General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

So what did you think of Top Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/10, 09:11 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree w/ all the opinions expressed so far especially arin's and doug's so I won't re-type everything.

The small things that are wrong now (music, camera angles, etc) can be fixed pretty easily, but the major problem is obviously the hosts. I'll give them a break since its their first epi, but man talk about watching paint dry. These guys have nothing in common so it'll be tough for them to build the chemistry on the level of the uk cast. I think if leno, seinfeld, and allen could have done it the chemistry would have been there from the get-go since they all have backgrounds in cars and comedy. (Would have been a lot easier to get access to rare cars to boot!)

Lastly, I hope they review some normal cars. If this thing is just supercars all the time I will get bored pretty quick. And PLEASE, say something negative about the cars other than price. This shouldn't be a commercial for automakers. I was terrified when I saw the show was sponsored by Mercedes. No way we can get an honest review when the manufacturers are paying for it...
Old 11/22/10, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A very bad imitation.. they are trying too hard. They even tried to imitate the three presenters, instead of going with their own identity. The chemistry is not there with the guys and it appeared everything they said was scripted. And. come on, getting lost on the airport! Even the car segments were simply copies, to include the Cobra segement, which was done in the UK version. Oh, and no way the crewman was military...with a beard. The camera work left a lot to be desired.

Sorry guys, thumbs down on this one. I will record a few more segments to see if it improves, but I really don't see this happening, unless they turn these guys loose and let them ad lib as they go.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 11/22/10 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Missed word
Old 11/22/10, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'd like to see Matt Farah and Jay Leno on there.
Old 11/22/10, 09:25 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
i'd like to see Matt Farah and Jay Leno on there.
I like Matt Farah, he would definitely work
Old 11/23/10, 04:47 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I enjoyed the show. Took it at face value that it was a motoring show for America, based on the 'Best TV Show' I enjoy . . .

I'm not going to try and second guess everything that happens on the show, or between the hosts. I will say if ratings are low the show will be cancelled . . . regardless of the hosts.
Old 11/23/10, 07:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
I enjoyed the show. Took it at face value that it was a motoring show for America, based on the 'Best TV Show' I enjoy . . .

I'm not going to try and second guess everything that happens on the show, or between the hosts. I will say if ratings are low the show will be cancelled . . . regardless of the hosts.
GREAT NEWS! The ratings were modest and History channel is proud. So I suppose way to go Top Gear! We will see how many people keep viewing though. I will keep watching for the potential of the show alone.

http://www.insideline.com/car-news/a...medium=twitter
Old 11/23/10, 08:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watching paint dry is more enjoyable than this first episode.

I wasn't expecting the same TG as we get from the UK, but man there is just no personality from any of the hosts. I was very disappointed in the Big Star, Small Car segment. The interview wasn't an interview, it was a list of Buzz's cars he's owned in the past. There was very little 'ad-lib' talk during his run around their course.

Did anyone else notice that they didn't even have image stabilization cameras for the in car Viper shots? The camera was jerking around so much I thought there was an earthquake happening :-) None of the hosts had me get excited about the cars they drove. It felt like a scripted commercial for each car. Give me some passion for the 100s of horsepower you're pushing around the track. I don't know, just felt blah about it.

This is America, the same formula won't work. Make it new, unique, and American with a bit borrowed from the UK version, and you might get a winning combination, and for the love of Pete, start by getting the hosts to be more relaxed and more themselves. 3 cardboard cutouts could have done better.

-danny
Old 11/23/10, 04:54 PM
GT Member

After having witnessed the Americanization and subsequent failure of British shows like "Coupling" and "British Men Behaving Badly", my expectations for Top Gear (US) were extremely low. I was once again asking myself why US TV producers keep insisting on giving us poorly executed versions of brilliant Brit TV shows? Although I would like to see more American iron on TGUK, I was of a mind that I don't need another Top Gear........
So imagine my surprise when the show was actually......pretty good. Once I quit comparing it to TGUK and allowed it to stand on it's own, I actually kind of liked it. While the hosts may seem a little stiff now, it seemed to me that they really are car guys (maybe not to the level that Leno is, but who is?) and I think we'll see them have more fun and start gelling together as the season progresses. While Tanner Foust's other programs have been less than captivating for me, I really admired the way he pulled the Viper off that bridge with the full on rally-e-brake-and-goose-it method, especially when the Viper's reputation for biting those with less-than-expert abilities is well known.
I don't really know the other two guys, but I thought they were having a pretty good time, and I think it will get better. Like Safeway crab meat and cubic zirconia, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.......but the real deal is always better. TGUK is as great an automotive show as any in history, and even Leno would have a hard time filling shoes as irreverent and fabulous as Jezzer's.....but I will keep watching TGUS for what it is: An American version of a fantastic British show, that for once, I don't think draws a vacuum bigger than space. I think that as long as I never expect it to be TGUK, TGUS will be another car show I'll add to my miniscule list of HD recordings on DVR. After all, I might actually see cars like the GT500, ZR1, Hennesy's, Saleens, and others rip up their track..........
Old 11/23/10, 05:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost
After having witnessed the Americanization and subsequent failure of British shows like "Coupling" and "British Men Behaving Badly", my expectations for Top Gear (US) were extremely low. I was once again asking myself why US TV producers keep insisting on giving us poorly executed versions of brilliant Brit TV shows? Although I would like to see more American iron on TGUK, I was of a mind that I don't need another Top Gear........
So imagine my surprise when the show was actually......pretty good. Once I quit comparing it to TGUK and allowed it to stand on it's own, I actually kind of liked it. While the hosts may seem a little stiff now, it seemed to me that they really are car guys (maybe not to the level that Leno is, but who is?) and I think we'll see them have more fun and start gelling together as the season progresses. While Tanner Foust's other programs have been less than captivating for me, I really admired the way he pulled the Viper off that bridge with the full on rally-e-brake-and-goose-it method, especially when the Viper's reputation for biting those with less-than-expert abilities is well known.
I don't really know the other two guys, but I thought they were having a pretty good time, and I think it will get better. Like Safeway crab meat and cubic zirconia, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.......but the real deal is always better. TGUK is as great an automotive show as any in history, and even Leno would have a hard time filling shoes as irreverent and fabulous as Jezzer's.....but I will keep watching TGUS for what it is: An American version of a fantastic British show, that for once, I don't think draws a vacuum bigger than space. I think that as long as I never expect it to be TGUK, TGUS will be another car show I'll add to my miniscule list of HD recordings on DVR. After all, I might actually see cars like the GT500, ZR1, Hennesy's, Saleens, and others rip up their track..........

Here's to hoping!
Old 11/27/10, 01:38 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Just saw the preview for tomorrow's episode and it looks like it might be pretty good...
Old 11/27/10, 02:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it... Something on TV worth watching.
Old 11/28/10, 09:02 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
BWWWWAAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The dog feels the same way I do about the show so far.
Old 11/28/10, 09:14 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
the dog bit was funny as hell!

I enjoyed this episode more than the first, tho the evo segment was rediculous, they changed camera footage in between shots like 4 times.

is it just me or does adam ferrera not do anything? I just really dont like him on the show, he's not very personable. Tanner's driving is his saving grace. Rutledge is pretty **** funny.
Old 11/28/10, 09:28 PM
Cobra Member

CRAP!!! i missed it
Old 11/28/10, 09:35 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Red Jay
CRAP!!! i missed it
It comes back on in a couple of hours, and will be on several times this week.
Old 11/28/10, 09:38 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by StangMahn

is it just me or does adam ferrera not do anything? I just really dont like him on the show, he's not very personable.
For someone who is supposed to be a comedian, he isn't very funny. Seems to have no wit at all.
Old 11/28/10, 09:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
It comes back on in a couple of hours, and will be on several times this week.
ah, thanks man
Old 11/29/10, 01:03 AM
Cobra Member

BAHAHAHAHAA!!! the dog at the end was hilarious. i enjoyed the the 370Z bit and the EVO bit. during the EVO bit did anyone notice near the end when the EVO came back on the tarmac from out the snow that it looked like it hadnt even been through the snow at all? i mean in that small cut scene i didnt see any snow caught in the wheels, snow caught in the grills of the bumper or anything.
Old 11/29/10, 01:07 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Much better than the first episode. The show still seemed too scripted except for the 370z part. The dog was epic though. Adam Ferrara and his mole must GO.

I think the show is watchable now so I will follow it for this season. However if there isn't one stang review this season I will have to proclaim it a fail
Old 11/29/10, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
is it just me or does adam ferrera not do anything? I just really dont like him on the show, he's not very personable. Tanner's driving is his saving grace. Rutledge is pretty **** funny.
Opposite here, I thought Rutledge was worthless and not funny. Ferrara is funny in that he's so incompetent. Couldn't even do a dang burnout!

Quick Reply: So what did you think of Top Gear?