General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

First Spy Pic of Challenger Concept

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/05, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by thezeppelin8@November 21, 2005, 10:45 AM
Also, I remember reading that the Challenger was not going to be retro? that looks retro to me!
thats the first thing I thought about when I saw these pictures.

I think I like this challenger, it has one thing going for it that the 05/06 mustang doesen't, HIPS!!!
Old 11/21/05, 01:43 PM

Very nice and very interesting, if not wholely unexpected.

It's styling seems a touch too full-on retro for my tastes rather than a more modern interpretation of Challenger styling themes, but very nicely done in any case.

As for producability, I would guess much higher than some might think, especially given DCMC's record of bringing concept cars to production that faithfully reflect the concept's styling.

Another plus is that, presumably, this would be built on a shortened 300/Magnum/Charger platform, i.e., a lion's share of the engineering and production setup have already been done and amortized across a broad production base. Hack out 10 inches of wheelbase out of that chassis and drape it with it's own body and interior and voila, instant Challenger. Drivetrains could be readily yanked straight from the parts shelves with perhaps only the necessity of a MTX to add to the engineering/development load.

Also given the wide production base and the resultant economies of scale, one could anticipate Dodge sticking with the rather sophiscticated multi-link independant suspensions on all corners whereas Ford, with their bespoke S-197 chassis, were forced to pinch pennies and resort to lesser designs to meet their price points. This would certainly give Dodge the opportunity to distinguish themselves from the Stang in terms of superior all-around handling and ride dynamics. The Hemi itself is a heck of a motor and would offer a big step up in an R/T model from the Stang GT's 4.6.

In any case, all this is VERY interesting and intrigueing. This is expecially so given GM's toying with a neo F-car and redone GTO to add to the competitive mix, all of which should benefit us, the pony-car customers, the most.
Old 11/21/05, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont get how u guys wine about it being to retro, thats what we all wanted didnt we? I always wished companys would take the shell of a old school muscle car and just put modern stuff in it. Now dodge dillervers, come on this this is fing sweet.
Old 11/21/05, 02:10 PM
GT Member

I guess I'm the minority but i think it looks TOO retro and a lil
Old 11/21/05, 02:16 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TehSLeeper@November 21, 2005, 3:40 AM
that's really hot. Honestly, with that kind of power, if it is not to heavy I would be REALLY tempted to trade my car in for one.

I still think somehow Chrysler will screw this one up.
This concept looks really good! But they will probably end up making the production version a 4500 lb. four-door

I used to me a real Mopar guy. But I gave up waiting for a reasonably priced 2-door RWD V8 coupe, which they haven't built since the early 80's. When Daimler took over that was the last straw....

I'll always love the old A-bodies though....
Old 11/21/05, 02:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@November 21, 2005, 1:19 PM
huh? I am talking about the purple one you just posted. Looks just like Burningman's. Just want to make sure the designer gets the proper credit for his work.
That purple one is Burningman's. From his website.
Old 11/21/05, 02:33 PM
I'm people, and I like.

didn't expect so much backlash on it being retro... I love that it's retro. It just needs to be sleeker looking, it looks too fat. And that Grill has got to go!
Old 11/21/05, 02:57 PM
I'm people, and I like.

I'm comparing the DC Challenger and Doug's Challenger, and I see a lot of similarities... from the window lines, to the body lines, right down to the rims! DC Bastardos
Were you keeping it a secret from us Doug?

Old 11/21/05, 03:13 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by rhumb@November 21, 2005, 1:46 PM
Also given the wide production base and the resultant economies of scale, one could anticipate Dodge sticking with the rather sophiscticated multi-link independant suspensions on all corners whereas Ford, with their bespoke S-197 chassis, were forced to pinch pennies and resort to lesser designs to meet their price points. This would certainly give Dodge the opportunity to distinguish themselves from the Stang in terms of superior all-around handling and ride dynamics. The Hemi itself is a heck of a motor and would offer a big step up in an R/T model from the Stang GT's 4.6.
Exactly. This car will definitely not use SRA, which will give it a big advantage over the Stang. I expect Ford wil be forced to step up to the plate and offer some sort of H/O IRS Stang by the time this thing hits the market - and to those who doubt it will hit the market and think it is TOO retro: I say "unlikely" and "why?"

I'll put money down right now that says Dodge WILL build this car. Ford has proven the market research for successful retro muscle cars already - they've done the hard work - all Dodge has to do is introduce a modern Challenger/Cuda with more stuff, and bang, Bob's yer uncle: guaranteed sales volume!

I think it likely that this Challenger will offer more amenities than the Stang too - stuff like heated seats and NAV (which the Magnum and Charger both offer) so that will siphon sales away from Ford, unless they provide more creature comforts in future Stangs.

Either way, let the modern muscle car wars begin! I can't think of a better way to give all the imports ***** envy.
Old 11/21/05, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Red Star@November 21, 2005, 12:32 AM

I think the front end could have gotten much more attention. It almost looks like the hood and front half of the car shrunk. It can use another good foot of length, and bigger wheels, although i think lengthening the hood will solve my eye problems.

Is it only me....?
Old 11/21/05, 03:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@November 21, 2005, 4:00 PM
I'm comparing the DC Challenger and Doug's Challenger, and I see a lot of similarities... from the window lines, to the body lines, right down to the rims! DC Bastardos
Were you keeping it a secret from us Doug?

I like it overall, not as much as the stang. That said...I'm waiting to see what Doug says.

Old 11/21/05, 03:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by GhostGT@November 21, 2005, 4:21 PM
I think the front end could have gotten much more attention. It almost looks like the hood and front half of the car shrunk. It can use another good foot of length, and bigger wheels, although i think lengthening the hood will solve my eye problems.
Is it only me....?
It's not just you. I agree about the front looking "pinched".
Old 11/21/05, 03:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by adrenalin@November 21, 2005, 12:19 PM
huh? I am talking about the purple one you just posted. Looks just like Burningman's. Just want to make sure the designer gets the proper credit for his work.
autoweek had in their spy photos
Old 11/21/05, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

And they finally do something right! I like the overall look of it. True, the front end could maybe have a few adjustments done, but i need to see some more pics first.
Old 11/21/05, 03:46 PM

Before this:

do I wonder if Dodge will preserve at least 50 % of the design ; remembering the Concept of Charger that was very promising and this changed 100 %...?

Dodge Charger Concept : Pics Charger Concept

Old 11/21/05, 04:05 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
welp..part of me is happy and part of me wants to throttle them. If that car comes even close t looking like the concept in final trim I might be converting. I really like what they did...looks like they did exactly the same as me..only they had the money to make it real.
Old 11/21/05, 04:32 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 05mach1@November 21, 2005, 6:33 PM
autoweek had in their spy photos
Do you have a link to it? I just find it hard to believe one of Burningman's designs was posted as a spy photo.
Old 11/21/05, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't mind a little competition.

Old 11/21/05, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love it!!! Although I am a die-hard Mustang fan, I really have a soft spot for Mopar E-bodies so this new Challenger looks amazing. If Dodge does build this, then I might have to switch over. The only down side to this car is probably the price, in which I think the Mustang GT still has an advantage, but I guess we'll have to see in a couple years, won't we?
Old 11/21/05, 05:42 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry, they'll build it. Reasons...?

- DC has a history of bringing many concepts to reality.

- They're "allowing" these photos to be released even BEFORE the unveil at the autoshows early next year. Translation: They're trying to generate more than the usual hype so that they can guage consumer interest and determine whether or not to go forward.

- Pretty much all the parts they need to build this car are available, and much less R&D is necessary than was required for the new Stang. Translation: Easy to go from concept to reality with this puppy.

- Last but not least: DO YOU REALLY THINK WITH ONE OUT OF EVERY TWO NEW SPORTS CARS SOLD IN NORTH AMERICA BEING MUSTANGS, THAT DC IS NOT GOING TO TRY TO STEAL SOME OF THAT THUNDER AND CASH IN ON THAT ENORMOUS MARKET??!!! Of course they are.

- Plus the Chicago Tribune reported today a story which includes this sentence: Though Challenger is expected to join the Dodge lineup in about a year, Tom Tremont, vice president of advance product design for Chrysler Group, wouldn't confirm that timetable.

I say this new Challenger is a slam-dunk.

As to the "pinched" nose, wait till you see some other photos from other angles, folks. A bad angle doesn't always properly represent a car's overall look.

And about Burningman's front fascia looking better. Yeah, I agree. Probably they'll reserve THAT look for an SRT-8 Hemi-Cuda variant to compete with the GT500.

Quick Reply: First Spy Pic of Challenger Concept