General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

My "other" car.

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/11, 04:07 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That purple is "for now". Its actually spray paint. lol We got bored one week...and well, yeah. Its going to get a paint job in time, but its not the priority.

As for the 240z, a customer of ours who had a 280z and a 300zx bought it. We're going to pull the s14 sr20det out of the s14 and throw it into the 240z. Its also going to get an intake/exhaust manifold before it goes in as well. Come summer, we'll have a 280z with s13 sr20, 240z with s14 sr20 and another 280z with an s15 sr20 complete with 6 speed. I can't wait to line those up in front of the shop!

I'm a kouki fan myself.
Old 2/23/11, 11:25 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Got the AEM in last week.
Old 3/11/11, 12:09 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Now we're getting serious...

I've just ordered this week:

Mounts with solid aluminum motor mounts.

Downpipe which will then go to probably a 4" exhaust.

1,000 horsepower 3 core intercooler with minimal loss. At full flow for this bad body, we won't see more than 3-5ish psi lost.

I also ordered/received a new(to us) transmission, complete with lower harness, as well as the engine harness which we are sending out for rewiring because we're just too **** busy to do it ourselves right now.

Paint shop has been notified and the car will be going in for a new paint scheme in a few weeks hopefully. Nothing fancy though since we plan on throwing this thing around and off course into dirty and rocks.

We FINALLY made a suspension choice. We have begun a relationship with Fortune Auto who is going to sponsor this car. We will be rocking the FA 510 series coilover with optional Swift springs front/rear with a spring rating of 12k front, 9k rear. We will also be running their suspension arms package. The coilovers are being custom built to our specs for our type of aero we will be running, as well as track surfaces we expect to encounter.

Next on the list...

I'll get the Nitto NT01's ordered here sooner or later. We're going to be running 275/40/17's on all four corners, which means we're going to have to roll those front fenders!

I also ordered the 1,000hp 3.5" aluminum driveshaft.

Poor Mustang is starting to feel abandoned. lol
Old 3/11/11, 11:20 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can work on the Mustang next after this one is sorted out. BTW, have seen a couple cherry-looking "Kouki" S14s on the road - "original owner cars". Have even seen a modified S13 with a S15 front clip for sale - go figure.

Last edited by hi5.0; 3/11/11 at 11:23 AM.
Old 3/11/11, 06:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
That thing's gonna be a beast. Awesome!
Old 3/20/11, 02:18 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Coilovers/suspension arms are stuck in Japan. Hopefully they'll leave this week for the US.

However, on a good note I ordered the solid aluminum subframe bushings. We should also be seeing the driveshaft this week!
Old 3/29/11, 12:28 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Progress!

They're here!

FortuneAuto 510 series coilovers with custom rates, valving and optional Swift Springs. The arms are also the FIRST production set of their 240 arms.

The rb26 has also left its bed in the 240z. I'll snap some pics for updated parts!

Oh yeah, almost forgot this....6ft of this shiny stuff!

Last edited by Antigini-GT/CS; 3/29/11 at 12:30 AM.
Old 4/7/11, 01:13 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

3.5" custom driveshaft is in! Downpipe and intercooler are being made as we speak.

I also ordered the wheels today. We made the decision to not put such nice(and costly) wheels on the car since we know for a fact its going to get thrown into the dirt at the track, so we opted for the brand new XXR, which arrived just this week, and are mostly on back order already. I was lucky to find a set since I didn't pre-order.

17x9.5 +25 all around. Now we just need some 275/40/17 NT01's to go on them!
Old 8/5/11, 12:40 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Its been a few months since i've updated...

The wheel/tire come has been shipped, mounted and white-walled! As mentioned before, 275/40/17 on all four corners. This is actually causing us to need rear overfenders as well as fronts, so I just added that to the "must order" list.

The cage is also in! A while ago we stripped the interior, performed the dry ice method and sent the car out for cage treatment, as well as filling in the sunroof. Overall we lost a little over 100lbs in sunroof/metal removed from caging/sound deadening. I'd be willing to bet its going to be close to 200lbs with the window motors, glass(window net), interior, radio, etc.

The car is going to get painted in the next month or so, depending on how quick we can get these fenders and make them work. We finished up a few loose ends on the motor, so it now sits on a stand, waiting patiently...
Old 8/15/11, 11:36 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

The new Bride Zeta III XL(or "fat American seat" as we've dubbed it) along with its slider rail(because i'm short) have arrived. Along with it, the Crow purple 4 point harness, purple window net, Shine Auto Project aero kit along with rear carbon fiber diffuser, JDM rear bumper(required with the Shine kit), oil cooler, wheel spacers, and water pipe for the motor which was nearly impossible to find have arrived. I've ordered the rear 50mm fenders from Origin, though the front we have to go a different route since the Origins are on backorder until November. Those will be 30mm.

Next up will be front fenders since we want to get this car to the paint shop ASAP. Tow hooks need to be ordered along with padding for the cage, 2 fire suppression systems, front fenders and several other "small" items I just can't remember right now.

Our goal was to have this car up and running in November to make the Redline time attack event in Las Vegas right after SEMA, but having discovered some things, we decided against the idea and have once again pushed back the date in which we would like this car to run. At this point that main factor in time is going to be how long the paint shop takes to work in these fiberglass fenders since they had originally quoted 3 weeks for paint alone. I hope to drive this car before 2012.
Old 8/25/11, 11:57 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Glad to see an update
Old 8/26/11, 01:01 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Purple tow hooks have arrived. Differential is on its way and i've got a bunch of Motul fluid ready to go in.

Getting closer! Still looking for fenders....
Old 8/26/11, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

A buddy of mine just got his 1989 240 done, it has an RB30 with an RB26 head and a 62mm precision on ~20 psi. Made 530whp and went 11.79 @ 128 on et streets (1.75 60') on his first pass ever. Never got back into the 11's that day but consistently trapped 122-124. Pretty cool car, and really nasty brake boosted on the highway.
Old 8/26/11, 11:42 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Wow, that's a great project! So many people start an rb26/30 and never finish because its so expensive and takes so much more than an rb25.

Did he use the rb25 or 300zx tranny?
Old 8/27/11, 05:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Im pretty sure the rb25, but I never asked him specifically.

He said there aren't many of those done and running really at all.
Old 8/28/11, 01:24 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

The rb25 tranny is absolutely better, especially since the z32's have a tendency for 4th to have issues. We originally had a z32 mated to the rb26 but upgraded and went with a Spec super twin.

No, there aren't many rb26 swapped cars running around. The reason for that is cost. The motor alone is a good $4,500 while a full rb25 motorset is $2,500. A lot of people start the project but end up selling it or parking it because it takes quite a bit of time and money.

On another note, I actually just picked up a 95 240 for a daily driver so I can park my Mustang.
Old 8/28/11, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
The rb25 tranny is absolutely better, especially since the z32's have a tendency for 4th to have issues. We originally had a z32 mated to the rb26 but upgraded and went with a Spec super twin.

No, there aren't many rb26 swapped cars running around. The reason for that is cost. The motor alone is a good $4,500 while a full rb25 motorset is $2,500. A lot of people start the project but end up selling it or parking it because it takes quite a bit of time and money.

On another note, I actually just picked up a 95 240 for a daily driver so I can park my Mustang.
I know there aren't many rb26 cars but he made it sound like there are even less rb30 bottom end / rb26 head cars.

At any rate your daily sounds cooler than my cavalier lol.
Old 8/28/11, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sell you a 2JZ for it

Awesome build, will be fun when its done.

I would love to build a drift car, 1400 wheel is only so much fun. A streetable 400-500 wheel drift car would be wonderful..
Old 8/31/11, 09:40 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

I wouldn't mind throwing a 2j in a 240, and especially wouldn't mind a 6spd mated to it. We've got a few 2j projects going on right now, actually. My latest Supra owner dropped off his tt for t81 single upgrade, then the next week dropped off an LS400 with another 2jz for swap he decided he wanted to pick up. Normally we're pretty Nissan-rich, but lately we've been pretty Toyota rich.

Update time...I have a few pictures and great news. I have FINALLY found front fenders. They should be arriving next week.

Holy crap, someone actually let me play with a power tool! I always love getting my hands dirty, especially since i'm usually busy running around or chatting with customers. I take every opportunity to work on this car that I can.

The end result of the cutting, bending, welding, spraying and one whole roll of blue tape later....we can now fit the rear fenders.

Here is the rear, all mocked up. We're not playing around with the aero one bit, as you can tell.
Old 9/5/11, 09:06 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Front fenders arrived. The driver side is broken.

Quick Reply: My "other" car.