Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Crazy Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/08, 07:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Crazy Gas Prices

I was driving down the road today and an Arco station had premium fuel (91 octane) for $3.99.9, a block futher and a Chevron had it for $4.24.9 and another block a Shell station had it for $4.49.9!!!!

are these other 2 stations thinking? Are they getting screwed that badly by their vendors or are they trying just screw us? BTW the Arco station was packed, the Chervon station had 1 car and the Shell station had 0.

I think they can drop the 9/10 now. It's pretty lame that they still do that.
Old 4/29/08, 07:04 PM
I lust for a M24

Kali gas prices are :crazy:

$3.49 at the BP on my way into work today, $3.69 at the same station on my way out of work.

Not as bad as there, but still brutal.
Old 4/29/08, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the prices are getting crazy for us Americans. I have yet to fully understand how they can change the price in the middle of the day for the same gas that was in the ground this morning.
Old 4/29/08, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fryguy
the prices are getting crazy for us Americans. I have yet to fully understand how they can change the price in the middle of the day for the same gas that was in the ground this morning.

Capatalist! (sp)

Edit:Making more money on cheaper gas! Before the price increase hits them!

Last edited by Rapture; 4/29/08 at 07:39 PM.
Old 4/29/08, 08:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Rich, I think you remember as well as I do what it was like back in the mid-70s.
If a station had gas they might bump the price 10 cents or more.
There was a station down in Boston that was charging an outrageous 99 cents a gallon!!!
Now they all have gas, but they are scared to death what the next delivery will cost.
Old 4/29/08, 08:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

I remember the gas rationing days of the 70's and then it was because of a "gas shortage". Now it's because the oil companies are money hungry ****** who are ripping off the public for obsence profits.
Old 4/29/08, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Not to mention they say every year that they don't set the price of oil per gallon, and that they raise their prices only according to the market. If that's true, why are they recording record profits year after year? Smells like BS, and without much of an attempt to disguise it.

One of the things I love about energy conscious vehicles is just the chance to give oil companies the bird, since my inefficient government won't seem to do squat about it except to look for more oil to sell me at insane prices and then give it to oil companies at a pittance. Grr...
Old 4/29/08, 10:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Hey Rich, I didn't think anybody could make me chuckle when talking about the price of gas, but you just did. I agree with you. 9/10. How silly.

BTW, we got our Mustang back from California Color today. She looks great. ~ Ed
Old 4/29/08, 10:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Good deal Ed! You know mine is for sale, right?
Old 4/30/08, 03:00 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$4.00 here is Wisconsin.

Man, Yugo sounds so good now ...
Old 4/30/08, 04:02 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I remember the gas rationing days of the 70's and then it was because of a "gas shortage". Now it's because the oil companies are money hungry ****** who are ripping off the public for obscene profits.
"Gas shortage"
Yeah right, the oil companies were just unprepared for the Arabs to cut back on the cheapest oil they could get. They had plenty of oil, they had just shut off too many of the wells that cost more to pump. It took them a while to get things going again and were able to raise the price easily afterwards.
So back then the oil companies were money hungry ****** who were ripping off the public for obscene profits.
Now they are money hungry ****** who are trying to figure out how to keep the gravy train going when they have to pay $120 a barrel for crude and the public is working hard to find more ways to use less oil than ever before.
Old 4/30/08, 08:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Here on Puerto Rico the cheapest I've seen is $.90 per liter on reg and they were just receiving a fuel truck just now. I've refueled earlier on another station and they were out of reg, at $.93, so I had no choice but using prem at $.97, $3.88 gal, so were very close at the prices you have over there.

Last edited by edumspeed; 4/30/08 at 08:21 PM.
Old 4/30/08, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

.93 a liter WTF WTF WTF. im in vancouver and im paying 1.31 for regular and 1.40 for premium. F it F it all to hell
Old 5/1/08, 12:54 PM
V6 Member

I was driving down the road today and an Arco station had premium fuel (91 octane) for $3.99.9, a block futher and a Chevron had it for $4.24.9 and another block a Shell station had it for $4.49.9!!!!

are these other 2 stations thinking? Are they getting screwed that badly by their vendors or are they trying just screw us? BTW the Arco station was packed, the Chervon station had 1 car and the Shell station had 0.

actually those knuckleheads at the Arco station are ruining their engines! I used to go to arco and noticed after using their gas for about a year, lots of pings. A friend of mine recommended either chevron, 76 Unocal or Shell.

I live in socal and can't believe the gas prices...there is this one town in central cali between Santa Barbara and LA called Gordo which was on the news...that idiot owner was charging like $5-6 a gallon for 87 octane because he was the only station within a 60 mile radius! Bastard!!
Old 5/1/08, 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by karman
"Gas shortage"
Yeah right, the oil companies were just unprepared for the Arabs to cut back on the cheapest oil they could get. They had plenty of oil, they had just shut off too many of the wells that cost more to pump. It took them a while to get things going again and were able to raise the price easily afterwards.
So back then the oil companies were money hungry ****** who were ripping off the public for obscene profits.
Now they are money hungry ****** who are trying to figure out how to keep the gravy train going when they have to pay $120 a barrel for crude and the public is working hard to find more ways to use less oil than ever before.
The oil right now is being manipulated. I remember when they were struggling in the late 80's to early 90's. Oil was $10 a barrel and many companies were losing money and merging. Small gas stations struggling. Now we have to pay the piper. If the masses continue to say "we can't do anything about it" they will keep raising this until we cry uncle. There is a trend every year where they raise the price and back down a bit. The following year they do the same. They blame it on natural disasters, high demand and etc.
This year they are listening to the media as they do every year where the gas will hit. They will try to reach that point and back down a bit. Rinse and repeat. Like you say there is plenty of oil. To people who say invest in oil, good luck.
Old 5/1/08, 03:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm watching the news now and they just reported that Exxon-Mobil made $10.9 BILLION dollars PROFIT for the first QUARTER.
Old 5/1/08, 04:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are some interesting notes in history:

"The last refinery to be completed in the United States was in 1976"

"Refiners spent $9 billion from 2002 to 2006 to make low sulfur diesel. But producing these cleaner fuels means processing crude oil more intensely through the refining process, at higher pressures and temperatures. This, in turn, leads to more chances for glitches or breakdowns, refiners say."

"There is a lack of investments in modern equipment," Merritt said.

When you take these into consideration and the increase in US demand for gasoline - it is just amazing that we are not paying more.

---------------

There are two ways to really cure the gas prices - reduce demand by using more fuel efficient vehicles (this also means that the consumer must demand these from the manufactures) or build more oil refineries so that we can produce more gasoline.
Old 5/1/08, 11:17 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^yes, that sounds good, but with a monopoly, the oil companies will still charge, and there's nothing we can do about it really. The only viable means of reducing prices for a long term, is by eliminating the monopoly and work on alternative fuels, battery power, hydrogen, ethanol (even if it is 15% oil), etc
Old 5/2/08, 01:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fryguy
There are two ways to really cure the gas prices - reduce demand by using more fuel efficient vehicles (this also means that the consumer must demand these from the manufactures) or build more oil refineries so that we can produce more gasoline.
Until there are readily available alternatives to gasoline, prices will continue to go up... Even moreso with more fuel efficient vehicles. I believe the whole supply & demand ecomony is a good starting point, but our country is pretty dependant on gas. This eliminates the need for a "demand" curve as it is static, so they will supply however much they want at whatever price they want. People have to get to work, and there are a lot of parts of the country where public transportation will not work.
Old 5/2/08, 06:40 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I just love all the emails that go around about "don't buy gas from here on this day" or the "don't buy gas from the top two ever". It all comes down to demand. They raised the price hoping it would lower demand but it didn't so the price will just keep rising until people finally realize that they need to come up with a way to stop wasting so much fuel. Is it really necessary to drive the car 1 block to the corner store to get a loaf of bread, not really.

I just read a report that showed that in Canada, the price of gas should be 79 cents a litre. However, right now we are paying $1.23/litre. The price is expected to go up to $1.80-$2.00 by the end of the summer.

Quick Reply: Crazy Gas Prices