General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Any hybrid owners in here? Selling my GT on Monday for honda hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/08 | 08:13 AM
Cobra Member

you guys do realize that when you say "oh when im about 45-55 years old i'll get another mustang" well in about 15-20 years im not sure the mustang will be here; or any performance car for that matter. and then the price of the older ones will sky rocket.
Old 1/1/08 | 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
flyer351

read this

"Honda admits that it took a wrong turn with the Civic Hybrid"

http://www.dailytech.com/Honda+CEO+S...ticle10147.htm
Those facts are not correct. In the article it states
Whereas the Toyota Prius has managed to rack up sales of 167,009 units though the first 11 months of 2007 -- 16,737 of which were sold in November 2007 -- Honda only managed to sell 29,352 Civic Hybrids through November 2007.
The truth is that Honda reached the 60,000 mark at the end of the 3rd quarter in 2007 and now the tax credit is being phased out starting on Jan 1st. I wouldn't call the second manufacturer to reach the 60K sales mark as a failure.

Also, the Insight achieves the highest MPG of any car EVER made. It's lack of rear seat is what doomed the Insight just like it doomed the Fierro, and CRX. So I wouldn't call the Insight itself a failure,, it just didn't fit what Americans wanted.

I'd give the author credit on the Honda Accord hybrid. Honda went the wrong way trying to boost horsepower over fuel economy on the accord and it rightfully failed in the marketplace.
Old 1/1/08 | 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by robair
To those of you suggesting Magnums and Chargers, the guy has already said it was not just about the room for his family, but also the MPG's. He does have a fairly long commute, and now was really not the stage in his life for a car like that. People with kids would understand. It's hard to wait sometimes, but sometimes you have to.
Thanks Rob for the support. I'm not anti-mustang. I've been a long time member of Blueoval news, corral.net and stangnet. I visited Brad's site before there were forums and most were just posting at Blueovalnews and the other forums. Back then Brad was throwing up juicy tidbits on his family webpage about the upcoming mustangs. You won't find a bigger Mustang freak out there than me. I've owned Mustangs for all but 4 of my 16 driving years.
Old 1/1/08 | 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by boduke0220
you guys do realize that when you say "oh when im about 45-55 years old i'll get another mustang" well in about 15-20 years im not sure the mustang will be here; or any performance car for that matter. and then the price of the older ones will sky rocket.
Well, I'm 32 and my son turns 16 in 6 years. At that point, the civic goes to him and I'm back to needing only 4 seat belts. What 16 year old wants to go anywhere with his parents anyway.

My very supporting wife who bought this mustang even mentioned that maybe a new Mustang could be in our future after the oldest son inherets the Civic.

An so what if the gas performance cars are gone. They will just be replaced by electric performance. So as a car guy I'll just be modding my motor controller, batteries, wiring, and electric motor. Check out this link,,, this electric car runs in the 11's http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/videos.php
Old 1/1/08 | 09:40 AM

Thanks to all for your comments. I really didn't expect to get so many reactions both on the positive and negative side. But all comments were important and welcome. I think it goes to prove that car guys and gals are very passionate about our cars. When I cut the military decal on my Mustang's windshield last night I got a little choked up. Only something like a Mustang or Camaro can elicit those type of emotions. Nobody gets choked up trading in the old minivan.

I bought the Civic. For me it was just the best fit for me at this time. CVT transmission and MPG for the hellish commute. Seatbelts for the whole family, and enough geeky stuff in the powertrain to keep me occupied. On the 4 hour trip home, I averaged in 40-42 mpg at 75 mph. At 65 mph through Atlanta traffic I was getting 50 mpg. And on my rural country road coming home I averaged 55 mpg.

The power on the civic was sufficient. To get an idea of what it's like to drive, it's 0 -60 time is similar to the 90's econoboxes like Cavaliers, Neons, Corrola's, etc. I did a full throttle run to 75 just to get an idea of the power and it was ok. I easily kept up with the other cars accelerating on the on-ramp with about 1/3 throttle. I won't be able to downshift, bark the tires, and blast to 80+ on the on-ramp but maybe that lack of doing so will keep johnny-law away.

Thanks everybody, I'll still keep lurking from time to time just to see what's going on in the Mustang world.
Jeramie
Old 1/1/08 | 10:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by flyer351
Maybe next time I'll be driving a hybrid Mustang.
If I'm ever driving a hybrid Mustang, it better have a nuclear reactor under the hood!
Old 1/1/08 | 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

i'd drive a hyrbid mustang. ford make one!
Old 1/1/08 | 02:22 PM
GT Member

If getting rid of your Stang is what you want then you gotta do what you think you gotta do.

But as an Employee for Honda feel free to buy a Civic. If you can I'd wait a year or 2 for when we start putting diesel engines in the pilot and ridgeline. more family sized vehicles. civics are nice but if you want family space, even a 4-door doesn't have much room.
Old 1/1/08 | 04:28 PM
V6 Member

don't do it'''''''''''''''''''''
Old 1/1/08 | 04:34 PM
V6 Member

don't do it..i own a 06 gt..yea bad gas mileage..best i've gotten 17mpg...who cares,,i have a diablosport 93 tune,,run premium..20c more a gallon..than reg but a few $ more..o as 4 the hybrid idea,,i sell new hondas ,the hybrids are very slow,,clunky,noisy..it'll take u about 6 years to make up the difference..also not a great resale $
Old 1/1/08 | 04:36 PM
V6 Member

oooooooooopppppppppppssssssss i posted this 2 late.....
Old 1/1/08 | 05:27 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

this guy's a troll
Old 1/1/08 | 05:38 PM
V6 Member

flyer351,

I own a '91 Honda Civic sedan. I would get a Honda, but I would ditch the idea of getting a hybrid. The hybrid will bring you expensive maintenance issues later on. Just get a regular Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla, great mileage, low maintenance costs.

I'm on the flip side of you now. I am 50, kids are grown, mortgage is paid, and my wife and I now have time to enjoy things and are still young enough to do so. I am now ditching the Honda and buying an '08 Bullitt, and we can't wait to try out the back seat .

Come back to us after you go through the hassles of 30-to-40-something living.

Mike

P.S. God bless you for serving
Old 1/1/08 | 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Airwolf
You want a family car? Buy an American car, not a Honda.
2008 Ford Taurus, safest car in America.
2008 Ford Fusion - Excellent sedan.
2008 Escape Hybrid, very nice SUV with great gas mileage.

No reason to buy a Honda.
Agreed.

I had a Milan as a loaner, which is like a Fusion, V6 version, and the computer read out indicated I was getting 34 mpg.

The Imports are highly over rated
Old 1/1/08 | 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by dustindu4
this guy's a troll
Please don't assume I am a troll. Check out the photo for some of my previous Ford Motor Company vehicles. 6 Ford/Mercury and 4 Dodge/Chevy vehicles have passed through my ownership. This is only my second purchase from an import manufacturer. If ford had got the Fusion hybrid to market sooner I'd probably be driving it.
Attached Thumbnails Any hybrid owners in here?  Selling my GT on Monday for honda hybrid-carcomposite.jpg  
Old 1/1/08 | 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

this guy's a troll
Why did you say that?
Old 1/1/08 | 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by flyer351
Please don't assume I am a troll. Check out the photo for some of my previous Ford Motor Company vehicles. 6 Ford/Mercury and 4 Dodge/Chevy vehicles have passed through my ownership. This is only my second purchase from an import manufacturer. If ford had got the Fusion hybrid to market sooner I'd probably be driving it.
i think you'll be happy with the hybrid... it should do everything you were looking for it to do quite well. i'm also a ford mustang guy at heart but right now the civic makes more sense so i have an Si as my dd. did you get navi? also, i found that 3m film works well to preserve the bumper/hood/fenders/mirrors from chips. also the all season mats are nice. http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ has accessories for a good price... let's hope that we can get ourselves back into a stang when the time is right, as for now, what color did you get?
Old 1/2/08 | 06:57 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

[I can't participate in the conversation with anything worthwhile so my post got edited by admin.]
Old 1/2/08 | 07:21 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by robair
To those of you suggesting Magnums and Chargers, the guy has already said it was not just about the room for his family, but also the MPG's. He does have a fairly long commute, and now was really not the stage in his life for a car like that. People with kids would understand. It's hard to wait sometimes, but sometimes you have to.
I have a Magnum AND a child...which is why I suggested it. My wife has a long highway commute to work and 26-28 mpg isn't too shaby. Personally I wouldn't put my wife and son into a small cracker box like the Civic....too many morons out there driving around.
Old 1/2/08 | 07:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

or a homo
Why did you say that? Both of your recent comments seem unnecessary.

Quick Reply: Any hybrid owners in here? Selling my GT on Monday for honda hybrid