General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Home garage auto lift

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/11, 04:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a topic I've been thinking about alot also. I've used 2 post asymetrical lifts before but never a 4 post. Since I can't have one of each, I'm trying to decide which option would work best for allowing me to do most everything to a vehicle. Option 1, a 4 post lift for most jobs and a Kwiklift for suspension and brake work. 4 post easier to load but not sure how much access it allows for things like dropping the engine or tranny. Also, how much ground clearance do you need for the kwicklift? I have a racecar that is pretty low. Option 2, a four post with jacktray. How much clearance do you need for a jacktray with bottle jacks? Or would hydraulic jack tray be a better investment? Option 3, 2 post lift only. Would allow me to work on pretty much everything except when I need the suspension loaded. It is more trouble to load the vehicle, especially the racecar because it is difficult to see where the pads are under the car do to the height. Any advice or other options I haven't considered?
Old 3/5/11, 05:59 AM
V6 Member

I've had one for 5 or 6 years. It's way cheaper than building an extra garage stall, or moving to a house with a larger garage!

My ceiling is about 10.5 feet, if I recall. Only change required was to the garage door tracks (what they call a "high lift kit").

Old 3/5/11, 07:10 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by kckmustang
I've had one for 5 or 6 years. It's way cheaper than building an extra garage stall, or moving to a house with a larger garage!

My ceiling is about 10.5 feet, if I recall. Only change required was to the garage door tracks (what they call a "high lift kit").

On A related subject what floor coating/epoxy did you use and would you recommend it?

Anyone?
Old 3/10/11, 12:03 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gary, you should put one of these in your new house!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJaP9...&tracker=False
Old 3/16/11, 11:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
On A related subject what floor coating/epoxy did you use and would you recommend it?

Anyone?
I used the Rustoleum water based epoxy, followed by a top coat of the oil based clear coat for added protection. With the right floor prep, this stuff seems to be very durable. Only been installed a year now, but no issues yet with dragging my old jack across it, using jack stands etc. Here's a thread I started with some pics and more details https://themustangsource.com/f649/ne...y-done-483603/

That set-up posted by kckmustang has me thinking as my garages have 10 ft. ceilings, so a lift might actually work with a high lift track set-up.
Old 3/16/11, 11:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems to me like the most versatile is a 2 post asymmetrical. There are too many things I'd need to work on for the 4 posts you guys have listed. Unless the only use was for storage. Otherwise, access to the suspension, drive line, engine, exhaust can all be had much more favorably by a 2 post.