General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Any hybrid owners in here? Selling my GT on Monday for honda hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/07 | 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Don't forget the coffee can tail pipe and shopping cart wing.
Old 12/31/07 | 06:37 AM
Service Manager

Going from a Mustang to a Hybrid Honda Civic is just like Neutering yourself. Talk about drastic change! You are going from having respect on the road to having absolutely ZERO respect on the road. (not that it matters but it's just making a point about the drastic change).

I can see the family need but the Hybrid's added cost and the wimpy nature is just a double negative IMO.

How about something like a Magnum....still looks good and fits 5 easily. $23K(starting!) for a Civic is a lot of money for very little car. Also consider safety...that is a SMALL car and just how safe are 5 people in a worst case scenario accident in that little tin can?!?
Old 12/31/07 | 06:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Food for thought: back in the pre-kids years, I drove a Honda Insight as a commuter (avgd ~60 mpg). When I would get home in the afternoon, I'd climb into the '97 Viper GTS to go rip-raoring, stomping the rouds South of Houston. It got 9 mpg. Weighted average of the two (weighted for the miles driven in each) was 39 mpg!

The Insight was a great mod to the Viper because it made Viper ALWAYS feel fast....I never got used to the HP...
Old 12/31/07 | 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by MrClean
Food for thought: back in the pre-kids years, I drove a Honda Insight as a commuter (avgd ~60 mpg). When I would get home in the afternoon, I'd climb into the '97 Viper GTS to go rip-raoring, stomping the rouds South of Houston. It got 9 mpg. Weighted average of the two (weighted for the miles driven in each) was 39 mpg!

The Insight was a great mod to the Viper because it made Viper ALWAYS feel fast....I never got used to the HP...
I love the idea of keeping the Mustang and having another car like an insight. Unfortunately, I move every 1-2 years in the Army so having 3 cars in a two driver house doesn't work during moving season. I tried the 3 car setup but it only worked for about 4 years before I gave up. Just too hard to get 3 cars and a U-Hual cross country with my wife and me. But the idea of an Insight and Viper is kewl.
Old 12/31/07 | 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by black sunshine
Don't forget the coffee can tail pipe and shopping cart wing.
I didn't see those on the Honda accessories book but I'll be on the lookout On a side note,, even muscle cars guys accessorize with crazy items. My '68 Mustang had air shocks and playboy bunny seat covers!
Old 12/31/07 | 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

you cant take that money with you when you die so you might as well go ahead and spend it. and enjoy the short time your here.
Old 12/31/07 | 08:01 AM
GT Member

god forbid

I've owned three Mustangs and I'll have another. Maybe next time I'll be driving a hybrid Mustang.
Old 12/31/07 | 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

Please think about this some more, before you make a mistake you already know you're going to regret. The Honda is a great car, but you'll miss the handling & performance of the Mustang as soon as you drive off the dealer's lot with the Honda. Trust me, I traded my 05 Mustang for an 05 Accord V6. I just can't sit in the Mustang seat for long, or I would have never parted with it. I miss the Mustang, but I can't move down to to the low torque of a 4-cyl for a few more MPG.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12/31/07 | 10:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

The hybrid version of a compact car is a complete waste of money, it would take about 15 years to make up the difference of just getting the small engine version. My gf's Civic hybrid was a nightmare being in the shop all the time and broke the plastic drive belt twice, and the slowest car on planet earth, its either idle or floored. And thats with two (thin) people inside. Trunk is small too. The first time you realize you don't have the power to overtake the mail man you'll hate it. Get a FWD Hybrid Escape if you want a hybrid, the tax credit is much higer(up to $2600-or writing off about $10k of your income) and it has more room and drives like a normal vehicle with passing power even with passengers. Not to mention its also an American car with real steel in the car's construction. Civics are death traps, they're only built to pass static crash tests. That or get a good used 4 cyl mid-size sedan.

That or don't buy Starbucks coffee each day, its more then the price difference in gas between a Mustang and a Hybrid.
Old 12/31/07 | 12:04 PM
V6 Member

I'm in the same boat in a way. I just can't really justify paying 800 dollars to keep the car. That is including my monthly, insurance and gas. I spend about 300-350 a month on pure gas on this car. I am only 22 but the insurance is under my dads name and still comes out to 2,300 a year. Gas in the San Francisco is close to 4.00 dollars a gallon. But I love my car! I Will probably wait until Summer or so to trade it in. I havent been able to save any money since I got the car and have a GF now. If I do trade it in, It would be for a Altima or Camry possibly Hybrids. Man, feel like im getting older just saying those cars . But my gf and I do want to settle down in a few years so why not trade it for a family economic car to save up and get ready for then. Sorry for the long posting hehe
Old 12/31/07 | 12:51 PM
V6 Member

My wife and I compromised... We only wanted one car payment at a time. So, she got a Minivan in 2004 that we use as a family vehicle (2 kids) and I bought the '07 Mustang GT for "Me" time - which includes commutes to work . She loves her minivan & I love my Mustang. Win Win!
Old 12/31/07 | 01:24 PM
Service Manager

You don't have to give up on having a car that you "enjoy" just because of a family or gas mileage. I picked up a Magnum that I am customizing for the wife and I'll still enjoy driving it....while still keeping other toys around. I didn't even go for the Hemi Magnum, I got the base 2.7L since it will be a commuter car for her. Of Course I avoid car payments at all costs which is why I can keep multiple "toys".

Also don't get stuck in the "new car" mentality....let someone else take the depreciation hit and pick up a used car and save yourself some money.
Old 12/31/07 | 01:37 PM

Drive a hybrid, I need your gas.
Old 12/31/07 | 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by kevinb120
The hybrid version of a compact car is a complete waste of money, it would take about 15 years to make up the difference of just getting the small engine version. My gf's Civic hybrid was a nightmare being in the shop all the time and broke the plastic drive belt twice, and the slowest car on planet earth, its either idle or floored. And thats with two (thin) people inside. Trunk is small too. The first time you realize you don't have the power to overtake the mail man you'll hate it. Get a FWD Hybrid Escape if you want a hybrid, the tax credit is much higer(up to $2600-or writing off about $10k of your income) and it has more room and drives like a normal vehicle with passing power even with passengers. Not to mention its also an American car with real steel in the car's construction. Civics are death traps, they're only built to pass static crash tests. That or get a good used 4 cyl mid-size sedan.

That or don't buy Starbucks coffee each day, its more then the price difference in gas between a Mustang and a Hybrid.
there's a new civic platform out for 06 and a new hybrid on that platform. crash tests are good and the hybrid has been well received.
Old 12/31/07 | 08:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shwaco1967
Sigh...Ok...The old saying goes; "there are none so blind as those who choose not to see." Anyway, with the mess going on with hybrids, (don't ask because we've all heard) get a Volkswagen diesel. You get that inexpensive German quality and the have enormous fuel range. You also don't have to worry about batteries. Shop around and see what's out there.

Got to agree with him. I have a 2006 Jetta diesel (for my wife, mine is an '05 Mustang GT). I figure one justifies the other. The Jetta is great on road trips, has quality German engineering, and can haul 5 people comfortably enough (as long as they're not all pro football players). Hybrids are so overrated.
Old 12/31/07 | 10:50 PM
Cobra R Member

flyer351

read this

"Honda admits that it took a wrong turn with the Civic Hybrid"

http://www.dailytech.com/Honda+CEO+S...ticle10147.htm
Old 1/1/08 | 01:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07stangKD
My wife and I compromised... We only wanted one car payment at a time. So, she got a Minivan in 2004 that we use as a family vehicle (2 kids) and I bought the '07 Mustang GT for "Me" time - which includes commutes to work . She loves her minivan & I love my Mustang. Win Win!
Same here! She got the Durango to haul the twin babies and 14 yr old to [insert sport] practice in '04, and I drove an 8 yr old FV6 F-150 until I could pay cash for the '07 Stang...and she'll get he next new car in '09....probably one of the new Seqouia's (sp?) with IRTS and the new 5.7L 391 hp/401 ftlbs V8's. Now if I can just convince her I need that twin turbo kit from Fastlane...
Originally Posted by SurfNut
Drive a hybrid, I need your gas.
BWAHAHAHA! Me too! I DILUSI (Drive It Like U Stole It)
Old 1/1/08 | 01:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hybrids are a green scam. Unless you seriously change your driving style and do most of your driving in stop and go where you can maximize the benefits of regenerative charging, the conventionally powered vehicle will get simialr mileage with better performance. (Batteries are very heavy). I know it is sacriledge, but condier a Dodge Charger. Seats 5 with comfort, has power to spare and dirves almost as well as a Stang. We have both. The Charger is not bad in snow either.
At least consider the Fusion. Gets good mileage and drives well.
Old 1/1/08 | 01:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Price of gas and MPG doesn't mean squat when you hate what your driving and do not enjoy it. Keep the stang!
Old 1/1/08 | 05:39 AM
GT Member

To those of you suggesting Magnums and Chargers, the guy has already said it was not just about the room for his family, but also the MPG's. He does have a fairly long commute, and now was really not the stage in his life for a car like that. People with kids would understand. It's hard to wait sometimes, but sometimes you have to.

Quick Reply: Any hybrid owners in here? Selling my GT on Monday for honda hybrid