General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Buying From Out of State Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/14, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying From Out of State Dealer

There are a number of "internet dealers" these days who sell a lot of cars via ebay or other sites. I was thinking of maybe buying from such a place, but how do you do it when you can't see the car?

Has anyone bought from such a place? How does it work? Do you have to make a trip to that city to look at it? I don't see how someone can judge a car based on a dozen or so small pictures which may not show small damage or other detail. So if they claim to sell cars at wholesale or at least with a lower markup than a brick and mortar dealership wouldn't the cost of a trip negate any savings? Also, what do you do about an inspection. You don't know a mechanic in the other city.

What about a trade-in? There's no way they can fully appraise our car over the internet so how does that work? How would the whole process of buying from one of those places work?
Old 11/9/14, 10:19 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,199 Posts
That's exactly how I bought my '13 GHIG Roush Stage 3.
I live in MA and I bought my Roush from the number Roush dealer in the Country, Ray Skillman Ford. I got a killer deal, I couldn't pass it up. I traded in my Hugger Orange Camaro SS for it.
What I did was, saw the car that I wanted, was in touch with the Roush performance sales manager and I asked for a personal video that was uploaded to youtube, but set to private where only I can view it. I did almost all business through email that way I had everything in writing in case I needed proof of anything. It was a painless transaction for me through them. I can't speak for other dealerships as I have no experience with any other dealers out of state. The only downfall was paying for an enclosed trailer send it to MA. I could have used a flatbed, but no thanks. I wanted to make sure it got home safe and sound.
Good luck!!!
Old 11/9/14, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's exactly how I bought my '13 GHIG Roush Stage 3.
I live in MA and I bought my Roush from the number Roush dealer in the Country, Ray Skillman Ford. I got a killer deal, I couldn't pass it up. I traded in my Hugger Orange Camaro SS for it.
What I did was, saw the car that I wanted, was in touch with the Roush performance sales manager and I asked for a personal video that was uploaded to youtube, but set to private where only I can view it. I did almost all business through email that way I had everything in writing in case I needed proof of anything. It was a painless transaction for me through them. I can't speak for other dealerships as I have no experience with any other dealers out of state. The only downfall was paying for an enclosed trailer send it to MA. I could have used a flatbed, but no thanks. I wanted to make sure it got home safe and sound.
Good luck!!!
But you bought it new, right? That way would be easy because you could see one locally even if it isn't configured the way you want it and when the shipment comes its a new car so you'd expect it to be perfect. I'm talking about a used car, one that may be a couple years old. I would definitely go for an extended warranty but I wouldn't want it if the condition does not meet my expectations. And, how did they appraise your Camaro without seeing it?

Last edited by Pony07; 11/9/14 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11/9/14, 03:10 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Pony07
But you bought it new, right? That way would be easy because you could see one locally even if it isn't configured the way you want it and when the shipment comes its a new car so you'd expect it to be perfect. I'm talking about a used car, one that may be a couple years old. I would definitely go for an extended warranty but I wouldn't want it if the condition does not meet my expectations. And, how did they appraise your Camaro without seeing it?
No. Not that easy. There aren't many Roush certified dealers around. And Roush cars aren't always easy to get especially in GHIG and optioned exactly the way that I want. I wanted it to be perfect and it was perfect. Part of the reason why I went with Ray Skillman Ford and the enclosed trailer shipment.
I emailed my salesman the VIN, the mileage and a lot of photos on my Camaro. He gave me a quote over email.

Last edited by Stage_3; 11/9/14 at 03:10 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11/9/14, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok. But I wonder how it would be for a used car where I can't personally see the condition - and getting it mechanically inspected if that's even necessary for a car still under the mfgr warranty.
Old 11/9/14, 09:39 PM
dsp
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine out of state but it was new, so not the same situation.
I wouldn't buy used without an in-person inspection. If you can't look at it yourself, find someone local to the car to do a pre-purchase inspection. There are places that provide that service. You'll have to call around and do some research, but I know people that have done it. Or find someone on the forum the is close to the car, maybe they can look it over.
The trade in process can be done with photos and the VIN, it will likely be contingent on the car being as described and as shown in the photos. Would you really ship a car to them for trade-in? Seems like more trouble than it's worth. Sell it yourself locally.

For a new car, it isn't too bad. Personally, I wouldn't bother for a used car, find one local or go buy it in person.

Last edited by dsp; 11/9/14 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11/9/14, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I never thought of that. Those are some good ideas. I would not ship the car to trade - I'd drive it there, do the paperwork in person, and drive the newer one home. I'm ok with that, its just the pre-inspection that would cost a lot if I had to make another trip.
Old 11/10/14, 06:08 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by dsp
I wouldn't buy used without an in-person inspection. If you can't look at it yourself, find someone local to the car to do a pre-purchase inspection. There are places that provide that service. You'll have to call around and do some research, but I know people that have done it. Or find someone on the forum the is close to the car, maybe they can look it over.
^^THIS.
I almost did this once when I was going to buy this gorgeous '70 Chevelle SS, which I didn't buy and is killing me. lol
But, definitely do your research and make sure the company you are hiring are on the up and up and doing well at their job.
Good luck man!
Old 12/2/14, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
When I helped my dad with buying his Corvette over the internet we only agreed to the sale price IF AND ONLY IF the car is exactly as described and any problems were stated. We emailed back and forth albums of pictures, and agreed on a sale price, and only put a deposit down. We flew to the car, inspected it and drove it and when it was verified it was in the described condition, paid for the rest of the car. This would be the ideal way to do it, but if you had no way of seeing the car before full purchase, I would never do it.

I also bought my Roush through the internet, but it is a new car, so it is a bit of a different ball game.

Good luck finding a nice car!
Old 12/2/14, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I've decided to abandon that search. I'm going for a new '15 which my dealer is going to get because there are several out there.... they're just going to have some miles on them by the time they get it back here.