General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Which car to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/05, 02:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TomServo92@December 11, 2005, 1:35 PM
Before I bought my Mazda6, I test drove all the cars on my short list (Accord, Camry, Altima, and 6). I quickly narrowed it down to the Altima and 6. The Altima definitely had the advantage in the engine department, but it came down to handling and overall driving experience. Whereas the 6 felt razor sharp, the Altima just felt ponderous and heavy by comparison (the excessive torque steer didn't help either). While the Altima is a nice car, I chose the 6 and never regretted it.
I test drove the 6, just not for the same length of time as the Altima, so I couldn't compare handling directly. I do remember it seemed nice through the few corners on the test loop. I gave the Altima a good thrashing, though, and did notice some pondersousness (?), and especially the torque steer. It loved to chirp the tires.

I liked the 6 because of the wagon, but between the two, would probably go with the Altima because of comfort. Maybe I could put the Altima's engine and interior into a 6 wagon body, transmission, and suspension. Any ideas?
Old 12/12/05, 07:11 PM
FR500 Member

GirchyGirchy (Brian) - I was only stating my opinion of the A3. I just don't think it is a good small car value. Direct injected turbocharged engine? DSG? Nice to have, but running on 89 means you don't get all the power (personally would never run anything less than premium in a forced induction engine) and last I checked, a conventional 6spd manual is available. Add the options and it gets into A4 territory. For that much coin, I'll take a Mustang GT.
Old 12/13/05, 04:32 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by hi5.0@December 12, 2005, 8:14 PM
GirchyGirchy (Brian) - I was only stating my opinion of the A3. I just don't think it is a good small car value. Direct injected turbocharged engine? DSG? Nice to have, but running on 89 means you don't get all the power (personally would never run anything less than premium in a forced induction engine) and last I checked, a conventional 6spd manual is available. Add the options and it gets into A4 territory. For that much coin, I'll take a Mustang GT.
I know, but you said you "went to check one out." I was just saying that I'm surprised you didn't know more about the car if you gave it a serious look.

Yes, I know running 89 octane would give less power, but that's something I can live with. And even using 91, I'd be paying less for gas than my current car. While having a lot more fun!

I know the 6-speed is available, but I'm not considering it. It's slower and gets worse fuel economy in the city.

I don't understand what's wrong with getting into A4 territory. Every interior dimension is within an inch of the other car's, with the A3 having more rear legroom. The A3's cargo volume is only down 3.5 cubic feet from the A4 Avant, too. The quality between the cars is on equal ground, and I think the A3 looks better. Finally, when similarly equipped, there's a heck of a price difference: $36,660 versus $30,290 for the A3.

I forgot to mention the free scheduled maintenance for 4 years/50k miles, and the fact that Audi will tow my car to the dealer if there's a problem, free of charge. That stuff adds up in my book.
Old 12/13/05, 05:40 PM
FR500 Member

Just trying to keep pilot1129's needs pricewise and "curb the need for speed"-wise, is all. I'm currently looking for a new car myself and considered the A3 along with a WRX wagon, Legacy GT, MX-5, RX-8, and the Mustang GT. Having had a Mustang in the past, I've decided on the Mustang - at least if pricing and availability works out. Would consider the Subie's the next best thing to fit my needs (can put my longboards on the roof with ease). I guess I don't really go for luxury after all (even the Subarus are a bit too plush for me - I'm used to bare-bones cars). You should have told pilot1129 the positive points about the car earlier to aid his search. That info is helpful and is something to consider over the life of the lease.

Ahem, getting back on topic. Ever considered the VW Golf or Jetta? Maybe a Lancer Ralliart? (My cousin has one - he likes it). Hyundai Sonata? PT Cruiser (Consumer Reports gives it good ratings)? Or maybe (ack!) Chevy HHR or Ford Fusion? That about does it... Good luck pilot1129, with whatever you choose.