General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Any hybrid owners in here? Selling my GT on Monday for honda hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/07 | 07:12 PM

Question Any hybrid owners in here? Selling my GT on Monday for honda hybrid

Hi all,
I currently own a 06 GT. I just had to get the car after a stint in Iraq due to the fact that I had previously owned a '65 Mustang for over 10 years. However, the reality of 21MPG and a 25 mile commute (one-way) staring me in the face is changing my desire for the Mustang. Add in the fact that it can't carry my family of five and there aren't a lot of positives for the Mustang. I get tons of great comments where ever I go and it does wonderful smoky burnouts,,, but that's about all it's good for.

Are there any for hybrid owners in here? I'm going to the dealership on Monday to pick up a honda civic hybrid before the tax credit goes away. But I'm hesitating a little because deep down I know I'll miss slamming second gear and leaving smoke. Heck, the civic doesn't even shift because it's a CVT transmission.

Obviously, this is a pro-Mustang group, but what do you all think?
Old 12/29/07 | 07:20 PM

so you're trading in the Mustang?....I think the extra $100 a month in gas is worth keeping it.
Old 12/29/07 | 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by flyer351
Hi all,
I currently own a 06 GT. I just had to get the car........but that's about all it's good for.

"That's about all it's good for".......??? No offense man but if you really feel that way, trade the car in so that someone who will enjoy it can purchase it....... then go get your import.
Old 12/29/07 | 07:30 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

No hybrid but I had a 4 door Civic Si for 7 or 8 months. Great mileage, very good handling (better than the GT), great performance (200hp/140 torque), and excellent interior for a $22K MSRP. 6-speed, electric sunroof, and Recaro type seats are included. It does require premium gas but the difference in price might be an offset.

The local Honda dealer advertised invoice prices a few weeks back. I assume good deals are presently available. If you like Hondas you would love the Si.
Old 12/29/07 | 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by flyer351
Hi all,
I currently own a 06 GT. I just had to get the car after a stint in Iraq due to the fact that I had previously owned a '65 Mustang for over 10 years. However, the reality of 21MPG and a 25 mile commute (one-way) staring me in the face is changing my desire for the Mustang. Add in the fact that it can't carry my family of five and there aren't a lot of positives for the Mustang. I get tons of great comments where ever I go and it does wonderful smoky burnouts,,, but that's about all it's good for.

Are there any for hybrid owners in here? I'm going to the dealership on Monday to pick up a honda civic hybrid before the tax credit goes away. But I'm hesitating a little because deep down I know I'll miss slamming second gear and leaving smoke. Heck, the civic doesn't even shift because it's a CVT transmission.

Talk about being between a ROCK and a hard place !
You can`t keep it as your car,
Family first though, Good Luck !
Old 12/29/07 | 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by tom281
"That's about all it's good for".......??? No offense man but if you really feel that way, trade the car in so that someone who will enjoy it can purchase it....... then go get your import.
You are right, the Mustang rocks in many ways. It looks awesome,, it's so comfortable I swear the engineers designed it for me,, it sounds great,, mine is stock so it does pretty decent burnouts,, and I love shifting the 5-speed. Heck, my first car was a '68 Mustang which I traded for a '65. Kept the '65 for 10 years until I sold it before leaving for Korea a few years ago.

My challenge is this... I move every 1-2 years so I'm pretty much limited to one car for the wife and one for me so buying a 3rd beater for commuting won't work. I convinced myself that having only four seatbelts for a five person family would work. But it really hasn't. The car only has 13K miles as an 06 because I really only drive it as a commuter car on my 8 mile commute. No biggie for now,, but I'm moving to St. Louis and a daily 45 mile commute. Add in snow, road salt, no room for family, and it's getting harder to keep the Stang.

Just a few months ago a kid was on this forum asking if he should sell his '66 and I was screaming at my monitor,, NOOO!!.. Now I'm getting ready to do the same thing with the 06.
Old 12/29/07 | 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Look, you are a grown man with a family. You owe no one on this forum an explaination as to why you have to sell your Stang. People let go of these cars or tear them up everyday. Now unless you are just wanting to hear what folk have to say, remember; You go to bed with your wife and no one here. Do what you gotta do man and later for that Mustang. As for me, my kids are grown, so my Stang stays with me. Best of luck and FAMILY FIRST!!!
Old 12/29/07 | 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

Yea family is always first!!!!

but im still mad at you. lol
Old 12/29/07 | 08:13 PM
GT Member

i got rid of my two seater bird for grand kids,
Old 12/29/07 | 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by shwaco1967
remember; You go to bed with your wife and no one here.
whoa...TMI.
Old 12/29/07 | 08:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
whoa...TMI.
how was what he said, 'too much information' for you? husbands usually sleep in the bed with their wife, is that graphic?
Old 12/30/07 | 12:05 AM
V6 Member

Just something I am going to put out there.

Hybrids, in the situations they were designed for are a good idea. The idea of a low emissions in city commuter car that gets good mileage is a boon to many people who live in citys. However, there are 2 major flaws to them:

1. Their highway mileage is no different than a non-hybrid car. The reason being is that the electric motors only start the car moving. Once the car reaches a speed of like 30 or so, the gas engine kicks in and takes over duty 100%. If your commuting 45 miles each way, it doesn't seem like thats all stop and go city type driving where the Hybrid will benefit you.

2. Be VERY wary of the batteries on them. Most hybrids batteries only last 3 to 4 years tops. I can't speak for the Honda's, but my wife's Grandmother just replaced the batteries in her Prius at a cost of $7000 dollars. Yes, that is seven THOUSAND dollars and not a typo. Hows that tax credit sounding now?

I'm not trying to convince you to keep the stang. I agree that you have to do what you have to do for your family. All I am saying is that you should keep your options open and look at other non-hybrid cars and look at their mileage. I know at one point, the VW diesels were getting ion the 40+ range.
Old 12/30/07 | 12:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Factor in the additional cost (several grand) of a hybrid Civic over a regular Civic, and how much are you really saving? How many gas fill-ups will it take you to make up that deficit? We're talking years...
Old 12/30/07 | 05:21 AM
Cobra Member

Before I bought my stang I had a jeep Wranger. Loved the wrangler but unfortunately got about 14mi per gal. This wasn't a major issue when I lived about 3 miles from work. We moved about 27 miles away and the drive started to kill me on gas. The wife was all set on getting a focus to save on gas money. I personally have never been fond of the focus so I kinda was p!ssed she was getting rid of my vehicle for a POS. We compromised and got the stang . I owned a 68 fastback at the time and have loved stangs for a very long time. I was still spending about $60 a week on gas and it was still difficult to get by. A year after the purchase of the stang we are back again at the dealer trading it in for a focus. Traded it but flipped on the deal a day later after getting Sh!tty service from the dealer and realizing we had a focus. Six months after that we end up selling our house and moving 1.5 miles from my job due to us doing so much in the area after we moved into the previous location. I have one child so the mustang is still practical in a sense. If I had more I would probably own a 4-door wrangler or an Escape hybrid or something as the Mustang would not be a practical car for day-to-day use.

Good luck with the deal on the Honda and ignore the flaming poo thrown by others that think it's a sin to get rid of a Mustang .
Old 12/30/07 | 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
whoa...TMI.
Sigh...Ok...The old saying goes; "there are none so blind as those who choose not to see." Anyway, with the mess going on with hybrids, (don't ask because we've all heard) get a Volkswagen diesel. You get that inexpensive German quality and the have enormous fuel range. You also don't have to worry about batteries. Shop around and see what's out there.
Old 12/30/07 | 07:51 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Funny how you think your family of 5 is going to fit better in a CIVIC. Jesus H you make it sound like a conversion van, not a car that's actually smaller than the mustang
Old 12/30/07 | 08:05 AM
GT Member

wow seems a little strange, to drive 25 miles with a car that gets 21mpg, I drove 50 miles with a truck that got 25 mpg, never thought anything about it,
sounds to me like a good commute, but I would rather have the hp than the milage, but to each his own
Old 12/30/07 | 08:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

With a 25 mile commute you will likely get better than 21mpg anyway...more like 24ish?? And like others have said about the hybrids, the highway mileage is not very different than a standard non-hybrid model. The exeption to the rule is the Escape Hybrid. It gets 30 hwy, while the 4cyl auto non-hybrid Escape gets 26 hwy. I've been looking at an Escape Hybrid for a replacement for the soon-to-be-wife's Saturn Coupe.
Old 12/30/07 | 09:05 AM
GT Member

Talking

Atleast buy American....a Escape Hybrid would be a great family car. I can offer you an x-plan discount if this would help. I work for Ford. Let me know.
Old 12/30/07 | 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HAMRS_gt
wow seems a little strange, to drive 25 miles with a car that gets 21mpg, I drove 50 miles with a truck that got 25 mpg, never thought anything about it,
sounds to me like a good commute, but I would rather have the hp than the milage, but to each his own
Ditto on that.. When you got big horsepower, one does not have any business complaning about fuel ECONOMY! One knows what they are getting into with these machines. You want the horsepower/economy combo, get a Chevy Cobalt SS or whatever floats your boat..

Quick Reply: Any hybrid owners in here? Selling my GT on Monday for honda hybrid