General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

You can't fix stupid in Camp Camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/12, 08:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MARZ
Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember any high-profile Ford executives or engineers trashing GM, even despite the myriad of bad news with GM in the subject line over the past couple years (the Camaro being dead from 2002-10; GM's bankruptcy -- maybe they should have run their "how to run a company and keep from going bankrupt" simulations; the huge flop that is the Volt -- take your pick).
Jim Farley had some smackdown words...look here.
Old 1/22/12, 09:24 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Jim Farley had some smackdown words...look here.
Yeah, I forgot about that one, though, wasn't Mr. Farley actually responding to GM CEO Akerson's, "Well, I might as well tell you, you might as well sprinkle holy water. It's over," in commenting on the Lincoln brand's future? This may sound like backpedaling on my part because you shot holes through a portion of my argument but, again, Al Oppenheiser's seemingly unprovoked, bi-weekly trash talk of the upcoming GT500 really bothers me because it just reeks of pathetic excuse-making and political rhetoric. A Ford exec quoted in a book saying "F**k GM," while pretty nasty depending on the context, just doesn't have the same impact, at least with me, especially if Farley was, in fact, responding to GM CEO's Akerson's comment.

Last edited by MARZ; 1/22/12 at 11:22 AM.
Old 1/22/12, 11:34 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
How about that -- a Chevy exec doing some serious bench racing, with powerpoint and everything!
Old 1/22/12, 01:32 PM
Cobra R Member

With proper gearing, bigger tires, superior tires, better suspension (MRE, IRS), arguably featuring a better launch system, the ability to overcome GT500's 100hp and 200lbs is plausible...

There's so many variables when playing with this amount of HP...

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 1/22/12 at 01:34 PM.
Old 1/22/12, 02:16 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
With proper gearing, bigger tires, superior tires, better suspension (MRE, IRS), arguably featuring a better launch system, the ability to overcome GT500's 100hp and 200lbs is plausible...

There's so many variables when playing with this amount of HP...
You're probably right in that wringing out the most from either of these cars will depend on the the respective drivers' competence behind the wheel, but the initial test from Motor Trend shows the ZL1 being marginally quicker in terms of acceleration -- and I'm only referring to all-out acceleration here -- than the current, 550-horse GT500. Car and Driver and Automobile have the ZL1 and 550-hp GT500 being pretty equal in terms of accelerative performance, with the more-powerful, presumably-easier-to-launch ZL1 being quicker in the 1/4 mile. Why do you think Al Oppenheiser released his "simulations" statement when he did? No one knows much about the 2013 GT500, yet. Those who've ridden in the test cars (Overboost, Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords' Evan Tanner) confirm the car does, in fact, hook up thanks to the implementation of launch- and updated traction control systems. Until head-to-head tests are performed, all we have are educated guesses.
Old 1/22/12, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about that one, though, wasn't Mr. Farley actually responding to GM CEO Akerson's, "Well, I might as well tell you, you might as well sprinkle holy water. It's over," in commenting on the Lincoln brand's future? This may sound like backpedaling on my part because you shot holes through a portion of my argument but, again, Al Oppenheiser's seemingly unprovoked, bi-weekly trash talk of the upcoming GT500 really bothers me because it just reeks of pathetic excuse-making and political rhetoric. A Ford exec quoted in a book saying "F**k GM," while pretty nasty depending on the context, just doesn't have the same impact, at least with me, especially if Farley was, in fact, responding to GM CEO's Akerson's comment.
From what I've read, I am not sure it was direct response to that situation. Whether it is "tongue-in-cheek" or BS'ing, it does at least mean each company recognizes their competition to the extent that perhaps we the consumer get better cars.
Old 1/23/12, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

http://jalopnik.com/5878422/2012-che...l1-first-drive
and a quote from that article - it's the editor's note...
Full Disclosure: Chevy couldn't have given a rat's *** if I drove the ZL1 or not, but they wanted somebody from Jalopnik there and I accepted the call. They flew me out and put up me at an Indian-themed resort in Phoenix, Arizona, where I drank every free Old Fashioned I could find.
hmmmmmmmmm..... -____-
Old 1/23/12, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
The non-stop crap talk and excuses from the Camaro contingent since Ford announced the specifications for the 2013 GT500 doesn't bother me because fanboys will be fanboys. We heard it all before when Ford announced the 2011 Mustang 5.0L; the head-to-head reviews and performance specifications paint a picture completely different from what the Chevy crowd would have had you believe initially, you know, with the Camaro featuring the bigger, more-powerful engine, "superior" IRS, blah blah. However, when the source of the rhetoric is a high-profile GM executive like Al Oppenheiser, it just sounds pathetic, in my opinion. If your car's really so great, Al, let its performance speak for itself ("simulations"? Really??) Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember any high-profile Ford executives or engineers trashing GM, even despite the myriad of bad news with GM in the subject line over the past couple years (the Camaro being dead from 2002-10; GM's bankruptcy -- maybe they should have run their "how to run a company and keep from going bankrupt" simulations; the huge flop that is the Volt -- take your pick). Ford Mustang fans should thank GM for making the Camaro? The Camaro wouldn't exist if not for the Mustang, both initially and in its new, two-ton modern iteration. And, congratulations to Chevy for outselling a Mustang that has looked pretty much the same since MY 2005. While not the sales obliteration I was expecting with an all-new car and eight years of pent-up demand, a win is a win. I have no doubt that Ford will pull out all the stops for MY 2015, and that's something we can all thank Chevy (and, to a lesser extent, Dodge) for.
Well put sir!
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
From what I've read, I am not sure it was direct response to that situation. Whether it is "tongue-in-cheek" or BS'ing, it does at least mean each company recognizes their competition to the extent that perhaps we the consumer get better cars.
It's a win/win situation to the end customer. Competition improves the breed.
Old 1/23/12, 04:49 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by edumspeed
Well put sir!

It's a win/win situation to the end customer. Competition improves the breed.
You're definitely right and, for that, I do thank Al Oppenheiser and GM. I have a feeling that, without the success of the 2010+ Camaro, the next-generation 2015 Mustang wouldn't have been the huge step forward in terms of style, performance, handling, etc that we're hearing it's going to be when compared to the outgoing S197 'Stang.
Old 1/26/12, 09:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like how they have done "simulations" with a car they know very little about lol
what a stupid thing for Al to say lmao

No No No guys don't worry about the 2013 gt500, we've done simulations! hhahahahahahahahahahaa

edit:

Last edited by fdjizm; 1/26/12 at 09:43 AM.
Old 1/26/12, 10:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
I like how they have done "simulations" with a car they know very little about lol

No No No guys don't worry about the 2013 gt500, we've done simulations! hhahahahahahahahahahaa

edit:
what Ford was thinking.

Last edited by Automagically; 1/26/12 at 10:53 AM.
Old 1/26/12, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

edit:
That made my day right there... LOL!
Old 1/26/12, 07:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Simulations. Yeah, I play Gran Turismo 5 too, lol.
Old 1/28/12, 12:24 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

edit: