General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

G8 under $30K

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/07, 03:39 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry we got into discussion this long. If you want to compare GTO and G8, go ahead, that's your opinion.

My opinion is different. I don't believe that coupes and sedans should be compared even if they share platforms. But that's me.

I really didn't mean for discussion to get this long, I just wanted to post my opinion.
Old 10/4/07, 03:46 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
I'm sorry we got into discussion this long. If you want to compare GTO and G8, go ahead, that's your opinion.

My opinion is different. I don't believe that coupes and sedans should be compared even if they share platforms. But that's me.

I really didn't mean for discussion to get this long, I just wanted to post my opinion.
Don't be sorry. It was good. Seriously, I liked the discussion and you did raise interesting points. We can agree to disagree, no harm no foul.
Old 10/5/07, 01:39 AM
FR500 Member

... moving on...
Old 10/5/07, 03:06 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moosetang
The Ponty is indeed a better car objectively, but that's no gaurantee of sales.
It's unquestionably the better car, and you're right, it's no guarantee of sales.

But I think its appeal will be much more broadly heralded than the GTO, which frankly, was just plain ugly in profile view; an '80s/Cavalier bodystyle that had ZERO curb appeal.

On the other hand, as sports sedans go, the Pontiac G8 is quite a handsome car, both inside and out. If it fails, it won't be because the car doesn't have the right stuff...it will be because the Pontiac brand name no longer has the right stuff. And the lesson there will be to send Pontiac the way of Oldsmobile, IMO.
Old 10/6/07, 07:12 PM
Cobra Member

I'd rather have a mustang GT
Old 10/6/07, 08:01 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by boduke0220
I'd rather have a mustang GT
Wouldn't we all...

Old 10/12/07, 08:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The G8 in my opinion is a magnificent effort compared to the GTO and I predict it will sell excellently. This truly is a BMW at 1/2 the price.

Ford needs a handsome V8 4 door in this segment. Until then, Pontiac will dine on G8 sales.
Old 10/13/07, 08:48 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Ford needs a handsome V8 4 door in this segment.
God do they ever! Beside the G8, the "Taurus" looks like a joke.
Old 10/14/07, 07:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
It's unquestionably the better car, and you're right, it's no guarantee of sales.

But I think its appeal will be much more broadly heralded than the GTO, which frankly, was just plain ugly in profile view; an '80s/Cavalier bodystyle that had ZERO curb appeal.

On the other hand, as sports sedans go, the Pontiac G8 is quite a handsome car, both inside and out. If it fails, it won't be because the car doesn't have the right stuff...it will be because the Pontiac brand name no longer has the right stuff. And the lesson there will be to send Pontiac the way of Oldsmobile, IMO.
I'm not sure it is that simple. To revive a brand not only do you have to build a great car in general, but you also have to build a car that suits the brand. Perhaps the best example of a failure in this respect was Porsche and their 928. It became a common saying back in the mid/late eighties that the 928 may well have been, at that time, the best car that Porsche had ever built, but it was a terrible Porsche...and thus sales were awful. The Mustang and 300 both do very well because they are each very good cars which also happen to be rolling representations of what each of those monikers, and the brands which make them, really mean to the auto enthusiasts and the public in general.

While obviously a very good car dynamically wether or not the G8 can muster that kind of appeal waits to be seen at best and seems unlikely at worst. The 'G' naming scheme is terrible and inexplicable, even worse than Ford's recent fascination with F words. Also, the styling may be a bit too reserved for a Pontiac.....just because Potiacs are no longer plastic clad spaceships doesn't mean they have to be this subdued. Finally, I don't expect the car to have the base appeal that the 300 did when it debuted because the styling and character of the G8, each of which have been addressed to some extent above, just aren't as well developed as those of the Chrysler. I think you can blame some of that on the push for globalism. To be blunt it is logically difficult to develop and build a proper, American, Pontiac-branded muscle sedan outside of America.

That said I do expect the car to sell reasonably well.
Old 10/14/07, 11:33 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I'm not sure it is that simple. To revive a brand not only do you have to build a great car in general, but you also have to build a car that suits the brand. Perhaps the best example of a failure in this respect was Porsche and their 928. It became a common saying back in the mid/late eighties that the 928 may well have been, at that time, the best car that Porsche had ever built, but it was a terrible Porsche...and thus sales were awful. The Mustang and 300 both do very well because they are each very good cars which also happen to be rolling representations of what each of those monikers, and the brands which make them, really mean to the auto enthusiasts and the public in general.

While obviously a very good car dynamically wether or not the G8 can muster that kind of appeal waits to be seen at best and seems unlikely at worst. The 'G' naming scheme is terrible and inexplicable, even worse than Ford's recent fascination with F words. Also, the styling may be a bit too reserved for a Pontiac.....just because Potiacs are no longer plastic clad spaceships doesn't mean they have to be this subdued. Finally, I don't expect the car to have the base appeal that the 300 did when it debuted because the styling and character of the G8, each of which have been addressed to some extent above, just aren't as well developed as those of the Chrysler. I think you can blame some of that on the push for globalism. To be blunt it is logically difficult to develop and build a proper, American, Pontiac-branded muscle sedan outside of America.

That said I do expect the car to sell reasonably well.
Well, frankly, Pontiac hasn't had a "brand identity" for over 30 years! Not a real one, anyway. Better to reboot the marque with a good quality product and go from there. Certainly with 365 odd horsepower, rear wheel drive, and aggressive performance dynamics, the G8 has the right stuff for the old school Pontiac modality...on paper, at least.

If it's priced competitively, I predict success for the G8. Let's see what happens.
Old 10/15/07, 12:29 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

The Oz production just bugs me. The global-platform idea I advocate is that each market builds locally, giving you the best of a world-class platform and local production. With the G8, Ponty's fighting exchange rates and importation costs and trying to price aggressively on top of that. The car probably will sell well, but I don't see it doing alot to help GM's bottom line in this form. IMO they would have benefited greatly opening a domestic line for this car.
Old 10/15/07, 01:56 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Moosetang
The Oz production just bugs me. The global-platform idea I advocate is that each market builds locally, giving you the best of a world-class platform and local production. With the G8, Ponty's fighting exchange rates and importation costs and trying to price aggressively on top of that. The car probably will sell well, but I don't see it doing alot to help GM's bottom line in this form. IMO they would have benefited greatly opening a domestic line for this car.
Well, for the time being, at least, the Ozzies build better fit & finish into their cars.

GM has proven with the CTS that it can do the same thing here in North America, but probably not across the entire GM lineup yet.

This is probably a short-term step to boost perceived quality along the way to what you are talking about.
Old 12/6/07, 05:57 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Yeah . . . I kind of want a G8 more and more . .

Top Gear Video

G8 (in VXR8 trim)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn7Z-iLa8h0
Old 12/8/07, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

The G8 "should" out perform the Charger, roughly the same weight yet 364 vs 340 HP with 100% equal drivers. Both are 4 door sport sedans. "IF" they produce a GXP with a 425 ish LS3 it and the SRT-8 should be excellent comparisons. And of course the six speed stick is supposed to bow 6 months later. Had I not already have gotten my GTO I would have undoubtedly gotten the G8 as it is a 4 door car that can haul *** both figuratively and literally. Since the L76 in it is essentially an LS2 with DoD and .much better heads and intake than the LS2, 400 Hp shouldn't be more than a tune away. While it might not be an exact comparison to a Mustang or GTO (which aren't exactly the same as well) I'm sure there will be plenty of it done on the street and track. Just don't be surprised if a 4 door car gets out in front 600 lbs more with 64 more hp is going to be a drivers race all day long.

Hopefully it sells well and Ford takes notice. That would be a nice lineup. Falcon/G8/Charger and Mustang/Chally/Camaro. That would be a nice site to see at your local Cruise in.

As a tidbit on an earlier post I wouldn't worry too much abput GM's red ink issues. If they have the cash to make deals with renault and that russian automaker. They can't be as tight as most think. GM is into way more than just vehicles.
Old 12/8/07, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

The G8 looks like a nice car, and the pricing seems very reasonable.

Credit Dodge for helping to re-establish V8 RWD platforms for the massesagain, otherwise I'm afraid there would not be a G8. As for the comparisons between the Charger/G8, I suppose we'll see. Both are very nice cars though.

The power advantage of the G8 is going to be very short lived. The redesigned 09 5.7 hemi's are getting a bump in power to 380hp.
Old 12/9/07, 06:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

And the domino effect begins.

Hmm just found this surfing. The Euro version G8/Commodore. Pretty sure it has the LS2 being a vxr8 but anyhow heres the worlds biggest snob's take on it. http://www.fquick.com/videos/Clarkso...hall_VXR8/3911
Old 12/10/07, 10:58 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by exgto
The power advantage of the G8 is going to be very short lived. The redesigned 09 5.7 hemi's are getting a bump in power to 380hp.
I don't get why gm is using that engine. they should be using their LS engines.

I mean gm has had a 5.7L 385hp LS6 in 2001 and then 405hp in 2002 and 8 years later the 5.7 hemi only has 380hp.. boo.

but then again Ford has nothing in this range. lol... oh sad ford.
Old 12/10/07, 11:20 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Yeah . . . I kind of want a G8 more and more . .

Top Gear Video

G8 (in VXR8 trim)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn7Z-iLa8h0
Old 12/10/07, 05:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Has anyone seen the G8 in person yet?