General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Death of Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/05, 09:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/06/01/auto_s...reut/index.html

I also read an article today stating that Ford has been on a 12 month decline in sales, the longest in recent memory. I'm worried that Ford and other American automotive companies days are numbered.

Personally, I wish Ford would drop their SUV's and bring back classics like the Falcon and Torino and make a Mustang hybrid as an option. Instead of dying with the internal combustion engine, take a chance and be the first to build enviro-friendly sports cars. It's been proven possible and I believe it's the only way American auto industries can get ahead of the foriegn competition.

If Ford's sales of their other vehichles doesn't go up then Ford will go under. That would mean the end (shudders) of the Mustang . What say you?
Old 6/2/05, 09:27 AM
Cobra Member

Ford needs to do a lot of things, starting with getting rid of Mercury. Does anyone buy them anymore? It would also help if Ford made more "moving" vehicles. Everything has been so boring lately. Obviously this year, with the Mustang, they made a step in the right direction, but the 500 is just "blah". I mean, it is nice and all with the AWD, but it is underpowered and just has no personality. Hopefully the Fusion will ignite some excitement in the compact segment. I think the biggest problem with all of the American car companies is the same...no creativity on the standard cars. Does GM make anything exciting anymore other than those vehicles above $50,000? I love the Mustang, but as I think about it, it is the only American car I would have considered. Nothing else even comes close. I would have had to have gone used German or Vette had it not been for the Mustang. Thank God for it.
Old 6/2/05, 09:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Don't worry Andrew, it won't happen. All the other companies need each other to have positive competition for better vehicles. And no I don't see the Mustang going anywhere. They had to up production this year just to keep up, and still many people aren't gonna get their 05's.

Also don't trust everything you read. CNN tends to focus on the American companies because of the locale. Right now there has been a major hike in crude oil prices which has caused a decline in sales for ALL companies regardless. Its just the way the economy moves. Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, Ford, GM, and so on are all suffering at this point. And remember that was just for the sales of May. GM has been having the roughest time of all but they're not going anywhere either.

I hope this helps and I'm someone else here with a little more knowledge than I can even better explain
Old 6/2/05, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

The big 3 are getting their respective ***** kicked right now. I, for one, do not believe their days are "numbered" - they just need some serious bandages right now. Call me patriotic or dilusional, but I believe in America's big 3 and do believe they will get back into the game. Their product quality has been improving substantially in the last few years and it will pay off. The big 3 are coming out with they hybrids, even the trucks (chevy silverado for example). Where's your faith man? :flag2: And - it would not hurt if people in the good ole USA would try to support American companies more - BUY AMERICAN.

Just my 2 cents
Old 6/2/05, 09:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by KansasCityTim@June 2, 2005, 10:30 AM
I love the Mustang, but as I think about it, it is the only American car I would have considered. Nothing else even comes close. I would have had to have gone used German or Vette had it not been for the Mustang. Thank God for it.
Last time I checked, the Vette was an American car.
Old 6/2/05, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@June 2, 2005, 9:32 AM
Last time I checked, the Vette was an American car.
I should have said only new American car I would have considered that I could afford. (<$35,000)
Old 6/2/05, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I will admit I am biased...I do own a mustang

However....

Most people my age buy an import because they are certain "they're built better" or "get much better gas milage"......right. Most of these same people don't realize most of the "imports" are made in the USA now. I actually had a Xterra owner tell me he "can't believe I bought one of those gas hog mustangs" Uh...Xterra have worse gas milage than the mustang (as long as you keep your foot out of it).
I don't know if it's reality or mentality we would have to change....

I do like the idea of a hybrid sports car...but only if it had the Ooomph! Ford has many "exotics" that are not really that exotic...but just need a segment to fall in love with....and they would buy them.

God...people buy the SSR....they will buy anything....

Jay
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05stangster@June 2, 2005, 11:32 AM
The big 3 are getting their respective ***** kicked right now. I, for one, do not believe their days are "numbered" - they just need some serious bandages right now. Call me patriotic or dilusional, but I believe in America's big 3 and do believe they will get back into the game. Their product quality has been improving substantially in the last few years and it will pay off. The big 3 are coming out with they hybrids, even the trucks (chevy silverado for example). Where's your faith man? :flag2: And - it would not hurt if people in the good ole USA would try to support American companies more - BUY AMERICAN.

Just my 2 cents

Agreed, American quality has improved so much and yes it will take time for them to win over people but it will happen. Look at toyota, the corolla and camry both failed the side crash tes and the tacoma failed the rollover test. Not to mention they just recently had a 880,000 truck recall. People are going to start opening they're eyes and gravitating back to good ole American cars soon!
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by KansasCityTim@June 2, 2005, 10:35 AM
I should have said only new American car I would have considered that I could afford. (<$35,000)
I know what you meant. I was just yanking your chain a bit.
Old 6/2/05, 09:34 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When Ford starts selling off its other divisions like Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover, ect... then we will start to worry.
Old 6/2/05, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Tim... the everyday cars that most people can afford just aren't very stylish anymore. They aren't exciting. And the Japanese alternatives are.

We used to have the imports on looks... The imports were usually more reliable and had great gas mileage, but the domestic cars just plain looked cooler and were more fun to drive.

Now the imports look cool, are fun to drive, are affordable.. AND their resale value is MUCH higher than domestics.

I love American made products and have owned a Mustang since '91 and will soon order another one... but if the US companies don't start doing what Ford did in respect to the Mustang to make their "affordable" cars more appealing and of higher quality then it's just a matter of time.

And yeah I agree that they should definately look into hybrid cars. They need to be more of the leaders not followers in the game, which it seems is the case all too often nowadays.
Old 6/2/05, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

They need to fix the issues with the Ford GT and sell a bunch.
Old 6/2/05, 10:13 AM
GT Member

Am I gonna get slammed for saying if I could afford it, I would have bought a Boxster in a minute.

I got a Mustang because it was cheapest vert with some interior space.

I love the way the Chrysler looks, but I couldn't afford that either.

Ford isn't going anywhere. The government will bail them out before they let them go.

It would stink, though. Our warrenties would be worthless.
Old 6/2/05, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fellser@June 2, 2005, 10:16 AM
Am I gonna get slammed for saying if I could afford it, I would have bought a Boxster in a minute.

I got a Mustang because it was cheapest vert with some interior space.

I love the way the Chrysler looks, but I couldn't afford that either.

Ford isn't going anywhere. The government will bail them out before they let them go.

It would stink, though. Our warrenties would be worthless.
I am not going to slam you, but in my opinion, I like the Mustang much better than the Boxster. The Mustang, I think, looks better, is faster, and is roomier. Also, if you plan to keep either longer than 3-4 years, the cost of repair on the Mustang will pale in comparison to a Boxster. I have said it before that there are very few cars out there for under $55-60k I would rather have. My boss just bought a new E350, and if I had to drive it and couldn't sell it, I wouldn't trade her straight up. The cheapest cars that start to entice me more than the Mustang are the vette, and then perhaps Carreras after that.
Old 6/2/05, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford needs to stream line it's product line - does it really need Lincoln and Mercury? If they can build a performance supercar like the Ford GT, then I think they can handle a luxury line on it's own.

Do we need so many SUV and Truck models?

How about trying harder to compete in the compact, sub-compact, and midsize
sedan markets?

Bring some of the cars from Ford Australia over here.

And of course, build more Mustang GT's !!!
Old 6/2/05, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Sad thing is, if Ford could somehow get dealers to quit the mark-up game, you'd STILL not see a Mustang on a lot. People would snap em up as quickly as Ford could get them out the door. It wouldn't solve all their problems, but it'd get them moving in the right direction.
Old 6/2/05, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

While unit sales are a definite concern for Ford and the other American auto manufacturers, the greatest area of financial liability for these companies are with their defined benefit plans (pensions) and non-retirement related benefit plans (health insurance); just look at their financial statements. It is my understanding that American auto manufacturers have a significantly greater liability in these areas than their foreign competitors do. I'm certainly not arguing that I'm against retirement and health care plans, as most Americans rely on these benefits (including myself), but these liabilities put the American auto manufacturers at a competitive disadvantage to their foreign competitors.

I'm guessing that these liabilities have led to cost cutting measures in other areas of the company (such as the quality, originality and content of their vehicles) by Ford, GM and Chrysler, which in the past has led to many uninspiring, unpopular vehicles with poor quality.

Also, Ford and GM in the past have had a greater focus on the truck and SUV markets, than in passenger vehicles. This is a problem with gas prices increasing and demand for trucks and SUVs declining. Over the past few years, there seems to be more development dollars and a greater focus being put into passenger vehicles, such as the Mustang, 500, Freestyle and Fusion for Ford. We'll have to see how these new products affect Ford's bottom line, hopefully for the better.
Old 6/2/05, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree with dumping the Mercury name, and then focus on Lincoln for their up-market lines. Give Lincoln a full range of entry-level luxury vehicles all the way up to something equivilent to a decent Jaguar. Give SVT greater resources and influence.

But the thing they've really got to do is break the absolute power the unions hold over the automakers. I'm 100% in favor of legislative reform of the union system, we simply do not need the same kinds of unions as we needed 80 years ago ... reforming the systems so that corporations can retain at least some semblance of control over who works for them, and how much they get paid, would instantly alleviate dozens of problems for car makers, as well as countless other industries. We desperately need modernization, both for quality and cost controls.
Old 6/2/05, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

i think the somewhat bland styling on the 500 might be pretty good. i think the little refresh its gonna get, with the three bar chrome grill, it should be about perfect. I think cars that really make a splash, like the 300, only get tired real quick, it'll need a significant redesign pretty early on, cause people will be sick of it real soon, i know i already am, i think its ugly after really liking it at first. I think the 500 styling has lasting power, it won't grow tired very soon, people won't be sick of it, meaning they won't have to do an expensive mid-cycle redesign. I also think that, while most of us on this sight are obviously into cars like the mustang, cars that are bold in design, i think most people looking for a large sedan don't want something that stands out like that, they want something conservative.
Sales on the 500 are gradually going up, i think they'll hit a nice bump when it gets that new grill tacked on. i think it'll be a consistent seller for a couple years, while the 300 is only gonna lose sales from where its at now. And the Fusion will provide younger people with a more spicy car, again without going over the top with styling though.

Hybrids are on their way, the Fusion and Milan are getting hybrids, but i agree (check my sig) that a hybrid stang would do a lot to help ford's image. A hybrid stang would be the perfect car for people who want a cool looking, fast car, but have a concsious about what they're doing to the planet.
We already know hybrids can perform. The Honda Accord hybrid does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, that's quicker than a v6 stang. A hybrid stang with performance somewhere between the GT and the V6 would be right up my alley.

Just a side-note, Toyota's up coming super car is rumoured to possibly be powered by a hybrid drivetrain. Also, the Lexus LS600 will be a V8+electric hybrid, supposedly offering the power of a V10. That'll make three Lexus cars where the top performance version will be a hybrid. Pretty cool.
Old 6/2/05, 11:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just a side-note, Toyota's up coming super car is rumoured to possibly be powered by a hybrid drivetrain. Also, the Lexus LS600 will be a V8+electric hybrid, supposedly offering the power of a V10. That'll make three Lexus cars where the top performance version will be a hybrid. Pretty cool.
No offense but to me toyota will always = JUNK!!
IF they even bring out those cars, which will probably be b u t t ugly anyway, they'll be so overpriced they won't even sell!

Look at the SC430's!!! 63k for a car that looks like a camry with Rosie O'Donnell's **** glued to the back!!!

You could have 2 NEW GT's for that!!!

And I don't trust toyota and their hybrids. They can't even get them right!! The Priuses are stalling while driving!!! JUNK I say JUNK!!!

Quick Reply: Death of Ford?