General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Chrysler Development Chief Slags the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/08, 08:52 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
When an econobox like a Civic can manage IRS at its price point, well... what more is there to say, really?
civic doesn't have IRS, uses torsion bar or somthing. focus on the other hand does have a true IRS, so your point still stands.
Old 2/12/08, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the point of the Civic *** IRS comment was that an IRS need not cost $5 grand extra over a buggy axle rear, as Ford laughingly tried to imply at various points. Perhaps a Mazda Miata or RX-8, or Nissan 350Z would make that point slightly better in that they are all RWD too, roughly around the Mustangs price points and all have very modern and effective IRS systems with the former two having even more effective multilink (twin A arm?) front suspensions, forged aluminum in the RX-8s case.

The true extra costs probably would have been well under $1K, maybe more like $500, as indicated by the "99 Cobra with its admittedly cobbled together system or hinted at by that Ford questionnaire that circulated around a few months back. Both the lively axle and IRS have their positives and negatives, often related to specific buyer needs (low budget cruiser, drag racer, road racer, tourer). I have the impression that the S197 development program got a bit out of hand, over budget and off schedule, and it was more *****rdliness than anything else that drove the live axle only decision -- and perhaps a lack of direct competition too, a situation that will be very different very shortly. My hope is that Ford will, under pressure from intense competition, will be forced to finally release an IRS option even if a higher engineering sense of overall driving excellence didn't seem to carry the day over the lure of easy immediate profits.

In any case, it will really take some head-to-head testing between the Camaro, Challenger and Stang to really assess the overall performance of their respective suspension systems, both the more easily measured and attained quantitative aspects (skidpad numbers) and more challenging qualitative aspects (feedback, control, compliance and composure over various roads).
Old 2/12/08, 09:39 AM
Cobra Member

The new Challenger looks sharp! But, I would never buy a Chrysler or Dodge. My Boss has had his 300C in the shop at least 9 times.
He said he will eventually sell it, and buy the new Lincoln MKS.
Old 2/12/08, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Okay, so the Challenger has IRS. We all know that IRS cures cancer, stops global warming and brings world peace. It is unfortunate however, that the Challenger weighs 4140 lbs (or about 2 Miatas).

The full size sedan curb weight will likely offset any advantage the Challenger has over a even a lowly Mustang GT, with it's caveman live axle that causes every Mustang ever made (except for the IRS equipped Cobras, of course) to fly off the roadway at any speed over 5 mph, flip multiple times, land on its roof and explode, killing all occupants and contributing greenhouse gasses to cause even more global warming.
Old 2/12/08, 10:48 AM
Cobra R Member

A little off-topic, but what aftermarket options are available for the S197 to combat the dreaded "IRS" menace?
Old 2/12/08, 02:12 PM
Cobra Member

What about the Civic not having RWD has anything to do with it having IRS?

That's right, nothing.

Next...
yes it does, there is a big difference between IRS on a FWD vehicle and IRS on a RWD vehicle....
Old 2/12/08, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Okay, so the Challenger has IRS. We all know that IRS cures cancer, stops global warming and brings world peace. It is unfortunate however, that the Challenger weighs 4140 lbs (or about 2 Miatas).

The full size sedan curb weight will likely offset any advantage the Challenger has over a even a lowly Mustang GT, with it's caveman live axle that causes every Mustang ever made (except for the IRS equipped Cobras, of course) to fly off the roadway at any speed over 5 mph, flip multiple times, land on its roof and explode, killing all occupants and contributing greenhouse gasses to cause even more global warming.
Why would anyone buy a Mustang?
Old 2/12/08, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
I think the point of the Civic *** IRS comment was that an IRS need not cost $5 grand extra over a buggy axle rear, as Ford laughingly tried to imply at various points. Perhaps a Mazda Miata or RX-8, or Nissan 350Z would make that point slightly better in that they are all RWD too, roughly around the Mustangs price points and all have very modern and effective IRS systems with the former two having even more effective multilink (twin A arm?) front suspensions, forged aluminum in the RX-8s case.

The true extra costs probably would have been well under $1K, maybe more like $500, as indicated by the "99 Cobra with its admittedly cobbled together system or hinted at by that Ford questionnaire that circulated around a few months back. Both the lively axle and IRS have their positives and negatives, often related to specific buyer needs (low budget cruiser, drag racer, road racer, tourer). I have the impression that the S197 development program got a bit out of hand, over budget and off schedule, and it was more *****rdliness than anything else that drove the live axle only decision -- and perhaps a lack of direct competition too, a situation that will be very different very shortly. My hope is that Ford will, under pressure from intense competition, will be forced to finally release an IRS option even if a higher engineering sense of overall driving excellence didn't seem to carry the day over the lure of easy immediate profits.

In any case, it will really take some head-to-head testing between the Camaro, Challenger and Stang to really assess the overall performance of their respective suspension systems, both the more easily measured and attained quantitative aspects (skidpad numbers) and more challenging qualitative aspects (feedback, control, compliance and composure over various roads).
Yes
Old 2/12/08, 02:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WaltM
A little off-topic, but what aftermarket options are available for the S197 to combat the dreaded "IRS" menace?
Hey Walt, if your looking to get rid of some axle hop, then you can go with a Watts Link rear suspension. Its on the PJ Saleen cars. One guy in our Bad Mustangs group has one and it rides NICE!!! The Saleen setup is a little pricey at $999, and it just had a recall , but was taken care of from Saleen. Others are using the Fays2 setup. I too am looking into his company's as the kit is less than $700, and they don't use the diff cover as a mounting point. Something you may want to look into.
Old 2/12/08, 03:00 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crucut
Quote:
"Frankly, we'd rather run like a thoroughbred than ride like a pony," Chrysler product development chief Frank Klegon told an audience during the SRT8's roll-out, bragging that the vehicle is the only car in its class with a modern five-link independent rear suspension

""in it's class"...

Since when is a Civic in the same class as the Mustang and Challenger?
To reiterate my essential point: What does the Civic's class have to do with the fact that it is an econobox that nonetheless manages to have an IRS in the mix...when we are 'told' that it would be too expensive for Ford's premium coupe, which frankly, is utter bullsh*t.
Old 2/12/08, 03:03 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Knight
civic doesn't have IRS, uses torsion bar or somthing. focus on the other hand does have a true IRS, so your point still stands.
Civic certainly does use a fully independent suspension. It's actually MacPherson strut front suspension and double wishbone rear suspension.
Old 2/12/08, 03:11 PM
Closet American

Are you being sarcastic? I think you're being sarcastic.
Old 2/12/08, 03:41 PM
Cobra Member

Old 2/12/08, 03:50 PM
Closet American

I give up. You're right. The iron girder is the way to go.

I'll just ignore the twitchy rear end on patched and potholded city streets because I love my car regardless.
Old 2/12/08, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I knew we'd bring you around eventually! JK It's all good man, enjoy your stang!
Old 2/12/08, 04:12 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by crucut
I knew we'd bring you around eventually! JK It's all good man, enjoy your stang!
Yeah, I love my car. The biggest issue for me personally, is not that the Stang doesn't handle well enough (it certainly does for what I subject it to), it's more the ride quality over bad roads. It just doesn't feel as settled as cars I've owned with fully independent setups - it tends to transfer all the road shock up through the chassis.

On the other hand, when you take a corner a little too fast and the tail slides out a bit - then snaps back in - ya gotta love that! I just don't do it on broken pavement.
Old 2/12/08, 09:11 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Lol, I'm gonna steal this pic, its to funny to let wither and die on some thread.
Old 2/12/08, 09:12 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
If by different you mean antiquated, then sure, I'll buy that.
Hah, you say antiquated, I say nostalgic!
Old 2/12/08, 09:58 PM
FR500 Member

... and the IRS/SRA debate continues. (need a "beat a dead horse" smiley )

I want to wait and see what the "final numbers" are once the Challengers start making their way into the hands of the buying public. Don't see anything wrong with a little chest thumping. Personally, I think the Mustang will still have the edge by virtue of its lighter weight - GT500 included. If not, it should give Ford incentive to improve the next version of the Mustang.
Old 2/12/08, 11:41 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by bob
Hah, you say antiquated, I say nostalgic!
You say nostalgic, I say Jurassic.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Development Chief Slags the Mustang