General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Chevy Camaro arrives at Nürburgring sporting Brembos

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/08, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, I beg to differ. There are lots of things that other car companies build into their designs that we Mustang owners wouldn't mind at all. I really miss auto-sensing headlights, but my Stang is a DD. However, think about the number of Mustang owners that have lamented over...Storage! No places to put hardly anything in the cabin outside of the center console. I miss having more storage. My tiny Celica had more storage than my Mustang does. I'm not saying it's the most important thing, and that those small things are in any way the principal reason anyone buys a car like this. But it would make the Mustang all the more competitive if Ford thought to build some of those little conveniences into the Mustang as well, and not just in vehicles like the Edge.

As a parting thought, if Ford kept up a little better in all areas of the market, there might be a few more Mustang owners...
Old 4/12/08, 02:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
It all depends on what you like... anyway I think most Mustang owners are loyal to the brand because of it's heritage and the enjoyment of driving. LOL if you're looking to purchase a Mustang, you're not shopping for storage and convenience and in my opinion, these things are not what most Mustang owners care about.

Anyway......
Old 4/12/08, 08:57 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But,most Mustang buyers aren't diehard loyalists. Most buyers are just regular people looking for a sporty ride that they will trade off in 4-5 years without a care. These are the people that will care about things like storage and rain-sensing wipers,these are the people that will cross-shop a Accord coupe vs a Mustang vs a Explorer. Believe me,i used to sell cars,the buyer coming in there with a clear purpose and goal to buy a specific car was rare,almost unheard of. It's this people that like the little things,like Mycolor and other silliness.
If it just enthusiasts Ford had to worry about,they'd just build V8 Mustangs with stick-shifts and be done with it,but that V6 Mustang buyer is the fickle one that could be swayed by a feature the Genesis offers that the Mustang does not.Looks and heritage only take you so far.
I'm not bashing the Mustang mind you,i think Ford has done an incredible job with this generation. I'm just saying that Ford should and probably IS,thinking about cars like the Genesis. It can't be ignored. The majority of buyers care about price first,looks second,peformance third. Maybe price and looks are tied,but heritage is a distant 4th.always.
Old 4/12/08, 09:28 PM
GT Member

I like it!

I think I'll buy one after the groupies stop driving the price through the roof. It will fit nicely between the Vista vert and Alloy Coupe.
Old 4/12/08, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinGT
I like it!

I think I'll buy one after the groupies stop driving the price through the roof. It will fit nicely between the Vista vert and Alloy Coupe.
Haha! My two favorite colors of Mustangs. Nice choice!
Old 4/16/08, 05:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think all our cars need is a GT500 front fascia and a 4v Di 5.0 and some meatier tires out back..less weight..and better weight distribution and a lower price (hahahaha) and im ready to go
Old 4/16/08, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

Aesthetically, I would be content if they left the current car pretty much as it was (with a few tweaks here and there) and simply added some hips. I think I'm one of the few that actually prefers the regular front fascia over that of the GT500.
Old 4/16/08, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
I dont think we even need to wait for ford to "bring up" there game in 2010....I think our cars already look alot better than this "thing"
I agree. And if I'm not mistaken the whole body is aluminum. So , if that is the case, and the whole body does what our aluminum hoods do, that car will be one big blister ! GM already has had warranty issues exactly like our problem hoods. In fact the aluminum panels in question were hoods. Put those panels down low in the line of fire of salt, stone chips, etc. and you have a recipe for disaster !
Old 5/6/08, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom, I disagree, my daily driver is a 2005 F-450 Lariat, the highest level trim package for a 2005 super duty truck. It has automatic temperature control with outside temperature (a MUST have if you drive where it freezes) and automatic headlights. I absolutely LOVE these features, and doing without them is like stepping back to dial up internet access or an old 14 inch CRT monitor, they are just never expectable again after you have moved beyond.

Every time I drive one of my Mustangs I miss them terribly and can't for the life of me figure out why Ford thinks ambient lighting, or a trunk full of stereo parts are must have options and these two very useful options are not???

Besides automatic headlights were on high-end American cars LONG before the imports figured out what a must have feature they were.

Originally Posted by tom281
Most Mustang owners could care less about auto-on sensing headlights and some of the other "features" that imports build into their cars.

It will be interesting to see what the real, live Camaro is from GM. Everything up to this point is still rumor if you ask me.
Old 5/8/08, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Boy, as glad as I am there is a Camaro on the market, I'd be lying if I told anyone I would pass on a Challenger or Mustang to buy one.

The styling is just a liitle quirky looking to me, almost an identity crisis. Just not digging the retro meets Transformers styling, but that's just me.

As far as performance goes, I expect GTO(ish) performance, and competitive to the SRT8 Challenger. Personally, I'd rather buy a GT and modify it to meet my expectations, or buy a Challenger.

One thing I have noticed is that the new Camaro has not seemed to generate as much enthusiasm as the 05 Mustang and the new Challenger have.
Old 5/8/08, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the front, the side profile and hate the back - the curve on the deck needs to zero degrees - the back makes the car look cheap to me. Depressing.
Old 5/8/08, 04:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well, I say to beat the Camaro at its own game, Ford should really test the next Mustang at the 'ring too.
Old 5/9/08, 12:40 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
..not like it's going to make it a better car if they test it at the 'ring.

They can tune the mustang elsewhere without trying to build hype.
Old 5/12/08, 06:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
..not like it's going to make it a better car if they test it at the 'ring.

They can tune the mustang elsewhere without trying to build hype.
The Ring is a great testbed. I would love for Ford to test more there. GM has really embraced the Ring and it really has paid off.

I think that the Camaro will be an eye opener in this segment. The reviews of the G8's suspension/brakes/handling have been praised. C&D recently said that it's really close to a BMW, for a lot less coin.
Old 5/13/08, 10:52 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah I agree taking it there to test is nice and all... it tests numerious things on the track and all that jazz.

I doubt you'll ever see Ford there though.
It'll draw direct comparisons to the 2 cars and their times.. which really have (other than bragging rights) hold no real value.. unless they are tested on the same day by the same driver etc

Ford will do their own testing elsewhere,
just because its not at a greenhell, doesn't mean its going to be any worse or better.

Did Ford test the GT there?
I know some mags/people took it out there and it was around 7:42 (god bless the internet)

People just want to see times and brag...bfd

Last edited by Boomer; 5/13/08 at 11:05 AM.
Old 5/13/08, 02:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Yeah I agree taking it there to test is nice and all... it tests numerious things on the track and all that jazz.

I doubt you'll ever see Ford there though.
It'll draw direct comparisons to the 2 cars and their times.. which really have (other than bragging rights) hold no real value.. unless they are tested on the same day by the same driver etc

Ford will do their own testing elsewhere,
just because its not at a greenhell, doesn't mean its going to be any worse or better.

Did Ford test the GT there?
I know some mags/people took it out there and it was around 7:42 (god bless the internet)

People just want to see times and brag...bfd
And Ford will be behind in their suspension tuning. A lot more cars are tuned there and it really helps. Like I said, in a few short years of testing, GM has seen some good results. Just look at the new CTS-V for example!

The Mustang might be cheaper and lighter than the Camaro, but the G8 is a good example of what the Camaro can do. The Camaro will be 100-200 lbs lighter, so that will help as well. Times are changing and eventually Ford will be forced to modernize the suspension.
Old 5/13/08, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I've never been a Chevy guy so what I think really does not matter...but, my God, what an ugly car.