General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

05+ Stang vs. 08 Camaro & Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/07, 08:10 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
There is no bigger Mustang fan than I, however, comparing "it" to the Challenger and Camaro will do the Stang un-justice. It'll be fun to talk about it, but the Stang will lose. The only positive element will be its "affordability" in comparison. I'm sure that the Camaro will yield high surcharges similar to that of the Shelby(maybe 5-10K) for the first few years. The Challenger may be a little cheaper. The real match-ups will come later when the 09/10 Stangs are unleashed .
+1

Totally agree. Only point I would dispute is that the Challenger will be cheaper than the Camaro. Word is that it will be a V8 only niche vehicle, which means it will cost more than either of the other two competitors.

Will the Camaro get a V6? I don't see how Chevy can make a business case otherwise.

Will the Camaro be more expensive than the Stang in V8 trim? Almost certainly.

Will the V8 Camaro spank the S197's butt stock vs. stock? Unquestionably.

Will the 2010 Stang re-level the playing field? Hopefully.
Old 1/29/07, 08:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll have more faith in the Camaro when there is evidence of some sort of mule, let alone a platform for the car. Who knows what is happening with that thing, they just keep showing the same undriveable show queens with unstreetable proportions that look like they were built by design students in the early 90's. The S-197 was all but set in stone back in 2002 after years of prior development, and Ford never had a product team disbanded for a decade. Good luck Chevy. Other then the Corvette, GM hasn't had a successful sporty car that even gained the slightest bit of popularity. SSR? GTO? Solstice? bleg, show me the money. Even if the phantom Camaro comes around by 2010, Ford will have had over 700,000 built vehicles' worth of experience for the next evolution. Not to mention its extensive OHC V8 experience going into the next gen of motors. Basically imagine aluminum SOHC/DOHC motors with vast supercharger experience with a block finally equalling or bettering GM's(and DCX's) only performance 'advantage'-displacement. We know what Ford can easilly do with a hardly-sweating 5.4, imagine what they can do with 6.8L.
Old 1/29/07, 08:21 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I'll have more faith in the Camaro when there is evidence of some sort of mule, let alone a platform for the car. Who knows what is happening with that thing, they just keep showing the same undriveable show queens with unstreetable proportions that look like they were built by design students in the early 90's.
Mules began testing in Australia in December. The car will run on the Aussie designed Zeta platform.

Nuff said.
Old 1/29/07, 08:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

So the 'plan' is just to borrow another car again? The GTO was unprofitable(and uncompetitive) in the $34k range. Hopefully they will do more then the facia this time. It suffered the same fate as the DEW98, not enough for way too much cost. And that was using the old Holden that the development costs were long absorbed.
Old 1/29/07, 08:36 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by kevinb120
So the 'plan' is just to borrow another car again?
That's not what I said, nor is it what's happening. You might want to educate yourself on GM's Zeta platform before digging yourself a bigger hole.

Old 1/29/07, 08:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am famillar with the Commodore. Strut front end, 4-link rear, and a little on the heavy side. With the Sigma being so expensive to produce its basically the same process the DEW went to all but being dumped to become the S-197. Technically you could put camo panels on a Commodore and call it a Camaro 'mule'. Yes, the 2010 Camaro will probably be a threat to 2005 Mustangs.