode. ive heard of numerous gas stations that are completely out now. Hell were not even getting close to ike!
Old 9/12/08, 02:36 PM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
so yeah gas has gone up over 50cents today in bham. possibly more before i can finish typing this and by the time i leave today at 5... gouging anyone?

Also to note, people are in panic mode. ive heard of numerous gas stations that are completely out now. Hell were not even getting close to ike!

Yeah, I'd like to slap these gougers into next year already! The gas in their tanks is still the $3.54/gallon gas.....this is PURE gouging!!!!
Old 9/14/08, 12:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sendero
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maybe on the continent, but certainly not in the UK. Our public transport system is shocking!
Old 9/14/08, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jgsmuzzy
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maybe on the continent, but certainly not in the UK. Our public transport system is shocking!
+1
Old 9/15/08, 06:14 AM

Woo Hoo! Crude Oil opened at $99.05 per barrel and it's now $95.54! Keep on falling baby, keep on falling.

Too bad Ike is going to keep gas artificially high for a few weeks (crosses fingers).
Old 9/15/08, 07:07 AM
Service Manager

Don't worry....the Cartel will do EVERYTHING they can to get the price back up
Old 9/15/08, 07:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just saw on Yahoo where oil dropped to around $94 a barrel because Ike did little to no damage to the Texas refineries.
Old 9/15/08, 08:10 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am just tired of the gouging. Price of oil goes down yet gas doesn't. People speculate that something may impact the refineries and gas goes up again. I wish I could run my business that way. "yes, my normal rate is $50.00/hour but I heard that next week it might be really nice out and I will want to just sit outside so I am going to charge you $80.00/hour so I can make up for the time that I don't want to work".
Old 9/15/08, 10:19 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I am just tired of the gouging. Price of oil goes down yet gas doesn't. People speculate that something may impact the refineries and gas goes up again. I wish I could run my business that way. "yes, my normal rate is $50.00/hour but I heard that next week it might be really nice out and I will want to just sit outside so I am going to charge you $80.00/hour so I can make up for the time that I don't want to work".

You know, that is the BEST example I have ever heard! I am going to use that.....Next time it's forcasted to be nice weather I think my labor rates will go up to $150/hour. After all, cooler weather is coming and it's a nice that time of year!
Old 9/15/08, 10:47 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by svopaul
You know, that is the BEST example I have ever heard! I am going to use that.....Next time it's forcasted to be nice weather I think my labor rates will go up to $150/hour. After all, cooler weather is coming and it's a nice that time of year!
Forgot to mention you should also add "Just in case the weather is not nice and it rains......oh well, you don't get a refund. **** happens."
Old 9/15/08, 04:30 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
that is a fantastic example
SC's governor has finally done something good, he's urged us to call in stations that we suspect are price gouging, and they'll face a minimum fine of $10k
Old 9/16/08, 06:16 AM

Crude Oil opened at $94.23. Could we see sub $90 crude by close? ($91.03 right now) I don't think it would be a far stretch! Now if we could just get the refineries back online...
Old 9/16/08, 08:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
as soon as the hurricane started we went up 12 cents a litre so from 138.9 to now 149.9 Govt lining thier pockets

Quick Reply: Crazy Gas Prices