General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Fait ticking from under hood

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/21, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fait ticking from under hood

I have a 2012 Roush Mustang GT I am trying to solve a problem. One afternoon I started to go shopping and while I was standing in the garage I heard a very faint tick tick tick every 15 seconds or so over and over. Does anyone have an idea where that is coming from?
Old 11/26/21, 10:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forums!

Well... and I'm just spit-balling a guess here, but it sounds like it's coming from the Mustang. Can't be sure of course, since I'm not there or there's no video...

I'm just playin, but the truth is an every 15 second tick without any other direction/location could be literally anything. From a heating up manifold (which you've heard ticks as things cool down right? Same thing) to a follower that's had the roller bearings fail to a transmission gear that's not quite happy... just anything.

It would perhaps be a good idea to try to locate the general if not specific area for better guesses from us. You can get a mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver or even a long hose and stick one end on the parts of the car that might be ticking, the other in your ear, and listen to see if you can find it that way. With that, we can do better. Or heck, you might just find it/figure it out yourself right off the bat, eh? Be sure to come back and tell us if that happens so maybe we can know it for next time, 'cause I sure don't right now.

I hope that helps a little even though it's vague. Do a little investigatin' and come on back with the report and maybe we'll figure it out!

/Still, I'm proud of my first guess. I know I'm totally right.

Last edited by houtex; 11/26/21 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11/26/21, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
Hi! Welcome to the forums!

Well... and I'm just spit-balling a guess here, but it sounds like it's coming from the Mustang. Can't be sure of course, since I'm not there or there's no video...

I'm just playin, but the truth is an every 15 second tick without any other direction/location could be literally anything. From a heating up manifold (which you've heard ticks as things cool down right? Same thing) to a follower that's had the roller bearings fail to a transmission gear that's not quite happy... just anything.

It would perhaps be a good idea to try to locate the general if not specific area for better guesses from us. You can get a mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver or even a long hose and stick one end on the parts of the car that might be ticking, the other in your ear, and listen to see if you can find it that way. With that, we can do better. Or heck, you might just find it/figure it out yourself right off the bat, eh? Be sure to come back and tell us if that happens so maybe we can know it for next time, 'cause I sure don't right now.

I hope that helps a little even though it's vague. Do a little investigatin' and come on back with the report and maybe we'll figure it out!

/Still, I'm proud of my first guess. I know I'm totally right.
I am certain the tick tick tick is electrical. Why because I can hear it even when the car has been sitting and engine cold.
Old 11/26/21, 03:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There we go, that helps. Didn't know it was off. So that's most likely a relay going off and on/being cycled, *probably*. It could also be a motor, an injector... or it could even not be electrical, just sound like maybe it is.

The problem is that even with knowing it's off, it's still too vague. You'll have to put your ear to work with the tools above. You'll find it. I believe in you! But yeah, you're gonna have to do investigation.

I'd start by simply taking the battery off and see if that stops it. If it does, it's obviously electrical. If not, then... well, it's not, and you keep looking, and that'll be fun to know when you figure it out, yessir.

If it does stop, then the next stop is the BEC on the right front of the engine compartment (or it should be, if they moved it in the Roush, wherever it is then.) You might find the relay, if that's what it is in the first place, and it's here in the first place, doing the clicking in there. You might can even put a finger on it and feel it clicking. Or the above tools mentioned. If you hear/feel it, then you can just pull it straight out and see if it stops. If it does, whatever that relay gets power from, that's the reason. Not necessarily the relay itself although that could be it as well. So more diagnosis is needed, but at least you're at the right place and can go from there chasing wiring or whatever it is that's causing it, and eventually fixing it, yay.

Now, let's say the relays in the BEC aren't the ticking issue. It's not even there, it's elsewhere. But we still have the battery test saying it's electrical. At this point you just start removing fuses one by one in the BEC until you get the ticking to stop. Whatever that fuse is, that circuit contains your culprit. Then the 'more diagnosis' thing happens.

If no fuses in the BEC 'find' your ticking and turn it off, then the other fuse box at the SJB (passenger kick panel) is in order. Same deal, pull fuses one by one until that ticking stops. Hit the lucky fuse, and you know where to go from there.

Of course, if Roush added wiring, or someone else has added some this or that, and the fuses for the new items are not contained in the two stock locations you'll have to hunt them down wherever they are in the car and try those too.

Using that method... again *if* it's electrical in the first place... You *will* find it.

Which is can still not be electrical. Sounds like it, sure, from here. But I still am recommending your ear(s) and the above instruments of listening be applied before jumpin' in the rest.

And to be sure... sorry about that. But that's how you do it. There's not likey going to be any shortcuts or 'absolutely this is it' from here. Oh, someone may come in and say such, but grains of salt. I've been *absolutely convinced* I had the solution, said it, and poof, not even close. Which is why from waaaaay over here, guesses aren't helpful, but hopefully the above can be.

I wish ya luck in your chase! Keep us posted, we'll see what we can do from there, but off ya go, get to listenin'/relay & fuse pullin'!

Last edited by houtex; 11/26/21 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11/27/21, 08:34 AM

There we go, that helps. Didn't know it was off. So that's most likely a relay going off and on/being cycled, *probably*. It could also be a motor, an injector... or it could even not be electrical, just sound like maybe it is.

The problem is that even with knowing it's off, it's still too vague. You'll have to put your ear to work with the tools above. You'll find it. I believe in you! But yeah, you're gonna have to do investigation.

I'd start by simply taking the battery off and see if that stops it. If it does, it's obviously electrical. If not, then... well, it's not, and you keep looking, and that'll be fun to know when you figure it out, yessir.

If it does stop, then the next stop is the BEC on the right front of the engine compartment (or it should be, if they moved it in the Roush, wherever it is then.) You might find the relay, if that's what it is in the first place, and it's here in the first place, doing the clicking in there. You might can even put a finger on it and feel it clicking. Or the above tools mentioned. If you hear/feel it, then you can just pull it straight out and see if it stops. If it does, whatever that relay gets power from, that's the reason. Not necessarily the relay itself although that could be it as well. So more diagnosis is needed, but at least you're at the right place and can go from there chasing wiring or whatever it is that's causing it, and eventually fixing it, yay.

Now, let's say the relays in the BEC aren't the ticking issue. It's not even there, it's elsewhere. But we still have the battery test saying it's electrical. At this point you just start removing fuses one by one in the BEC until you get the ticking to stop. Whatever that fuse is, that circuit contains your culprit. Then the 'more diagnosis' thing happens.

If no fuses in the BEC 'find' your ticking and turn it off, then the other fuse box at the SJB (passenger kick panel) is in order. Same deal, pull fuses one by one until that ticking stops. Hit the lucky fuse, and you know where to go from there.

Of course, if Roush added wiring, or someone else has added some this or that, and the fuses for the new items are not contained in the two stock locations you'll have to hunt them down wherever they are in the car and try those too.

Using that method... again *if* it's electrical in the first place... You *will* find it.

Which is can still not be electrical. Sounds like it, sure, from here. But I still am recommending your ear(s) and the above instruments of listening be applied before jumpin' in the rest.

And to be sure... sorry about that. But that's how you do it. There's not likey going to be any shortcuts or 'absolutely this is it' from here. Oh, someone may come in and say such, but grains of salt. I've been *absolutely convinced* I had the solution, said it, and poof, not even close. Which is why from waaaaay over here, guesses aren't helpful, but hopefully the above can be.

I wish ya luck in your chase! Keep us posted, we'll see what we can do from there, but off ya go, get to listenin'/relay & fuse pullin'!
You mentioned a relay. Could it be coming from the starter relay in the Power distribution box? Those are fairly cheap. I might just replace it and see what happens. What I need to do is take it to the Ford House and have a complete diagnostic test run.
Old 11/27/21, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I was gonna say some more stuff, but I deleted it and then went with this:

I'm still not sure it's a relay, and pretty sure it's not *directly* the relay, but what's commanding it, IF it's a relay doing the clicking at all. You've not really said *where* the clicking is happening, just that you hear it. That still leaves a boat load... ok, Mustang load... of places it can do that.

You need to listen first. Find the area. Get it pinned down. Otherwise you're just gonna shotgun parts at the thing and that's no way to diagnose/fix a car like that. It'll frustrate you when it doesn't fix it, and tick you off you spent money you didn't need to.

If you hear it in the BEC, fine, the fuse/relay pulls are still in order. If it's not there, then where is it?

You pull the relay if you find it is one of those and then wait. Did the ticking in fact stop? No? Not the relay. Keep pulling things (putting them back of course as you go) one by one and repeat the wait. One of them should be it... if any of them are it, of course, because far as I can tell it could still be anything/anywhere.

If you don't want to do this, that's fine. Understandable. Time and hassle and all that. However, just imagine paying the bill you're contemplating for having someone else do this test. All of a sudden, I'd have the time, myself.

You do you, of course. I hope I've helped, but it's all up to you doin' what you need to and think is best. Still wanna know what it is, so do tell when you find out?

Last edited by houtex; 11/27/21 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11/28/21, 04:52 AM

I was gonna say some more stuff, but I deleted it and then went with this:

I'm still not sure it's a relay, and pretty sure it's not *directly* the relay, but what's commanding it, IF it's a relay doing the clicking at all. You've not really said *where* the clicking is happening, just that you hear it. That still leaves a boat load... ok, Mustang load... of places it can do that.

You need to listen first. Find the area. Get it pinned down. Otherwise you're just gonna shotgun parts at the thing and that's no way to diagnose/fix a car like that. It'll frustrate you when it doesn't fix it, and tick you off you spent money you didn't need to.

If you hear it in the BEC, fine, the fuse/relay pulls are still in order. If it's not there, then where is it?

You pull the relay if you find it is one of those and then wait. Did the ticking in fact stop? No? Not the relay. Keep pulling things (putting them back of course as you go) one by one and repeat the wait. One of them should be it... if any of them are it, of course, because far as I can tell it could still be anything/anywhere.

If you don't want to do this, that's fine. Understandable. Time and hassle and all that. However, just imagine paying the bill you're contemplating for having someone else do this test. All of a sudden, I'd have the time, myself.

You do you, of course. I hope I've helped, but it's all up to you doin' what you need to and think is best. Still wanna know what it is, so do tell when you find out?
I am going to take it to Grapevine Ford and let them do a diagnostic test. Your right, if it is a relay what is causing the relay to do it.