General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Big 3 quality gains on rivals

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/05, 10:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Evil_Capri@June 30, 2005, 3:34 PM
Yes they are. I was a little surprised by the results for the PAG group.

It surprises me how ingrained the faults of the Big "3" in the past are embedded into the minds of some. It's hard to dispute cold hard facts as reported by the premier association for said facts. The ENTIRE automobile industry has made tremdous strides in the last decade in terms of quality.
I was just looking at the numbers of Ford's premium brands and they are below average, nothing to do with what is or is not ingrained in my mind. I was expecting to see them higher than the Ford brand at least.
Old 7/1/05, 06:11 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1@July 1, 2005, 12:05 AM
I was just looking at the numbers of Ford's premium brands and they are below average, nothing to do with what is or is not ingrained in my mind. I was expecting to see them higher than the Ford brand at least.
Sorry Holderca1 . . I wasn't trying insinuate anything was ingrained in your head specifically. The second paragraph in my post was a reference to the "other" conversation going on in this thread. Sorry for the confusion . .
Old 7/1/05, 02:58 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TomServo92@June 30, 2005, 4:16 PM
The point I'm trying to make is that you don't know that for a FACT. Nor do I know for a FACT that they weight the scores. All we know is the INDUSTRY ACCEPTANCE (not just the auto industry either) of the JD Power ratings is a FACT. I find that FACT much more compelling than your SPECULATION.

Sorry for all the caps...I was just trying to provide emphasis.
I think they would mention something like that. This is what Auto Week said:

The Power study is based on responses from 50,635 original owners of 2002 model vehicles. The survey of current problems was conducted between late January and late April this year. A vehicle warranty typically is reaching its end after three years, Power said.
Old 7/1/05, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by Red Star@July 1, 2005, 4:01 PM
I think they would mention something like that. This is what Auto Week said:

The Power study is based on responses from 50,635 original owners of 2002 model vehicles. The survey of current problems was conducted between late January and late April this year. A vehicle warranty typically is reaching its end after three years, Power said.
OK....I'm not sure what that quote adds to this discussion since it pretty much states what we already know but thanks for sharing anyway!
Old 7/1/05, 03:56 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by TomServo92@July 1, 2005, 3:18 PM
OK....I'm not sure what that quote adds to this discussion since it pretty much states what we already know but thanks for sharing anyway!
Sorry, I quoted the wrong thing and the wrong source.

From the J.D. Power official web site.

J.D. Power and Associates surveys actual consumers by mail, telephone, and e-mail. The firm goes to great lengths to make sure that these consumers are chosen at random and that they actually have experience with the product or company they are rating. For example, ratings for the Lexus LS 400 come from people who actually own one. As a result, J.D. Power ratings are based entirely on consumer opinions and in no way reflect the firm’s opinions or preferences. When the responses from thousands of consumers are combined, the industry leaders have higher overall ratings than their competitors.

It never said that they weigh more toward vehicles that have bigger problems. Which means 1 problem is a 1 problem, no matter how big or small that problem is.
Old 7/1/05, 04:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Red Star@July 1, 2005, 4:59 PM
Sorry, I quoted the wrong thing and the wrong source.

From the J.D. Power official web site.

J.D. Power and Associates surveys actual consumers by mail, telephone, and e-mail. The firm goes to great lengths to make sure that these consumers are chosen at random and that they actually have experience with the product or company they are rating. For example, ratings for the Lexus LS 400 come from people who actually own one. As a result, J.D. Power ratings are based entirely on consumer opinions and in no way reflect the firm’s opinions or preferences. When the responses from thousands of consumers are combined, the industry leaders have higher overall ratings than their competitors.

It never said that they weigh more toward vehicles that have bigger problems. Which means 1 problem is a 1 problem, no matter how big or small that problem is.
Actually it doesn't say that either. All it says is the responses are combined to get the ratings. So what does it mean to combine the scores? As far as I'm concerned, the question is still unanswered. Nice try Zoran, but I'm afraid you've proven NOTHING.
Old 7/1/05, 04:40 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Don't you think they would mention if bigger problems weighted more toward final grade?

Nissan on that list at the bottom. There is no way that Dodge have less problems than Nissan. C'mon, you gotta agree with me on that. You may not agree with me how J.D. Power does rating, but you gotta agree that Nissan is better car than Dodge.
Old 7/1/05, 04:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Red Star@July 1, 2005, 5:43 PM
Don't you think they would mention if bigger problems weighted more toward final grade?

Nissan on that list at the bottom. There is no way that Dodge have less problems than Nissan. C'mon, you gotta agree with me on that. You may not agree with me how J.D. Power does rating, but you gotta agree that Nissan is better car than Dodge.
No, I don't. They're just giving a general overview of the process, not the details.

As for Nissan and Dodge, the best I have to go on is the JD Power ratings which puts them at a dead tie. You've got to remember that these ratings are for 2002 vehicles. Several years ago, Nissan was having a severe quality problem with their US made vehicles. They claimed to have fixed the problems so I guess we'll see in the next couple of years.
Old 7/1/05, 05:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TomServo92@July 1, 2005, 7:00 PM
No, I don't. They're just giving a general overview of the process, not the details.

As for Nissan and Dodge, the best I have to go on is the JD Power ratings which puts them at a dead tie. You've got to remember that these ratings are for 2002 vehicles. Several years ago, Nissan was having a severe quality problem with their US made vehicles. They claimed to have fixed the problems so I guess we'll see in the next couple of years.

I agree. The Nissans in the early part of this decade had a lot of quality issues. One such example was their interiors. They were awful, and were falling apart. I test drove a 2001 Maxima with my father before we bought his 2001 Subaru and it was god awful. The cupholders were flimsy, seats were very uneven, and the whole car squeaked and rattled the whole drive. Like Mark said it remains to be seen whether or not their quality has improved.