General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Top Gear America

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/08, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought Leno would be good too, but he's already declined to be part of the show. He's wants no part of a show thats going to ruin the British version.
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle3638037.ece

Along with Adam Carolla they've added Tanner Faust, a rally racer/drifter/stunt driver, as a host.

The show's gonna suck because they aren't gonna be able to rip terrible cars apart with their reviews. The show's on NBC so they're gonna need sponsors unlike the BBC. Sponsers wont support a show that says their cars are crap so it's gonna end up with them liking every car, completely ruining the spirit of Top Gear.

Last edited by THRUST_; 4/17/08 at 04:12 PM.
Old 4/17/08, 02:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should be on PBS.
Old 4/18/08, 06:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly don't take ANYTHING from Top Gear seriously anymore. To me, its total entertainment and a great tv show!
Old 4/18/08, 08:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by StangMahn
tim and jay would be cool; but what most people dont realize is that the three guys in the UK version had no training as drivers, heck James Mays was a pianist. There's no way that a US version will be as good, but it doesnt have to be bad.
IMO the US version of Top Gear will work IF they do it their own way and not try to completely copy the original. TG knocks everything and everybody - including themselves. As been noted on here, if they try that approach, I think
"the crap will fly" with sponsors, etc....would love to see it but don't think its going to happen
Old 4/18/08, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stormbringer
Maybe in the American version there wont be so many lies about American cars. This type of thing has happened on several occasions...

They claim that a horse beat a 300 hp mustang around a dirt track but when you view the footage they are obviously using a V6 mustang.

They claim to have built an electric car that could beat a 500 hp Shelby GT500 but in reality what they have is the 315hp Shelby GT.

And they mock the GT500 when it failed to put out 500 rwhp stock on a chassis dyno. As if we are supposed to believe they have never heard of drive train loss.

And finally the Cadillac CTS-V which they really could find nothing wrong with they still gave a bad review because it felt "just too American."

How about in our American version we say.. "This new M3 is really cool and super fast, but it just feels too European." How dumb would that sound?

Their obvious prejudices and holier than thou attitudes make me sick.
That's my problem with that show too. They keep perpetuating the false stereotypes about American cars. Of course, the millions of viewers across the pond will never have the opportunity to drive an American car like a Mustang, so they take it as gospel truth. They don't even bother getting their fact straight. The other two guys aren't so bad, but Clarkson is just a big fat America hater.

Then you've got all the little junior high & high school kids in the US who get all their ideas about being an "auto enthusiast" from playing video games with 500 different tuner special edition Skylines and 2 American cars, and watching "Top Gear" episodes downloaded from a 'torrent.

They take the show seriously & think that Clarkson and crew are putting on a factual news-like show, when all it is really an entertainment show pretending to tell the truth.
Old 4/18/08, 10:14 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Maybe in the American version there wont be so many lies about American cars. This type of thing has happened on several occasions...

They claim that a horse beat a 300 hp mustang around a dirt track but when you view the footage they are obviously using a V6 mustang.

They claim to have built an electric car that could beat a 500 hp Shelby GT500 but in reality what they have is the 315hp Shelby GT.

And they mock the GT500 when it failed to put out 500 rwhp stock on a chassis dyno. As if we are supposed to believe they have never heard of drive train loss.

And finally the Cadillac CTS-V which they really could find nothing wrong with they still gave a bad review because it felt "just too American."

How about in our American version we say.. "This new M3 is really cool and super fast, but it just feels too European." How dumb would that sound?

Couldn't say better myself.

Or how about when they tested Dodge Ram vs Ariel Atom.

Or that off-road test when Cadillac Escalade got stuck. Something like that would never happen unless you really want it to happen.

Or when Jeremy tested Corvette he couldn't find anything wrong with it so his comments were "GPS only shows fast food places, the steering wheel is on the wrong side ...."

Last edited by Zastava_101; 4/18/08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 4/18/08, 04:45 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yet you obviously still watch the show

You guys with the hateraide obviously are missing the point..Top Gear is about entertainment and they don't give two craps about your opinion or mine.. they go for the laugh everytime. They pick on every car on the planet (british ones included) and love all kinds of cars..American ones included. (jeremy and hammond both have owned american ones and right now Hammond ownes a GT390...but oh yeah I forogt they hate all american cars so how can that be.

If you don't like the show don't watch it.

I noticed you guys didn't bring up the Cheap plasticy interior comments they always make about american cars...oh yeah because it's true.

The show is riddled with whole truths and half truths and lies. It's about entertainment. You want the numbers go look at a car brochure. TG is the worlds most popular motoring show. And anything else will pale in comparison. The show doesn't pretent to tell the truth they just drop what they say on the table and let you decide..Jeremy has said on air a dozen times that they lie. Just because thise supposed audence that takes what they say about everything is gospel dosn't make the show bad it just makes the audience stupid.

but i gotta say I'm ok with Tanner..seen his stuff and he's got the cred

Last edited by burningman; 4/18/08 at 04:56 PM.
Old 4/18/08, 05:29 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by burningman
Yet you obviously still watch the show

You guys with the hateraide obviously are missing the point..Top Gear is about entertainment and they don't give two craps about your opinion or mine.. they go for the laugh everytime. They pick on every car on the planet (british ones included) and love all kinds of cars..American ones included. (jeremy and hammond both have owned american ones and right now Hammond ownes a GT390...but oh yeah I forogt they hate all american cars so how can that be.

If you don't like the show don't watch it.

I noticed you guys didn't bring up the Cheap plasticy interior comments they always make about american cars...oh yeah because it's true.

The show is riddled with whole truths and half truths and lies. It's about entertainment. You want the numbers go look at a car brochure. TG is the worlds most popular motoring show. And anything else will pale in comparison. The show doesn't pretent to tell the truth they just drop what they say on the table and let you decide..Jeremy has said on air a dozen times that they lie. Just because thise supposed audence that takes what they say about everything is gospel dosn't make the show bad it just makes the audience stupid.

but i gotta say I'm ok with Tanner..seen his stuff and he's got the cred
Only British car that Jeremy ever criticized was Vauxhall. But he still said nice things about VXR8. I don't think he would be that nice if he tested identical Pontiac G8.

Only reason why I watch TG is Richard. If he wasn't a host - I wouldn't watch that show.

How many shows about cars lie about cars they test? Not many, if any at all.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 4/18/08 at 05:31 PM.
Old 4/18/08, 06:51 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

He hated on the Morgan too. and pretty much everything BL ever made. He's ripped into Astons (db9 vert comes to mind) DB7 on the whole he said was crap except for the looks.
Ripped into TVR too. He's even taken shots at Westfield cars. Not alot of british marks now so you really can't come up with truck loads. So to say Vauxhall is the only one is actually wrong.

But it doesn't matter none of you will be changed and neither will I and that's ok with me. I love the show and hope it stays on forever

but we are also straying Way off the topic here.

Last edited by burningman; 4/18/08 at 06:56 PM.
Old 4/18/08, 06:58 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Would you still watch the show if Jeremy was the only host?
Old 4/18/08, 07:13 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

yeah I would
I like the way the three of them mesh together also though, they have great chemistry.
But I've watched almost all of Jeremys other shows..he's done boatloads with just himself some on cars some on traveling, and enjoyed them as well.
Old 4/18/08, 07:23 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Then I'm pretty sure you saw Detroit episode of Motorworld?

In that episode he droved Chrysler LSH and had nice things to say about that car (and believe me, that car is crap, I own LSH's cousin Dodge Intrepid and it's a horrible car). But 10 years later at Top Gear he can't find few nice words to say about American cars ...
Old 4/18/08, 09:23 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He hated on the Morgan too. and pretty much everything BL ever made. He's ripped into Astons (db9 vert comes to mind) DB7 on the whole he said was crap except for the looks.
Ripped into TVR too. He's even taken shots at Westfield cars. Not alot of british marks now so you really can't come up with truck loads. So to say Vauxhall is the only one is actually wrong.

But it doesn't matter none of you will be changed and neither will I and that's ok with me. I love the show and hope it stays on forever

but we are also straying Way off the topic here.
I love the show, too. And the Brits love to rip on the Yanks, it's just expected.

But I do agree with the other poster: it's beyond entertaining or funny when they just make up stuff that is SO patently false - like trying to pass off the Mustang V6 as a GT in that "horse race" test. No way they could have been that stupid, so what the hell were they trying to prove...and to whom?
Old 4/19/08, 12:51 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

guess we should elect Jeremy as president then he could lie and no one would say boo about it
Old 4/19/08, 01:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Hey, they don't sandbag or push results any more than US car mags, and at least they're entertaining doing it.
Old 4/21/08, 04:41 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guess we should elect Jeremy as president then he could lie and no one would say boo about it