Search this Thread

Old 7/27/04, 05:09 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 428CJ@July 27, 2004, 3:38 PM
LOL! SWEET!
OH MAN!!!

that is some funny stuff. i'm not gonna ruin it

seriuosly though. if you have the money for a corvette, wait a few years and get the mustang cobra in a few years
Old 7/27/04, 05:15 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

one word: CHEVY

Run! Fast and far away.
Old 7/27/04, 05:23 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Guys... PLEASE!

No one is more of a fanatic for Mustangs than I am, but the Vette is not a GTO. You have to drive it and experience it and I am sure that if anyone does would be impressed, and might even buy one.
Old 7/27/04, 05:46 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 428CJ@July 27, 2004, 4:18 PM
The Mustang would be more practical than the Corvette in ANY scenario, whether it be straightline, handling, interior, being small, being larger, being more connected to the road, being easier to drive, better offroad etc...
Better offroad?

I dunno i heard the new vette has sliverado suspension (along with interior).

Why do you think you see so many vettes with trailer hitches?
Old 7/27/04, 05:47 PM
GT Member

If you listen carefully......you can hear a Chevy rust at night......This is Ford Country.
Old 7/27/04, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I sympathize -- I've done the math, a brand new GT and a four year old C5 are about the same price . I've thought about it. I still think about it sometimes. Heck, I still think about getting an '03 Cobra instead of an '05 GT and making stupid horsepower for now, and then getting an '07 Cobra in a few years...

Dave
Old 7/27/04, 05:52 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Respect! Don't have to like them but one should respect them.

Corvette . . . the 'other' American Icon.
Old 7/27/04, 06:01 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, the Corvette is a rust bucket...and its made outta Fiberglass!

The Mustang is a much better all around car...the Corvette is just for driving around looking like your going to the golf course...
Old 7/27/04, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the C5. I'm going to look at a Z06 tommorow. I have wanted a Vette since I was 11. Night and day difference between the Corvette and the Mustang. Both cars are the best buy in their own price range though. I have never driven a z06 yet, but if it is as great as everyone says I know I will love it.

One question to anyone who has driven a Z06. I know how to drive a 6-speed but I have never driven a car with as much power as the Z, only 4 bangers. What is the best way to get the car rolling in first without peeling out? I guess I'm a newbie to manual transmission high HP vehicles!
Old 7/27/04, 06:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@July 27, 2004, 5:17 PM
I love the C5. I'm going to look at a Z06 tommorow. I have wanted a Vette since I was 11. Night and day difference between the Corvette and the Mustang. Both cars are the best buy in their own price range though. I have never driven a z06 yet, but if it is as great as everyone says I know I will love it.

One question to anyone who has driven a Z06. I know how to drive a 6-speed but I have never driven a car with as much power as the Z, only 4 bangers. What is the best way to get the car rolling in first without peeling out? I guess I'm a newbie to manual transmission high HP vehicles!
Before rolling it , if your unsure lightly rev it it to get a feel for it. That should prepare you. Then for a simple first take off, just rev to 1500 rpm and let go of the clutch. I think that will be a nice smooth launch with no chance of peling out. Obviously in the 4-banger underpowered cars you might be used to launching harder. Just remember you arent in one.
Old 7/27/04, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the tips!
Old 7/27/04, 06:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the C5 as a car but the interior stinked(and its not the only american 2 door I felt the same way about). The C6 flat out rocks
Old 7/27/04, 06:46 PM

We have a bunch of corvettes where I work, so I've seen some common problems.

C5
- Passenger side window water leak on all models (coupe, vert, Z06)
- Recall on steering wheel lock. I read on corvetteforum that it had a tendency to
lock while the vehicle was in motion and some members have still had the
problem after the recall fix.
- Painted surfaces look like the skin of an orange

C6
- Steering wheel lock has been caried over from the C5
- Chevy Malibu steering wheel
- Pillowy looking seats
- Front license plate holder / shoebox lid (probably not a problem in Florida)
- Painted surfaces still look like the skin of an orange

And finally:

- I can't find any evidence that Steve McQueen ever sat in a corvette.
Old 7/27/04, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ecgirard2@July 27, 2004, 5:07 PM
If I had the extra money and didn't need a back seat I would do it. The 2005 Mustang is a great car but you can get a Corvette now. No more waiting involved.

I almost wish at this point I had gotten my second choice, a RX8, instead of putting a deposit down on the Mustang.
AMEN BROTHER!!! I'm in the same situation- I want (and can afford) a sports car, but I need a rear seat for me, wife and my 9 yr. old son....my wife wanted me to get the Vette, but I informed her either she or our son would be sitting at home (unless I strapped antlers on my son's head and tied him to the front bumper) when I wanted to go cruising on the weekends. I,too, looked at the RX8 but it had no low end torque. Enter the Mustang, almost bought the Mach 1, but I couldn't pull the trigger with the thought of the '05 on the horizon....my nine year old now has the bug; he can't wait 'til we get the '05 GT.....THE LEGEND LIVES!
Old 7/27/04, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the Column lock was fixed for the new car. They just issued the recall for the C5 after knowing about the problem for 7 years. Bigger issues for the Corvettes are the

1. Oil Ring issues on the 2001 Z06.
2. The fuel gage "empty" error. which seems to be a problem for 2001 cars.
3. The rocking seat problems which will be replaced under warrenty.

The orange peel is just as bad on the Mustang. Both cars seem to have "thin" paint though.

The interior is not great on either car but it is a small oversight on the Vette. The reason for the C5 plastic interior is because they ran out of developmental money before the interior could be finished. The C5 team wound up stealing money from GM's truck division to get the first alpha cars built. Simply put they had no more money to work with in the interior. The C6 interior loojks like it has better quality but we will have to wait and see if that holds up past a few years or not. The interior design and layout is nothing to get excited about IMO.
Old 7/27/04, 07:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse@July 27, 2004, 5:08 PM
Doris?
Yes? need something?

But seriously, The 'Vette isn't a bad car. It's not Junk.

I'd still choose a Mustang over a Vette, but that's just me. There are plenty of others who would take the Vette instead. Neither is the wrong choice. It's just what you prefer. Drive both and make an informed decision for yourself.
Old 7/27/04, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ecgirard2@July 27, 2004, 4:07 PM
If I had the extra money and didn't need a back seat I would do it. The 2005 Mustang is a great car but you can get a Corvette now. No more waiting involved.

I almost wish at this point I had gotten my second choice, a RX8, instead of putting a deposit down on the Mustang.
I agree, with you about the backseat. But if I couldn't get either I would probably settle for the gto or a 300c. 2 totally different cars.. i know B)

No nissians, mazdas, isuzu's, toyotas, or hondas in my future. (yes I know ford owns mazda.)

EDIT: I'm a big time ford guy but if someone was going to give either one for free I would take the vette. For one reason. There are less of them on the road then their are mustangs. Most people can't afford to shell out that kind of money for a 2 seat car.

Jason
Old 7/27/04, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

All I can say is go drive one. I am having the same dilemma, continue waiting this ridiculous amount of time for the 05 Mustang or drop the 35K that's burning a hole in my pocket on a C5 with under 15K on the OD. Tough choice!

I am on my fourth Mustang and it's has 125,000 on the O.D.. The car has been relatively maintenance free except for a completely rebuilt transmissions (ugg). In any event one heck of a Car, I will be sad to see it go.

Both Mustang's and Corvette's have there share of quarky little problems coupled with the odd recall but in no way is one more trouble free than the other! I know because I have a entire file cabinet dedicated to repair bills for both Chevrolet and Ford vehicles!

This probably has not helped you with your decision but I just wanted you to know that you were not alone!

Good Luck in your decision!
Old 7/27/04, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you realise what 35k you and a 15k on the OD of a Cobra can do together??

You could get a 25k or 26k cobra, and buy a KENNE BELL for it!!!
Old 7/27/04, 08:51 PM

I think the Column lock was fixed for the new car.
I think you're right. Sorry 'bout that.

Quick Reply: Falling . . . for . . . Corvette . . .