Southeast Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Jacksonville area Owners unite II

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/05 | 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

:bang: I totally forgot about FAMU...and that weekend is Homecoming??? No wonder every hotel I checked was booked...... Sounds like we either need to pick another weekend (back to the 15th? ) OR, if we keep the 22nd, then we have to go somewhere else. Thanks for the info nole_trainer...
ps- did you get your car yet????????
Old 9/7/05 | 08:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by leesi@September 7, 2005, 7:38 PM
:bang: I totally forgot about FAMU...and that weekend is Homecoming??? No wonder every hotel I checked was booked...... Sounds like we either need to pick another weekend (back to the 15th? ) OR, if we keep the 22nd, then we have to go somewhere else. Thanks for the info nole_trainer...
How about the 15th then?
Old 9/7/05 | 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

There's another school in Tallahassee
Okay so the 22nd is out, the next weekend FSU has a home game, so It looks like the 15th is go for launch.

Is that do able for eveyone??

It looks like the best thing to do is the Capitol complex downtown. Below is an excerpt form Frommer's guide online

The Capitol Complex

Florida's capitol complex, on South Monroe Street at Apalachee Parkway, dominates the downtown area and should be your first stop after the Tallahassee Area Visitor Information Center, just across Jefferson StreetThe New Capitol Building (tel. 850/488-6167), a $43 million skyscraper, was built in 1977 to replace the 1845-vintage Old Capitol. State legislators meet here for at least 60 days, usually beginning in March. The chambers of the house and the senate have public viewing galleries. For a spectacular view, take the elevators to the 22nd-floor observatory, where, on a clear day, you can see all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. You can also view works by Florida artists while up there. The New Capitol is open Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm.

Directly in front of the skyscraper is the strikingly white Old Capitol. With its majestic dome, this "Pearl of Capitol Hill" has been restored to its original beauty. An eight-room exhibit portrays Florida's political history. Turn-of-the-20th-century furnishings, cotton gins, and other artifacts are also of interest. The Old Capitol is open Monday through Friday from 9am to 4:30pm, Saturday from 10am to 4:30pm, and Sunday and holidays from noon to 4:30pm. Admission is free to the old and the new capitols.

Won't get in the new building, but the old one should be cooler. Also says there are a number of restaurants as well.
Old 9/8/05 | 04:13 AM
Bullitt Member

October 15th works for me.
Old 9/8/05 | 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by leesi@September 7, 2005, 6:38 PM

Build week is next week, so hopefully I should get it by the end of the month.

As far as the Capitol goes, there's a underground parking garage kind of behind it called "Kleman Plaza", an IMAX theater, and a few downtown eating places. Andrews is just across from the Capitol. All is easy to get to, just off US 27 (Apalachee Pkwy) and Monroe St.

I'll try to think of other eating spots.......
Old 9/8/05 | 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by nole_trainer@September 8, 2005, 7:36 AM
Build week is next week, so hopefully I should get it by the end of the month.
Build Week is next week? That is GREAT! If I remember correctly, it took about 3 weeks after the build week to get mine. You are sooooo close! WooHoo

Okay People....what is the date for this Meet? Is Oct 15th going to be good for everybody?
Old 9/8/05 | 07:32 PM
V6 Member

So Tally on the 15th and about 100 cars....I hope we all dont need gas at the same time.

Paul
Old 9/8/05 | 07:35 PM
GT Member

well here is a thought on oct 22 in savana G.A there is A mustang show. From what I understand there are going to be a good number of cars..... More then likely that is where I will be...................Also on oct 8 at the world golf village
there will be anought mustang/ford show................
Old 9/8/05 | 11:39 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

The 15th is fine with me. That would work better for Hatchman also.
I wish I could make the Savanah show, but it's 5 1/2 hours away.
I have a small local car show on the 1st if anyones REALLY bored that weekend.

Luke, when you're looking for places to eat, and for whoever makes the reservations, make sure we can look out the winow and stare at our cars.
Old 9/9/05 | 05:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@September 8, 2005, 11:42 PM
The 15th is fine with me. That would work better for Hatchman also.
I wish I could make the Savanah show, but it's 5 1/2 hours away.
I have a small local car show on the 1st if anyones REALLY bored that weekend.

Luke, when you're looking for places to eat, and for whoever makes the reservations, make sure we can look out the winow and stare at our cars.

Well, the places downtown are not good for "viewing" our cars 'cause we must park in the parking garage. Some of the places out on Capital Circle would be better for that, and they are only 5 or so miles away. Or there is an Olive Garden right up the street from the Capitol, with lots of parking - next to a strip mall. I'm trying to think of places with lots of parking, and in Tallahassee that's a problem. There's a mexican place on Capital Cir, it has a good size parking lot or Smokey Bones has good parking.

So is this my job???? Don't mind, just let me know for sure time and date.
Old 9/9/05 | 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Good work Luke! Looks like you get the job. Congrats on build week too.

The 15th is best for me, store where I work grand opens on the 8th

The show at WGV would be nice to get to but on same weekend, Savannah :scratch: hadn't heard about that one.

For those coming from Jacksonville, meet up place will be St. John's Town Center. The large lot in by Target, very front by the PetSmart. Does this work for all? Meet time will be 9am, leaving at 9:30am. PM me with questions.
Old 9/9/05 | 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK, here's my best shot........

There's a great little park (http://talgov.com/stormwater/lakeella.cfm) right on Monroe St. And across the street there is a Rio Bravo's and a Golden Corral. The beauty of this is that we could park our cars all around the lake, the lake is about .6 of mile around with parking just about anywhere around the lake. So we could in-circle the lake with mustangs!!! And if there is still not enough parking, then both resturants are right across the street with a large joint parking lot.

The Capitol is just down the street about 2-3 miles. For those of you that do not know Tallahassee, Monroe St is US27. US27 comes right off of I-10. If we are coming west on I-10 (from Jax), we should probably get of on Mahan (US90), that would be a nice drive into Tallahassee. Or if you really want to go out of your way, you could take US90 all the way from Jax (Beaver St). It's a nice drive, but would probably take 4-5 hours.

Let me know if this sounds good, and let me know how many might be coming. The other choice would be Olive Garden, and that's a good one as well, and it would have lots of parking to. But the phots ops would be VERY good at Lake Ella.............
Old 9/9/05 | 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I will not be able to make the trip but I will try and be at the meet. And here is a quick shot of my baby. Will take more later.
Old 9/9/05 | 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Is it time to go yet? How 'bout now?
Old 9/9/05 | 06:58 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

LOL. Anxious, Jewls? Sounds like you need a Mustang road trip to tide you over until the 15th.

Kevin, Car looks great. Glad to see you got it.

Luke, I like the lake idea. That gets my vote. Should make for some great pictures too. You guys will have to pry the camera out of my hands or I might stay there all day.
Old 9/9/05 | 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Lake Ella does sound great... lots of good photo opportunities! Lets do it. Thanks for suggesting it nole_trainer.

Boss- Where is this show in Savannah on the 22nd? I may be interested in attending.

StangNut- You have a show going on in Dothan on the 1st? Sounds fun.

GaitorBait- LOVE THE CAR...she is s BEAUTY!

I'm really looking forward to the 15th....Its gonna be a BLAST!
Old 9/9/05 | 10:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Gatorbait, nice ride she sure is clean.

Jewls-sit back, relax, deep breaths, NOW get in car drive fast!

I like the lake idea as well, (Luke if read this first disregard about Olive Garden in email). Photo ops are always best.

All righty then, lets get more in on ths gathering

:flag2: September 11, lest we forget :flag2:
Old 9/10/05 | 09:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Lake sounds good!
Old 9/10/05 | 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I need more pictures of my baby. The lake would be a great background!
Old 9/10/05 | 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Jewls05GT@September 10, 2005, 11:55 AM
I need more pictures of my baby. The lake would be a great background!
The lake will make a nice background for some "baby pictures".

Gotta question for the group: Am I the only one considering staying in a hotel Saturday night? Tally is a good 3 hour drive for me and if I am planning on having a few it may not be wise for me to make this a day trip. Just curious, because if others are considering an overnighter, thought we might be able to find a group rate some where....

Quick Reply: Jacksonville area Owners unite II