General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Home garage auto lift

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/11, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home garage auto lift

I'm building a new home with a garage that will have a 12 foot ceiling and want to install an auto lift for maintenance as well as the ability to park another vehicle beneath. I've been looking at the Eagle Equipment lifts and would like input from anyone that may have a home lift. Thanks.

Last edited by phytrpilot; 3/3/11 at 02:59 PM. Reason: mis-spell
Old 3/3/11, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a lift in my shop, which has 12' ceiling. It is a Rotary brand 10,000 lb. asymmetrical lift. This is not really a "home" lift as it is a commercial lift and a little on the expensive side. I fits in the shop with a couple of inches to spare. Not sure if you could get a very tall vehicle under the one on the lift though. I like this style lift as I can get under all the vehicle. A drive on lift you can't do that.
Old 3/3/11, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

I have a high ceiling and bought a 4post lift. Had for 5 years now, very convenient. I plan on parking the Boss under it.

I need to modify the tracks and lift the actuator to accommodate the height.

The Boss is 80 inches from mirror to mirror, so it should fit fine.
Old 3/3/11, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Phytrpilot,
Having a 12 ft ceiling is a good starting point for a home lift. The general rule is you need...at a minimum....clearance which is the height of the two stored vehicles, plus 10 inches. Be sure to keep in mind that your garage door will intrude into this area unless your garage is super deep and the door won't be opening into the area where you're placing your lift. If it does open into this area, you'll need to have your door installer follow the ceiling, and you may need an extra panel, depending upon if your ceiling is flat or slanted upward.

I've had four lifts, and my first two were 4 posters, made by Storage Solutions (long since out of business). If you don't need to walk through the storage area a lot, they work fine; but low clearance can be an issue. Likewise, a 4 poster in a single car garage is always an issue (see photos)

I've gone to installing single post lifts from American Custom Lift in So Cal. They're more expensive than a simple 4 poster, but way more convenient in terms of floorspace. www.aclifts.com

If you're building your garage, I'd also recommend going with 220 VAC wiring for the lift motor. Most manufacturers offer a choice in 110 or 220 for their motors.
Attached Thumbnails Home garage auto lift-1209-surf-ave-pg-existing-parking-solutions-lift.jpg   Home garage auto lift-dsc00382.jpg   Home garage auto lift-dscn0933.jpg   Home garage auto lift-dscn0744.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 3/3/11, 04:26 PM
V6 Member

I have one from Automotive Lift & Equipment, as does a good friend of mine. Good lift for the price.
Old 3/3/11, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had my Eagle lift for about five years now. No problems so far. You nay want to think about having the garage floor concrete poured a little thicker in that spot to carry the weight of two cars in the space of one.
Attached Thumbnails Home garage auto lift-pa240034.jpg  
Old 3/3/11, 05:03 PM
GT Member

Finally, a lift thread.

I have a 12' height 3 stall inter-connected garage, but I also have a 22'x40' detached garage with a 24' ceiling (part 2nd floor). The single post idea is interesting but debating between a 2 or 4-post. I need an extended height lift because of my personal height. If space was no issue, which would you buy and what brand. 4-post rails seem to get in the way while working on the car and limit removing suspension pieces unless you have the center hydraulic lifts. They can also restrict working underneath the car. However, 4-post will allow you to scale the car, change balance, and change alignment while car is in the air. On the other hand 2-post allow more freedom under the car, but unable to load the suspension while lifted.

Thoughts?

Dave
Old 3/3/11, 05:15 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm looking at lifts right now in fact. I've decided on 2 post but am now trying to decide between symmetrical and asymmetrical.

I'm building a new house and I have vaulted the ceiling in the third bay specifically for a lift. I've got about a 11' wall height and a 18' ceiling height at the high point. The stall is about 15' wide overall and 24' deep. The main thing I did was make the overhead door tracks follow the ceiling slope so it won't interfere with the car on the lift. Also Liftmaster makes a fairly inexpensive Jack shaft operator now that mounts on the end of the garage door torion spring shaft out of the way on the wall.

I've been looking at a 10,000 lbs. Bendpak brand. But I'm looking for help deciding between symmetrical and asymmetrical and lift brand.
Old 3/3/11, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like asymmetrical as you can open the doors of the vehicle while on the lift with less worrying about banging them on the lift post. And I still can pick up my Suburban too.
Old 3/3/11, 07:16 PM

I have both types made by Bend pak, Have had them 5 years or better no issues work good quality built. I perfer the 2 post for working on various things but also have to set pads kneeling on ground, 4 post for storing a car below user freindly for sure, great for oil changes trans swaps exhaust etc, but ramps can get in way for any side access work. Great Site been lurking for a while.

DZstang
Old 3/3/11, 07:21 PM
Post *****

How about storing below the two post? I wanna be able to park my 07 GT under the Cobra R while it's in the air on the lift. I need the 2 post for the amount of work I am going to be doing to all the vehicles.
Old 3/3/11, 07:29 PM

A two post worked fine for that also, I have always made sure the lift was let down a bit on its safety locking stops, never had a problem with storing under either set up.
Dzstang

Last edited by Dzstang; 3/3/11 at 07:30 PM. Reason: poor typing skills
Old 3/3/11, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting thread....I've been considering adding on to my garage for some time and never thought of a lift...does one need a 12' ceiling or will a lift work with a 10' ceiling if you are parking a car under a car (i.e., no SUVs)?
Old 3/3/11, 08:22 PM

I Also use my 4 post Bend pak lift which one ramps slide towards the fixed ramp, to do work on golf cart, 4 wheeler, Zero turn mower, great for quick oil changes.
Dzstang
Old 3/3/11, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

mJ Barnet;See post #4 on this thread.

Last edited by phytrpilot; 3/3/11 at 08:42 PM. Reason: addee
Old 3/3/11, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

iDrive:"I need an extended height lift because of my personal height."

Check the specs for the various brands of lifts advertised online and you'll see the maximum clearance for each. For the AC Lifts Maximum One shown in Post #4 the clearance is 82.5 inches for the 6500 lb unit; and 70.5 for the 4500 lb capacity unit. The 6500 will hold a Suburban either on top or under the lift. I kept running into my 4 poster with my head, so I was looking for something taller, especially in the one car garage. If you're shorter than 6'10" you won't have a problem.

mjbarnet: a 10 ft ceiling may work....you just need to add the height of the 2 vehicles you're going to store and add 10 inches to be safe. With a 10 ft ceiling in a standard size garage, the garage door & the tracks are always going to be a limiting factor, since it's really hard to get one closer to the ceiling in less than 12 inches.
Old 3/3/11, 09:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting thread. I would love to have a lift but the garage ceiling is way too low and you ****'s must make alot more money than I do.
Old 3/3/11, 09:21 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Interesting thread. I would love to have a lift but the garage ceiling is way too low and you ****'s must make alot more money than I do.
I'm sure BK pays well.
Old 3/4/11, 05:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a four post at my work garage, but also have 15 ft ceilings.

A four post as mentioned is good for storage, oil changes, exhaust work, etc.

Old 3/4/11, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a 7 car garage, but with only 9' ceilings. For those of you with ceilings less than 11', I strongly recommend a Kwiklift. Very simple to use, and it puts the car at the perfect height to work underneath on a creeper. Great piece of equipment!

Quick Reply: Home garage auto lift